• Text Only
Was blacklisted by T-Mobile for ordering "too many products". Took me freaking 8 hours in total over the phone with their genius CSRs to figure this out until I got escalated to the person they normally don't escalate calls to. He finally explained me their "no more than 3 products in 90 days" policy (before that all I heard was "for security reasons we can't explain you the reason", like that's a matter of national security or strictly confidential information). He also helped me to place one more order as an exception to this rule.
The stupid thing is that their website or 1st line CSRs will NEVER tell you that you were blacklisted. Website just says "There were problems processing your card, please try again", you'll hear something similar from CSRs.
I'd call it the worst experience dealing with TelCo company ever - at the end of 8 hours it has already been a matter of principle to get a proper answer from them, not some "for security reasons" BS.

Also blacklisted by Travelocity for God knows why. Tried to book an international flight less than 2 days before the date. Everything went fine, ticket got issued, I have even chosen seats on delta.com. Several hours later I get several emails almost one after another:
02:00am - We have a problems with your order. Please contact customer service immediately.
02:01am (yes, a minute later!) - As long as you have not contacted CS we had to cancel your order by the request of "Revenue protection department". CSR will not be able to reverse this action.
Tried to call, got an answer of some rude Indian guy who just read me the same message aloud and literally hung up.
Just to make it clear - the credit card was in MY name and it was the SAME name used to book the ticket.
After they cancelled the ticket just went to Kayak or Expedia (can't remember already) and booked the same flight with the same card from them. No issues.
Have absolutely no idea what triggered that.

rsshack said:   Blacklisted by Virgin Mobile USA for ordering about 40 phones in a two month period. They were unhappy that I ordered so many. Shame for them because another site like fatwallet still paid me out for the rebates even though the orders were cancelled!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/billsinger/2012/08/13/nordstrom-onli...

misterspaghetti said:   
http://www.forbes.com/sites/billsinger/2012/08/13/nordstrom-onli...


That article never stops making me laugh.

The programming quirk that the Chius exploited allowed them to intentionally place orders that Nordstrom.com blocked but, notwithstanding, the retailer compensated FatWallet for the order, and the brothers received credit from FatWallet — in a sense, both Nordstrom and FatWallet were victimized by the brothers’ scam. The Chius got Cash Back for orders that never went through and for which they were never billed.

Yes, FW was victimized by all that money flooding in from Nordstrom that FW never had to give back.
Tim was forced to sell FW to Ebates when he ran out of room to store the cash.

This is slightly OT, but Discover took away my Money Messenger-Send Money feature two months after I switched from a More to an IT card. I had been consistently sending my maximum of $500 a month for over a year and not using the Discover card for much else.

I called Customer Service, but nobody could provide an explanation about why it just suddenly disappeared. I'm guessing that they didn't want to pay the higher 1% Cash Back rate on the IT card.

Pylos said:   pwm112 said:   Was on Chase blacklist for about 2 years from AARP stuff. Yesterday, I got a Chase Ink Business card after multiple attempts to get business and personal cards from them since I was shutdown.

What was your situation? Did you change anything? Do you have a checking account with Chase? Did you deposit $10k? Or did you just apply over and over? If so how many times did you apply and how many rejections did you get before getting approved?


No change at all - not change in address, personal info etc. I probably appled 3x since blacklist - 2 personal and 1 business - all rejected for Previous Unsatisfactory Relationship - applied for the Ink - deferred - approved - $7500 CL

pwm112 said:   No change at all - not change in address, personal info etc. I probably appled 3x since blacklist - 2 personal and 1 business - all rejected for Previous Unsatisfactory Relationship - applied for the Ink - deferred - approved - $7500 CL Similar story here. After years of "Previous Unsatisfactory Relationship" was approved for Slate. "Time heals" the "relationships" I guess!

bluechalk said:   This is slightly OT, but Discover took away my Money Messenger-Send Money feature two months after I switched from a More to an IT card. I had been consistently sending my maximum of $500 a month for over a year and not using the Discover card for much else.

