• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have logged in to my online banking and noticed that PenFed had issued a new account number for my AMEX - but the old card is still valid for some time.
The same has happened to my wife.

They give no explanation - this is just a precautionary measure /etc/etc.
Not that I am worried to much - but am wondering what could have prompted them for such an action (was there any massive data breach? if yes - should it have been disclosed?)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This is a newbie question - is the credit score available from the Idintegrity website they are offering?

americano (Jan. 27, 2011 @ 10:40a) |

As previously mentioned, the credit scores are NOT provided. It just provides a merged three bureau credit report after ... (more)

johnf585 (Jan. 27, 2011 @ 11:36a) |

I was one of those who were issued a new card. I checked my transactions this morning and I've got a fraudulent charge ... (more)

Kidsmakeyoucrazy (Feb. 16, 2011 @ 8:58a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:

RussianInNYC said:   was there any massive data breach? if yes - should it have been disclosed?

Yes. But there are time limits on when it is required to be communicated. Fix-first-then-report is a common practice. Assuming there was any such breach, of course.

I got the same message. There is a telephone # listed if you want more info - 1(800)247-5626.

Just FYI, they reissued my visa that is only 2 months old as well.

There's now an explanation for the newly issued PF cards:

A new credit card is being provided to you as a precautionary measure against any potential fraud exposure. A separate letter with additional information will be mailed to you, which you will receive shortly.

Please activate your new card as soon as you receive it, but not later than January 31, 2011. After activation or January 31st, whichever occurs first, you will no longer be able to use your old credit card.

Charges that are made to the old card prior to activation of the new card will be transferred to the new card automatically. Remember, should you have any automatic payments charged to your old credit card you need to notify those companies of your new card number and expiration date.

As always, PenFed assumes all responsibility for all unauthorized charges to your account.

Should you have any questions, please call PenFed at 1.800.247.5626 or click here to send a secure message.

Thank you for your continued trust and confidence in PenFed's service.

My AX and Visa cards have newly issued numbers.

Just got the email today that we would be getting new cards. Called to ask more about it, but was told I would be receiving a letter explaining more about it. Only thing they did confirm is that it effecting multiple PenFed customers.

I received an email too. It would be nice to receive a CLI for the "hassle".

Got the email too for my platinum rewards and promise card.

djmadfx said:   I received an email too. It would be nice to receive a CLI for the "hassle".
As did I. I wonder if free credit monitoring will be offered?

willieroe said:   djmadfx said:   I received an email too. It would be nice to receive a CLI for the "hassle".
As did I. I wonder if free credit monitoring will be offered?
I was hoping that ONLY the numbers were compromised and NOT all of our information.

I got same message on 12/23 and saw the new card added in my account same day.

Same, but I was still able to use my old card without issue... It'd be more of a problem if they cut the old card off without telling me..

Got it also, must have been a fairly big breach.

I am geeting a new AMEX but not Visa. Old cards will be active until Jan 31 according to the email I received. My new account is already showing up online.

It IS kinda strange. I know someone with two cash rewards cards and they are both being changed (shows online he has 4 cards at the moment)
I, however, have not received the email or additional account online.

Got the notice for two of my penfed cards including one that's only a month old

There must gave been some massive data breach... Imagine the costs to send out Millons of new cards and letters

What a pain in the *ss! Just found out today online an hour before going out for New Year's eve.

A potential problem for me (it may also possibly impact others here) was that I need to have over $650 in charges on my new Penfed AMEX before mid-January to get my 20K miles. I was a little lower than I thought - I had around $1,000 in charges - but now thanks to this mess it is split between 2 AMEX card numbers, neither one of which ALONE has over $600! Called and am having them send a letter (not just the generic BS form letter), that confirms I charged over the limit and got the miles.

I had a lot of respect for PenFed previously - now they're in the "wait and see" category.

EDIT - OK, now I see the email from them from a couple days ago. Still a pain in the *ss - I'd vowed to NOT check most email during vacation!

Also, I noticed that someone above posted that his (fairly new) Penfed VISA was included in the reissue - FYI, my much older one was not. Wonder whether the breach only involves fairly recently-issued cards?

my Visa was issued in March-ish. It was not affected.

