• 1 2 345104
  • Page
  • Text Only
clearanceman said:   I tried to sign my mom up but it wouldn't take my CC and her address. So I put bill me later but then I'd have to wait. So I went around again and used my actual birthdate and it went right through. Signed up for the card and was approved. If this new card doesn't have a good credit limit, I'll transfer the CL from one of my other Chase cards. Thanks OP!

I left the birthdate blank, and the signup went through just fine.

No need to lie on the AARP application: Text

He's Jim Aley, he's 40, and, yes, he just joined AARP. Turns out that this organization of more than 36 million members is ready and willing to take in people who aren't "over 50," though that description still fills its literature and Web site. All you need to join is $12.50.

"You do not earn points on balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders..."

clearanceman said:   ScrawneyWallet said:   Paypal Sucks. I feel it's important to mention that fact every time the accursed word surfaces.

Well yes, because the idiots get paid their 3% in this plan. Fools. Why would Paypal even care?
Because facilitating quasi-cash advances will cause them to loose their ability to process credit card charges; paypal cares because Visa/Mastercard cares. Not to mention your ability to withdraw the money, then dispute the charges with your credit card and stick paypal with the bill.

clearanceman said:   I tried to sign my mom up but it wouldn't take my CC and her address. So I put bill me later but then I'd have to wait. So I went around again and used my actual birthdate and it went right through. Signed up for the card and was approved. If this new card doesn't have a good credit limit, I'll transfer the CL from one of my other Chase cards. Thanks OP!

Do any of your existing Chase cards have rewards associated with them? (ultimate rewards, freedom rewards, Cash Back)?

Approved, now the wait to receive the card.

Surprisingly approved instantly . Probably will be a low limit based on my other cards. hopefully they will let me move someof my credit line, tried to previously with from my continental to freedon, but rep said no.

under 50 aarp no problem except it would not accept exp date on credit card for 08(aug) worked fine when i simply typed an 8

Anyone been able to successfully join AARP online without selecting the send a bill option? I keep getting:

"We are currently experiencing system problems.
Please call an AARP Representative at 1-800-424-3410 (8:00 AM - 8:00 PM, (ET) Monday - Friday) to process your request, or try back later.

Thank you."

Edit: working today, applied and was deferred. Chase doesn't like me for some reason even though I only have 1 card with them these days, so I don't expect to get it. Possible return was too high not to apply though.

i used my visa card and was approved instantly for AARP.

Anyone have a link to the old citi CR thread? Couldnt find it in search.

Ilovesquash said:   In reading the pricing and terms for the offer, it looks as if you already have a Chase card associated with a Rewards program, you "may not be eligible". Despite this, I applied, and will report back if denied due to current Freedom card with Ultimate Rewards.

If applicable, Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing.
Interesting, because I have 3 Chase rewards cards and have never been confronted with this clause. However, they are all over 1 year old and 2 of them get very light usage, so maybe that's the key.

By the way - has anyone who was approved for this and has other Chase cards, tried to consolidate credit lines to the new card?

diljs said:   Anyone been able to successfully join AARP online without selecting the send a bill option? I keep getting:

Please call an AARP Representative at 1-800-424-3410 (8:00 AM - 8:00 PM, (ET) Monday - Friday) to process your request, or try back later.

Thank you."

No problems using my chase visa card.

rechtien said:   i used my visa card and was approved instantly for AARP.

I think this is it.

Applied and deferred

Ilovesquash said:   . Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing.

Anyone "guilty" of meeting the above clause get approved for the Chase AARP card?

I have 3 Chase card, I called Chase and they said there was no card limit but I have heard 3 is it.

Stabs said:   I have 3 Chase card, I called Chase and they said there was no card limit but I have heard 3 is it.I currently have 4, and have had more than that in the past. From a couple of conversations with CSRs, I believe they're more concerned with the total of credit lines that you have with them.

I have four too, and think at one point had five... that said, my total credit line hasn't increased much since I applied for the BA card, everything since then has come from other lines (which were already crap after getting slashed during my last AOR). Thinking of getting parents to sign up, though not sure how much credit line they could get approved for. I'd try it myself, but still working off the Sapphire and SWA promos

kjgco said:   rechtien said:   i used my visa card and was approved instantly for AARP.

I think this is it.

Don't forget this thread as well regarding the aftermath...

Aarp is a very liberal organization lobbying for their bottom line. Look at the health care bill which they pushed against their members interest since it would increase their insurance business.

5% Cash Back now is good, but it may come at a cost to society.

blargh, just got the CO card. Chase is every 60 days, right?

Thanks OP. Data point here: 31 years old. Signed up for AARP with correct info, got member # and applied. Received instant confirmation and my card will arrive in two weeks. I have one other Chase card, the United card which both my wife and I got the 50k mile bonus for last summer.

