• 14 5 678104
  • Page
  • Text Only
Glitch99 said:   clearanceman said:   Call back and ask if you can change one of your existing cards to the Chase AARP card. But doing so wont get you the 5% promo.

Good point!

Very very tempting, but I may hold off as I am still under my BofA 5% + 25% Cash Back card until November and dont need to waste the inquiry. Already have a Chase card as a daily spender as well and do not want to lose part of my credit line on that. Hopefully it is still around come the end of the year though.

What is the 5% plus 25% Bofa card?

john66 said:   What is the 5% plus 25% Bofa card?It was invite only. 5% back on all purchases plus when redeeming it gives a 25% bonus at the end of the month. Good for 12 months. Needless to say I am loving it. Those that get this Chase card....use it like you stole it!

Instant approval. Have a Chase Freedom card collecting dust (for good reason), and the 5% was reason enough to sign up for this one. 0% for 12 months to boot, and not to mention it's an AARP card. Women will think I'm a young retiree and want to sleep with me for my money.

john66 said:   What is the 5% plus 25% Bofa card?And handful of people (well, one that we know of) somehow made their way onto a special mailing list, and received a special promo offer from BofA. Its the reason you shouldn't opt-out of junk mail, and never just toss it in the garbage unopened.

SegaRob said:   This is HUGE! Any confirmed reports that this earns 5% back at the the mint? I assume it will, but nice to hear confirmation.The offer is not even a week old yet (even the ad on the AARP site still references a $100 CashBack bonus, instead of the actual 5% promo it links to). No one has gotten the card, let alone used it at the Mint, let alone gotten a statement showing the CashBack earned.

edit

spangenberg said:   rismoney said:   centrifuge41 said:   With all the talk of Citi CashReturns in the heavy hitter thread, and the fact that this card offers the 5% promo for double the amount of time, the possibilities could be quite ridiculous...

180 days * ($1000 coins / 10 days) * 0.05 = $900
6 months * ($500 Amzn / month) * 0.05 = $150
Paypal and Google Checkout, 2.1% spread...
Pay income tax on credit card, 2.51% spread...

I'm looking for any ideas on how to maximize this into much more than this? If you buy 1000 coins on Feb 8, say spend $6999 for taxes on a $8000 CL, and make a payment same day, would you be above your credit limit at the end of the month, or as long as your balance doesn't exceed you won't be assessed an overlimit fee?
Could you theoretically prepay your taxes (aka loan the gov't money) using some obscene calculation, and just get that back in the form of a refund? Could that be rinsed and repeated, and if not, applied to State/Local levels? I mean refunds are after all a result of overpayments.
Not sure I understand hwo to profit from Paypal and Google Checkout without actually sending someone else money, suppose I have to search, but if someone could lay this out.
I know the gift card thing is also interesting, but I would maybe max out on grocery gift and gas gift cards to my local vendors

So we could maximize this with Coins, Paypal, Google Checkout, Amazon Payments. maybe even this?
http://payments.intuit.com/products/basic-payment-solutions/mobi...
free card reader, no monthly fees, and they only charge 2.7%

You guys realize that it was pretty evident by the time the Citi Cash Returns card died that Citi was monitoring the thread, don't you? I see no reason why Chase should not do the same.

peteypablo said:   
You guys realize that it was pretty evident by the time the Citi Cash Returns card died that Citi was monitoring the thread, don't you? I see no reason why Chase should not do the same.

The Heavy Hitters 4-step Eradication Program

1. The Bait - set up a deal so good that all the Heavy Hitters will go for it
2. Once they start earning 5%, watch for the top earners every month
3. If their purchases fit the profile according to [redacted], freeze their accounts & rewards, cancel all their other accounts, add to "Secret Blacklist"
4. ???
5. Profit!!!

Related question on mint purchase. Can anybody confirm that these purchases earn Cash Back on AMEX cards (Costco or SPG)?

TIA

DreamR2I said:   Related question on mint purchase. Can anybody confirm that these purchases earn Cash Back on AMEX cards (Costco or SPG)?

TIA
Seriously? "Related"? Really?

APPROVED!!!
The race is on.

Signed up for AARP - instant approval with membership number immediately after payment. For those under 50, there's no need to lie, as I'm 21 and put my real birthday. AARP doesn't seem to care how old you are.