I called Customer Service, but nobody could provide an explanation about why it just suddenly disappeared. I'm guessing that they didn't want to pay the higher 1% Cash Back rate on the IT card.


Don't worry. You aren't alone. They stopped mine halfway through the 500 for 3k/6months spend. Like that'll stop me...

ShakuniMama said:   pwm112 said:   No change at all - not change in address, personal info etc. I probably appled 3x since blacklist - 2 personal and 1 business - all rejected for Previous Unsatisfactory Relationship - applied for the Ink - deferred - approved - $7500 CL Similar story here. After years of "Previous Unsatisfactory Relationship" was approved for Slate. "Time heals" the "relationships" I guess!

Was the Slate card a personal or business card?

pwm112 said:   Pylos said:   pwm112 said:   Was on Chase blacklist for about 2 years from AARP stuff. Yesterday, I got a Chase Ink Business card after multiple attempts to get business and personal cards from them since I was shutdown.

What was your situation? Did you change anything? Do you have a checking account with Chase? Did you deposit $10k? Or did you just apply over and over? If so how many times did you apply and how many rejections did you get before getting approved?


No change at all - not change in address, personal info etc. I probably appled 3x since blacklist - 2 personal and 1 business - all rejected for Previous Unsatisfactory Relationship - applied for the Ink - deferred - approved - $7500 CL


Thanks for the info!

Pylos said:   ShakuniMama said:   pwm112 said:   No change at all - not change in address, personal info etc. I probably appled 3x since blacklist - 2 personal and 1 business - all rejected for Previous Unsatisfactory Relationship - applied for the Ink - deferred - approved - $7500 CL Similar story here. After years of "Previous Unsatisfactory Relationship" was approved for Slate. "Time heals" the "relationships" I guess!

Was the Slate card a personal or business card?
personal

Ive been blacklisted by pscu. they are behind a lot of reloadable debit cards and some gift cards (such as chase's online visa gift card). I was averaging about 7k per month with about 2-6 cards for more than 2 years, then 1 day they shut all my cards off, the funny thing is i was down to 2 cards as the other changed their policy and only allowed to reload using their credit card only. I didnt close the cards so it must've showed with open numerous cards.
When i tried to order a new reloadable or visa card they are behind issuing I get an error. Tried to speak to a rep through one of their banks but they refused.

nymgiants said:   Ive been blacklisted by pscu. they are behind a lot of reloadable debit cards and some gift cards (such as chase's online visa gift card). I was averaging about 7k per month with about 2-6 cards for more than 2 years, then 1 day they shut all my cards off, the funny thing is i was down to 2 cards as the other changed their policy and only allowed to reload using their credit card only. I didnt close the cards so it must've showed with open numerous cards.
When i tried to order a new reloadable or visa card they are behind issuing I get an error. Tried to speak to a rep through one of their banks but they refused.


Maybe now they will name one of their future cards after you

I'm blacklisted from getting Wildcard prepaid cards. From 2004 until 2011, I had 36 prepaid cards and churned using various CashBack cards especially the CashReturns. I found a bug on their system that allowed me to load more than $2k/mo. I guess my >$2k balance caught their attention. I'm not sure if they've fixed the bug. I can't find out as they won't let me open cards anymore. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the bug is still there. I bet they still don't know how I did it. I was able to load $14k/mo instead of the $2k limit.

I bet their programmers were scratching their heads trying to figure out how I did it. Wildcard, hire me as a consultant and I'll show you your bug.

Oh, I forgot that I'm also blacklisted from buying Simon gift cards. I used to buy them in $10k chunks and would get Traveler's Checks with them. About 10 times after doing that, the TC place quit taking GCs. I was stuck with $10k worth of these to spend on EDP.

