Uhaul vehicle rental and insurance.

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Searched forum and no threads as far as I can tell...

Renting a 26 foot U-Haul for a move. The truck is cheap, and then Uhaul has the following insurance options:

Immediately reimburse U-Haul for damage. The rental truck you have selected has an approximate value of: $38,500 USD. Credit cards and most auto insurance policies do not cover damage to rental trucks. SafemoveŽ Covers damage and theft of U-Haul trucks, damage to your belongings and includes medical/life protection for you and your passenger. Up to $80,000 in potential benefits. $14.00 Super SafemoveŽ Covers everything Safemove does, plus you receive $1,000,000 in liability coverage for damage you cause to other vehicles or property if you are in an accident. Up to $1,000,000 in potential benefits. $29.00

I'm of the mindset that I always decline insurance, especially since the deductible is so high anyway. Seems odd that my credit card wouldn't cover it. Advice/experience?

Also: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/rental-car-insurance...

Seems most include trucks in their exclusions.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
They never contacted me again. Either that or I lost the mail piece and there is a warrant for my arrest.

Either way. *k... (more)

i3ighead (Mar. 01, 2011 @ 6:42p) |

What do you think LDW is, and why do you think it always comes with a prominent disclaimer that "THIS PRODUCT IS NOT INS... (more)

crhptic (Mar. 07, 2011 @ 3:48p) |

OK, thanks for the follow up. Good luck!

caramelito (Mar. 22, 2011 @ 9:05a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What is the deductible on the Safemove/Super Safemove policy? If those are too high, are there options with a lower deductible (and higher premium). Anyway, it would seem prudent to buy coverage since you don't have any otherwise.

Car rentals have coverage under their regular insurance, CC coverage and maybe from work (if this is for business). I dont believe people decline car rental coverage from the rental agency because of the high deductible. I dont know for a fact but believe the deductibles are low (maybe $0) on some of the policies the rental agency sells; of course they cost a fortune.

There's no mention of deductibles on the selection page. I'm sure I can add or remove it at the time of pickup. A lot of times Uhaul vehicles are so beat up anyway its kind of like what's there to hurt?

Point is mostly what you said, there's no other option for coverage and for $14 or $29 its not really worth the chance.

This is a toughie. I had a move that was only 150 miles and decided to pay for the coverage under the theory that insurance for be for those things that would cause a significant hardship if needed.

Within 15 minutes of leaving, I turned too sharply and ended completely wrecking the car carrier unit that goes behind the main U-Haul unit. The bill was $1,900 when it came in; my paying of the insurance meant that my liability was $0.

So while it's pricey, you need to ask yourself if you'd be OK if you make a mistake with a vehicle that most people do not have comfort driving on a day-to-day basis. I drive a sub-compact so it was especially difficult for me. YMMV.

Credit cards' coverages do notinclude cargo vans, pickup trucks, trucks, campers, exotic cars, and limosines. I thought as long as you get the SuperSafemove, you can be relieved of responsibility for damages that you or someone else causes because of damage waiver protection, cargo protection (of your possessions), medical and life protection for you and your passengers, and Super gives you the liability coverage for damage you caused to other vehicles or property if in an accident.

My local UHaul has a bunch of pictures of people that tried to go under a bridge that was too low or a fast food overhang that was too low (in the local area) with their truck with a printout of the final bill.

Truck into bridge? ~$30,000 of damage to truck and $25,000 to bridge.

$30... go for the insurance

$29 will give you a peace of mind and save you the hassle if something happens. I damaged the side mirror of the Uhaul truck I rented, glad that I got the insurance. Returned the truck to the lot and drop off the key into afterhours dropoff box and that was that, no forms to fill.

DONT use uhaul

Use any other company. Ryder, penske etc. Just google to understand why

Problem with some Ryder, Penske, Budget trucks is availability, limited hours and locations, and not open on Sundays *not all.

juliox said:   My local UHaul has a bunch of pictures of people that tried to go under a bridge that was too low or a fast food overhang that was too low (in the local area) with their truck with a printout of the final bill.

Hmm, technically, the SafeMove rental agreement says "SafeMove does not cover: Collision with an overhead object (including, but not limited to, overhangs, trees, overpasses, garages, and parking structures); Collision with a bridge; Cut, blown or damaged tires; Damage caused from low oil level; Incorrect fuel; Damage to the truck bed box, rear doors or cab that resulted from overloading, improper loading or failure to secure the load; Damage that results from the failure to comply with the terms of the rental contract; Damage that results from the vehicle being used in the commission of a crime; Other damage resulting from willful abuse and serious negligence."

juliox said:   My local UHaul has a bunch of pictures of people that tried to go under a bridge that was too low or a fast food overhang that was too low (in the local area) with their truck with a printout of the final bill.

If you only knew how correct you are (although the damage to the UHaul I was driving was only about $4,000) ...
Most insurances I say no, but I always say get the UHaul insurance. I had no clue that a 11' truck wouldn't fit under a 10'4" bridge (actually it was the thing in front of a hotel that you drive under to park when you walk inside to rent the room, but still, same thing.)

