Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

PenFed new account number issued - no clear explanation why

First page
1 of 13
RussianInNYC
12/23/10 7:35 AM
I have logged in to my online banking and noticed that PenFed had issued a new account number for my AMEX - but the old card is still valid for some time.
The same has happened to my wife.

They give no explanation - this is just a precautionary measure /etc/etc.
Not that I am worried to much - but am wondering what could have prompted them for such an action (was there any massive data breach? if yes - should it have been disclosed?)
WikiPost
12/23/10 7:35 AM
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
BEEFjerKAY
12/23/10 7:47 AM
RussianInNYC said:   

was there any massive data breach? if yes - should it have been disclosed?

Yes. But there are time limits on when it is required to be communicated. Fix-first-then-report is a common practice. Assuming there was any such breach, of course.
Scifiguy123
12/23/10 10:28 AM
I got the same message. There is a telephone # listed if you want more info - 1(800)247-5626.
vipercon
12/23/10 10:32 AM
Just FYI, they reissued my visa that is only 2 months old as well.
loganj
12/23/10 10:45 AM
There's now an explanation for the newly issued PF cards:

A new credit card is being provided to you as a precautionary measure against any potential fraud exposure. A separate letter with additional information will be mailed to you, which you will receive shortly.

Please activate your new card as soon as you receive it, but not later than January 31, 2011. After activation or January 31st, whichever occurs first, you will no longer be able to use your old credit card.

Charges that are made to the old card prior to activation of the new card will be transferred to the new card automatically. Remember, should you have any automatic payments charged to your old credit card you need to notify those companies of your new card number and expiration date.

As always, PenFed assumes all responsibility for all unauthorized charges to your account.

Should you have any questions, please call PenFed at 1.800.247.5626 or click here to send a secure message.

Thank you for your continued trust and confidence in PenFed's service.

My AX and Visa cards have newly issued numbers.
bucketjon
12/23/10 11:15 AM
Just got the email today that we would be getting new cards. Called to ask more about it, but was told I would be receiving a letter explaining more about it. Only thing they did confirm is that it effecting multiple PenFed customers.
djmadfx
12/23/10 11:23 AM
I received an email too. It would be nice to receive a CLI for the "hassle".
ufguy2006
12/23/10 11:50 AM
Got the email too for my platinum rewards and promise card.
willieroe
12/23/10 1:26 PM
djmadfx said:   

I received an email too. It would be nice to receive a CLI for the "hassle".

As did I. I wonder if free credit monitoring will be offered?
First page
1 of 13
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.