• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Items of note:

Assuming all members from USA Fed become part of NFCU, this should be an easy (and possibly very limited-time) method for anyone to join NFCU.

Thanks to wmarat for mentioning the merger in the $25 referral bonus thread.

UPDATE:

As of September 30, 2010, USA Fed is no longer accepting applications for new accounts via their website. All users are directed to open new accounts directly with NFCU. The "easy-in" is dead.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I think you are in the wrong thread and also you do not belong to FW.

fogler (Jan. 06, 2011 @ 9:09a) |

NFCU sent me a thank you card for being a long term customer.
(25 years)
They gave me 1/4 point extra on a new CD.

woowoo2 (Jan. 06, 2011 @ 9:23a) |

One additional benefit is that NFCU sends a copy of the credit score used when you apply for a loan. I applied for a NA... (more)

pnfisher (Jan. 29, 2011 @ 8:59p) |

Be sure to activate your debit card when you get it- otherwise they will charge you a $10 inactivation fee!
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Any advantages over PenFed?

NFCU member myself, good customer service and more branches than PenFed in my experience. Comparable rates and product offering best I can tell. Both in the COOP so lots of ATMs arround for either. Navy FCU has more branches in Navy-towns if that helps (e.g. San Diego, Norfolk, etc.)

NFCU does not have check-scanning iPhone/computer capability yet, but told it is coming in their next iPhone app version. The free bill pay with NFCU is better than the free one with PenFed...otherwise a wash I guess.

VerbalK said: Any advantages over PenFed?At least one advantage that's of interest to me -- a new auto loan at NFCU is currently 1.99% APR for up to 36 months. PenFed is at 2.99% APR for up to 60 months.

you dont need to pick NFCU over penfed, you can be a member of both, and take advantage of whatever deals each has...

From the merger FAQ that was posted today:Since I am not in the military, can I keep my accounts open?

Yes, absolutely. All USA Fed members will become Navy Federal members.

I just went through the application process for a credit card and bank account. It was extremely onerous and bureaucratic but I guess that's unsurprising since the place is called USA Federal credit union. They want utility bills, multiple types of proof of identity including copies of drivers license and passport, copies of pay stubs, multiple references, etc. The documentation needed for a home mortgage application is only marginally higher. I'll get all the paperwork ready tomorrow.

brettdoyle said: I just went through the application process for a credit card and bank account. It was extremely onerous but I guess that's unsurprising since the place is called USA Federal credit union. They want utility bills, multiple types of proof of identity including copies of drivers license and passport, copies of pay stubs, multiple references, etc. The documentation needed for a home mortgage application is only marginally higher. I'll get all the paperwork ready tomorrow.

all they asked from me was 2 forms of ID and paystubs, prequalified for a 25k cc.

if you reported living in a residence for a short time, or the info didnt match what they pulled from the bureaus, that may be why they want more proof of residency

they asked for the names of 2 family members in the online app, no docs from them

Did I do something wrong? I applied, but I don't recall it asking me to join Prime Meridian. It just setup an ACH from my bank account for $10.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: all they asked from me was 2 forms of ID and paystubs, prequalified for a 25k cc.Did you accept the credit card offer? Looks like they're adding an annual fee in the future, but hopefully all the existing CCs will switch over to NFCU terms before that happens.

From the Visa Rewards page:
Effective January 1, 2011, a $25 Annual Fee will be imposed. Annual fee waived if cardholder purchases exceed $5000 in the last 12 months.

howie888 said: Did I do something wrong? I applied, but I don't recall it asking me to join Prime Meridian. It just setup an ACH from my bank account for $10.
I am also wondering the same thing!
I am sure they will be surprised by the huge number of new applications.

I'm IN too, thanks OP.

I wanted to join NFCU for a long time. Though it does not have much better products than penfed, still it would provide better option. Also I live very close to one of its branch.

I tried the online signup. I get about half way and i get this error:

"javax.ejb.EJBTransactionRolledbackException"

anyone else getting this error? I tried different browsers etc.

xfmpcx : I ran into the same error, just started a new application and it was fine the 2nd time - also just log in and try to resume if it happens again. Eventually it worked.

I have use a local Credit union which I love (PSECU)
They have no branches at all.
They let me deposit checks online which the funds are available instantly and I get a week to mail them in.
I can draw my account down to -$20,000 because it is linked to my Visa loan with them (no cash advance fees).
CC APR is 9%
Used car loans I have gotten from them have been about 5% (currently 3.99%)
Free bill pay
Free Checks
Reimburse 6 ATM fees a month

The only problem I have is that to deposit cash I have to drive to a depository ATM, which is about 20 minutes from me.

Is all this stuff standard at Credit unions? Is it really worth me opening up another account, or is mine good enough?

PSECU is good because you can get your Experian FICO score from them which is a score that is no longer available for sale to the public. NFCU is awesome so it's definitely worth a join due to their nice rates and high credit lines. However, don't quit PSECU because you are lucky just to be eligible to join it.

Yes, I do enjoy looking at my credit score monthly. Well I applied, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks a lot. I got into the 'we will review your application within the next 2 business days'. I did also not get asked to join anything and during sign up it gave ma green light on eligibility.
Curious if it will stick but if needed I will just join Prime Meridian Association.

I did skip the credit card though since I didn't have enough time to do detailed research. Any reason to get it ? It did show me 25k credit card as an option.

Thanks OP

It will likely become a nfcu card. Never pass up a $25k credit line these days

Anyone joined today after 6 PM ... I am getting a java error, have tried at least 5 times in Chrome, Firefox and IE...

