• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
You can also call 1-888-806-2273 between 7am-8pm M-F and 9am-5pm Saturday.

Let ComEd recycle your old, working fridge in an environmentally responsible way. We will haul away that old energy hog for FREE and give you $35. We’ll take working freezer and room air conditioners too.
Details

* Offer is available to ComEd residential customers only.
* Refrigerator or freezer must be between 10 and 30 cubic feet in size, empty and working at the time of pick-up, and accessible with a clear and safe path for removal.
* The removal team will not risk injury, remove personal effects or modify your home (e.g. remove doors or railings) to remove the unit(s).

https://www.comed.com/sites/HomeSavings/Pages/appliancerecycling...

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

They arent paying you to let them do anything, they're merely buying old appliances for $35. Its called creative marketing, to imply they're doing you a favor when in fact they're getting a deal alot of the time.

Not this time, not my fridge, it runs but that's about it! On the other hand, if somebody would like to come to my house in the greater Chicago land area, I would be willing to part with the treasure for $40.00

Glitch99 said:    Its called creative marketing, to imply they're doing you a favor when in fact they're getting a deal a lot of the time.

They aren't doing it to get a "deal," they are recycling the old appliances and the utility is paying to do so, plus they're paying the customer too. They are doing this to save energy, to qualify for industrial energy agreements, and possibly reduce the need for expensive on peak power stations. The funding likely comes out of an energy surcharge on electric bills.

In addition to Com Ed, many utilities across the nation are doing this, usually with the same recycling vendor: JACO Environmental. (e.g. NSTAR ($50), PECo Energy [Com Ed sister company, also $35])

I bet they just ship them overseas and they wind up in homes all over Asia

The utility that we dealt with in Iowa did the same thing. People don't realize the energy that old refridgerators sucks down, and they do it during the high cost energy time. It can save them money long term to get rid of them

To see if your utility offers a similar deal, try here: https://www.jacoinc.net/weborder/progselzip.aspx

Jaco Environmental webpage, they serve a lot of utilities but not all of the utilities that offer this.

I have used this service before (when it was $25).

There was a limit of one (per year maybe???) so you can't just go on freecycle and pickup all the old fridges to make a killing.
The team (of 2) that picked up my fridge didn't care whether or not it worked. I plugged it in for nothing. (It could be that they didn't care because I had the fridge out in the driveway waiting for them). They were in and out in less than 10 minutes total.
I had to be home as I had to sign a form when they picked it up.
They mail you a check. There was not an option to just have it credited to the bill.

When I had called and was asking about it, it was funded by some program and was not being paid for by ComEd. ComEd may be picking up some admin costs associated for it, but the bulk of the funding is coming from somewhere else.

When all was said and done, it was a pretty quick and simple process. Definitely much easier than dealing with taking it to the scrap yard.

The fridge I gave them was an R12 fridge and had a full charge, so I'm sure whoever got it, made a profit on mine.

I saw on the website that the limit was 2. I don't know what the time frame for the limit.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014