Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

PenFed new account number issued - no clear explanation why

4 of 13
fw9999
1/4/11 6:30 PM
RS4Rings said:   

Got my new cards today, they are pretty, Blue instead of gray

How nice. Hopefully they still have some kind of variation of a pentagonal icon on the front, so we can tell them from other cards. Still waiting on mine...
jeepzy3
1/4/11 7:55 PM
I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...
jmel
1/4/11 8:04 PM
jeepzy3 said:   

I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...

same, and credit karma says my average account age has dropped due to the new account showing...

kinda lame...
UtahDealSeeker
1/4/11 8:45 PM
Crap. I use this card for some of my recurring subscriptions and now I have to change every one of them. Second time in 6 months.
SUCKISSTAPLES
1/4/11 9:09 PM
got my new card in the mail today, when activating they not only asked me for SSN and DOB but also my penfed member #
CycloneFW
1/4/11 11:15 PM
jwk1000 said:   

I saw this first on my Experian report. I worry about the autopay. It was not clear that the autopay was setup for the new card. I'll be watching for it.

About two years ago I had to get a new card number due to fraud on my old PenFed Visa. I neglected to change the online bill pay for it manually. Then 6 months later I checked the morning after my bank's bill pay push at the PenFed card for some reason. That's when I noticed that it and the last 6 months of payments had been noted "Payment from XXXX" with the last four of my old card listed. Thus, I doubt you have anything to worry about it. Just update it when it's convenient.
dl73
1/4/11 11:37 PM
Based on a couple comments above, is Penfed reporting the new account # to the bureaus as a newly opened account (in terms of account age)?
c3
1/5/11 12:42 AM
SUCKISSTAPLES said:   

got my new card in the mail today, when activating they not only asked me for SSN and DOB but also my penfed member #

Dialed the activation line from my home phone, punched in the credit card number, and that was it.
erinm
1/5/11 5:38 AM
I got this same message on both my new Penfed AMEX (opened in October) and my Platinum Cash Rewards (new in September because of a previous security issue). Now neither card works (had a transaction fail yesterday online) and new cards haven't arrived.

I'm on vacation this week, but I guess I won't be spending any money :/
RS4Rings
1/5/11 6:23 AM
c3 said:   

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   

Dialed the activation line from my home phone, punched in the credit card number, and that was it.

Same here, guessing SiS did not call from his home phone thats in Penfed system?
4 of 13
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.
It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.