Thanks a lot. Had to login again and continue the application process after getting error messages, but it worked.

brettdoyle said: I just went through the application process for a credit card and bank account. It was extremely onerous and bureaucratic but I guess that's unsurprising since the place is called USA Federal credit union. They want utility bills, multiple types of proof of identity including copies of drivers license and passport, copies of pay stubs, multiple references, etc. The documentation needed for a home mortgage application is only marginally higher. I'll get all the paperwork ready tomorrow.Can't necessarily agree with your assessment. (Sorry - I recall a few of your prior posts, and I've probably more often agreed with you in the past than not.) Here's why - first, your post encouraged me to just for the heck of it, check how many credit unions I've joined that were considered “govt.-related”, or some-such, in some way, by some-body. I was not certain myself, as that is not one of the criteria I use when joining.

Turns out there are 5 - Navy CU (the subject of this thread), Penfed, NWFCU, AAFCU, and 1 other that I choose not to identify.

I also am a member of several other “non-govt.” CUs.

I can honestly report that the “govt.-related” CUs I've joined have NOT had applications, Terms & Conditions, requirements, etc. - in other words, documents, to read and/or to write - that were necessarily any more onerous to sift through or to complete than were the equivalent documents from non-govt.-related CUs. Apples-to-apples, they were about the same.

YMMV.

I found the application process relative straight forward if you have a scanner at home. I used drivers license, passport and 2 pay stubs and the upload application works quite nice to help you load and identify them.

I tried to join, but ran into problems with the identity questions -- they seem to have my data mixed with someone else's. Hopefully, I can talk to someone tomorrow and see if I can clear this up -- I'm in Atlanta, and theres no way I can make it to a branch in California.

Is it a hard or soft credit inquiry when applying through their website?

lovemydogtracy said: Is it a hard or soft credit inquiry when applying through their website?

HP on EX from what I read. Any students (or no income applicants) successfully gain membership?

What are the benefits of NFCU? Why is everyone joining?

skwz said: lovemydogtracy said: Is it a hard or soft credit inquiry when applying through their website?

HP on EX from what I read. Any students (or no income applicants) successfully gain membership?

Where did you read that?

We will now review your application
We will email you our final decision within the next two business days. If we need any further information to make a decision, we will contact you directly.

I skimmed thru the USA Fed account disclosures, and it states that a minimum deposit of $25 is required to open a checking account. So I got confused where in the application process, it only specified a $10 opening deposit and the amount could not be changed. Then I realized later that the $10 goes towards a share account, which is required to join USA Fed. From the account disclosures:

MINIMUM BALANCE AND DEPOSIT REQUIREMENTS
The minimum deposit required for you to open your Primary Share Account
is $10. This amount represents the purchase of one share in the Credit
Union with a par value of $5 and the cost of the one-time, non-refundable
Membership Fee stated in the accompanying Schedule of Fees and Charges.
If the Primary Share Account is closed within 90 days of the date of opening,
the Account Activity Fee listed on the Schedule of Fees and Charges
will be assessed. You must maintain a minimum balance of $100 in your
Primary Share Account to obtain the Annual Percentage Yield stated on the
Rate Schedule and to avoid a monthly service charge. However, the monthly
service charge may also be waived if the conditions stated in the Schedule
of Fees and Charges are met.

I'm not clear on the $100 minimum balance requirement for the share account. I wonder when Navy FCU takes over USA Fed, if any funds in this share account are as good as gone?

Very hot deal, I've been waiting for this for quite a while.
The Finance Forum didn't die, it just mellowed

What if you don't have paystubs?

EX hard pull confirmed:
UNITED SVCS OF AMERICA

TheMouse said: What if you don't have paystubs?

How do you join USA FCU? Just by opening a checking account. Normally for all other credit Unions, you normally have an option to become a member and then open an account. Don't see a membership link on their website

found the membership application. Please ignore the post.

relish said: How do you join USA FCU? Just by opening a checking account. Normally for all other credit Unions, you normally have an option to become a member and then open an account. Don't see a membership link on their website

brainguy said: Anyone joined today after 6 PM ... I am getting a java error, have tried at least 5 times in Chrome, Firefox and IE...
Maybe this suggests a possible workaround (comment from depositaccounts.com):Their security is a bit different. If you select that you are logging in from a "public computer" you have to have them send you a one-time use code via text, email, or voice call. You then use that along with your member# and password (numeric passwords only).

Selecting that you want to login from a "private computer" tries to load some kind of Java applet. Which won't work if you don't have Java or have disabled Java applets.

caterpillar123 said: What are the benefits of NFCU? Why is everyone joining?
It's just a good honest company, with good customer service.

It has good rates and sometimes has the best rates.

I'm afraid of the merger, however as it might change a good thing.

Sorry to ask this again but it seems like many people have completed the application and I didn't see an answer to my question.

Did anyone join Prime Meridian Association?

I applied through the OPs URL and I don't recall joining Prime Meridian Association.
I only setup the ACH for $10 for the share account....

Thanks in advance!

----Edit to add----

I'm asking because I wouldn't be eligible to join USA Fed w/o joining Prime Meridian Association.

If I don't hear back by the middle of next week or I get denied, I'll give them a call and update what I find.

howie888 said:
Did anyone join Prime Meridian Association?

No, but it did ask if I had family in the military, which I do, so I assume that qualified me. Of course, it indicated I was qualified before that.

Skipping 258 Messages...
One additional benefit is that NFCU sends a copy of the credit score used when you apply for a loan. I applied for a NAVchek unsecured line of credit (max $15K), as well as a Visa CC on Monday morning. Today I received a copy of my Equifax credit score. USAFed had denied my "pre-approved" credit card application when I initially joined ("too much available credit"), but NFCU approved both requests. $15K NAVchek, $15K Visa.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014