• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link to card application: https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/thank-you-rewards-credit-cards/
https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-thankyou-premier-card/

Annual Fee: $125 However, this fee is waived for the first 12 months.

Terms"
Earn 20,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months3 – redeemable for travel rewards, $200 in gift cards or other rewards.
1 ThankYou® Point for every $1 you spend on purchases.2
Earn points for the miles you fly when you purchase a ticket with your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.2
Travel anywhere, any time and there are no foreign transaction fees on purchases, as long as you use your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.1
Share the delights of travel with an annual domestic companion ticket and a 15% discount on all air travel when booked through our travel provider Spirit Incentives.3
With no points cap and no expiration of points, there’s no limit to the points you can earn.

Hopefully not a repost!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
i guess they do waive $75 fee for citi PPE if you are citigold .

manuvns (Jan. 27, 2011 @ 2:38p) |

As an update, I did apply and get the new card, as did my wife. This makes it virtually certain the CITI AMEX will be ca... (more)

ProfessorEd (Mar. 01, 2011 @ 11:31a) |

I just spoke to two Citigold reps. The first one said the annual fee on the Premier card IS waived. The second rep said ... (more)

strikeoutk (Apr. 01, 2011 @ 6:59p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thank you for finding this great deal. 20,000 free points are always good for a few gift cards.

On a side note, this credit card seems to be the replacement for the Citi Premierpass Elite card but with less rewards and a higher annual fee.

kogerk said:   Link to card application: https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/thank-you-rewards-cred...
https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-cards/citi-thankyou-premier-...

Annual Fee: $125 However, this fee is waived for the first 12 months.

Terms"
Earn 20,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months3 – redeemable for travel rewards, $200 in gift cards or other rewards.
1 ThankYou® Point for every $1 you spend on purchases.2
Earn points for the miles you fly when you purchase a ticket with your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.2
Travel anywhere, any time and there are no foreign transaction fees on purchases, as long as you use your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.1
Share the delights of travel with an annual domestic companion ticket and a 15% discount on all air travel when booked through our travel provider Spirit Incentives.3
With no points cap and no expiration of points, there’s no limit to the points you can earn.

Good card for the bonus and no Forex fees.

Otherwise there are many superior cards for rewards, whether it be a percentage of purchases or miles flown.

Spirit Incentives is a ripoff and I would not recommend using their services.

Nice! Just got approved. FYI, you should be able to double this bonus to 40,000 Thank You points by booking 20,000 miles worth of flights to get the matching 20,000 thank you flight points. And you have a whole year to do the 20,000 flight points, as long as you cancel before the annual fee comes due.

ZapperO said:   FYI, you should be able to double this bonus to 40,000 Thank You points by booking 20,000 miles worth of flights to get the matching 20,000 thank you flight points.

This used to be the case with the PremierPass, but recently bonus points are not getting matched with flight points. YMMV.

In "Foreign Purchase Transaction" of terms and conditions it says "0% of each purchase transaction in US dollars." It seems fairly useless, as most foreign purchases are not denominated in US dollars, and they will happily apply 3% Foreign Currency Exchange fee.

FWMember00 said:   Thank you for finding this great deal. 20,000 free points are always good for a few gift cards.

On a side note, this credit card seems to be the replacement for the Citi Premierpass Elite card but with less rewards and a higher annual fee.

Didn't notice it'd been discontinued. I guess I'd better hang onto it. Hope they don't nerf it (any more than they have).

How bad is Spirit Incentives? Are flights more expensive if you book with Spirit rather than with major travel sites or directly through the airline websites? 15% off air travel seems great, but not if the prices are inflated.

It's hit or miss. I had the card for a year, and I think I called them 4 times (for 4 trips). The first 3 times they either had a too-high price, or simply didn't offer my flight at all. The 4th time they had equal prices and no free companion ticket (I forget their excuse) but offered $25 off, which I took. All in all, barely worth the hassle, but I would try it again for a chance at a free companion ticket. I'm more concerned about flight points not being matched by sign-up bonus points, because that turned out to be quite a good deal before.

At first I thought this card would be a mileage runners dream. However, it turns out that mile-based points are earned based on departure and destination aerodromes, not the sum of the legs.. IOW, you cannot rack up a huge number of points by flying from LAX to LAS, with a stopover in London.

