Cash out American Express gift cards

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi .. I have redeemed American Express gift cards from my Delta Miles. What's the best way to cash these gift cards?

Googled and found these and wondering if there are more ways

1. Paypal, add to paypal account and transfer to bank account
2. Cash Back at Wally or other places when you shop
3. Craigslist
4. eBay

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I use cards like this to pay my phone bill or car insurance.

2tiger (Feb. 27, 2011 @ 6:25p) |

You can't use a gift card or credit card to fund your Paypal account. The best way to use these cards is to use them to ... (more)

markbyte (Feb. 27, 2011 @ 6:39p) |

I tried this for some rebate VISA cards - YMMV; Bought stuff at WM using those and didn't like the item - returned it at... (more)

garlicnun (Feb. 27, 2011 @ 7:20p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:

Amazon gift cards to yourself works great for those rebate cards. Should work for this.

Use the gift card to pay for a purchase.

Why wouldn't you just buy stuff? Yes, theoretically you'd lose 1-2% depending on what card you would use otherwise.

I had trouble using an AMEX gift card I got as a work bonus at Amazon. There was some explanation about a $1 pre-authorization.

ez said:   Amazon gift cards to yourself works great for those rebate cards. Should work for this.

Amazon says they exclude AMEX giftcards for purchase of their giftcards.

mint

EdMcK515 said:   ez said:   Amazon gift cards to yourself works great for those rebate cards. Should work for this.

Amazon says they exclude AMEX giftcards for purchase of their giftcards.


I've tried a few times and had no luck with Amazon gift cards paid with AMEX gift cards.

Floydian said:   EdMcK515 said:   ez said:   Amazon gift cards to yourself works great for those rebate cards. Should work for this.

Amazon says they exclude AMEX giftcards for purchase of their giftcards.


I've tried a few times and had no luck with Amazon gift cards paid with AMEX gift cards.
I'm not sure if I understand the point to this. Amazon gift cards can only be used to buy stuff on Amazon.com whereas AMEX gift cards can be used anywhere. Is it much easier to cash out Amazon gift cards?

Why would you convert to AMEX Gift Cards without a strategy to utilize them?

I was wondering this too (what is the point of Amazon gift cards). All I can think of is that with store-credit it's obvious you have to split up the purchase, or "use up" the gift card, while with AMX/VS/MC they think it's a credit card so it's up to you to manage the balance and convince the checkout person/computer to split the bill for you.

Or... is there a way to cash out Amazon gift cards?

Spac3d said:   Why would you convert to AMEX Gift Cards without a strategy to utilize them?

Initial strategy is to use these gift cards instead of credit cards ... now I am wondering if I should cash out these gift cards and payoff balance in credit cards, that's why I am looking at various cash out options

Easiest way I found is to use at non grocery\gas (i have 5% eds) and then when balance is small and hard to use for purchases just make partial payment to bill.

.

gizmoduck said:   Floydian said:   EdMcK515 said:   ez said:   Amazon gift cards to yourself works great for those rebate cards. Should work for this.

Amazon says they exclude AMEX giftcards for purchase of their giftcards.


I've tried a few times and had no luck with Amazon gift cards paid with AMEX gift cards.
I'm not sure if I understand the point to this. Amazon gift cards can only be used to buy stuff on Amazon.com whereas AMEX gift cards can be used anywhere. Is it much easier to cash out Amazon gift cards?


I can think of 2 reasons:

1. Some AMEX gift cards have expiration dates on them, and Amazon gift cards don't
2. This would be the only way that you could partially pay for a purchase with 2 cards (i.e. use gift card with low balance to buy AMZN credit, apply to account and then use other card to pay for the balance)

I've actually used the 2nd trick, and have used AMEX GCs a few times. I've noticed the trick is to keep the transactions under $100.

xad said:   1. Paypal, add to paypal account and transfer to bank account

Whoa! Won't Paypal treat it as a credit card? Are you saying you can fund your paypal account with a AMEX GC (which adds to your PP cash balance; and then transfer that cash balance to a bank account? You have links to people saying this works?

simsoft said:   Just call the number on the card. They will send you a check for the balance on the card, although there is a few week delay.
what what what? have you done this?

mojoshtudd said:   xad said:   1. Paypal, add to paypal account and transfer to bank account

Whoa! Won't Paypal treat it as a credit card? Are you saying you can fund your paypal account with a AMEX GC (which adds to your PP cash balance; and then transfer that cash balance to a bank account? You have links to people saying this works?


