• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Is there an advantage to the download version?

cameron2003 said:   Is there an advantage to the download version?
A few advantages:
1) You can prepare an unlimited number of returns instead of paying per return. You can only e-file five of them, but there is no limit to the number you can prepare, print, and mail. This is useful if you have family, roommates, etc who need to prepare returns.
2) During the year, you can do some "what-if" scenarios for tax-planning purposes. Create a new dummy return, change some numbers, see what it does to your taxes.
3) Privacy. This is not a concern for many people, but I don't feel comfortable having my personal financial data available on TurboTax's web site, even if it is password protected. I don't even e-file because that requires sending your taxes to Intuit which keeps a copy for their records and then forwards the information to the IRS. As an individual, you cannot directly send your data to the IRS, you must go through an intermediary such as Intuit.
4) I don't know how the online versions handle amended returns, but if you ever need to amend, you have the software on hand to prepare a new return at no charge. Does the online version for the year work after October 15? (I don't know.)

kb2120 said:   I just put $100 in a savings account and let it sit there. Been getting free Turbo Tax for 4 years on that.

I think I've had mine for 3 or 4 yrs. Got my statement and have earned a whopping .27 total! $100.27

Does this work for State Farm Insurance customers? The page mentions a State Farm Bank acct. I logged into my Insurance account and don't see anything about taxes.

No it doesn't work if you just have insurance with them. You need a credit card or a bank account.

Finally opened a StateFarm bank a/c and registered for TT. Thanks a bunch for all the useful information posted here especially the details about registration (wouldn't have known it otherwise). Now that I am registered, can I login to TT directly to complete/file my return or do I have to go through Statefarm every time?

lastgaspjr said:   cameron2003 said:   Is there an advantage to the download version?
A few advantages:
4) I don't know how the online versions handle amended returns, but if you ever need to amend, you have the software on hand to prepare a new return at no charge. Does the online version for the year work after October 15? (I don't know.)

I just went through the "amending" process last year. I had to amend 2006,2007,and 2008... ugh!

You cannot do the amending using the online version, you must use the download version for the year you want to ammend. Fortunately, the downloads from TurboTax for prior years are free. You get them here:
Link
You first have 2 options. If you have saved the desktop TurboTax file, then you can open it directly and then amend it. If you don't have the desktop TurboTax file, then you must create a new one - by filling out the entire tax information for that year.

So, if you are doing your taxes online - make sure you also "export" the desktop TurboTax file, just in case you ever need to amend it. That will save you tons of time!

Hello everyone, today I registered for the TT deluxe thru statefarm. but in the invoice I only see TT deluxe free, not the state filing. why so?
btw, i put TX as my residency state on Dec 31. although I was in NE for some part and have to file there.. did putting TX cause any problem?

dealmasti said:   Hello everyone, today I registered for the TT deluxe thru statefarm. but in the invoice I only see TT deluxe free, not the state filing. why so?
btw, i put TX as my residency state on Dec 31. although I was in NE for some part and have to file there.. did putting TX cause any problem?

Go through the "personal info" again. If you indeed were a resident of NE for part of the year, you need to specify that. If you were a resident of TX as year but had income from NE, you can specify that in the "Other state info". You will then get access to NE tax info. and need to "check out" again for the state part to show up.

Does the online version for the year work after October 15? (I don't know.)

I have found the online version a disaster for this type of problem.

When complexities left me unable to file when planned, I cold not get the work already done, which was lost.

In order for the Free State Return to show up in my account, I had to do this process twice. Once for Feds, Once for State. My "receipt" now shows both for FREE. pladaroller said:   How to fulfill "registration" provision. This is the key.

1. Log into your TurboTax account after you have gone through the State Farm link that tejalajmera posted. (If you used the TurboTax software last year, it will ask you if you want to import last years info...yes)

2. Go to the "Print & File" tab which is the last tab at the top of the 2010 return that is started.

3. Click on "print/save for your records" & enter your information. (name, address, phone #, email, etc.)
You should see the following:
Enter Your Registration Information
You don't have to pay to use TurboTax Online - Deluxe, but you must provide registration information before you can print your return.

4. Hit "submit/continue" at bottom right
You should see:
TurboTax Registration Complete.
Select Continue to File My Return and we'll walk you through the final steps.

5. You are now Registered and can now log out to complete your taxes another day or at the final hour.

***Please note that simply logging into your TurboTax account via the State Farm link does NOT register you...

I hope this helps!

Do you have to do your whole return before this works? I am not ready for that. I did my personal info and tried this, but didnt get anything about registration.

mikeydrun said:   In order for the Free State Return to show up in my account, I had to do this process twice. Once for Feds, Once for State. My "receipt" now shows both for FREE. pladaroller said:   How to fulfill "registration" provision. This is the key.

1. Log into your TurboTax account after you have gone through the State Farm link that tejalajmera posted. (If you used the TurboTax software last year, it will ask you if you want to import last years info...yes)

2. Go to the "Print & File" tab which is the last tab at the top of the 2010 return that is started.

3. Click on "print/save for your records" & enter your information. (name, address, phone #, email, etc.)
You should see the following:
Enter Your Registration Information
You don't have to pay to use TurboTax Online - Deluxe, but you must provide registration information before you can print your return.

