• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
You can buy a Grocery store Visa/Mastercard/AMEX for up to $500 in some grocery stores using a credit card.
The fees range from a one time fee of $4 to $6 (and no monthly surcharge). I reckon you even out using a 1% Cash Back but the big benefit is that this can be used to fulfill credit card deals that require us to charge $x in y months to get your bonus.

Some grocery stores, you get 5% CashBack from your credit card, so you might come out way ahead.

This will help me get my 75K miles from my AA credit card quicker. (Spend $4K in 6 months).

I havent tried this yet, but does anyone have any input on this?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The easiest I've found are the grocery store chains where these can be purchased thru the self-checkout. I scan the visa... (more)

crhptic (Mar. 04, 2011 @ 3:24a) |

Pathmark and A&P (grocery) in North Jersey have both been ok with selling the VISA $20-500 gift cards ($5.95 fee) to me ... (more)

jameshasty (Mar. 04, 2011 @ 5:42a) |

Looking at discover.com, the 5% CB is only on up to $200 in purchases. Whether that's $200 in purchases per trip or per... (more)

chipmonger (Mar. 04, 2011 @ 9:17a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I tried to buy two $50 prepaid VISA debit cards last month as Christmas gifts, and could not use my credit card to pay for them. If this works anywhere, it's definitely a YMMV.

wx1trw said:   I tried to buy two $50 prepaid VISA debit cards last month as Christmas gifts, and could not use my credit card to pay for them. If this works anywhere, it's definitely a YMMV.+1 this happened to me as well over Xmas. They wouldn't even let me use a debit card, had to get Cash Back first then buy the card.

if they did let you do this it would be considered a cash advance. So unless you have a good deal on cash advance i wouldn't recommend it. i work at boa that's the policy here anyway,.

Been doing this for about a year with my CitiCard. I think it just depends on the cashier you check out at. Here in Chicago they just don't care. Tried it once in the burbs and got a hard time about it.

rckola911 said:   if they did let you do this it would be considered a cash advance. So unless you have a good deal on cash advance i wouldn't recommend it. i work at boa that's the policy here anyway,.A grocery store purchase is a grocery store purchase, it doesnt matter if you are buying stamps, nyquil, cat litter, gift cards, beer, kitchen utensils, or eggs.

I've been thinking about doing this with my AMEX blue cash to buy visa or AMEX gift cards at CVS. Anyone successful with that?

I think sometimes its easier when u buy something along with the gift card. For example, a $1 pack of gum + $500 gift card. This wont confuse the cashier. Many times stores are always confused when I say I want to buy a gift card with this gift card (I have a $1000 GAP gift card and want to break it down. Many stores simply refuse, but when I buy something and tell cashier i want a $100 gift card, suddenly their brains comprehend it as a regular purchase)

Just bought over $900 worth of Gift Cards for Fred Meyer at their store with my Fidelity AMEX. I always volunteer to buy the gift cards when it comes time at work

jigsaw1975 said:   I think sometimes its easier when u buy something along with the gift card. For example, a $1 pack of gum + $500 gift card. This wont confuse the cashier. Many times stores are always confused when I say I want to buy a gift card with this gift card (I have a $1000 GAP gift card and want to break it down. Many stores simply refuse, but when I buy something and tell cashier i want a $100 gift card, suddenly their brains comprehend it as a regular purchase)
OP is discussing purchase of gift cards with a credit card, not GC with GC.

Most stores won't let you swap around gift card amounts or break them out.

tennis8363 said:   jigsaw1975 said:   I think sometimes its easier when u buy something along with the gift card. For example, a $1 pack of gum + $500 gift card. This wont confuse the cashier. Many times stores are always confused when I say I want to buy a gift card with this gift card (I have a $1000 GAP gift card and want to break it down. Many stores simply refuse, but when I buy something and tell cashier i want a $100 gift card, suddenly their brains comprehend it as a regular purchase)
OP is discussing purchase of gift cards with a credit card, not GC with GC.

Most stores won't let you swap around gift card amounts or break them out.

I am the op
I think my message was not clear enough.

