• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I only know of CitiGold and HSBC Premier, not sure if there are others out there.

One of the basic requirements is $100K+ deposits or else there is a rather large monthly fee for their accounts.
CitiGold periodically seems to offer some kind of deal with TYN for new accounts. HSBC Premier, seems to usually offer a free Kindle for a new accounts.

Other features seem to be more international support, like free forex type things. When I was in Sydney, the guy didn't even want to help me at the CitiGold branch, because I only had a regular account. Don't really understand the other stuff..

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
How about opening a RCA? Danversbank is paying 3.00% interest for deposits up to $25,000. If you don't mind the hassle, ... (more)

ironchef16 (Jan. 22, 2011 @ 3:32a) |

And $3000 can buy a lot "of perks"

ESP in third world countries

SUCKISSTAPLES (Jan. 22, 2011 @ 5:03a) |

Sounds interesting, does anyone have experience with this bank, reliable?

Free Rewards Checking
Bookmark and Share

Benefits... (more)

dp1 (Jan. 24, 2011 @ 7:24p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can you post info on the Kindle promotion?

OP are you planning to open one? Because I would chase higher APYs instead of a kindle...

HSBC Premier Kindle (Expired though)
GreyRabbit said:   Can you post info on the Kindle promotion?

SleekWallet said:   OP are you planning to open one? Because I would chase higher APYs instead of a kindle...

In today's low interest environment this may not be a bad idea. HSBC offers 1.1 % on their savings account which isn't too bad. If the perks and account opening bonus are worth a few hundred dollars you are probably doing as good as you could with any other account other than the reward checking accounts but even they are reducing interest rates and/or the maximum you can have in an account.

To me a better deal is something like Bankdirect that gives you tax free AA miles instead of interest.

SleekWallet said:   OP are you planning to open one? Because I would chase higher APYs instead of a kindle...

I already keep a bulk of my money there

skander said:   HSBC Premier Kindle (Expired though)
GreyRabbit said:   Can you post info on the Kindle promotion?

The promo seems to periodically spark up, use to be some kind of iPod, but lately it has been the kindle.

Edit: piyush123 brings up a good point, the CitiGold probably offers some kind of TYN monthly. Which to a degree are also tax free (just don't break $600 or they send you 1099, at least this was the case in the past).

I had a Citigold account recently. It was a big waste of my money, even after taking into account all the purported 'benefit."

The only thing that was at all beneficial was no forex charges at overseas ATMs. But, they got rid of that.

They also offered a big thank you points bonus for opening the account. But, it took months of struggle to get the bonus which they then tried to confiscate when I closed the accout--even though I still had several other Citi accounts. Finally more or less corrected after more months of struggle. But, not at all worth the trouble.

I also looked at HSBC a year or so ago and decided it too really offered nothing for tying up $100K of funds.

All in all, I am happy with a no forex fee card and ATM from Schwab and getting MUCH higher rates on savings.

It totally depends on what benefits you're looking for. Most banks have a "premier" level (Between regular relationship and high net worth). WF offers 100 free trades per year in investment accounts for people who keep at least $25,000 with them (including investments, checking, savings, etc...). They also give you free checking and a safety deposit box as well as some other free things-travelers checks, etc...

I don't really know the benefits that Citi offers.

Other than Citi, the only one I wouldn't recommend of the major banks is BofA (they trashed their premier benefits about a year and a half ago).

HSBC has better benefits, and better recognition world wide. One can keep that money in any HSBC in the world and they will qualify you anywhere else based on that. For example, one wanting to go long on AUD could open up a savings account at HSBC australia offering 5+% APY and zap the funds there instantly.

Note that HSBC Australia, like any other Australian bank, is rather meh in terms of cs, as compared to our standards.

jetsfan92588 said:    WF offers 100 free trades per year in investment accounts for people who keep at least $25,000 with them (including investments, checking, savings, etc...). They also give you free checking and a safety deposit box as well as some other free things-travelers checks, etc...Wells Fargo does offer 100 free annual trades per account, that means unlimited as you can open more accounts, but it is basic equity - no penny stocks, to options etc.
Now, are your sure they're offering free deposit box, I never got one.

BoA still offers 30 trades free per month, for keeping at least 25K in accounts (non investment)

Not Chase, they have the lowest APYs.

cows123 said:   SleekWallet said:   OP are you planning to open one? Because I would chase higher APYs instead of a kindle...

hahah yeah definitely not JP Morgan (Chase)

I've had Citigold for years, and I'm not aware of any real benefit. Citibank has just been convenient for me. I get 900 TY points monthly for having my accounts there and using on-line billpay, and my American Airlines MC annual fee is waived. There are fancy-looking Citigold sections in some branches, but I'm not sure what goes on there. It may just be for rip-off securities sales. At least one Manhattan branch has a Citigold express teller line, but it's set up in a way that makes it awkward to use (i.e., it looks to others that you're just cutting in line, even if you flash the gold-colored debit card). I noticed a Citigold lounge in Sheremetyevo Airport, but I'm not sure if all Citigold clients can use it. When I Googled, it looked like Citigold programs outside the US might involve more perks.