Dang chase! This is the 3rd card this month they have offered that I wanted! Seems they cut me off at three total cards!

Congratulations. Your application has been approved. You will receive your card and complete account information within 2 weeks by mail.

This is grand. Within the next 6 months, we have graduation expenses for our daughter, college tuition(she will start in the summer), we owe ~4K on our taxes and we are taking a family vacation. This will definitely help to reduce the bite. Great find, OP!

Instant Approval. No CL listed though. Thanks OP! Been getting AARP things in the mail for the last year or so. Im only 20!

welookgoodcom said: Aarp is a very liberal organization lobbying for their bottom line. Look at the health care bill which they pushed against their members interest since it would increase their insurance business.

5% Cash Back now is good, but it may come at a cost to society.

Do the math.

Any possible cost to society = zero.

Profit = five percent cash-back on charges.

Thanks OP. Already Chase, now another card that I'll use for six months.

Is there a balance transfer fee?

elitebox said:   Is there a balance transfer fee?From the Pricing & Terms page:
Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.

elitebox said:   Is there a balance transfer fee?

3%

https://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?card=DB3K&p...

Thanks for the links to the CR posts, needed to brush up as it had faded somewhat from memory.

Thanks OP! Applied and approved instantly. BTW, you can check your credit line by calling the application status number.

cashmonkey said:   Thanks OP! Applied and approved instantly. BTW, you can check your credit line by calling the application status number.Thanks, I'd forgotten about that thread. Some of the numbers listed for Chase no longer work; this one does:
1-800-432-3117

Thanks OP! Instantly approved for $7K.

johnf585 said:   ColbyS said:   If anyone that recently applied for the Continental 50k offer is also approved for this card please post!

If only I had waited one more week...

If you haven't received the card yet and activated it you may be able to get Chase to approve this app by canceling the CO card app. I know someone who did something similar with two other Chase card applications (2nd application was denied but then approved on a reconsideration call after withdrawing first app for different card)...

I just applied for this and was deferred. Last week (Jan 31st) I applied for the Chase CO card and was instantly approved. Is it worth trying to cancel the CO offer (have not received the card in the mail yet) to up my chances on this?

If "deferred" with Chase, is there a trend towards eventual approval, non-approval, or just - you never know?

Would hate to lose the CO offer for nothing!

Rokuk said:   johnf585 said:   ColbyS said:   If anyone that recently applied for the Continental 50k offer is also approved for this card please post!

If only I had waited one more week...

If you haven't received the card yet and activated it you may be able to get Chase to approve this app by canceling the CO card app. I know someone who did something similar with two other Chase card applications (2nd application was denied but then approved on a reconsideration call after withdrawing first app for different card)...

I just applied for this and was deferred. Last week (Jan 31st) I applied for the Chase CO card and was instantly approved. Is it worth trying to cancel the CO offer (have not received the card in the mail yet) to up my chances on this?

If "deferred" with Chase, is there a trend towards eventual approval, non-approval, or just - you never know?

Would hate to lose the CO offer for nothing!

When you get the Chase CO card in the mail I would NOT activate it or use it. I would wait until you get your denial (likely) letter for the AARP card (will likely list CO card app as the reason for denial) in the mail.

At that point I would call the reconsideration phone number for Chase (888-245-0625 IIRC) and offer to cancel the CO card app and card in order to have them approve the AARP card instead. If they say no, then you can just start using the CO card and still get that bonus (worst case scenario). You don't really have anything to lose by trying this since I doubt they will cancel the CO card without your explicit approval and I would say you have a good chance of success. As I previously mentioned, I know someone who recently was successful with this strategy with two other Chase apps...

Differences applying online or by phone?

The phone rep said doing it by phone is faster.

CO card application is still in the pending status. Now this fantastic offer... Ehhhhh

Has anyone tried asking Chase to simply replace one of the existing cards with this one if you already have enough Chase CC's?

Do you have an alternative -secure- way other than paypal ?

clearanceman said:   ScrawneyWallet said:   Paypal Sucks. I feel it's important to mention that fact every time the accursed word surfaces.

Well yes, because the idiots get paid their 3% in this plan. Fools. Why would Paypal even care? Between eBay and Paypal fees, it's so hard to make anything off an eBay sale anymore. You're over 12% on most items not even including any listing fees.

I am getting the same error, not selecting send me bill later option.

How did you get yours fixed?

TIA

diljs said:   Anyone been able to successfully join AARP online without selecting the send a bill option? I keep getting:

Thank you."

Edit: working today, applied and was deferred. Chase doesn't like me for some reason even though I only have 1 card with them these days, so I don't expect to get it. Possible return was too high not to apply though.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 1 2 345104
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014