Sometimes, cashiers get confused when someone wants to buy a $500 VISA card with another credit card. To avoid this confusion, buy a pack of gum and then say you would like the $500 Visa gift card. Cashier will ring it up together and you just then swipe ur card.

jigsaw1975 said:   This will help me get my 75K miles from my AA credit card quicker. (Spend $4K in 6 months).I wish I had that problem.

jigsaw1975 said:   
Sometimes, cashiers get confused when someone wants to buy a $500 VISA card with another credit card. To avoid this confusion, buy a pack of gum and then say you would like the $500 Visa gift card. Cashier will ring it up together and you just then swipe ur card.

All the grocery chains here use a computerized POS system, and the computer simply won't let me buy prepaid VISAs with anything except cash or debit cards. There's no way for the cashier to override this.

I was wondering about using my BOA CC to purchase gift cards at the grocery store. I currently have a 2-3 month promotion where I get 5% Cash Back on grocery store/pharmacy/gas station purchases. Would it work or would it be a non-exempt item flagged on the list?

refidnasb said:   I was wondering about using my BOA CC to purchase gift cards at the grocery store. I currently have a 2-3 month promotion where I get 5% Cash Back on grocery store/pharmacy/gas station purchases. Would it work or would it be a non-exempt item flagged on the list?It depends if the specific grocery store allows you to pay for gift cards with a credit card. There are no "non-exempt items," nor a "list".

refidnasb said:   I was wondering about using my BOA CC to purchase gift cards at the grocery store. I currently have a 2-3 month promotion where I get 5% Cash Back on grocery store/pharmacy/gas station purchases. Would it work or would it be a non-exempt item flagged on the list?
Most of these category-type reward programs use the MCC (merchant category code) to see if the purchase qualifies for the rewards. Generally, a merchant at a given B&M (brick and mortar) location will only use one MCC. (There are cases where different types of WalMart stores use different MCCs.) Note that the MCCs might be different for gas station in-store purchases versus gas station at-the-pump purchases, and often only pay-at-the-pump purchases count towards a gas category of credit card rewards programs.

rckola911 said:   if they did let you do this it would be considered a cash advance. So unless you have a good deal on cash advance i wouldn't recommend it. i work at boa that's the policy here anyway,.

If I could, I almost felt compelled to give him red twice. The second red for working at BOA.

I used a major bank Visa credit card to purchase gift cards at Kroger. It was with a huge card load of groceries as well just a few days before Christmas. I was hoping to get the promo where with it would give an additional 40 cents off gas, but I don't know if that happened since several family members use the Kroger card when purchasing gas. I think the lines of people with card loads of groceries would help your situation

another concern about buying those prepaid debit cards is that you lose out on some of the consumer protections associated with credit cards.

lukasrhodes said:   rckola911 said:   if they did let you do this it would be considered a cash advance. So unless you have a good deal on cash advance i wouldn't recommend it. i work at boa that's the policy here anyway,.

If I could, I almost felt compelled to give him red twice. The second red for working at BOA.

Hilarious!!

wx1trw said:   jigsaw1975 said:   

All the grocery chains here use a computerized POS system, and the computer simply won't let me buy prepaid VISAs with anything except cash or debit cards. There's no way for the cashier to override this.

Anything is possible my dear Watson. I have seen cashiers do all sorts of stuff.

I'm not saying it didn't happen for you, just that it's very much a YMMV.

Here is Florida it does not seem to be a problem. Over the Xmas Holiday, I bought about 25 gift cards and used several different credit cards including my bank card to pay for them. It is just like buying a product. I know in the past, you could not buy lottery tickets with a credit card but that has stopped as well. I have not been denied anything using a credit card. The store should not care either. They are making a sale.

I have purchased AMEX gift cards before with my CC with no issues at grocery stores. The difficulty is what is the best way to dispose of a large amount of AMEX gc's into cash, and no the US mint option is not what I had in mind. If anyone has figured out a way to turn a lot of AMEX gc's back into cash with no fees, please message me that.

ok here is the scoop according to my grocery store. If the prepaid visa/mastercard/AMEX states $20-$500 on the card (and the cashier has to write the amount on the card after YOU decide what the amount should be), then you CANNOT use a credit card. But if it a prepaid visa/mc/AMEX that has a set number on it (usually, $25, $50, $100), then you can buy it using a CC.

jigsaw1975 said:   ok here is the scoop according to my grocery store. If the prepaid visa/mastercard/AMEX states $20-$500 on the card (and the cashier has to write the amount on the card after YOU decide what the amount should be), then you CANNOT use a credit card. But if it a prepaid visa/mc/AMEX that has a set number on it (usually, $25, $50, $100), then you can buy it using a CC.

