• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I apologize if this is common knowledge and/or this topic has already been extensively discussed; I did a quick topic search for CLI and didn't see anything recent.

I remember the glory days when AMEX gave out CLIs online like candy. I had all my cards increased, and life was good. After the crash and crunch, AMEX rolled back my limits significantly. I remember frequently checking the account options online and the "Request CLI increase" button was not there (if I recall correctly).

Today, I logged back in to try to find the phone number to request a CLI manually. Lo and behold, harkening back to the glory days, the button was back. For fear of getting the "We'll mail you in 5 days with the results", I requested a modest increase (less than 2x my current limit). I was auto-approved. Is this new news or old news??

I hope this helps somebody..if not, mods feel free to delete.

Bump with an update:

The option to reallocate among 2 cards is now there too; it's just kind of buried. After logging in to your Summary of Accounts, click on "Recent Activity" for any card. At the bottom, there is an option for "Transfer Available Credit to Another Card".

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Used to have $2000 blue and $10k biz -- they cut it to $500 blue and $3200 biz during the credit crunch

Just requested a ... (more)

jatan1986 (Jun. 22, 2011 @ 1:06a) |

bummer, tried reallocating from my SPG AMEX to Delta AMEX, received the dreaded message "We will get back to you in 7-10... (more)

cyno (Jul. 12, 2011 @ 3:55p) |

Not seeing this at all

LukFilm (Aug. 05, 2011 @ 6:01p) |

Card: AMEX SPG
Old Limit: 4200
Requested: 8000
Auto-approved on 1/28

Card: Blue Cash
Old Limit: 1500
Requested: 5000
Auto-approved for 4500 on 1/29

Card: AMEX SPG
Old Limit: 2000
Requested: 4000
Auto-approved on 1/29

Card: Clear
Old Limit: 4200
Requested: 10000
Auto-approved on 2/15

Card: Blue Cash
Old limit: 10000
Requested: 15000
auto-approved on 3/25

Card: Costco
Old Limit: 11000
Requested: 19000
auto-approved 4/2

Card: Costco
Old Limit: 17700
Requested: 25000
auto-approved 7/12

Card: Blue
Old Limit: 5000
Requested: 15000
auto-approved 10/9
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

dp

stay under 25000 my friend and you should be okay.

Thanks for the heads up!

Doesn't appear to be back for me. Where are you looking?

Just got dreaded 7-10 day letter response requesting 4k more. Anyone want to clarify what likely outcome of something like this is?

Sorry to hear that - to answer your question, I've only had 2-3 times where I got the "7-10 days" letter, but those have always been rejected, for me.

HKnight said:   Doesn't appear to be back for me. Where are you looking?

I went to "Profile & Account Management" and "Account Management". Under Credit Management, one of the options is "Increase your Line of Credit."

Anybody else have any luck? I'm about to try with another one of my AMEX cards.

I had one success, haven't tried my 2nd. Let me know how it goes?

Just tried it and was approved for a 20% increase. Thanks for the heads up!

Now if only they would bring back the credit line reallocation/transfer feature.

MFFNike said:   
I went to "Profile & Account Management" and "Account Management". Under Credit Management, one of the options is "Increase your Line of Credit."

Hmm...for some reason it does not show me that option at all.

Are you guys inputting income info with the CLI amount or leaving it blank? I would like to minimize the possibility of a hard inquiry on my credit by leaving it blank if possible.

If you try it, can we post the limits as data points as well? It's just credit

Under recent activity, I had the link, I clicked it and it asked how much I wanted my new limit to be. I went from 18k to 20k and was approved instantly.

I still have my 24k limit from a few years back

Chiwawa626 said:   I still have my 24k limit from a few years back

Yeah, mine has been at 18k since opening the account in 2007. Before that, I had 12k on a joint account.

I already have ~$100K in available credit with AMEX so I think I'll refrain from poking the bear.

ICMATULKASPRMKY said:   Just got dreaded 7-10 day letter response requesting 4k more. Anyone want to clarify what likely outcome of something like this is?

The dreaded Financial Review

+2k

Thanks for the heads up.

On one card, raised it 7.5k instantly. On the other, tried to raise it 2.5k and got the dreaded 7-10 day.
My advice? Do it to only 1 for a while.

mindbowels said:   On one card, raised it 7.5k instantly. On the other, tried to raise it 2.5k and got the dreaded 7-10 day.
My advice? Do it to only 1 for a while.

