• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Before anyone asks, I usually do e-filing for both state and federal, but this question is pretty specific and the background is not really the point...

So, allow me to get to it:

If filing by mail-in and I am filing a State Tax Return, do I need to include a copy of the Federal 1040 form?

This is for the state of Missouri.

The 1040-State is obviously needed, along with other supporting forms, but do I need to include a copy of the Federal 1040?

In this case, the return is a very simple and straightforward one with nothing complicated, but I am having trouble finding any specific references online for some reason for this seemingly very simple question.

I am sure the wise crowd here at Finance forum would look at this and say, "duh!" but I really don't know the answer and need a definite answer and hopefully with references too.

Found the answer: If you itemize, then you do need to include page 1 and 2 of Federal form 1040, plus schedule A.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Depends on the state

Did you really just ask this question without telling us which state you are filing in?

RTF(state tax)M

Duh, all state taxes are the same, obviously!

Edited the original post to include more info. Sorry for the missing piece of info.

Thanks! I just moved to Missouri in April and I had the same question.

WhoIsThat said:   If filing by mail-in and I am filing a State Tax Return, do I need to include a copy of the Federal 1040 form?

HINT: Look at line 11 of your MO-1040.

I have one question though. How are you filling out the forms when the state of Missouri doesn't even have the 2010 forms available yet?

scotth501 said:   Thanks! I just moved to Missouri in April and I had the same question.

Moved TO missouri? I'm so sorry....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014