Even up until recently, when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system. The clerk would simply say "You're not allowed to buy these". If I wanted to, I would need to pay cash to retain my anonymity.

phxaz05 said:   AMEX: closed my all 4 account last year ($90K+ CL)
Reason: One of my online checking accounts had one $2 payment scheduled to one of the above AMEX cards. I closed that checking account (through bank's Customer service) couple of months earlier before the payment scheduled date. On scheduled date, bank still made $2 payment to card but after one week, it took back $2 since there was no balance.
AMEX closed all my accounts based on the returned check.


Wells Fargo closed all my accounts because I was depositing large volumes of MO in my checking account with them and doing ACH pulls to a RCA at a CU within a day of them clearing (well, they only told me they had made a business decision to end their deposit account relationship with me, but I'm sure that was why). But the worst part was instead of calling to let me know my accounts were frozen, they sent me a letter by snail mail (which I got a week later), so I only found out when I called to ask them why they had bounced my Amex payment (for ~$3.5k) and they told me my account was being closed and they would mail me a cashier's check for the balance in 10 business days. Luckily, I had better luck with Amex. I called them to explain what happened and they not only did not close my account, they reversed the $25 returned payment fee. They can see why the payment bounced, so that may have been the difference as it wasn't NSF but account frozen. It may have also helped that I was paying my Amex bill before the statement closed so it would show $0 balance on my credit report, so it wasn't even close to due. And a complaint to the CFPB convinced Wells Fargo to let me withdraw my balance in cash the next business day at a branch.

alpinewhite said:   when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system
what happens when you swipe a different CC ?

Lemmata said:   
phxaz05 said:   AMEX: closed my all 4 account last year ($90K+ CL)
Reason: One of my online checking accounts had one $2 payment scheduled to one of the above AMEX cards. I closed that checking account (through bank's Customer service) couple of months earlier before the payment scheduled date. On scheduled date, bank still made $2 payment to card but after one week, it took back $2 since there was no balance.
AMEX closed all my accounts based on the returned check.


Wells Fargo closed all my accounts because I was depositing large volumes of MO in my checking account with them and doing ACH pulls to a RCA at a CU within a day of them clearing (well, they only told me they had made a business decision to end their deposit account relationship with me, but I'm sure that was why). But the worst part was instead of calling to let me know my accounts were frozen, they sent me a letter by snail mail (which I got a week later), so I only found out when I called to ask them why they had bounced my Amex payment (for ~$3.5k) and they told me my account was being closed and they would mail me a cashier's check for the balance in 10 business days. Luckily, I had better luck with Amex. I called them to explain what happened and they not only did not close my account, they reversed the $25 returned payment fee. They can see why the payment bounced, so that may have been the difference as it wasn't NSF but account frozen. It may have also helped that I was paying my Amex bill before the statement closed so it would show $0 balance on my credit report, so it wasn't even close to due. And a complaint to the CFPB convinced Wells Fargo to let me withdraw my balance in cash the next business day at a branch.

  Banks don't like any type of deposit followed by immediate ACH-out, cash-equivalents or otherwise.

RedCobra said:   Lemmata said:   
phxaz05 said:   AMEX: closed my all 4 account last year ($90K+ CL)
Reason: One of my online checking accounts had one $2 payment scheduled to one of the above AMEX cards. I closed that checking account (through bank's Customer service) couple of months earlier before the payment scheduled date. On scheduled date, bank still made $2 payment to card but after one week, it took back $2 since there was no balance.
AMEX closed all my accounts based on the returned check.


Wells Fargo closed all my accounts because I was depositing large volumes of MO in my checking account with them and doing ACH pulls to a RCA at a CU within a day of them clearing (well, they only told me they had made a business decision to end their deposit account relationship with me, but I'm sure that was why). But the worst part was instead of calling to let me know my accounts were frozen, they sent me a letter by snail mail (which I got a week later), so I only found out when I called to ask them why they had bounced my Amex payment (for ~$3.5k) and they told me my account was being closed and they would mail me a cashier's check for the balance in 10 business days. Luckily, I had better luck with Amex. I called them to explain what happened and they not only did not close my account, they reversed the $25 returned payment fee. They can see why the payment bounced, so that may have been the difference as it wasn't NSF but account frozen. It may have also helped that I was paying my Amex bill before the statement closed so it would show $0 balance on my credit report, so it wasn't even close to due. And a complaint to the CFPB convinced Wells Fargo to let me withdraw my balance in cash the next business day at a branch.