4. Hit "submit/continue" at bottom right
You should see:
TurboTax Registration Complete.
Select Continue to File My Return and we'll walk you through the final steps.

5. You are now Registered and can now log out to complete your taxes another day or at the final hour.

***Please note that simply logging into your TurboTax account via the State Farm link does NOT register you...

I hope this helps!

cameron2003 said:   Do you have to do your whole return before this works? I am not ready for that. I did my personal info and tried this, but didnt get anything about registration.
No you dont. Meticulously follow the steps pladaroller outlined and it should do it. What step does it not work?

I am still unclear how to do this so as to end up with the state tax version.

ProfessorEd said:   I am still unclear how to do this so as to end up with the state tax version.

Go far enough through the guided information gathering where you have input your address and where it asks if you made money in any other state etc. Once you have that entered, that should be enough for it to pick up the need for a state return and then you should be able to do the registration. I did this a few weeks ago and certainly did not input all information to file a return (as I'm still waiting on forms!) and when I completed the registration it listed the state return as part of my "order."

Thank you for encouraging me to try again. I hadn't transferred federal to state. Once I did that (and all I had was personal info) I followed the registration info posted here and now both fed and state show up in my order status. I am good to go!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this in the past and been told they were not eligible because 25,000 people had registered before them?

Hasn't for a few years, unfortunately. I managed to get two years free awhile back. Now I'm hunting for coupon codes

Neidman said:   Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this in the past and been told they were not eligible because 25,000 people had registered before them?

Yes, last year when I waited too long.

I have had online access to my State Farm Bank account for the last 2 days, but do not see the free TurboTax yet. Is this offer still on? Where exactly does it appear? In the main "My Account" State Farm page where it shows Bank, Insurance, and Mutual Fund accounts? Or in the "Accounts overview" page for the Bank?

Can someone who can see the offer post the link here, as long as there is no PII?

In the main "My account" page (which lists Bank, Insurance, and Mutual Fund). It should be near the top right (right above "additional links" and "agent"). I still see it there.

uutxs said:   In the main "My account" page (which lists Bank, Insurance, and Mutual Fund). It should be near the top right (right above "additional links" and "agent"). I still see it there.

Thanks. What URL do you go to when you click on "Learn More"?

TheHimalayas said:   I have had online access to my State Farm Bank account for the last 2 days, but do not see the free TurboTax yet. Is this offer still on? Where exactly does it appear? In the main "My Account" State Farm page where it shows Bank, Insurance, and Mutual Fund accounts? Or in the "Accounts overview" page for the Bank?

Can someone who can see the offer post the link here, as long as there is no PII?

Several people have said it takes "a few" days for it to show up on their account page. Give it another day and it will probably be there...

TheHimalayas said:   uutxs said:   In the main "My account" page (which lists Bank, Insurance, and Mutual Fund). It should be near the top right (right above "additional links" and "agent"). I still see it there.

https://online.statefarm.com/apps/Portal/TaxSoftJump.asp?WT.svl=704

uutxs said:   TheHimalayas said:   uutxs said:   In the main "My account" page (which lists Bank, Insurance, and Mutual Fund). It should be near the top right (right above "additional links" and "agent"). I still see it there.

https://online.statefarm.com/apps/Portal/TaxSoftJump.asp?WT.svl=...

Fantastic, thank you uutxs! I still do not see the TurboTax link on my account, but once I am logged in, I am able to access the TurboTax website with the free and discounted prices via this link just fine!

BTW, this link works as well: https://my.statefarm.com/apps/portal/taxsoftjump.asp

25,000 registrations hadn't been reached until a few minutes back. I opened an account last week and today when my deposit transferred to my a/c , I saw the Turbo Tax link and was able to register. Thanks for the very detailed steps.

So for those on the sidelines, the deal is very much alive and I doubt most of the people (non-slickdealers ) will be registering.

Does anyone know if I can buy the downloadable version for someone through StateFarm, and then also use the online one for free myself?

Are you sure credit card holders can get free TurboTax? I was able to do that for the last two years for free thanks to the earlier posting regarding this on FW. But when I login now, it keeps taking me in circular loops. Also, does anyone know if SF has reached their 25K limit?

Yes -- State Farm has reached the 25k limit. I noticed it today, and I hadn't yet filed, so I was a bit bummed. However, when I filed today, TurboTax still showed a $0 cost for me -- so I'm guessing that it's based on when you initially linked over from StateFarm to begin your 2010 return. However, no "new" customers can get free TurboTax for the 2010 filing year.

EDIT: just saw the posts above saying that just logging in does NOT get you the free filing. I guess I must have "registered" or printed at some point. In any case, State Farm HAS hit the 25k mark: http://www.statefarm.com/landing/turbo_tax_10.asp

Glad we all registered early!

From State Farm's site 3-25-11:
Thanks for your interest in our free TurboTax offer for State Farm Bank Customers. We have reached our limit of 25,000.

If you have already registered for the free offer, but have not yet filed your taxes please continue at TurboTax.com.

If not, you can take advantage of our TurboTax discount offer until April 15.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014