ChampagneDan said:   I've had Citigold for years, and I'm not aware of any real benefit. Citibank has just been convenient for me. I get 900 TY points monthly for having my accounts there and using on-line billpay, and my American Airlines MC annual fee is waived. There are fancy-looking Citigold sections in some branches, but I'm not sure what goes on there. It may just be for rip-off securities sales. At least one Manhattan branch has a Citigold express teller line, but it's set up in a way that makes it awkward to use (i.e., it looks to others that you're just cutting in line, even if you flash the gold-colored debit card). I noticed a Citigold lounge in Sheremetyevo Airport, but I'm not sure if all Citigold clients can use it. When I Googled, it looked like Citigold programs outside the US might involve more perks.

Quite likely you can without issue, though Citi Russia suggests phoning in advance to book your access.

http://www.citibank.ru/russia/citigold/eng/preferential_air.htm

finophyte said:   ChampagneDan said:   I've had Citigold for years, and I'm not aware of any real benefit. Citibank has just been convenient for me. I get 900 TY points monthly for having my accounts there and using on-line billpay, and my American Airlines MC annual fee is waived. There are fancy-looking Citigold sections in some branches, but I'm not sure what goes on there. It may just be for rip-off securities sales. At least one Manhattan branch has a Citigold express teller line, but it's set up in a way that makes it awkward to use (i.e., it looks to others that you're just cutting in line, even if you flash the gold-colored debit card). I noticed a Citigold lounge in Sheremetyevo Airport, but I'm not sure if all Citigold clients can use it. When I Googled, it looked like Citigold programs outside the US might involve more perks.

Quite likely you can without issue, though Citi Russia suggests phoning in advance to book your access.

http://www.citibank.ru/russia/citigold/eng/preferential_air.htm
Wow! Russian CitiGold have quite unique features: lounge access throughout Russia, 2 free taxi transfers (last time in Moscow it cost me about $80).

But, you must call ahead to Russian CitiGold, and it's not clear that they'd honor US version.

I wonder if all foreign international banks offer more benefits to other countries...

Note that most of the lounges mentioned by Citibank Russia, the Galaxy & Classic at Sheremetyevo and those in Saint Petersburg are accessible to those with a Priority Pass which is included with most "better" cards such as American Express . Offerings are often unique to the client country. Citi is in the midst of a Hong Kong expansion though is not advertising extensive perks for Citigold (atleast not on the HK English site). Neither is the case for Citi Japan, which at present is in retrenchment. HSBC Premier for Russia does not list as broad an offering though HSBC Premier internationally flouts it's privileges such as lounge access.

Few years ago a friend w US CitiGold opened acct at Citi HK. Royal treatment - shuffled in the back to manager, served tea, etc. Waived all the usual fees (CC, wires, etc.). Turns out gold status in HK means multi-million (US) $'s.

I noticed a few months ago in Singapore that there seemed to be HSBC Premier and Citigold promos all over, such as small restaurant discounts. They were obviously competing to sign up new customers. I'm not sure if I would've qualified for the deals as a US cardholder.

A buddy posted this on Facebook

Open a HSBC Premier Account and get $500 Amazon or Apple gift card for >$100k, or $200 for >$50k

jkimcpa said:   A buddy posted this on Facebook

Open a HSBC Premier Account and get $500 Amazon or Apple gift card for >$100k, or $200 for >$50k

Link would be appreciated. TIA. Also, is it new money or existing will do ?

wiredspider said:   http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/hsbcpremier/prom/jan-11?code=code=P...

Needs new money..

Thanks. Want to confirm; our $100,000 will earn only 0.01% ?

Still $500 for 3-4 months is great return.

"You have up to 90 days after account opening to meet the full $100,000 balance requirement. The Annual Percentage Yield (APY) and balance for a Premier Checking Account which is accurate as of January 10, 2011 is 0.01% APY on balances of $5.00 or more. APY is variable and subject to change after opening. Charges and fees may reduce earnings. Qualified Premier Clients will be notified via mail within 90 days of account opening; notification will include instructions for redeeming gift of choice. Eligibility requirements may apply for some gift choices. Limit one gift per eligible new Premier relationship. This offer cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions, is nontransferable, good while supplies last. Any gift not chosen by May 31, 2011 will be forfeited. The cost of the gift will be reported on IRS Form 1099.
"

No, it's $100k across all your deposits, the online savings account pays .9%.

wiredspider said:   http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/hsbcpremier/prom/jan-11?code=code=P...

Needs new money..

this is great, how about opening account and then moving all to CD at HSBC, is that possible?

dp1 said:   wiredspider said:   http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/hsbcpremier/prom/jan-11?code=code=P...

