• 1 234513
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
There's no thread on this yet. I thought I'd start one.

What financial institution blacklisted you? Why did they? How long is the blacklist good for? Were you able to resolve it?

Enjoy

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Well, I thought I was off the Chase blacklist (AARP days), but apparently I'm not. I was approved for the Chase Freedom ... (more)

bbr (Mar. 24, 2014 @ 11:53a) |

Blacklisted from massage parlor for taking too long to happily end.

laurg (Mar. 24, 2014 @ 5:27p) |

I got blacklisted from Staples too.

When I was 16 I challenged a friend to a desk chair race across the store. He picked... (more)

dougan778 (Mar. 24, 2014 @ 6:58p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'll start:

Chase credit card: closed all of my cards and DW's cards (10 personal, 1 business). Total CL about $200k.
Why? Bank funding and 0% float. Happened 2008. DW tried applying for an AMZN card (serviced by Chase) 2 years later and was denied. Reason for denial "Previous unsatisfactory relationship with us" or something to that effect. I'm not sure if I should apply for the AARP card. I think the blacklist is still active.

Discover: closed my card in 2007. Why? 0% float.

Citibank: closed my checking accounts as they didn't like me depositing churn cash then pulling from Ally within the next day or so. Typical balance on checking account <$100.

USBank: closed my checking account as they didn't like me depositing churn cash then pulling from Ally within the next day or so. Typical balance on checking account <$100. Bank manager phoned me and asked me where I was getting the money. I said that I sell stuff on eBay. He asked what it is I sell. I said "stuff". He closed my account a few days later.

Barclays: closed in 2007; $20K BT. Unsuccessful on 2 occasions since then.
BoA: DW and my accts both closed in 2009; $42K and $50K BTs. We've both gotten Fidelity cards subsequently, though.

alpinewhite said:   Why? Bank funding and 0% float.
I apologize for my ignorance, but what does that mean?

ThePessimist said:   alpinewhite said:   Why? Bank funding and 0% float.
I apologize for my ignorance, but what does that mean?

Probably opening deposit accounts and funding the initial deposit with a credit card (with some type of CC Cash Back or rewards points involved, a very rare opportunity these days) and doing balance transfers back when they were 0% for x months, with either no or capped BT fees. This was when AORs (application-o-ramas) were common, with people often taking advantage of multiple 0% offers with the same CC issuer.

AMEX: closed my all 4 account last year ($90K+ CL)
Reason: One of my online checking accounts had one $2 payment scheduled to one of the above AMEX cards. I closed that checking account (through bank's Customer service) couple of months earlier before the payment scheduled date. On scheduled date, bank still made $2 payment to card but after one week, it took back $2 since there was no balance.
AMEX closed all my accounts based on the returned check.

phxaz05 said:   AMEX: closed my all 4 account last year ($90K+ CL)
Reason: One of my online checking accounts had one $2 payment scheduled to one of the above AMEX cards. I closed that checking account (through bank's Customer service) couple of months earlier before the payment scheduled date. On scheduled date, bank still made $2 payment to card but after one week, it took back $2 since there was no balance.
AMEX closed all my accounts based on the returned check.

Wow, I can't believe that for only $2 bucks and for a bounced payment they would shut down your accounts. Quite harsh. Did you try to explain to them what happened? and have they given you back a credit card since?

Quetsol said:   
Wow, I can't believe that for only $2 bucks and for a bounced payment they would shut down your accounts. Quite harsh. Did you try to explain to them what happened? and have they given you back a credit card since?

Yup, I called them couple of times. All they said they will look into it but nothing happened. My 8+ years of perfect credit history with AMEX gone.
BTW, while closing the account with online bank, I asked specifically if there is any bill payment pending, he told me nothing is pending.

Not sure, but I think I'm blacklisted with AMEX. Maybe they want to punish me for all the freebies I got with their previous cards...

Blacklisted by AMEX a few years ago. Have not bothered to reapply with them since. They were giving 25k points (good for $250 gc at certain retailers) for opening a business gold card after first purchase. After all was said and done I applied for a few hundred cards and got approved and got the points for roughly half. All those inquiries dropped off Equifax about 18 months ago. Good times

asharerin said:   Blacklisted by AMEX a few years ago. Have not bothered to reapply with them since. They were giving 25k points (good for $250 gc at certain retailers) for opening a business gold card after first purchase. After all was said and done I applied for a few hundred cards and got approved and got the points for roughly half. All those inquiries dropped off Equifax about 18 months ago. Good times

Wow. I am reading things that I would only imagine possible in my dreams. Can't wait for more adventures of FWF guys.
Thanks for this thread.

alpinewhite said:   I'll start:

Chase credit card: closed all of my cards and DW's cards (10 personal, 1 business). Total CL about $200k.
Why? Bank funding and 0% float. Happened 2008. DW tried applying for an AMZN card (serviced by Chase) 2 years later and was denied. Reason for denial "Previous unsatisfactory relationship with us" or something to that effect. I'm not sure if I should apply for the AARP card. I think the blacklist is still active.