Here's the link
Link

xad said:   mojoshtudd said:   xad said:   1. Paypal, add to paypal account and transfer to bank account

Whoa! Won't Paypal treat it as a credit card? Are you saying you can fund your paypal account with a AMEX GC (which adds to your PP cash balance; and then transfer that cash balance to a bank account? You have links to people saying this works?


Here's the link
Link


link says add AMEX as CC and pay yourself from another PP account, then withdraw $ to the bank acct.
you will end up paying 3% transaction fee for paying with CC.

I'd say if you have $500 or less, just spend them for you daily purchases. If you got thouthands, then consider if you want to pay 3% to pp.
To simplify your life, you may buy a larger denomination GCs to stores where you shop alot (i.e. grocery/pharmacy).

What denomination are GCs? how many Delta miles did you end up paying per $1?

Yeah the best thing is to just use the AMEX gift card for purchases.
WalMart, grocery store, gas, just buy your normal stuff with it.

use them to buy one big wm gc, then go to sams club and pick up that nice 65" led panel they have now

WantTheBest said:   use them to buy one big wm gc, then go to sams club and pick up that nice 65" led panel they have now

This is a pointless thing to do. You can just as well go to WM and pay for the 65" with the AMEX GC directly.

I guess the summary is there's no real way to get 100% of the cash out of the AMEX GC. So, just spend it on everyday stuff.

The terms say that if a card's "valid thru" date has lapsed then you can request a check for the balance or a new card. Anyone know how far out a valid thru date is on a newly issued card?

ajohnamous said:   The terms say that if a card's "valid thru" date has lapsed then you can request a check for the balance or a new card. Anyone know how far out a valid thru date is on a newly issued card?My Delta Amexes have an "expiration date" in 2019! Yikes! Technically they never expire, as once you reach that point, you can call up to get another physical card with the same balance.

Paypal looking for the 4 digit code •Check your card statement for the unique code we sent with the charge.
when i go to American Express gift card to check the code, this is what is reads...

02/27/2011 PAYPAL INC MARK 342333000YYN ($1.95) how do i input the code??

which one is the code?? thank you

Check your card statement and look for a charge from "PayPal" with a 4-digit code next to it.
Log in to your PayPal account and click Confirm Credit Card.
Enter the 4-digit code to confirm your card.

moyip said:   Paypal looking for the 4 digit code •Check your card statement for the unique code we sent with the charge.
when i go to American Express gift card to check the code, this is what is reads...

02/27/2011 PAYPAL INC MARK 342333000YYN ($1.95) how do i input the code??

which one is the code?? thank you

Check your card statement and look for a charge from "PayPal" with a 4-digit code next to it.
Log in to your PayPal account and click Confirm Credit Card.
Enter the 4-digit code to confirm your card.


this is just a guess, but try "mark".

I use cards like this to pay my phone bill or car insurance.

You can't use a gift card or credit card to fund your Paypal account. The best way to use these cards is to use them to make purchases of things you already buy every month. So pay your cable bill with them, buy your groceries with them, pay your trash pick up fees with them, etc. Then take the money you would have spent on these things and pay down your debt.

I tried this for some rebate VISA cards - YMMV; Bought stuff at WM using those and didn't like the item - returned it at CS and informed them that it was bought with a gift card and cannot be returned to the same card since I trashed it. The CS lady just took whatever card I presented to her and returned the money on that. Similar experience at Staples.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014