• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We're doing our annual rate shopping for homeowners and auto policies. I got quotes through Costco and the Ameriprise rates are extremely competitive. I have a vague memory of past posts in the Finance forum that Ameriprise does lowball rates to entice new customers and then raises them on annual renewal. I've searched but can't find any previous posts to support that.

I'd appreciate any Ameriprise comments. Thanks.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've had ameriprise for both car and homeowners insurance. The homeowners rate was the lowest that anyone could offer, at the closing table, the attorney thought I bought renters insurance. It has never gone up in premium, cost was about $231 on a 195k home. Car insurance is decent only I hate the web interface to update an address or review coverage, but I suppose that's how they offer cheaper rates. I didn't end up keeping the car insurance simply because as time passed, the premium did not decrease but of course my cars got older so other companies were able to eventually blow them out of the water.

I've had Ameriprise on my home since 2001. Excellent rates. I periodically obtain quotes from other companies over the years and they always come out lowest by 10%+. Had one claim for hail damage and found the response and claim handling excellent.

For their auto insurance, their prices are competitive but not as good as a few other companies in my experience. Likely depends on your situation.

Customer for 5 years. Car insurance is dropping slowly, home owners was raised once for $25.

We've had Ameriprise through Costco for both HO and Auto and it was fine for several years with no claims filed. In last 2 years they have rate creeped us to where they are no longer price competitive and we dropped them. Costco discount used to be much more substantial.

SunDiego123 said: We're doing our annual rate shopping for homeowners and auto policies. I got quotes through Costco and the Ameriprise rates are extremely competitive. I have a vague memory of past posts in the Finance forum that Ameriprise does lowball rates to entice new customers and then raises them on annual renewal. I've searched but can't find any previous posts to support that.

I'd appreciate any Ameriprise comments. Thanks.

this is the thread that discusses this

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/569815/

I know its old thread, but just wanted to provide some feedback and my experience with their claim process:

Home/Auto policy from 2005.
1. Filed a claim for "hail" damage in 2006 and got siding, roof, gutters everything replaced. Total cost 18K, marginal rise in premium
2. Before going to overseas on vacation, I added media package to cover travel related damages and stuff. Had a minor damage to DSLR and they recently approved for the full cost of camera, no questions asked, nothing to fax, no pics, nothing. Btw, do you guys think this will make my premium to go up?

Needless to say, I am extremely satisfied.

I give Ameriprise two stars out of five only because they generally offer lower premiums, and the customer service is friendly and helpful half of the time. I have had homeowners and auto coverage with them for 10+ years, and have NEVER had a claim until recently. Considering the legitimacy of the homeowners claim, and the fact that they have literally made several thousands of dollars in premiums from me over the course of a decade, I didn't expect them to slip out of my claim on minor, undocumented, technicalities. What good are low rates if you can't count on them when you need them? Lesson learned. I'm switching to a reputable carrier.

kburnum said:   I give Ameriprise two stars out of five only because they generally offer lower premiums, and the customer service is friendly and helpful half of the time. I have had homeowners and auto coverage with them for 10+ years, and have NEVER had a claim until recently. Considering the legitimacy of the homeowners claim, and the fact that they have literally made several thousands of dollars in premiums from me over the course of a decade, I didn't expect them to slip out of my claim on minor, undocumented, technicalities. What good are low rates if you can't count on them when you need them? Lesson learned. I'm switching to a reputable carrier.

Mind sharing? I just signed up for Auto coverage because their rates were 25% less than anyone else and am now considering their renter's policy.

I've had Ameriprise Auto and Home for a long time now (~5 years). Until recently I'd had no reason for claims. However last year I got rear-ended 3 times. All 3 times, I engaged Ameriprise and they dealt with the other party's insurance and got me full cost to cover repairs. In one instance, the other party's insurance had made me a lowball offer but all that changed once my Ameriprise rep gave them a call. In another instance, my rep had to do nothing since the other party's agent (stateFarm) set up a conference call between the 3 of us and said up front that they're taking liability and will pay for everything that I incur. And SF agent was always available on the phone and quick with claims reimbursement as well. If I wasnt happy with Ameriprise or ever want to switch, I'd consider StateFarm. Their claims service treated me fairly and quickly which is what you really want from your insurance.

I've been with ameriprise for roughly 4 years. So far so good, my only complaint is that the dont offer much online. I cannot print insurance docs or even insurance cards online.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.