Same exact thing happened to me in 2009. Transferred money from my Discover card onto my Chase card and requested a check. They were really suspicious about it and wouldn't do it for about a month. They kept giving me the run around on the phone. Finally they did it and closed all my accounts.

Still can't apply for Chase cards. They just sent me an application in the mail for one of their biz cards--the first time I've ever seen it--so maybe they are wanting to mend the relationship.

Maybe I shouldn't read this thread, since I spend so much time reading the other threads and trying to think about all the neat things you guys do, but then hearing these kind of adverse action stories might scare me off.

corporateclaw said:   Maybe I shouldn't read this thread, since I spend so much time reading the other threads and trying to think about all the neat things you guys do, but then hearing these kind of adverse action stories might scare me off.

As Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote, 'tis better to have AOR'd and been blacklisted than never to have AOR'd at all.

I'm blacklisted from Chase.

I got a great 0% offer from Citi. I BTed 15k to my Chase British Airways card because I was going to spend 30k on it to get the 2 for 1 miles redemption voucher.

The BT left a credit balance of 7-8k on the card and Chase closed all my accounts and issued me a check for the credit balance. The people I spoke with considered me some kind of criminal and said there's no reason to do what I did. Oh wells.

A little bit off-topic but I am blacklisted from Crutchfield (mail order electronics store) for buying $10,000 worth of Bose equipment and reselling them. Found a niche market where I can resell. They suspected I was reselling them but had no prove. Bose forced them to blacklist me. Good old eBay days. I found it ludicrous though that a person cannot resell their property.

SS7Man said:   A little bit off-topic but I am blacklisted from Crutchfield (mail order electronics store) for buying $10,000 worth of Bose equipment and reselling them. Found a niche market where I can resell. They suspected I was reselling them but had no prove. Bose forced them to blacklist me. Good old eBay days. I found it ludicrous though that a person cannot resell their property.

Interesting, anything in the terms of purchase from Crutchfield about reselling?

I think I've only been blacklisted by Chase...

2 CC CO's and an auto loan I couldn't keep up with and had to return the car. Had checking account and CC with WaMu and the CC disappeared with the conversion. I'll wait till the COs fall off from my credit reports before I apply with Chase again...if I even want to.

asharerin said:   Blacklisted by AMEX a few years ago. Have not bothered to reapply with them since. They were giving 25k points (good for $250 gc at certain retailers) for opening a business gold card after first purchase. After all was said and done I applied for a few hundred cards and got approved and got the points for roughly half. All those inquiries dropped off Equifax about 18 months ago. Good times

Asharein,
Were you the one who converted all those signup bonuses to Home Depot gift cards and built some giant garage with the proceeds? I think I remember seeing pictures of that a couple of years ago - found it very impressive.

Cheap

SS7Man said:   A little bit off-topic but I am blacklisted from Crutchfield (mail order electronics store) for buying $10,000 worth of Bose equipment and reselling them. Found a niche market where I can resell. They suspected I was reselling them but had no prove. Bose forced them to blacklist me. Good old eBay days. I found it ludicrous though that a person cannot resell their property.

You mean you actually managed to profit by selling their overpriced electronics off eBay?

Crutchfield coupons and Bose headphones?

I've got blacklisted by AMEX giftcards - by address, everyone in my household.

In Nov-Dec of 2009 I run 25-30K of these, they suspended the tail end of these without releasing my credit line (even on AMEX cards). I made a fuss over at corporate in NYC, they released my funds but said the won't sell me any GCs.

That did not affect AMEX at large.

I'm probably blacklisted by CHASE.
Had a $45k card from them. IIRC, I requested $22k online. Was rejected after review - during the review they cut my line from $45k to $21,900 (to prevent the BT).

I waited, requested $21k, they cut it to $20,900.

I called, asked WTF???

The guy assured me that this time it 'would go through', as I was using a phone instead of the web this time.

Did not go through either, they had cut it to $500. I was so POd, I closed the account.

Applied for a new one later, got rejected for vague reasons.

Asian Pleasure Palace, Took out an eye.

Wow they don't require it to be covered? Or was it just bbhj instead of bbbj ?

note to self.. no BT to chase CC

Blacklisted by Dell. Was buying discounted GC from eBay in order to buy and resell Dell products. Apparently, one of those GC were purchased with a stolen CC, and Dell perma banned me. They cancelled all my orders, and I havent been able to buy anything since.

Chase and AMEX seem to dominate as the blacklisters. Chase coming in first. Is there any information regarding people's experiences about being unblacklisted? From what I've seen on the net, Chase seems to take about 3 years, but that is not really confirmed. I wonder if having large deposits in Chase bank can do something to smooth over the CC people?

