• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I understand that selling of miles violates the rules of just about every single airline's frequent flyer programs. Despite this, it is not illegal in any way, and the only thing being risked is the confiscation of miles. Has anyone sold their miles to a broker before? Used miles to buy tickets in someone else's name and had them pay you for the ticket? Information from google seems rather scarce.

How can someone get rid of say 200,000+ miles if they have absolutely no plans to travel in the next few years?

Thanks.

ZeeOhhSix

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
im looking for some 40,000 to 60,000 continental airline miles? do you have some?

vchand09 (Jan. 11, 2011 @ 11:14a) |

im looking for some 40,000 to 60,000 continental airline miles? do you have some?

vchand09 (Jan. 11, 2011 @ 11:14a) |

Sure, eBay would do that, and they can pull your auction. However bopc1996 would've prevented his Continental problems b... (more)

neophyte (Jan. 11, 2011 @ 1:15p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ask at flyertalk.com in your specific airline's forum (search first though).

let me know what you find, I have tons of miles that I would like to dump as well.

Sell them to a friend or family member who is going to fly. I've bought miles from a friend of mine a few times so far. Watch out for brokers though as I have seen people get burned. There are a number of reports where the broker used the miles and the seller never got paid. Sell them only to someone you know or trust.

If you buy or sell miles from another person, how do the miles get transfered? I know you can buy tickets w/ your miles in another person's name. Is that what you mean?

The Coupon Connection is tailor made for this on Flyertalk. It is for barter of other frequent flyer awards, not cash. It is fraught with peril because some of the people there are sleazy and are really brokering the stuff to innocent bystanders. You are risking forfeiture of you miles, and the recipient is risking getting stuck at their destination.

Best to give them to friends or family members.

There is usually no direct transfer of miles. You have an award issued in their name.

PM me with what you have.

Why not just spend them? You can use a portion of them for hotel, and the rest on first-class travel.

Some miles are more valuable than others. I tend to use miles wisely.

Definitely. I tend to do that too much. If you only spend them optimally, you end up not using them all very quickly. Then there's the elite status trap on domestic.

Just a note of thanks to all who have contributed to this thread today.

I know the rates are awful but some airlines do have stores and allow you to buy things with miles.

http://store.ualmileageplus.com/

At least it is not against the T&C of the airline program. I would only give miles to friends and family and even then train them how to answer questions how they got the ticket with your miles in case they do get asked.

GermanExpat,
Why would you have to train them? Is buying a ticket for friend/family frowned upon by airlines? I have purchased tickets for family. I thought it was perfectly ok. Guess, that may not be true.
How would you train them? What would be the typical question(s)?

gandhis said:   GermanExpat,
Why would you have to train them? Is buying a ticket for friend/family frowned upon by airlines? I have purchased tickets for family. I thought it was perfectly ok. Guess, that may not be true.
How would you train them? What would be the typical question(s)?

Bartering mileage tickets is not allowed. If they answer they gave you money for the ticket this can lead to them not travelling and / or you loosing all your miles. It is good for them to know that and answer that you gave them the ticket as a present.
Some answers here stated to sell them to friend or family and this is not allowed under the T&C's of the airlines programs.

I tried selling 50k Continental miles on eBay. About a day after I posted it for sale my auction was removed by eBay and a got an email from Continental Airlines that my 50k miles had been forfeited.

bopc1996 said:   I tried selling 50k Continental miles on eBay. About a day after I posted it for sale my auction was removed by eBay and a got an email from Continental Airlines that my 50k miles had been forfeited.
No kidding? I can understand fleabay removing the auction but how did Continental know it was you?

uutxs said:   bopc1996 said:   I tried selling 50k Continental miles on eBay. About a day after I posted it for sale my auction was removed by eBay and a got an email from Continental Airlines that my 50k miles had been forfeited.
No kidding? I can understand fleabay removing the auction but how did Continental know it was you?



That *IS* an interesting question... seems like it would be a major breach of security for eBay to give out your personal info to an airline without some sort of subpoena, no?