Is this coverage available through a personal auto policy?

just do it. if you get into an accident with insurance they will usually bring you another unit. without it; you probably are going to pay for renting another unit. if they even want to do business with you until you pay for the damaged gear (months).

this could rain on your moving day. Also if you file against your insurance policy you will feel the pain for 36 months (progressive.com) - the cost of 1 accident of not much can really jack you. Americans love to sue.

fact: get hit, break a leg, sue in Holland you might net $4000 for time off and pain and suffering. the same in the usa probably net you 10x or more easily. Suing is a very American "thing".

Agree with SIS, don't use Uhaul, their trucks are junk and their idea of customer service is deplorable. Good luck getting the truck you think you reserved on the day of the move.

In any case buy the insurance....its cheap vs the alternative.

I rented a 26-foot truck from Penske and the agent basically told me that all of the insurance would be duplicative of my auto insurance (just depends on if I want to make a claim), but that the one piece I should buy covers damage to the truck. She inferred to me that the windshields get cracked often on cross-country trips and that they're $600 to replace. The windshield is so large so I might have missed existing damage before I left and ended up with the bill if I hadn't purchased the insurance. It was $89 for my cross-country trip and it was nice knowing that any damage to the truck itself was covered. Oddly enough, when I turned the truck in, the agent checked my contract, saw that I had the insurance and then didn't check the truck. I wouldn't want to be the poor schmuck (every third guy or so) who gets stuck with the truck repair bill. YMMV, but it was a good piece of mind to me.

And, please don't use U-haul.

RedCelicaGT said:   Is this coverage available through a personal auto policy?

I'm sure it varies by policy and insurance company but I know that USAA specifically excludes trucks larger than 10,000 pounds on their auto policies.

why is everyone so against uhaul on here? i've only ever had good experiences with them!

I've done 3 long distance moves with Uhaul - like you I always decline the car rental insurance coverage - but with a truck you need it! I went with the basic Safemove coverage - it's worth it - I don't know how much experience you have driving a 26 foot truck but it can be tricky.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   DONT use uhaul

Can you give a bit more specific information than that?

Any large company has examples of people complaining about every little thing.

What is the actual problem with Uhaul which we should be looking for, instead of the statistically insignificant one-off rants which pollute the results?

As for insurance, that is largely a question of the OP's assets and what he might need to protect.

I've had Uhaul suck before but I've had Budget suck worse on 2 different occasions.

#1 - go to store, truck I reserved isn't there...
"sorry, the guy who has it is late bringing it back, he promised he would be here 3 hours ago"
I told them they needed to give me the larger truck sitting there for the same price but they refused and told me I would have to come back in the morning!

(This actually worked out OK for me...while I was arguing with Budget, the guy drove up in the truck, it's full of trash and he tells the Budget guy he changed his mind and wants to keep it for 2 more days. Budget guy tell him he can't keep it for 2 days because I have it reserved, and he says fine, take it as is...but the Budget guy tells him he can't return it full of trash b/c they have no one to clean it out, he needs to clean it out and the guy gets mad and basically says "I'm not ready to empty it out, I told you I'm keeping it 2 more days, so f*** you" and gets back in the truck and drives off. After seeing that the Budget guy DID give me the larger truck at the lower rate.)

#2 - go to store with a reservation, it's CLOSED (at an hour when they're supposed to be open) with no sign on door or anything indicating what is wrong. call store, no answer. call 800#, they say all they can do is call the store and when I explain that the store is closed and no one will answer, they say there is nothing else they can do. I called Uhaul and took a cab across town to pick up truck immediately!

I used U-haul when we bought our first house last year. At that time, U-haul had a promotion for a $29.99 rental and $15 for insurance. I bought the insurance coverage as it was relatively inexpensive and for my peace of mind (as I was already signing a big mortgage for the next 15 years).

nothing like moving and having no problems with a u-haul. I go to return it after hours and park in between 2 other uhauls and smashed both of them. In total I had 3 uhauls with pretty decent damage. I never heard a word from uhaul thanks to the insurance they offer. I always get it when I rent large trucks due to how akward they are to drive.

Remind me to stay away from all of you FWers when you're moving. Crazy, it seems like you all should invest in pro movers next time.

I ran into the sonic overhang/ceiling about a year ago. Buy the insurance. Driving that beast isnt hard, but you don't realize how big it is until you hear a loud noise.

I used Uhaul and had good experience, even though everything was not perfect.

First of all they matched competitors price, and gave me a bigger truck.
Second they did not have car tow at correct location and after reminding them of their policy, that if it is not at the location you reserved it they must knock of $50, I ended up getting it for almost free. Made sure they gave it to me the $50 discount right then and there, after a call to manager it was done.

I called and checked with my insurance company and they comfirmed that the truck would not be covered. I could just imagine, the scenario of not my fault happening and being stuck with a thousand plus dollar repair bill. The peace of mind is well worth the price of the insurance.

Scare tactic for very lucrative insurance policy.

My experiences with U-H have been so bad over the years that if a friend wants help moving, will ask who they are getting a truck from first. If its U-H, they are on their own. Their equipment is crap, at best and tends to break down regularly.