Chase nailed me after I took them for about 2000 bucks of rewards in a month.
Airline tickets, gift cards, Amazon stuff..
"Previous unsatisfactory relationship..."

Got blacklisted from AMEX a few years ago after increasing each of my cards to 25K online. Took out a bunch of BT and they closed all of my accounts. I even submitted W2 to show income verfication. I guess they figured I was a bad customer. I still have very generous line at Chase,BofA, Citi,Discover.

My wife tried to get a Costo AMEX with my name attached to the account.. Denied! I guess I am still blacklist.

BL from Citi due to AOR in 09. they friggin hate me. i believe they realized it was an AOR.

i think i might be "brownlisted" at US bank too, not sure.

i can apparently do no wrong by Chase or AM3X....or BofA for that matter.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Crutchfield coupons and Bose headphones?

Using combinations of Crutchfield coupons, free shipping, and a Bose promo at that time to receive a free Bose CD player for every noise cancelling headphone (the expensive one for $299) purchase that was actually worth something. Yeah Bose sucks but their marketing is amazing and around that time, their reputation were very good and everyone wanted a Bose headphone and CD Player. I was told explicitly not to ever order from them again because I was blacklisted. Found out it was true too when I tried to place some small orders with the same address under different names. Not sure about Crutchfield, but Bose have VERY STRICT terms that Crutchfield must meet and that includes making sure their products are not being resold.

FarfyGuantanamo said:   Chase nailed me after I took them for about 2000 bucks of rewards in a month.

But you earned the rewards through legitimate charges, right? Why the heck would they care?

frys.com will no longer let me order from them after I filed a chargeback against them.

I ordered a flat-panel TV from them. FedEx destroyed it during shipping, and sent it back to them. It was received by their warehouse in Ohio (and I had tracking to confirm), but at the time they were moving to a warehouse in Tennessee and it got sent there and lost in the process. After arguing with them on the phone for weeks, I filed a chargeback on my AMEX and won.

Several months later on Black Friday I tried to order a bunch of FAR stuff from them. My order didn't ship, and after a few days I emailed them. They told me I had to call them, and when I did they told me that because I had filed a chargeback I couldn't order from them anymore.

I thankfully haven't be caught but have pulled significant amounts in signup and rewards from my buds at Chase and AMEX. I know the one time smash and grab event of a few thousand would be nice but the risk of permanently being a bad customer has me balancing and trying to stay just under the radar to maximize my rewards over my lifetime. Others here are a bull in a china shop when it comes to them, are ruthless and stick out like a soar thumb when they audit the promos. I like the stealth approach 1k here 1k there, close cards rinse and repeat.

FarfyGuantanamo said:   Chase nailed me after I took them for about 2000 bucks of rewards in a month.

My story is almost verbatim. I purchased 6 figures worth of stuff from Amazon and received 3% back in Amazon credit for all of it. Thankfully I was not blacklisted from Amazon as that would have been far worse. Chase, however, still won't let me have a card. I became blacklisted in February of 2008 and just recently applied for the AARP card and was denied. So the list lasts at least 3 years!

lilslyk said:   FarfyGuantanamo said:   Chase nailed me after I took them for about 2000 bucks of rewards in a month.

My story is almost verbatim. I purchased 6 figures worth of stuff from Amazon and received 3% back in Amazon credit for all of it. Thankfully I was not blacklisted from Amazon as that would have been far worse. Chase, however, still won't let me have a card. I became blacklisted in February of 2008 and just recently applied for the AARP card and was denied. So the list lasts at least 3 years!
These stories are helpful when determining how much is too much for the AARP card (we all know that "unlimited" CashBack isnt really unlimited).

Could you share the credit limits on the cards you were using at the time? I could see the volume relative to your limit (ie, charging 3x your limit during a single statement period) being as much a consideration as the volume itself. I cant see them taking issue with $50k in charges if you have a $80k limit, while $50k in charges with a $10k limit is a different story.

Chase Blacklisted me. 4 cards, ~40k in CL. Did an AOR 2 summers ago, transferred a good bit of student loans onto my 0% cards. NOTHING TO CHASE. They subsequently killed all 4. Can't even get in on any of those airlines cards, because they're all back by Chase.

AMEX killed me back in the college days for not having income verification. Im thinking of applying for the Costco AMEX.

This may be a stupid question, but I don't understand why balance transfers are getting people black listed?

Skipping 447 Messages...
I got blacklisted from Staples too.

When I was 16 I challenged a friend to a desk chair race across the store. He picked a heavy deluxe chair like an idiot, i picked a cheap, light, agile one and ultimately won the race. However, 5 laps around the store was enough to get me blacklisted. The manager told us to leave and to never come back again.

This was 12 years ago. I went there the other day and bought some tape. They didn't recognize me. I think I'll work slowly back up to 5 laps this time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.