I once had a listing removed on eBay due to a VERO complaint. McAfee snapped their fingers and my auction was taken down because they felt I had obtained the software illegally (because I had sold multiple boxes within a few days time (crazy, no?). They gave me the contact info to fight them and I wound up contacting their legal counsel. I had to give them copies of my receipts showing the purchases, but they relented and my auctions were reinstated. Waste of time, but small victory for me. Back to the subject at hand. Sorry for the diatribe.

Why not find someone locally who is looking to fly, book them a ticket with your miles, and then collect payment from them? Cut them a deal over what they can get themselves online and you should still come out well.

Check this out too: http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

Convert to another program that lets you get gift cards or some deal, then sell those on eBay.

EDIT:
Didn't catch that you had mentioned it already. Sorry.

Anyone know a good way to convert BA miles into cash or gift cards? My mom is still sitting on 100k from the Chase deal with no plans for travel anytime soon.

Don't even think about trying this on Craigslist or eBay. They cooperate fully with the airlines internal fraud departments on this. You are just asking for trouble.

I've used points.com to convert miles to gift cards (Amazon for me). I've also "given" some to friends who are trying to make travel plans way too late to get a good deal. They pay me what would be a normal cost for the flight in exchange.

For me, the best use is buying business or first class tickets for international travel.

ZeeOhhSix said:   I understand that selling of miles violates the rules of just about every single airline's frequent flyer programs. Despite this, it is not illegal in any way, and the only thing being risked is the confiscation of miles. Has anyone sold their miles to a broker before? Used miles to buy tickets in someone else's name and had them pay you for the ticket? Information from google seems rather scarce.

How can someone get rid of say 200,000+ miles if they have absolutely no plans to travel in the next few years?

Thanks.

ZeeOhhSix


Most airlines welcome donations of miles. You can also contact Make-A-Wish.

You could also get a host of magazine subscriptions. Try The Economist; it's excellent!!!

Good Luck,

The way to do this is to post on Flyertalk's "Coupon Connection" that you have x number of miles on whatever carrier it is and that you're looking for "interesting trades."

PS. If you're a flyertalk noob, expect to catch some flak for doing that. But it may be effective.

There's points.com that allows you to transfer your miles into other programs (I think the Airlines are their partners and officially support this); but I think they have crappy conversion rates.

I converted some American miles into Hilton HHonors points (not through points.com; I think it was through American's website) at what I thought was a decent rate, which might be useful if you're not going to fly but might drive somewhere and stay in a hotel.

On Delta's website you can buy gift cards with miles (but it might only be available and/or you only get a good rate if you have a specific AMEX card); see this thread: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/974768/

govenar said:   There's points.com that allows you to transfer your miles into other programs (I think the Airlines are their partners and officially support this); but I think they have crappy conversion rates.

Yeah, at first glance, Points.com seems cool, until I tried to trade 6,000 soon-to-be-expiring points from Airline A, and it offered me 600 points on Airline B in return. Ugh.

Or, you could "trade" your 6,000 miles on Airline A for 6,000 miles on Airline B with another user, except Points.com charges some ridiculous brokerage fee roughly equivalent to the value of the miles, like $100 in that example. Double ugh.

If you have DL miles, convert to gift cards and sell on eBay is the easiest route to actual cash, though fees will take a big bite. Expect only ~$80 cash for 10,000 miles ($100 gift card), assuming you hold DL AMEX to get better rates on gift card redemptions.

BryansAccount said:   Anyone know a good way to convert BA miles into cash or gift cards? My mom is still sitting on 100k from the Chase deal with no plans for travel anytime soon.

BA miles are pretty much good only for flying. Maybe your mom should live it up and fly somewhere or buy you tickets.

BrlDsguise said:   BryansAccount said:   Anyone know a good way to convert BA miles into cash or gift cards? My mom is still sitting on 100k from the Chase deal with no plans for travel anytime soon.

BA miles are pretty much good only for flying. Maybe your mom should live it up and fly somewhere or buy you tickets.


That is what I thought based on a few minutes of searching. Unfortunately their blackout dates and other restrictions have made the points impossible to use for any tickets our family needed to buy in the past few months and she is too much of a workaholic to take a free trip somewhere to use them up. I have tried to convince her to ever since she got them, believe me.