  Banks don't like any type of deposit followed by immediate ACH-out, cash-equivalents or otherwise.


Yeah, well, I know that now and I still do large MO and cash deposits, but now directly into the account I am going to pay my CCs from, and pretty much only use ACH transfers to meet direct deposit requirements. I deposit at a different, local CU now where everyone knows me by name and I've explained my churning to them (which goes a lot further at a small CU than at a big bank where the account closure decisions are made by someone at corporate). It's been about 6 months since I was blacklisted by Wells Fargo and I haven't had any trouble with the new CU, though they did make a new rule limiting customers to 2 RCAs each after I opened my 15th account with them (they gave $8 in Amazon/iTunes rebates per month, so it wasn't for interest, though they have another type of RCA that pays 2.5% APY). I got a call from the manager of the branch I frequent explaining the new rule, that they had changed it because of me, and that it would take effect the following month and I couldn't open any new accounts in the meantime but could still earn rewards on all my accounts for the current month. I am still welcome to do business with them, and that was a very classy way for them to handle it. I was really surprised when they told me there was no limit, and I showed them why they needed one so they imposed one. (You know you're doing something right when they change the rules because of you, though I'm sure the only reason it hadn't happened already was that membership in this CU is limited to those who live in a small geographic area, or other FWers would have forced them to impose a limit long ago.)

What really irritated me about Wells Fargo was not that they closed my accounts, but the way they did it. Letting me find out when my Amex payment mysteriously bounced instead of calling to give me a heads up was a pretty dick move on their part. They could have easily ruined my relationship with Amex like what happened to the poster I quoted (although his experience shows why automatic payments are a terrible idea). I was using their account to deposit my churn funds because I didn't have a CC with them and they had a branch near my workplace, but their interest rates were terrible anyway (which is why I started doing the ACHs in the first place) so I wasn't very upset to lose the accounts except for the way they did it.

Alcibiades said:   
alpinewhite said:   when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system
what happens when you swipe a different CC ?

  It didn't matter what CC I used.  It matches my name against their blacklist.  Too bad my name is not a common one like "John Doe".

rigor said:   got blacklisted by equifax. my file was frozen 5 years ago after I kept disputing balances (they were off by at least 1 penny on the date of report). Also got blacklisted for doing trial/cancel creditwatch endlessly. Can't sign up for that any more

To this date my equifax credit report is frozen in time. Everyone who pulls it sees a TON of credit and $0 balances , so they won't give me any credit. lol.

Not a battle I feel like fighting..

  I really wonder if they can do this?  
What exactly are your due process rights in regards to your CR and credit score?  

alpinewhite said:   
Alcibiades said:   
alpinewhite said:   when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system
what happens when you swipe a different CC ?

  It didn't matter what CC I used.  It matches my name against their blacklist.  Too bad my name is not a common one like "John Doe".

  Add an AU onto one of your cards with a fake name. Try your pets name

alamo11 said:   alpinewhite said:   
Alcibiades said:   
alpinewhite said:   when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system
what happens when you swipe a different CC ?

  It didn't matter what CC I used.  It matches my name against their blacklist.  Too bad my name is not a common one like "John Doe".

  Add an AU onto one of your cards with a fake name. Try your pets name


They'll want a SSN for AU. At least Amex does.

alamo11 said:   
alpinewhite said:   
Alcibiades said:   
alpinewhite said:   when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system
what happens when you swipe a different CC ?

  It didn't matter what CC I used.  It matches my name against their blacklist.  Too bad my name is not a common one like "John Doe".

  Add an AU onto one of your cards with a fake name. Try your pets name

  The cashier would want to match the name on the credit card to your license. 

gruntwork said:   
alamo11 said:   
alpinewhite said:   
Alcibiades said:   
alpinewhite said:   when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system
what happens when you swipe a different CC ?