[edit]
Actually, the rewards are still quite generous. Here's the terms of the flight point rewards:

In addition, you will earn one ThankYou Flight Point for every mile flown when airline tickets are purchases using your Card Account. ThankYou Flight Points are earned for miles flown based on the city of origin and the city of destination provided to us when an airline ticket is purchased.

So suppose you buy airfare from Orlando to London and back. The ~$600 airfare will yield 600 points on most cards, or $12 Cash Back on a 2% rebate card. On the citi ty card, you can expect around 8600 points to be awarded. Am I missing something? In this example, it would be like the equivalent of getting over 14% Cash Back; plus you still get the miles from the airline if the booking code allows it.

VagrTiger said:   In "Foreign Purchase Transaction" of terms and conditions it says "0% of each purchase transaction in US dollars." It seems fairly useless, as most foreign purchases are not denominated in US dollars, and they will happily apply 3% Foreign Currency Exchange fee.
That's not the intended interpretation. They should really add a comma, like this "0% of each purchase transaction, in US dollars," because the "in US dollars" bit means that the FX fee will be denominated in USD, not that the transaction is in USD. Of course it makes no sense to speak of the denomination of a fee that is zero, but the language of the disclosure is standardized (you will find all disclosures tend to word the FX fee this way. For examples, click "fees" on this page and this page

Also, the word "foreign" does not normally include US territories. Which means your interpretation would be senseless. There are some foreign countries that have their native currency pinned to the USD, but they don't directly use USD.

Sneaky.. It turns out that these funny "thankyou points" get a terrible exchange rate when you go to spend them. 8k points buys $50 Cash Back. So Citibank is being a bit misleading in being generous with points, then forcing you to redeem by buying Foot Locker gift certificates (in order to get $100 for 10k points). Many of the GCs are only available in small denominations, and essentially force you to throw away 1k points on each card.

They used to have more of the $100 GCs, true, but there are still some out there for you to get.

timbilky said:   So suppose you buy airfare from Orlando to London and back. The ~$600 airfare will yield 600 points on most cards, or $12 Cash Back on a 2% rebate card. On the citi ty card, you can expect around 8600 points to be awarded. Am I missing something? In this example, it would be like the equivalent of getting over 14% Cash Back; plus you still get the miles from the airline if the booking code allows it.

Well, there's 2 gotcha's, the annual fee and the fact that mileage points must be matched by purchase points in the same calendar year. The former is waived the first year, and the latter is (used to be at least) mostly waived the first year, in that the sign-up bonus points count(ed) as purchase points for matching purposes. After that (or after that stops being true, as is reported by someone in this thread), you have to forego better purchase rewards (on other cards) if you want to build up enough points to match your mileage points. You forego 1-4% in purchases to gain your ~14% on airfare, but the 1-4% is of a much larger amount. In your example, you would need to spend $8000 to earn enough matching points to get your $86 in TYP from flights, on which you could have gotten $80-$320 (1-4% of $8000) more in rewards using a different card.

Edit: math correction

In 4 1 . Thanks OP.

naas said:   It's hit or miss. I had the card for a year, and I think I called them 4 times (for 4 trips). The first 3 times they either had a too-high price, or simply didn't offer my flight at all. The 4th time they had equal prices and no free companion ticket (I forget their excuse) but offered $25 off, which I took. All in all, barely worth the hassle, but I would try it again for a chance at a free companion ticket. I'm more concerned about flight points not being matched by sign-up bonus points, because that turned out to be quite a good deal before.

I am confused...how could you have this card for a year and book through Spirit Incentive when the card and the affiliation with Spirit Incentive just started? Was this through a different program?

naas said:   timbilky said:   So suppose you buy airfare from Orlando to London and back. The ~$600 airfare will yield 600 points on most cards, or $12 Cash Back on a 2% rebate card. On the citi ty card, you can expect around 8600 points to be awarded. Am I missing something? In this example, it would be like the equivalent of getting over 14% Cash Back; plus you still get the miles from the airline if the booking code allows it.

