• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
yeah probably didnt. Cant remember if my cell is listed as my home phone with penfed.

jmel said:   jeepzy3 said:   I received my new cards, but no separate letter yet explaining why ...

same, and credit karma says my average account age has dropped due to the new account showing...

kinda lame...
Interesting, 'cause maybe this partly shoots down my theory that most or all of these "breach" cards were recently issued, therefore re-issues should not matter that much in terms of average account age...

dl73 said:   Based on a couple comments above, is Penfed reporting the new account # to the bureaus as a newly opened account (in terms of account age)?

That's my understanding, but I have not pulled a full report, only seen what popped up on credit karma. I have not opened any new accounts either.

Just got new card and account number for the never-used debit card they gave me with with the checking account I opened about 6 months ago. Good to hear it wasn't just me...

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/pdf/pentagon.pdf

Occasional said:   http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/pdf/pentagon.pdf

Thanks for the link. 2 years of protection according to the letter template.

As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...

jmel said:   As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...

Well, I'm NOT a New Hampshire resident and I have a credit card being assigned a new number.

texasnightowl said:   jmel said:   As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...

Well, I'm NOT a New Hampshire resident and I have a credit card being assigned a new number.

Sure, me too. But I am wondering if that was a safety precaution or if that letter simply addressed New Hampshire residents because it was addressed to a New Hampshire office.

Got my new card AND the separate letter today.

Letter references a "data security breach in mid December 2010 in which some of your personal information was improperly accessed." They have "no indication that your information has been misused." But, the information "may have included your name, address, SSN, CC# and/or debit card #." No PINs or passwords were accessed or obtained.

"...as a precautionary measure...we have engaged Kroll Inc. to provide you with its ID TheftSmart service at no cost to you." ... "We are offering you two years of FREE access to ID TheftSmart, which includes the following: Current Credit Report, Continuous Credit Monitoring, Enhanced Identity Theft Consultation and Restoration."

Letter includes an ID TheftSmart Membership number and instructs you to visit a website to complete the authorization and provides an alternative for offline credit services.

Received a letter today from PenFed... There was a security breach with their system. They are offering 2-years of ID TheftSmart to those affected. Unfortunatley, seems like the PCI compliance is more about checking boxes on an audit and less about actual security at PenFed. A computer program was in their system (sounds like Heartland Payment Solutions from a while back).

A snippit of the letter received.
---
Dear xxx

We are writing to inform you of our recent discovery of a data security breach in mid December 2010 in which some of your personal information was improperly accessed. This letter also describes the services we are offering you to help relieve any concerns you may have and restore your confidence following this incident.

We have no indication that your information has been misused.

As a result of our preventative monitoring of our computer systems, we learned that some of our values members' sensitive information was accessed and/or obtained from our computer system without authorization. This information may have included your name, address, Social Security number, credit card number and/or debit card number. No personal identification numbers (PIN) or passwords were accessed and/or obtained. We have reissued all credit and debit cards relating to those members whose account information may have been improperly obtained. You should have received a replacement card already or will receive one shortly. If you have not received your replacement card, you may call 1-800-247-5626.

We assure you that we are committed to safeguarding your personal information and have taken a number of immediate steps to fortify and enhance the protective security measures that were already in place.

Once we discovered the unauthorized code, we took immediate action to eliminate it. We have identified the means by which the information was accessed and have taken appropriate steps to prevent this from recurring.

Again, we have no indication that your information has actually been misused. Nevertheless, as a precautionary measure to help protect you against any possible misuse and because securing your personal information is important to us, we have engaged Kroll Inc. to provide you with its ID TheftSmart service at no cost to you. Kroll's Fraud Solutions team has more experience than any other organization in helping people who have experienced the unintentional exposure of their confidential data. We are offering you two years of FREE access to ID TheftSmart, which includes the following:
.... <continues> ...
---

I use penfed for most of my purchases and I now see charges on both (old and new) accounts. They tried to offset charges on old account (by adding negative entries) but I still see duplicates.
Any of you have same problem? It is getting too confusing for me

there's a note on the webpage to ignore your balance on the old card.

Does any one have issue pay your bill. I pay my bill on Dec 30 that was due the 3 and as of today it has not posted or transferred from my bank account, but the transfer has being processed I call them about it and told me that they would look in to it.

I'm in CA and I was affected. Still haven't received the new cards/letter.

i just got my replacedment card for my other penfed CC. this time when i called to activate it was all automated and they didnt need my Member #. Maybe they registered my cell phone # last time i called in

also if you pay your penfed AMEX through the penfed site, make sure you manually enter the amount due to send, because if you pick the "statement balance",and that shows as $0....I noticed my bill wasnt paid and I checked the "processed transfer" and saw my bank, which said statement balance...but no money was moved. how bizarre.

texasnightowl said:   Got my new card AND the separate letter today.

Letter references a "data security breach in mid December 2010 in which some of your personal information was improperly accessed." They have "no indication that your information has been misused." But, the information "may have included your name, address, SSN, CC# and/or debit card #." No PINs or passwords were accessed or obtained.

"...as a precautionary measure...we have engaged Kroll Inc. to provide you with its ID TheftSmart service at no cost to you." ... "We are offering you two years of FREE access to ID TheftSmart, which includes the following: Current Credit Report, Continuous Credit Monitoring, Enhanced Identity Theft Consultation and Restoration."