Albertsons told me about this today. The largest value-set card was $100 and that had a $6 fee. I don't have a credit card that gives me 6% CashBack at the supermarket to offset it.

My citi mastercard will also charge this as a cash advance

randyfrasman said:   My citi mastercard will also charge this as a cash advanceand will put you in jail, right?
I have nine 11 different Citi CCs and neither one did nothing of the kind.

What is well known - Citi will charge as a cash advance any transaction coming from any financial institution.

neophyte said:   and will put you in jail, right?
So do you have nine or 11 different Citi Cards? Or are you giving a range of 9-11 because you've lost count? Or do you mean to say you have 911 cards?

A lot of companies have stopped allowing this do to fraud. People that steal credit cards usually try to liquidate it as fast as possible. A very common way is to purchase GCs and prepaid CC with the stolen credit cards. Since most cashiers are mindless drones and don't check signatures or IDs the crook gets away with $$$$ worth of GC and the store gets a chargeback.

Dkhanna said:   If anyone has figured out a way to turn a lot of AMEX gc's back into cash with no fees, please message me that.

You Better say....."Please post on FW and let's all benefit"...that's the FW way!

I frequently buy gift cards at drugstores to take advantage of the 5% Cash Back on Chase Rewards. The general policy at most stores I visit is that "cash equivalent" cards (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, etc.) must be paid with cash only. Other cards, such as restaurant, retail, etc., can be purchased with credit or debit cards. Since the cash cards generally have purchase fees, I would seldom buy one anyway.

You also have to be careful as a lot of the gift cards you can get at grocery stores have lots of fees including $4.95 monthly service charges. Technically, they are not "gift cards" but rather "pre-paid debit cards". The reason for this is because now they no longer have to follow the new "gift card" rules. Our local paper had a big article on it a few weeks ago.

Glitch99 said:   rckola911 said:   if they did let you do this it would be considered a cash advance. So unless you have a good deal on cash advance i wouldn't recommend it. i work at boa that's the policy here anyway,.A grocery store purchase is a grocery store purchase, it doesnt matter if you are buying stamps, nyquil, cat litter, gift cards, beer, kitchen utensils, or eggs. Well I know that cashovers no longer register as store purchases at safeway or WalMart... When they did a couple years ago.

how about purchasing gold and than sell it?

Your best bet is to "Buy BIG Ticket Item", return it after couple of days and ask for " Gift Card" but remember this will be limited that Franchise only. This way you will not have to pay any fee for buying or using these gift cards. Examples of the stores could be Costco, BJS, Sams Club, Walmat etc.

peas said:   neophyte said:   and will put you in jail, right?
So do you have nine or 11 different Citi Cards? Or are you giving a range of 9-11 because you've lost count? Or do you mean to say you have 911 cards?
Sorry, subliminal message. 9 personal cards, which I typed, then thought of my 2 business cards, so I typed that too

IMBRE said:   Your best bet is to "Buy BIG Ticket Item", return it after couple of days and ask for " Gift Card" but remember this will be limited that Franchise only. This way you will not have to pay any fee for buying or using these gift cards. Examples of the stores could be Costco, BJS, Sams Club, Walmat etc.

We dont want gift cards!! Gift cards can be bought with CC anytime. We want DEBIT/CASH cards that can be spent anywhere.

jigsaw1975 said: We dont want gift cards!! Gift cards can be bought with CC anytime. We want DEBIT/CASH cards that can be spent anywhere. Good luck with that...

Skipping 21 Messages...
fixfox69 said:   5% CB with Discover in March ..6% CB on $500? - I'm in!

Looking at discover.com, the 5% CB is only on up to $200 in purchases. Whether that's $200 in purchases per trip or per month (total), it's hard to say. An AARP card would be the way to go here.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014