• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
link to credit card benefits
i'm posting here instead of the finance forum because this benefits people shopping at HD for deals.

some of the benefits of The Home Depot consumer credit card:
  • automatic 10% discount on light bulbs, trash bags, furnance filters and most batteries

• free first hour of truck rental with qualifying purchase over $100

• no interest charged if paid in full within 6 mos

if you are planning on buying the new ecosmart led lights ($19-$50 ea.) you can probably triple dip by applying for the credit card at the b&m (takes 2 mins.) and get 10% off the first purchase, get the automatic 10% off the ecosmart led bulbs, and get another 10% off if you have a coupon. HD now carries the ecosmart led downlight (looks exactly like the cree cr6 which sells for $60-70 elsewhere) with cree truewhite technology for $49.97 ea. link

i didn't see anywhere where you get 10% off your first purchase with the credit card, but i got the card approved today and the receipt shows they took 10% off my entire purchase on top of the 10% off for the ecosmart bulbs i bought.

i know most people aren't willing to spend $19-$50 each for light bulbs, but for those who want to convert to led lighting for their home the discounted ecosmart bulbs are by far the cheapest quality led bulbs available today. too bad the 30% tax credit for energy efficiency doesn't apply to led bulbs.

the free truck rental will come in handy for the few times that i need to haul home 4 x 8 ft sheets of plywood or other large or heavy loads.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Well, Home Depot Employee (j/k ) :

A lot of people are getting at least $100-$200 to open CC accounts, so unless you buy tons of light bulbs, that 10% isn't that great.

However, the no interest charge could be profitable assuming you have a big construction project coming up.
Also, just to get an idea, how much does truck rental at Home Depot usually cost/hour? Doesn't Uhaul only charge like 15-20 dollars per hour?

When I moved into my house, I routinely spent 1-2k each trip to HD. In hindsight I should have bought as much as I could to max out the 10%, then return whatever I didn't use.

Keep in mind they accept 10% off Lowe's coupons if you ask nicely, so you can avoid signing up for the credit card to get the discount.

The truck rental around here (Bay Area) is $19 for 75 minutes, which is pretty darn cheap already, but getting it for free after buying $100 worth of lumber is a pretty good deal.

AS mentioned before, it's 19/ first 75 minutes and all you have to do is fill it up with gas, whereas Uhaul charges for the rental, mileage, and gas. It's nice now that you can just rent the truck without buying something from HomeDepot. When they first started the truck rental you had buy something.

Oh and some people are reporting their HD's are taking the 20% off single item coupons from Harbor Freight. I plan on buying kitchen appliances with mine in a couple of months.

The 6 months no interest is routinely extended to 12 months if you spend over $299, which is pretty nice.

I asked for 12 months and didn't get it. Since the CARD Act, HD lowered it to months.

I asked for 12 months and didn't get it. Since the CARD Act, HD lowered it to 6 months.

Do they still do the special points promos? Typical rewards scenario is one point per dollar spent, which is the equiv of 1% back. They used to do some 5 points and occasionally 10 points per dollar spent promos. While we were finishing our basement I bought a $2,000 gift card during a 10 pt/dollar weekend (gift card purchases count for rewards points), then I could use it as we needed and combine with 10% coupons and sale/rebates later on.

This card should be use once for 10% off and then be closed after the promo period ends

Matr0skin said: This card should be use once for 10% off and then be closed after the promo period ends
Not worth the credit pull. I'd say if you're opening a new line of credit, you should be making $100 to $250. Considering that you can buy Home Depot and Lowe's 10% coupons off eBay for just a few bucks (and use them at the opposite store if need be), and considering that you can buy HD/Lowe's gift cards for below face value off eBay, I doubt very many people are buying enough merchandise in one go to make it worth the credit hit for what amounts to them giving you a 10% off one-time checkout coupon.

I believe for the free truck rental, it has to be done within one week of the $100 purchase.

I think there was some thread around here that mentioned a company that sells Home Depot gift cards at 12% off, but you have to spend $1000 on it. I guess you would use the 10% off coupons and stack it with the 12% off gift card. Too bad you can't used them to pay off the credit card balance.

I was told by someone in the store that you could always call up the credit card company directly and tell them that someone in the store told you that it was 12 months no interest instead of 6 and sometimes they'll give it to you. Not sure if this will still work with the new credit card rules.

centrifuge41 said: Not worth the credit pull. I'd say if you're opening a new line of credit, you should be making $100 to $250..if you're watching your credit score because you anticipate buying a home or refinancing a home then you should refrain from opening too many accts. i'm in a different boat - i have about 40 credit cards in my name and my wife has about 30. we had as many as 3 mortgages and 1 line of credit along with the 70 or so credit cards we both own. our credit scores are about 795 for me and 810 for her. most of our credit cards are tied to airline rewards programs and we racked up about 1 million miles over 20+ yrs of opening credit cards, usually 2-4 at a time. we rarely pay for airfare for family vacations.

we both have credit histories that are about 30 yrs long so it doesn't appear that credit pulls affect longer credit histories. whenever my wife wants to save an extra 10% she opens another credit card at the retailer. at one time she had 3 different Macys credit cards.

last year they closed about 10 of our credit cards (mostly chase and citi) because of inactivity.

henry33 said: I believe for the free truck rental, it has to be done within one week of the $100 purchase.

I think there was some thread around here that mentioned a company that sells Home Depot gift cards at 12% off, but you have to spend $1000 on it. I guess you would use the 10% off coupons and stack it with the 12% off gift card. Too bad you can't used them to pay off the credit card balance.

I was told by someone in the store that you could always call up the credit card company directly and tell them that someone in the store told you that it was 12 months no interest instead of 6 and sometimes they'll give it to you. Not sure if this will still work with the new credit card rules.

Any luck on finding that site???

lotusgardener said: henry33 said: I believe for the free truck rental, it has to be done within one week of the $100 purchase.

Well I never said it was lost. It's www.abcgiftcards.com

Never bought from them, but it was mentioned in another fat wallet thread and they seem like they're legit.

I was at Home Depot yesterday and when I was checking out (my purchase totaled $54 and some cents) the checker said: "Do you want to get a Home Depot credit card and get $50 off today's order?" I almost didn't hear what he said. I said yes and the process was to swipe a current credit card to give that info to them and then I entered 6 numbers: SSN, phone, house number, annual income, date of birth and something else. it took 5 minutes max, they took $50 off the total and I walked out with my items for about $4. This was in Santa Rosa, CA.

henry33 said: lotusgardener said: henry33 said: I believe for the free truck rental, it has to be done within one week of the $100 purchase.

Well I never said it was lost. It's www.abcgiftcards.com

Never bought from them, but it was mentioned in another fat wallet thread and they seem like they're legit.

I sell gift cards to Plastic Jungle all the time and they haven't screwed me over yet.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014