Applied for the card with the membership number - instant approval. The wait begins...

clutchcargo777 said:   twofacelady said:   Clutchcargo: I called 800-592-6475 (the number on the AARP website for Chase). Went through the prompts until I had a choice to talk to a CSR. Explained I had not been approved yet and had made a mistake on my membership number...yada, yada, yada and she took it from there. I think her name was Tanesha. Hope this helps.

Thanks TFL... I'll give it a try.

Wish I had TFL's luck. I called that number, explained that I wanted to check on status (for which a credit pull had not been done since my app Monday) and was referred to another status number (800-283-1211). The CSR at this number would only state that the application was still "pending" and I would receive notice within 2 weeks. I pushed back a little, saying that if there were any impediment to consideration of the app I wanted a chance to resolve it, but he wouldn't shake loose from the "pending" info.

hdporter said:   clutchcargo777 said:   twofacelady said:   Clutchcargo: I called 800-592-6475 (the number on the AARP website for Chase). Went through the prompts until I had a choice to talk to a CSR. Explained I had not been approved yet and had made a mistake on my membership number...yada, yada, yada and she took it from there. I think her name was Tanesha. Hope this helps.

Thanks TFL... I'll give it a try.

Wish I had TFL's luck. I called that number, explained that I wanted to check on status (for which a credit pull had not been done since my app Monday) and was referred to another status number (800-283-1211). The CSR at this number would only state that the application was still "pending" and I would receive notice within 2 weeks. I pushed back a little, saying that if there were any impediment to consideration of the app I wanted a chance to resolve it, but he wouldn't shake loose from the "pending" info.

After reading the new "reason" people are getting turned down, I didn't even try. I probably should, just to add a data point.

To echo akysiev - applied for AARP membership - not quite 50, got a membership number, applied for this card and was approved immediately.

I signed up for AARP online, put in my real birth date (I'm under 50), paid the full $16, applied for the Chase card, and was instantly approved.

Today I received the following in the mail:

Dear Cashmonkey,

Thank you for joining AARP. We are delighted to welcome you and provide you with trustworthy information and resources that can help you make informed decisions about your life after 50.
As an associate member, you are entitled to receive AARP The Magazine, the AARP Bulletin, and free publications on health, housing, planning your finances, and more. Please visit www.aarp.org to learn everything AARP offers you today... and in the future.
We appreciate your continuing confidence in AARP and look forward to welcoming you to regular membership when you turn 50.

DW and I received our cards in today's mail (applied last Sunday). No mention of the 5%; just the standard inserts that come with all Chase cards. The 0% on purchases for 12 months is clearly stated, though.

Got the cad today. nowhere in there is it mentioned about receiving 5% back. it only lists 1% and 3% teavel rewards. called custermer service to check. they were unable to verify and the rep sent the request to their marketng department to confirm that i will be getting 5%, will take about 2 weeks to hear from them.

FYI, after calling Chase, they approved DW for her card even though she had just signed up for the CO card 2 weeks ago.

FWIW, here's their response to my question asking for confirmation of the 5% reward on all purchases:

Thank you for contacting Chase about the bonus offer on
your account ending in xxxx.
I am pleased to confirm that you will receive 5 points per
$1 spent on all purchases made for the first 6 months that
your account is open. Your rewards are calculated after
each statement closing date.

Denied CLI but when I asked, CSR stated I could prepay the card (have negative balance) and that would work as long as each charge was less than the original credit line. Does anyone have experience with Chase and a negative balance? I'm okay with prepaying the card because the $5,000 line will be nowhere near sufficient for me to accomplish what I would like to with this card.

Edit: BTW, called 800-283-1211 which is the number on the pamphlet that came with the card. I'm going to try the lending dept number too but I only have $2k to move from another card due to AA a couple of years ago (didn't bother me at the time because it was on a card I didn't use anyway, but now it would be nice to have the original $20k to move to the AARP card).

kjgco said:   FWIW, here's their response to my question asking for confirmation of the 5% reward on all purchases:

did you call and get a letter in the mail or did you email customer service?

Received our cards yesterday after applying last Sunday and calling to move CL from another Chase card to this one on Tuesday. Made first Mint purchase last night (but not as first transaction on card!). Smooth so far.

Has anyone who was told they were inelligible because of the mystery promotion they are already in had any luck?

I'm also interested in the "associate member" status of those of us under 50

Question about signing up the wife - can I just use my AARP number for my wife as well? Do I need to setup anything special through AARP to have my wife included in the membership?

ultraRiles said:   Question about signing up the wife - can I just use my AARP number for my wife as well? Do I need to setup anything special through AARP to have my wife included in the membership?