  It didn't matter what CC I used.  It matches my name against their blacklist.  Too bad my name is not a common one like "John Doe".

  Add an AU onto one of your cards with a fake name. Try your pets name

  The cashier would want to match the name on the credit card to your license. 

They are not allowed to demand ID under Visa/MC merchant agreements (unsure about Amex/Discover). They can ask, but they can't refuse a purchase if you don't have ID or refuse to show it. Your signature matching the card is your identification. If they break this rule, you can report them to Visa/MC. In practice for large GC transactions, I just show my ID because I'd rather not have the merchant decide not to sell GC with CC anymore or ban me from the store, but I'd report a merchant that demands ID for regular purchases. I've had it happen for $5-10 transactions.

Lemmata said:   
gruntwork said:   
alamo11 said:   
alpinewhite said:   
Alcibiades said:   
alpinewhite said:   when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system
what happens when you swipe a different CC ?

  It didn't matter what CC I used.  It matches my name against their blacklist.  Too bad my name is not a common one like "John Doe".

  Add an AU onto one of your cards with a fake name. Try your pets name

  The cashier would want to match the name on the credit card to your license. 

They are not allowed to demand ID under Visa/MC merchant agreements (unsure about Amex/Discover). They can ask, but they can't refuse a purchase if you don't have ID or refuse to show it. Your signature matching the card is your identification. If they break this rule, you can report them to Visa/MC. In practice for large GC transactions, I just show my ID because I'd rather not have the merchant decide not to sell GC with CC anymore or ban me from the store, but I'd report a merchant that demands ID for regular purchases. I've had it happen for $5-10 transactions.

  

The VISA/MC/Etc gives its merchants wide latitude with the ID check thing.
Yes its in their agreement.  
No you can't force them to enforce it.

You noticed your only recourse is to fillout an internet complaint from?
Not speak to a rep who can resolve the issue on the spot timely.
There's a reason for that...

KYBOSH said:   
Lemmata said:   
gruntwork said:   
alamo11 said:   
alpinewhite said:   
Alcibiades said:   
alpinewhite said:   when Simon would swipe my credit card as I try to buy one card, I would get kicked out of the system
what happens when you swipe a different CC ?

  It didn't matter what CC I used.  It matches my name against their blacklist.  Too bad my name is not a common one like "John Doe".

  Add an AU onto one of your cards with a fake name. Try your pets name

  The cashier would want to match the name on the credit card to your license. 

They are not allowed to demand ID under Visa/MC merchant agreements (unsure about Amex/Discover). They can ask, but they can't refuse a purchase if you don't have ID or refuse to show it. Your signature matching the card is your identification. If they break this rule, you can report them to Visa/MC. In practice for large GC transactions, I just show my ID because I'd rather not have the merchant decide not to sell GC with CC anymore or ban me from the store, but I'd report a merchant that demands ID for regular purchases. I've had it happen for $5-10 transactions.

  

The VISA/MC/Etc gives its merchants wide latitude with the ID check thing.
Yes its in their agreement.  
No you can't force them to enforce it.

You noticed your only recourse is to fillout an internet complaint from?
Not speak to a rep who can resolve the issue on the spot timely.
There's a reason for that...

  
You don't have to fill out an internet form, if you want to talk to a person you can call (800) VISA-911 for Visa and (800) MASTERCARD for MC to report it. I've only done this once, for a restaurant where you go up to the counter to pay, and they haven't asked me for ID since but I'm not sure whether that's because of my complaint or because they recognize me now.

Lemmata said:    I've only done this once, for a restaurant where you go up to the counter to pay, and they haven't asked me for ID since but I'm not sure whether that's because of my complaint or because they recognize me now.
  Have you checked for spit in the food you ordered.........

 Use just your first initial or a nickname that's very common for your real first name. Most card companies I've dwelt with don't care for a SSN for the AU, I even have added them to my Amex without a SSN. They ask, I say I don't know it.