Ah, looks like not a real review. Just got an email then had to click through a bazillion links and got
"We regret to inform you that your request has been declined for the following reason(s):
Our bank policy does not permit us to increase the line of credit on your account within sixty days since opening this account."

MFFNike said:   HKnight said:   Doesn't appear to be back for me. Where are you looking?

Nope, not there for me either. Only options I have are
  • Check the status of a Balance Transfer
  • Check Recent Declines

jmel said:   Under recent activity, I had the link, I clicked it and it asked how much I wanted my new limit to be. I went from 18k to 20k and was approved instantly.Not there either!

All this said, I probably put one transaction on this card every few months, and that is usually a redbox rental, so maybe I'm not in their target demographic.

Bobalude said:   Are you guys inputting income info with the CLI amount or leaving it blank? I would like to minimize the possibility of a hard inquiry on my credit by leaving it blank if possible.Why would you think entering your income woudl ahve any effect on if there's a hard inquiry?

Remember, it was abusing the CLI button that ultimately resulted in alot of grief via account reviews, extreme CLI chops, and closed accounts. So use it at your own risk - especially if you have one of the AMEX cash cards that only pay out rewards annually, with a large cache of CashBack pending.

Blue Cash 13K -> 15K approved

Should I try again?

I think the link's been available on the site since earlier this month. I requested a small CL increase from 2k to 3k last week and I was approved after a few minutes.

Asked for and got 50% bump

Glitch99 said:   Bobalude said:   Are you guys inputting income info with the CLI amount or leaving it blank? I would like to minimize the possibility of a hard inquiry on my credit by leaving it blank if possible.Why would you think entering your income woudl ahve any effect on if there's a hard inquiry?

Remember, it was abusing the CLI button that ultimately resulted in alot of grief via account reviews, extreme CLI chops, and closed accounts. So use it at your own risk - especially if you have one of the AMEX cash cards that only pay out rewards annually, with a large cache of CashBack pending.

During pre-financial crisis times, you only had to input the CLI amount requested and it would auto increase/not increase without any income info requested. This never resulted in a credit inquiry or financial review. My guess is that without income info, there's no point for AMEX to proceed that route. My concern now is that inputting income can result in a full financial review/credit inquiry.

Just wondering how others are proceeding now, inputting income info or not.

Bobalude said:   
During pre-financial crisis times, you only had to input the CLI amount requested and it would auto increase/not increase without any income info requested. This never resulted in a credit inquiry or financial review. My guess is that without income info, there's no point for AMEX to proceed that route. My concern now is that inputting income can result in a full financial review/credit inquiry.

Just wondering how others are proceeding now, inputting income info or not.
I tried not entering the income and it gives an error so its needed to proceed -- decided to back out since I dont want to risk getting a hard pull. Will wait for more people to respond to see if the auto approve hits them with a hard inq or not

Nope, not there for me either. Only options I have are
  • Check the status of a Balance Transfer
  • Check Recent Declines

Same here, only 2 options, no credit increase option for me.

Button is there. It is tempting. Hmmm.

Option was there for me. Attempted to raise my Blue Cash from 1500 to 5000, and got instantly approved for 4500.

I requested an increase to my Costco AMEX from 2000 to 5000 and got instantly approved. I had to put my income in.

they just did mine automatically WITHOUT a request from me a couple months ago...from 9K to 12K

Not there for me

theboogeyman said:   Blue Cash 13K -> 15K approved

Should I try again?

No, as mentioned earlier in the thread, they only approve one CLI every 60 days

Option was there for Wife's Blue Cash. 5K -> 8K approved instantly. Option also there for Wife's Hilton HHonors card but did not attempt. Link was not there for any of my cards.

Blue Cash
Congratulations!
Your request to increase your line of credit has been approved and will be available for use within 15 minutes.

thanks OP

$12.5 to $15K instantly on my Blue Cash--I imagine they'd approve quite a bit higher, but I'm not going to push it with AMEX.

Thanks! Blue Cash $10000 to $15000 instant, had to enter HHI. In the last year I've rarely used the card.

Skipping 69 Messages...
Not seeing this at all

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.