Well, there's 2 gotcha's, the annual fee and the fact that mileage points must be matched by purchase points in the same calendar year. The former is waived the first year, and the latter is (used to be at least) mostly waived the first year, in that the sign-up bonus points count(ed) as purchase points for matching purposes. After that (or after that stops being true, as is reported by someone in this thread), you have to forego better purchase rewards (on other cards) if you want to build up enough points to match your mileage points. You forego 1-4% in purchases to gain your ~14% on airfare, but the 1-4% is of a much larger amount. In your example, you would need to spend $8000 to earn enough matching points to get your $86 in TYP from flights, on which you could have gotten $80-$320 (1-4% of $8000) more in rewards using a different card.

Edit: math correction

The biggest gotcha with the annual fee is that in addition to the $125.00 there is a $50 fee for each AU. As for the flight points, where did you see that the points must be matched by purchase in the calendar year? From all I have read, the language said something to the effect that "flight poins must be matched by purchases from prior periods", I do not recall an annual/calendar year limitation. Also, unlike the prior version of the program, the points do not expire nor is there a cap on the amount of points you my earn in a calendar year.

timbilky said:   Sneaky.. It turns out that these funny "thankyou points" get a terrible exchange rate when you go to spend them. 8k points buys $50 Cash Back. So Citibank is being a bit misleading in being generous with points, then forcing you to redeem by buying Foot Locker gift certificates (in order to get $100 for 10k points). Many of the GCs are only available in small denominations, and essentially force you to throw away 1k points on each card.

You can use them for Expedia travel and get a 10K point to $100 worth of travel conversion (plus a $7 charge per airline ticket).

pgrey98 said:   I am confused...how could you have this card for a year and book through Spirit Incentive when the card and the affiliation with Spirit Incentive just started? Was this through a different program?
I had the Citi PremierPass Elite card, which had what appears to be the same travel deal with what appears to be the same "spirit incentives." YMMV I guess.

pgrey98 said:   As for the flight points, where did you see that the points must be matched by purchase in the calendar year? From all I have read, the language said something to the effect that "flight poins must be matched by purchases from prior periods", I do not recall an annual/calendar year limitation.
Sorry, that was my recollection from the other card. Even if it's as you describe, you still have to do the spending to get your flight points. It sours the deal significantly. Obviously one would verify the exact terms in the actual T&C that comes with your card, not take my word for it...

I want to add that this card will also replace the Citi AMEX. Also, people can get free foreign exchange from a Capital One card w/ no annual fee.

Playa7x said:   I want to add that for those that this card will also replace the Citi AMEX. Also, people can get free foreign exchange from a Capital One card w/ no annual fee.

I assume without the 20K spending bonus part?

1.2 points per dollar on "every day" purchases is a joke. reduced from 5 to 3 to 2 to 1.2 over the past 5+ years or so. the anniversary bonus is also a joke. 5% bonus on miles after you've had the card for 4 years? so they give you 5% bonus after taking away a 40% bonus when you use the card. what a joke. the ONLY thing worthwhile about this card is the miles you get from the flight and the purchase of it. not sure on the companion tik, yet, since those rates will probably be ridiculous. looks like i might be dumping this one before too long. used to be an awesome card.

BrlDsguise said:   Playa7x said:   I want to add that for those that this card will also replace the Citi AMEX. Also, people can get free foreign exchange from a Capital One card w/ no annual fee.

I assume without the 20K spending bonus part?

On the letter I received it doesn't say anything about the 20,000 points. It just mentions that it will be converted. Also it mentions that if you are already enrolled in paperless (previously), you dont get the bonus that either.

same as citi PPE card ( with $75 annual fee ) but rebranded with $125 fee .
http://www.mainstreet.com/article/moneyinvesting/credit/debt/citi-cards-offer-big-thanks-bigger-fees

manuvns said:   same as citi PPE card ( with $75 annual fee ) but rebranded with $125 fee .
http://www.mainstreet.com/article/moneyinvesting/credit/debt/citi-cards-offer-big-thanks-bigger-fees

Received letter saying my PPE would be converted to the Permier Card, cancelled the card (was offered 3,500 TYP retention) and applied and was approved for the Premier card the next day (with the 20K bonus for $1K spending). No-brainer for me since I would have cancelled the PPE anyway because of the annual fee.

