Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

PenFed new account number issued - no clear explanation why

5 of 13
SUCKISSTAPLES
1/5/11 6:36 AM
yeah probably didnt. Cant remember if my cell is listed as my home phone with penfed.
fw9999
1/5/11 6:11 PM
jmel said:   

jeepzy3 said:   

I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...

same, and credit karma says my average account age has dropped due to the new account showing...

kinda lame...

Interesting, 'cause maybe this partly shoots down my theory that most or all of these "breach" cards were recently issued, therefore re-issues should not matter that much in terms of average account age...
jmel
1/5/11 6:17 PM
dl73 said:   

Based on a couple comments above, is Penfed reporting the new account # to the bureaus as a newly opened account (in terms of account age)?

That's my understanding, but I have not pulled a full report, only seen what popped up on credit karma. I have not opened any new accounts either.
polaris
1/6/11 7:23 AM
Just got new card and account number for the never-used debit card they gave me with with the checking account I opened about 6 months ago. Good to hear it wasn't just me...
Occasional
1/6/11 1:22 PM
http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/pdf/pentagon.pdf
CycloneFW
1/6/11 1:28 PM
Occasional said:   

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/pdf/pentagon.pdf

Thanks for the link. 2 years of protection according to the letter template.
jmel
1/6/11 2:46 PM
As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...
texasnightowl
1/6/11 2:52 PM
jmel said:   

As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...

Well, I'm NOT a New Hampshire resident and I have a credit card being assigned a new number.
jmel
1/6/11 2:56 PM
texasnightowl said:   

jmel said:   

Well, I'm NOT a New Hampshire resident and I have a credit card being assigned a new number.

Sure, me too. But I am wondering if that was a safety precaution or if that letter simply addressed New Hampshire residents because it was addressed to a New Hampshire office.
texasnightowl
1/6/11 6:25 PM
Got my new card AND the separate letter today.

Letter references a "data security breach in mid December 2010 in which some of your personal information was improperly accessed." They have "no indication that your information has been misused." But, the information "may have included your name, address, SSN, CC# and/or debit card #." No PINs or passwords were accessed or obtained.

"...as a precautionary measure...we have engaged Kroll Inc. to provide you with its ID TheftSmart service at no cost to you." ... "We are offering you two years of FREE access to ID TheftSmart, which includes the following: Current Credit Report, Continuous Credit Monitoring, Enhanced Identity Theft Consultation and Restoration."

Letter includes an ID TheftSmart Membership number and instructs you to visit a website to complete the authorization and provides an alternative for offline credit services.
5 of 13
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.