I had a bunch of fraudulent transactions post to my PF Visa about couple months ago; all relatively small amounts <$100 total. Indeed, I came to know about it when the fraud prevention dept. called me about a charge which I obviously did not authorize; that charge was blocked in time by PF. That is when I noticed that a few unauthorized transactions had already posted. Anyway, they were all taken care of by PF and a new card was issued some weeks ago. And now THAT is being replaced by another one; have not received the physical card though.

My Penfed Rewards Visa card was also re-issued. The original card was issued in July 2010.
Now I have to go through all my billing companies and update my info as I used this card for auto-paying all of my bills. Better safe than sorry I guess...

tjguitar85 said:   my Visa was issued in March-ish. It was not affected.

Spoke too soon. now it's showing a new Visa acct #. Annoying.

tjguitar85 said:   tjguitar85 said:   my Visa was issued in March-ish. It was not affected.

Showing where? Online at Penfed or as a new account on your reports?

clutchcargo777 said:   tjguitar85 said:   tjguitar85 said:   my Visa was issued in March-ish. It was not affected.

Showing where? Online at Penfed or as a new account on your reports?

Penfed online. they did a balance transfer from my original acct # to the new one on 12/31.

weird, I haven't received any replacements for my penfed cash rewards visa. I don't see a new account listed in my online profile either.

I haven't received any replacements yet, but the new accounts are listed.

Add me to the list. Getting a new AMEX and Visa. I run everything I can through those cards, so having different charges temporarily listed under two accounts for each card gets a little confusing. Still, I'm glad they are taking security seriously (assuming this is more of a preventive measure than a known loss of sensitive data, as a PenFed rep told me yesterday).

I saw this first on my Experian report. I worry about the autopay. It was not clear that the autopay was setup for the new card. I'll be watching for it.

Got my new cards today, they are pretty, Blue instead of gray

I got the email about the change to my Pen Fed CC account. I thought it was because I submitted an overseas purchase that was rejected (and then presumed to be fraudulent) a few weeks ago. But it appears that I was not the only one who got the change.

RS4Rings said:   Got my new cards today, they are pretty, Blue instead of grayHow nice. Hopefully they still have some kind of variation of a pentagonal icon on the front, so we can tell them from other cards. Still waiting on mine...

I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...

jeepzy3 said:   I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...

same, and credit karma says my average account age has dropped due to the new account showing...

kinda lame...

Crap. I use this card for some of my recurring subscriptions and now I have to change every one of them. Second time in 6 months.

got my new card in the mail today, when activating they not only asked me for SSN and DOB but also my penfed member #

jwk1000 said:   I saw this first on my Experian report. I worry about the autopay. It was not clear that the autopay was setup for the new card. I'll be watching for it.

About two years ago I had to get a new card number due to fraud on my old PenFed Visa. I neglected to change the online bill pay for it manually. Then 6 months later I checked the morning after my bank's bill pay push at the PenFed card for some reason. That's when I noticed that it and the last 6 months of payments had been noted "Payment from XXXX" with the last four of my old card listed. Thus, I doubt you have anything to worry about it. Just update it when it's convenient.

Based on a couple comments above, is Penfed reporting the new account # to the bureaus as a newly opened account (in terms of account age)?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   got my new card in the mail today, when activating they not only asked me for SSN and DOB but also my penfed member #

Dialed the activation line from my home phone, punched in the credit card number, and that was it.

I got this same message on both my new Penfed AMEX (opened in October) and my Platinum Cash Rewards (new in September because of a previous security issue). Now neither card works (had a transaction fail yesterday online) and new cards haven't arrived.

I'm on vacation this week, but I guess I won't be spending any money :/

c3 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   got my new card in the mail today, when activating they not only asked me for SSN and DOB but also my penfed member #

Dialed the activation line from my home phone, punched in the credit card number, and that was it.

Same here, guessing SiS did not call from his home phone thats in Penfed system?

Skipping 90 Messages...
I was one of those who were issued a new card. I checked my transactions this morning and I've got a fraudulent charge on the brand new card! It was coded as PAYPAL - KTN SYSTEM. Paypal has no idea what they do or a phone #...all they could say was they process payments for KTN. So now I have to get another new card. Any ideas who KTN SYSTEM is?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014