DW and I both signed up using the same AARP number. Her application was approved, mine was "recommended for approval" with final decision in 7 days.

Here's how I got my wife's member number after I purchased my AARP membership, without waiting for her card in the mail:

Go to their website
Hover over "My Account" and click "Register"
Fill in with her name/birth date, an email, and a password
Click on my account again -- then it's "my membership" or something like that

Her member number should be shown.

I then used her number to apply separately.

nymgiants said:   kjgco said:   FWIW, here's their response to my question asking for confirmation of the 5% reward on all purchases:

Got a response via email I am pleased to confirm that you will receive 5 points per

nymgiants said:   kjgco said:   FWIW, here's their response to my question asking for confirmation of the 5% reward on all purchases:

Yes, same experience as yours; I requested and they replied via secure email.

FYI, my wife and I have been members of AARP for several years, and our new AARP cards they mailed out a few months ago have the same member number on them.

I suppose you could buy separate memberships, and you would have different numbers.Normally a spouse is free with your account.

Has anyone been approved for separate accounts using the same number?

I have not applied, as just before this came out I applied for a Southwest Card and thought I should wait a while.

Hi! Here is my issue that I need help on.

As any good money saver, I applied for the wonderful 5% AARP Chase Card this past week and was informed that the decision was pending. That got me thinking as I know have a good credit score (about 750 ish) with not a lot of credit cards (no Chase either) & only debt is the mortage. I don't carry any balance and am not late in making payments. After some head scratching, I finally remembered that I had placed a fraud alert on my credit in early Jan as Citibank had informed me about potential fraudulent activity. To be on the safe side, I had changed my credit card # & placed a fraud alert. Also got the free annual credit report & there were no issues at that time.

Have not recd. anything in the mail from Chase, have called them multiple times as well for a decision - but no dice. They refuse to divulge why the decision is pending and ask me to wait. Once I have mentioned fraud alert, they said that I need to get that removed before I apply for a card. Of course, I cannot apply again for the same card as that will negate the first and potentially black list me.

So, what is the best course of action for me ? Can I remove a fraud alert, I couldn't find any info. on that. I know, I know - be patient, but I am late to the party already having missed out on the Citi CR Card & applied late for the Schwab 2% and yes, I am kicking myself for not applying earlier. I have not recd. any official notification from Chase in the mail or email so I guess I will have to wait.

Fraud alerts must be removed by requesting their removal in writing (i.e., not online); I beleive you must also send proof of your identity.

n/m - here's from experian (pretty sure it's going to be the same from the other 2):

Removing a fraud alert from your credit report
Dear Experian,
How do I get a fraud alert removed from my credit report?
- DIB
Dear DIB,
In order to remove a fraud alert you must submit your request in writing along with copies of documentation verifying your identity.
You can find a form that includes the information you need to submit and the address to which you should send it in the online fraud center. Simply click on the “Remove a fraud alert” link.
We require your request in writing for your protection. We document your identity to ensure an identity thief is not trying to remove the alert to so that they can fraudulently apply for new credit.
Thanks for asking.
- The "Ask Experian" team

3 transactions, 2 initial fraud holds/declines. Its expected as its a brand new account, but I hope Chase learns my purchasing habits quickly. Unlike other banks, its not a quick call to say the activity is authorized, they first put you through a full identity verification before releasing the account (the second time, it was a 20-minute phone call).

were these large transactions, or somewhat normal? Just curious so I know how to make my first couple.

DW and I have each put through 3 transactions of approx $1400 each since yesterday. So far no problems, although we probably won't make any more large ones for a few days. We both have a long history with Chase, FWIW.

First charge was 2641.49 on the account, then declined. Instead of me calling in all the time until they learn my spending patterns, I should just give them AMEXs number and tell them to look over my recent activity on my charge cards...

Chase loves to put fraud alert holds on accounts. Have a feeling the heavy hitters are going to be making a lot of calls...

lukasrhodes said:   First charge was 2641.49 on the account, then declined. Instead of me calling in all the time until they learn my spending patterns, I should just give them AMEXs number and tell them to look over my recent activity on my charge cards...

Chase has fraud notifications that they can send through text messaging if you use them. I got a text the other day about a charge and was simply told to send back "Y" if I made the charge, "N" if I didnt. Much better than calling in. You may want to login to the website and set it up for your account.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 14 5 678104
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014