• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
willieroe said:   djmadfx said:   I received an email too. It would be nice to receive a CLI for the "hassle".
As did I. I wonder if free credit monitoring will be offered?
I was hoping that ONLY the numbers were compromised and NOT all of our information.

I got same message on 12/23 and saw the new card added in my account same day.

Same, but I was still able to use my old card without issue... It'd be more of a problem if they cut the old card off without telling me..

Got it also, must have been a fairly big breach.

I am geeting a new AMEX but not Visa. Old cards will be active until Jan 31 according to the email I received. My new account is already showing up online.

It IS kinda strange. I know someone with two cash rewards cards and they are both being changed (shows online he has 4 cards at the moment)
I, however, have not received the email or additional account online.

Got the notice for two of my penfed cards including one that's only a month old

There must gave been some massive data breach... Imagine the costs to send out Millons of new cards and letters

What a pain in the *ss! Just found out today online an hour before going out for New Year's eve.

A potential problem for me (it may also possibly impact others here) was that I need to have over $650 in charges on my new Penfed AMEX before mid-January to get my 20K miles. I was a little lower than I thought - I had around $1,000 in charges - but now thanks to this mess it is split between 2 AMEX card numbers, neither one of which ALONE has over $600! Called and am having them send a letter (not just the generic BS form letter), that confirms I charged over the limit and got the miles.

I had a lot of respect for PenFed previously - now they're in the "wait and see" category.

EDIT - OK, now I see the email from them from a couple days ago. Still a pain in the *ss - I'd vowed to NOT check most email during vacation!

Also, I noticed that someone above posted that his (fairly new) Penfed VISA was included in the reissue - FYI, my much older one was not. Wonder whether the breach only involves fairly recently-issued cards?

my Visa was issued in March-ish. It was not affected.

I had a bunch of fraudulent transactions post to my PF Visa about couple months ago; all relatively small amounts <$100 total. Indeed, I came to know about it when the fraud prevention dept. called me about a charge which I obviously did not authorize; that charge was blocked in time by PF. That is when I noticed that a few unauthorized transactions had already posted. Anyway, they were all taken care of by PF and a new card was issued some weeks ago. And now THAT is being replaced by another one; have not received the physical card though.

My Penfed Rewards Visa card was also re-issued. The original card was issued in July 2010.
Now I have to go through all my billing companies and update my info as I used this card for auto-paying all of my bills. Better safe than sorry I guess...

tjguitar85 said:   my Visa was issued in March-ish. It was not affected.

Spoke too soon. now it's showing a new Visa acct #. Annoying.

tjguitar85 said:   tjguitar85 said:   my Visa was issued in March-ish. It was not affected.

Showing where? Online at Penfed or as a new account on your reports?

clutchcargo777 said:   tjguitar85 said:   tjguitar85 said:   my Visa was issued in March-ish. It was not affected.

Showing where? Online at Penfed or as a new account on your reports?

Penfed online. they did a balance transfer from my original acct # to the new one on 12/31.

weird, I haven't received any replacements for my penfed cash rewards visa. I don't see a new account listed in my online profile either.

I haven't received any replacements yet, but the new accounts are listed.

Add me to the list. Getting a new AMEX and Visa. I run everything I can through those cards, so having different charges temporarily listed under two accounts for each card gets a little confusing. Still, I'm glad they are taking security seriously (assuming this is more of a preventive measure than a known loss of sensitive data, as a PenFed rep told me yesterday).

I saw this first on my Experian report. I worry about the autopay. It was not clear that the autopay was setup for the new card. I'll be watching for it.

Got my new cards today, they are pretty, Blue instead of gray

I got the email about the change to my Pen Fed CC account. I thought it was because I submitted an overseas purchase that was rejected (and then presumed to be fraudulent) a few weeks ago. But it appears that I was not the only one who got the change.

RS4Rings said:   Got my new cards today, they are pretty, Blue instead of grayHow nice. Hopefully they still have some kind of variation of a pentagonal icon on the front, so we can tell them from other cards. Still waiting on mine...

I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...

jeepzy3 said:   I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...

same, and credit karma says my average account age has dropped due to the new account showing...

kinda lame...

Crap. I use this card for some of my recurring subscriptions and now I have to change every one of them. Second time in 6 months.

got my new card in the mail today, when activating they not only asked me for SSN and DOB but also my penfed member #

jwk1000 said:   I saw this first on my Experian report. I worry about the autopay. It was not clear that the autopay was setup for the new card. I'll be watching for it.

About two years ago I had to get a new card number due to fraud on my old PenFed Visa. I neglected to change the online bill pay for it manually. Then 6 months later I checked the morning after my bank's bill pay push at the PenFed card for some reason. That's when I noticed that it and the last 6 months of payments had been noted "Payment from XXXX" with the last four of my old card listed. Thus, I doubt you have anything to worry about it. Just update it when it's convenient.

Based on a couple comments above, is Penfed reporting the new account # to the bureaus as a newly opened account (in terms of account age)?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   got my new card in the mail today, when activating they not only asked me for SSN and DOB but also my penfed member #

Dialed the activation line from my home phone, punched in the credit card number, and that was it.

I got this same message on both my new Penfed AMEX (opened in October) and my Platinum Cash Rewards (new in September because of a previous security issue). Now neither card works (had a transaction fail yesterday online) and new cards haven't arrived.

I'm on vacation this week, but I guess I won't be spending any money :/

c3 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   got my new card in the mail today, when activating they not only asked me for SSN and DOB but also my penfed member #

Dialed the activation line from my home phone, punched in the credit card number, and that was it.

Same here, guessing SiS did not call from his home phone thats in Penfed system?

yeah probably didnt. Cant remember if my cell is listed as my home phone with penfed.

jmel said:   jeepzy3 said:   I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...

same, and credit karma says my average account age has dropped due to the new account showing...

kinda lame...
Interesting, 'cause maybe this partly shoots down my theory that most or all of these "breach" cards were recently issued, therefore re-issues should not matter that much in terms of average account age...

dl73 said:   Based on a couple comments above, is Penfed reporting the new account # to the bureaus as a newly opened account (in terms of account age)?

That's my understanding, but I have not pulled a full report, only seen what popped up on credit karma. I have not opened any new accounts either.

Just got new card and account number for the never-used debit card they gave me with with the checking account I opened about 6 months ago. Good to hear it wasn't just me...

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/pdf/pentagon.pdf

Occasional said:   http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/pdf/pentagon.pdf

Thanks for the link. 2 years of protection according to the letter template.

As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...

jmel said:   As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...

Well, I'm NOT a New Hampshire resident and I have a credit card being assigned a new number.

texasnightowl said:   jmel said:   As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...

Well, I'm NOT a New Hampshire resident and I have a credit card being assigned a new number.

Sure, me too. But I am wondering if that was a safety precaution or if that letter simply addressed New Hampshire residents because it was addressed to a New Hampshire office.

Got my new card AND the separate letter today.

Letter references a "data security breach in mid December 2010 in which some of your personal information was improperly accessed." They have "no indication that your information has been misused." But, the information "may have included your name, address, SSN, CC# and/or debit card #." No PINs or passwords were accessed or obtained.

"...as a precautionary measure...we have engaged Kroll Inc. to provide you with its ID TheftSmart service at no cost to you." ... "We are offering you two years of FREE access to ID TheftSmart, which includes the following: Current Credit Report, Continuous Credit Monitoring, Enhanced Identity Theft Consultation and Restoration."

Letter includes an ID TheftSmart Membership number and instructs you to visit a website to complete the authorization and provides an alternative for offline credit services.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014