Letter includes an ID TheftSmart Membership number and instructs you to visit a website to complete the authorization and provides an alternative for offline credit services.

Got the same letter and 2 years of free IDTheft thingy. I already have credit monitoring, no use to me. Plus I noticed my credit score reduced by 12 points as the replacement card shows as "new card", not too happy with this whole thing.

I received two new account numbers/cards. Both my AMEX and Visa.

Got my new card and letter today

Ugh, it says my payment was processed 1/6 but its not showing, nor does my bank acct show. Payment is due 1/7. Better not show a late.... :-/

Just a note, I have two PenFed cards, both around 3 years old. One was in mid 2007 one late 2007. Only one got issued a new number. I've been on vacation for the past three weeks so not sure if I got the new card or not yet but I definitely see the new number online.

Still no new cards...

So far my Visa Cash Rewards doesn't seem to be affected. Has anyone called Penfed regarding the additional account and subsequent FICO hit?

So whats the catch for 2 years of protection? If we don't cancel they charge for the service??

What does the protection really offer?

I've received the letter about the security breach but no new card yet even though it is appearing online in my account.

It looks like they have transferred all the purchases to the new account number and new ones are also being transferred as they are charged, but there is a strange "balance transfer" of $299.99 appearing on the new card that is the same amount as my payment in early December on the current card. So basically I am being double charged for this amount. Does anyone else anything like this under the new account number?

I've received the letter about the security breach but no new card yet even though it is appearing online in my account.

It looks like they have transferred all the purchases to the new account number and new ones are also being transferred as they are charged, but there is a strange "balance transfer" of $299.99 appearing on the new card that is the same amount as my payment in early December on the current card. So basically I am being double charged for this amount. Does anyone else anything like this under the new account number?

mwerner1 said:   I've received the letter about the security breach but no new card yet even though it is appearing online in my account.

No double charge, they moved the $299.99 payment from old card to new card. Did same for my December payment

I received my letter today, but no new card yet like many others. I also have a change on my account, showing the 2 cards.

I received my new cards a week ago, but I didn't receive the security bleach letter.

Received my new card earlier in the week and activated it. Got the letter today. 2 years of credit monitoring is pretty generous isn't it?

Tried enrolling in the credit monitoring but could not, guessing it's because of freeze I have in place?

I also received the letter, duplicated accounts, but no replacement card. I'm interested in learning more about the credit monitoring offer if anyone knows the details.

Thread Title should probably be updated.

I enrolled in free credit score monitoring and reports. For some reason my first report included detailed report but did not show any scores. Anyone else see this?

nothingevertodo said:   Thread Title should probably be updated.

I enrolled in free credit score monitoring and reports. For some reason my first report included detailed report but did not show any scores. Anyone else see this?

I don't think scores were part of the deal. Full credit report and monitoring, but not scores.

I did just sign up and check out my reports. Nothing suspicious and no inquiries, so will just have to watch it and make sure it stays that way.

nothingevertodo said:   I also received the letter, duplicated accounts, but no replacement card. I'm interested in learning more about the credit monitoring offer if anyone knows the details.Ditto. We received the letter, replacement ATM cards, no replacement Visa card, and the credit monitoring membership offer. We also received new PIN numbers for the ATM (& phone access) cards.

We signed up for the credit monitoring service at idintegrity dot com. When we first tried to log in, the system did not recognize us. We experimented and learned that we had to put our zip and last name exactly as listed on the letter. For instance, if there is a 9-digit zip and/or a SR JR etal in the member address, you must enter this information exactly as listed on your letter in order to set up your log in.

The report is a merged 3 credit bureau report. It lists the usual personal information, credit account breakdowns (Real estate, revolving, installment, other), inquiries, closed accounts, and creditor addresses.

We now have 3 P&nfed Visa cards reporting as open: 1 card which was "closed" for possible fraud in 1/2010 showing the balance from 1/2010, 1 replacement card issued in 1/2010 showing the recent 1/2011 balance, and the not yet received new card showing the recent 1/2011 balance. Very odd.

jmel said:   texasnightowl said:   jmel said:   As a resident of a state NOT called New Hampshire, I'd love to know if New Hampshire residents were the only ones affected...

Sure, me too. But I am wondering if that was a safety precaution or if that letter simply addressed New Hampshire residents because it was addressed to a New Hampshire office.

The letter addressed New Hampshire residents (only) because it was written from Pen Fed to the New Hampshire Attorney General to notify him that New Hampshire residents were involved in a data breach. Pen Fed did not write the letter out of the goodness of their heart, they did so because New Hampshire requires such notification in these cases. Other states have similar notification requirements, e.g. California.

The two year credit monitoring is the standard set by the Veterans Administration after they lost a laptop containing social security numbers a few years back. Sounds "generous," but if somebody hangs onto the personal identification for over 2 years or the existing stolen information is later sold/stolen by someone else after 2 years, there isn't much recourse to the consumer.

Cards are still being sent out. Mine is "still in production"

More info regarding breach here

A bit off topic but does anybody know how to change the account number for MBNA Billpay? Want to switch the Penfed CC payment account number over to the new number at some point.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.