Does anyone know if CitiGold or Citi Private Bank will waive fees on this card as they did PPE? I imagine they will, but have not heard back from the Private Bank on this yet.

I also received a mail today that my PPE card will be converted starting from March. I also want to cancel and apply for this separately to get 20K. Currently my thankyou account is associated with another citi card and citi bank along with PPE card. Does anyone know if I would loose the points that were earned with PPE card if I cancel it?

This is the only credit card that awards miles based on distance, rather than ticket price. This makes it the best card for buying flights where the distance/airfare ratio is high.

VJ said:   Does anyone know if I would loose the points that were earned with PPE card if I cancel it?

You Becha!

mybuds said:   Does anyone know if CitiGold or Citi Private Bank will waive fees on this card as they did PPE? I imagine they will, but have not heard back from the Private Bank on this yet.

Also a Citigold member. Sent an online message through citicards and was told that $125 fee would be charged the first month. Not even a fee waiver for the first year since I already had the card. Planning to liquidate all PPE TYPs and getting the card switched to a fee-free card.

How times have changed. Citi used to be the cash cow (5% CashReturns, funding bank/CD accounts with CC, PPE when terms were good and loopholes were abundant, endless TYPs through account openings). Never thought the day would come where I would be considering Chase or BoA over Citi offerings.

You don't get the bonus if you just let them convert your card. You should apply for this new before they convert your other card to get the bonus.

Do you think they will let you get the card if you already have a CITI AMEX?

It does seem like the smart move is to apply now for the card in order to get the bonus.

ProfessorEd said:   Do you think they will let you get the card if you already have a CITI AMEX?

It does seem like the smart move is to apply now for the card in order to get the bonus.

I dont think the sequencing of applying for the card and getting the bonus and cancelling the card being converted matters as long as you can move credit to the card from another line if Citi requires it. I have a half-dozen Citi Cards so that was no problem, they would have given me the card with a $2K CL if I didn't.

ProfessorEd said:   Do you think they will let you get the card if you already have a CITI AMEX?

Sure. I did it before I posted it.

My concern about doing so before the conversion was to avoid being declined because the offer says it is for new cardmembers who don't yet have typ premier card. As of now, you don't have one. And yes, if you have maxes out your Citi credit exposure, they may pull from another account. Your soon to be closed AMEX would be a fine choice.

I also sent an on-line message to Citigold support and they said that Thank Your Premier would have the annual fee waiver since this card replaces PPE. They did say that there was no fee waiver for the Presitige, shucks.

pqiyulbos said:   I also sent an on-line message to Citigold support and they said that Thank Your Premier would have the annual fee waiver since this card replaces PPE. They did say that there was no fee waiver for the Prestige, shucks.

I figured there would be no fee waiver on the Prestige. In the past, CitiGold and Citi Private Bank occasionally waived fees on cards not listed as having fee waivers, but the Prestige is a stretch. Hopefully the Private Bank will waive the fees to differentiate from CitiGold, but even then they might only do so for HNW accounts.

vicester said:   This is the only credit card that awards miles based on distance, rather than ticket price. This makes it the best card for buying flights where the distance/airfare ratio is high.

thus the ONLY reason i will keep this card

i guess they do waive $75 fee for citi PPE if you are citigold .

As an update, I did apply and get the new card, as did my wife. This makes it virtually certain the CITI AMEX will be canceled when the annual fee is charged since there will belittle reason to keep it.

pqiyulbos said:   I also sent an on-line message to Citigold support and they said that Thank Your Premier would have the annual fee waiver since this card replaces PPE. They did say that there was no fee waiver for the Presitige, shucks.
I just spoke to two Citigold reps. The first one said the annual fee on the Premier card IS waived. The second rep said "every card other than the Prestige has the annual fee waived."

The third rep I spoke to when I called the ThankYou credit card service number to convert the Preferred card they recently sent me to replace my Diamond Rewards card into a Premier card also confirmed the annual fee would be waived. Did not qualify for the 20k point bonus though as that is only for new accounts / applications (didn't want to do because of credit pull, etc.)

Hope this helps people on the fence about this card...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014