Needs new money..

this is great, how about opening account and then moving all to CD at HSBC, is that possible?

From looking quickly their best CD is 24 month at .35%, why bother. With HSBC rates the deal sucks. I could care less about any banks perks...it's all about the rates to me, well that and a local bank I keep quite a bit in lets me take as many lolly pops as I want

Terms & charges

I'm not so sure this is really worth it...

100-250K will earn .6% interest.
if closed in six months $25 fee

so 6 months at .06% will net $500 gift card(taxed)

The 100k now makes 1.3%+.1% quarterly interest at Costco Capital One Online Savings Account.

Needs to be at least $300 bonus for me to deal with all the hassle.

Any Fatwalleter's good in math to figure out what the gain will be?

CreveCoeur said:   

Any Fatwalleter's good in math to figure out what the gain will be?

Not enough?

Nope.

Think I would lose ~$400 in interest for the six months for $500 gift card. so less than $100 gain...?

The account you should get depends on your needs. Think about how you can use ATMs instead of tellers. Many community banks or credit unions offer great accounts that have a lot of perks that even go beyond what you get with Citigold and HSBC. I would definitely go for higher interest. I can't make one recommendation since the strategy depends on your area. If we know your general area, we can help you more. And I bank with community banks only and I think the perks of a rewards checking account are better than Citigold, etc with the 3% interest plus ATM rebates, even if you keep the excess amount above the cap in a savings account at that bank in most cases.

cows123 said:   SleekWallet said:   OP are you planning to open one? Because I would chase higher APYs instead of a kindle...

CHASE chases customers away with their low APY

[Q=neophyte;15607271Now, are your sure they're offeri]ng free deposit box, I never got one.

WF does offer free safe deposit boxes with a PMA account.

Zaos said:   HSBC has better benefits, and better recognition world wide. One can keep that money in any HSBC in the world and they will qualify you anywhere else based on that. For example, one wanting to go long on AUD could open up a savings account at HSBC australia offering 5+% APY and zap the funds there instantly.

Note that HSBC Australia, like any other Australian bank, is rather meh in terms of cs, as compared to our standards.

open up online using link above and move money into AUS$ account once you set up here in US$?

also does HSBC india offer any perks for premiers??

CreveCoeur said:   wiredspider said:   http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/hsbcpremier/prom/jan-11?code=code=P...

Needs new money..

Thanks. Want to confirm; our $100,000 will earn only 0.01% ?

Still $500 for 3-4 months is great return.

It's $500 for 6 months:
"Premier relationship in the U.S. must remain open; new money and Existing Balances must remain on deposit for a minimum of six months or the value of gift will be deducted from account proceeds if time requirement has not been met."

On the other hand, it looks like the funds can be left in the HSBC Advance Online savings acct (currently at 0.9% APY).

Of course you can only count on the $500 GC. Once they have lots of new captive money they could slash the savings account yield.

Needs new money..

does moving your brokerage account count as new money ?

manuvns said:   wiredspider said:   http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/hsbcpremier/prom/jan-11?code=code=P...

Needs new money..

does moving your brokerage account count as new money ?

Yes, if that brokerage a/c is now with another company. But keep in mind that HSBC's brokerage is FULL SERVICE brokerage a/c.

RS4Rings said:   dp1 said:   wiredspider said:   http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/hsbcpremier/prom/jan-11?code=code=P...

Needs new money..

From looking quickly their best CD is 24 month at .35%, why bother. With HSBC rates the deal sucks. I could care less about any banks perks...it's all about the rates to me, well that and a local bank I keep quite a bit in lets me take as many lolly pops as I want

The marketing of these "premier" accounts are focused on perks/benefits, status, etc. -- not rates. The "better" rates on these accounts is only a marginal increase from their REGULAR rates. So unless some of the perks/benefits is/are of value to you, people with fatwallet mindset generall would not sign up for these accounts.

Skipping 6 Messages...
ironchef16 said:   How about opening a RCA? Danversbank is paying 3.00% interest for deposits up to $25,000. If you don't mind the hassle, 4 RCAs at 3.00% = $3000/year

Sounds interesting, does anyone have experience with this bank, reliable?

Free Rewards Checking
Bookmark and Share

Benefits:

* Pays a rate like a CD (3.01%) APY without tying your funds up
* No daily minimum balance requirements to satisfy
* No monthly maintenance charges
* Enjoy refunded ATM fees nationwide
* Money is available 24/7 through a Danversbank Debit MasterCard*
* Points2U rewards

To take advantage of the benefits listed above, accountholders must satisfy the following requirements each monthly statement cycle:

12 debit card purchases must be posted to their account (excluding ATM transactions);
receive their monthly statement electronically;
access Online Banking, and
have your payroll or Social Security direct deposited or a recurring payment electronically taken out of the account through ACH.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014