ZeeOhhSix said:   uutxs said:   bopc1996 said:   I tried selling 50k Continental miles on eBay. About a day after I posted it for sale my auction was removed by eBay and a got an email from Continental Airlines that my 50k miles had been forfeited.
No kidding? I can understand fleabay removing the auction but how did Continental know it was you?



That *IS* an interesting question... seems like it would be a major breach of security for eBay to give out your personal info to an airline without some sort of subpoena, no?


eBay will give your information to just about anyone that asks, no court order or any other documents required.

What kind of miles do you have? Points.com can convert to gift card. it works

macdave said:   ZeeOhhSix said:   uutxs said:   bopc1996 said:   I tried selling 50k Continental miles on eBay. About a day after I posted it for sale my auction was removed by eBay and a got an email from Continental Airlines that my 50k miles had been forfeited.
No kidding? I can understand fleabay removing the auction but how did Continental know it was you?



That *IS* an interesting question... seems like it would be a major breach of security for eBay to give out your personal info to an airline without some sort of subpoena, no?


eBay will give your information to just about anyone that asks, no court order or any other documents required.


Yes eBay gave continental airline all the information it needed. But I was warned by a fellow ebayer who emailed me that his miles were removed after he tried to sell them on eBay. I thought the guy was just saying that to scare me.

Surely you have a friend or friend of a friend that wants to fly, and will let you buy them a ticket, for which they could give you a gift of some cash that is about 80% of the lowest price they could find ?

Otherwise, donate a measly 1,000 point, or buy a cheap magazine with points, and they will last another 18 months. Surely you will travel someday.

TravelerMSY said:   The Coupon Connection is tailor made for this on Flyertalk. It is for barter of other frequent flyer awards, not cash.

I have a lot of miles to dump too.
I tried Coupon Connection - it requires 90 days membership on FlyerTalk AND 90 posts.

BrlDsguise said:   BryansAccount said:   Anyone know a good way to convert BA miles into cash or gift cards? My mom is still sitting on 100k from the Chase deal with no plans for travel anytime soon.

BA miles are pretty much good only for flying. Maybe your mom should live it up and fly somewhere or buy you tickets.


You can use BA miles on American and possibly Alaska.

gandhis said:   TravelerMSY said:   The Coupon Connection is tailor made for this on Flyertalk. It is for barter of other frequent flyer awards, not cash.

I have a lot of miles to dump too.
I tried Coupon Connection - it requires 90 days membership on FlyerTalk AND 90 posts.


See my earlier posts about CC. You are taking a big risk there because of who you might be dealing with. Many of them are *very* active traders. Find a friend.

marketingmike said:   BrlDsguise said:   BryansAccount said:   Anyone know a good way to convert BA miles into cash or gift cards? My mom is still sitting on 100k from the Chase deal with no plans for travel anytime soon.

BA miles are pretty much good only for flying. Maybe your mom should live it up and fly somewhere or buy you tickets.


You can use BA miles on American and possibly Alaska.


BA is especially tough to use because the really good stuff (F and J) cabins have enormous fuel surcharges. A free ticket US-UK on BA could easily be $500.

im looking for some 40,000 to 60,000 continental airline miles? do you have some?

im looking for some 40,000 to 60,000 continental airline miles? do you have some?

Skipping 1 Messages...
macdave said:   ZeeOhhSix said:   uutxs said:   bopc1996 said:   I tried selling 50k Continental miles on eBay. About a day after I posted it for sale my auction was removed by eBay and a got an email from Continental Airlines that my 50k miles had been forfeited.
No kidding? I can understand fleabay removing the auction but how did Continental know it was you?



That *IS* an interesting question... seems like it would be a major breach of security for eBay to give out your personal info to an airline without some sort of subpoena, no?


eBay will give your information to just about anyone that asks, no court order or any other documents required.
Sure, eBay would do that, and they can pull your auction. However bopc1996 would've prevented his Continental problems by using different eBay account - either fictitious one or from someone who has no Continental membership. The same would apply to Paypal account if receiving money for miles - don't let them connect our name to your Continental #.

Remember, we're not talking crime here, we're talking internal airlines policies - so we're well within our legal rights concealing identities from the airline when trying to sell miles.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.