"  The cashier would want to match the name on the credit card to your license. "

Were you able to get around any of these, especial said: Chase?]

Did I say I was blacklisted from WalMart.com? Don't know why. I was trying to buy two 6 months Straight Talk prepaid cards for me and wife. One got through and the other got canceled. Never been able to order anything since.

ShakuniMama said:   Lemmata said:    I've only done this once, for a restaurant where you go up to the counter to pay, and they haven't asked me for ID since but I'm not sure whether that's because of my complaint or because they recognize me now.
  Have you checked for spit in the food you ordered.........


My report was anonymous, they only need the first 6 digits of your card number and I didn't even use the one that I pay with. I always use my Marukai JCB card there for 3% CB, but I reported them to MasterCard using my Ally debit card's first 6 because I heard that MC was the best about enforcing the rules. No idea if that's true or not, but they would have required ID just the same if I'd paid with the MC.

I tried to open a Citi checking acct and was denied. This was 4 or 5 years after I had several accts with them after the bank-funding days.

cr3s said:   Did I say I was blacklisted from WalMart.com? Don't know why. I was trying to buy two 6 months Straight Talk prepaid cards for me and wife. One got through and the other got canceled. Never been able to order anything since.
  Not sure if still active, but also got banned from WalMart.com
Amex had the giftchain promo going where you had to make $25 purchases (up to 10) and I dumbly picked WalMart giftcards.  The annoying thing is they didn't cancel all the orders until the next day, so my "gifts" from Amex were used up and also invalid due to the reversed charges...

For two family members I used Toysrus.com and they got back ~$500 in amex giftcards for purchasing $500 in toysrus gift cards (which they exchanged some for other giftcards)

I finally did get whacked from Chase a few months ago, pretty sure it was from selling miles to China. Lost 6-8 cards and a checking account and @2000 miles.
Now using all the no payments for 12-18 months cards that charge 3% for BT, just using for the free play.
Opened new Cit cking for 20k thank you points and a USBank cking for $150, I guess I will be ok.

Has anyone gotten blacklisted from grocery stores for buying too many gift cards?

Saw posting that Chase forgets or forgives after about 3 years---does not appear to be true: have friend who had completed BK in the 1990s and perfect record since then. Chase even issued a new card about 2005 which was also paid perfect and used ver modestly. But in the 2009 financial crises Chase closed that new account and now denies every new request as previous unsatisfactory. So in this case Chase goes back almost 20 years. This does not appear to be legal since old 1990 card was handled through the federal bankruptcy court order.

how would Chase find out that you initiated the call to USPS?

chuckebrown said:   Chase closed all my accounts in 2008 - can’t remember how many accounts I had - I believe 6 or so between personal and business. Was only using 1 card and paying balance in full every month. I applied and received a Slate card in 2011 without issue.

Recently did a mini-AOR and applied for 1 personal and 2 business cards from Chase. All 3 required review - called recon - the personal (Sapphire Preferred) was approved, but the two business cards were rejected due to a “previous unsatisfactory relationship with Chase.”

  This would strongly suggest that Chase business department uses different approval criteria than for personal cards.

LtWaldo said:   Has anyone tried applying for a Business Credit Card after being blacklisted by Chase? I've been blacklisted for about 4 years now and every personal app has been declined due to "unsatisfactory prior relationship". I got an EIN number (Sole-Proprietorship), so I was thinking of maybe applying for business credit, although they require a personal guarantee with my SSN. Maybe it won't be flagged? Anyone tried this route? I'd rather not waste another inquiry...
  Did this work out for you?  Anyone else who denied on one kind, but then approved by different division of the same bank?
 

Wow, so many things to list. I've been banned from individual grocery stores for buying all of the specific gift cards each time a delivery is made. I've also been booted from several PoS systems as well as from buying or selling gift cards from several online resalers.

I've been able to skirt around the most profitable blacklists so far, so those are another story for another time.

Well, even if those highly lucrative ones end you know what they say:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'd rather be blacklisted
Than in jail like the Chu's



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.