OP, have you called the company that you have your auto insurance with? Short time rider available?

re: UHaul generally.

Google it -- they get BY FAR the worst reviews of any major company.

My own UHaul story. I rented a truck for moving and they didn't have one. However, the guy working the counter said he could fix on of the broken ones and I'd be on my way. I needed to move THAT DAY so I really had no other choice. He went outside, tinkered on it for 5 minutes and said it was good to go. It worked fine, so I loaded my stuff and got on the road. About 5 minutes after leaving my house, the brakes went out and I crashed into the car in front of me. Apparently the $8/hour desk jockey's brake job didn't hold up. Go figure. I will never rent another truck from UHaul, no matter what.

+1 on staying away from FW movers -- DAMN! Too many crazy stories in here.

I regularly use the U-Haul by my house to transport various items -- furniture, lumber, lawn mower, even a shed -- and I've never had any problem with them. Trucks have never broken down, and whenever they don't have the truck I reserved (which has happened several times), they always give me a larger truck or allow me to pick something else at no extra charge. Must be a YMMV.

I echo those who have recommended insurance for U-Hauls because you never know what might happen when you're driving a large truck ...

Staying away from most rental truck jockeys is a good idea. On one move I had a 26' U-Haul and a car trailer, was in a truck stop, had to back into a spot due to lot construction, did so, got out to see 2 drivers standing there watching me -- they said they were surprised I did it cleanly on the first try. I laughed, and told them I learned to drive trucks in Korean-war vintage surplus flatbeds working for a scout camp and had a CDL.

U-Haul often does have battered equipment, but their truck design is a lot easier to deal with from ground level than the typical box truck designed for on and off-loading at a loading dock. If you have a choice, go with a U-Haul owned large center w/storage as opposed to a small operator who has a few trucks -- typically newer equipment in better shape.

Oh, and OP, get the insurance. Worth it, especially as you will likely be out of your comfort zone driving a truck.

As a previous poster mentioned, the uhaul insurance does NOT cover overhead damage. My family and i have moved 8 times is 10 years and have used a variety of companies, most often uhaul. I have had trucks break down, and only one accident so far. In my case was leaving a storage facility and clipped the keypad. Not much damage but the keypad was busted, truck scratched. Luckily my employer pays for insurance on truck so never any questions from uhaul. Another poster mentioned that when he had insurance they dont check the truck, this alao is generally true. It sucks and it is expensive, but i do not know of any alternatives to the company insurance.

YMMV - Everytime I used equpiment from Uhaul and bought the insurance, they never check the truck out. However, the one time I didn't buy it, they used a fine tooth comb. I suggest buying the bribe for less hassel.

svr411 said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   DONT use uhaul

Can you give a bit more specific information than that?

Any large company has examples of people complaining about every little thing.

What is the actual problem with Uhaul which we should be looking for, instead of the statistically insignificant one-off rants which pollute the results?
U-Haul is notorious for poor maintenance on their vehicles. Seems like once a year I see a consumer reports-type story on the local news where the crew rents a van and then has it inspected - broken lights, low on oil, missing mirrors, bad tires, bad brakes, etc. If you *DO* rent from them, perform a full inspection in the lot; check lights, blinkers, brake lights, mirrors and anything else you are capable of inspecting. In the first mile, check the brakes. If there is ANYTHING out of the ordinary, take the vehicle back immediately.

Or save yourself the hassle and rent from Ryder or Penske.

I have used U-Haul four times without issue. While I get a sketchy feeling in there, I don't believe that any other moving truck company would be different. I generally go with what my gut tells me on insurance.
Out of state move? Definitely get it.
In-town move where you know the roads and drivers? Get it if they suck, don't if they don't.

I'm actually a Uhaul dealer... I know and hear of a lot of the crap that happens with Uhaul dealers. My customers come and complain about other dealers, but honestly the service you get is really upto each individual dealer. We actually are slow on our primary business so the Uhaul gets plenty of attention and we try not to overbook the trucks and we do our best to make the customers happy. Basically the Uhaul industry looks like this: A whole bunch of dealers who get 20% commission on what you pay, they don't give a damn because everybody wants a truck. There is a huge supply demand imbalance with Uhauls so the dealers feel like customer service is unnecessary/unimportant and most dealers feel it is ok to be rude. My particular dealership doesn't think so and we have a lot of happy customers at our place. It is also the reason why our dealership grew to be one of the largest dealerships in the local area.

As for the insurance, there is a $0 deductible. You can obliterate the truck and have just the $14 insurance and be clear (covers you/truck). The $29 insurance is if you hit someone else and they make a claim (covers you/truck/other vehicles).

Hope that helps.

I think good Auto insurance carriers (on your personal auto) cover truck-rentals (know for fact Amica, and USAA covered it). Also, typical home-owners policy (not sure rental policy) covers some if not all portions of damage (know for fact).

Now - in most scenarios, I would still insist getting uhauls $14 policy, just because these moving trucks are no your typical auto to handle/drive/turn/brake and just plain-awkward.

Wish there is any study on self-moving insurance coverage requirements!

dcwilbur said:   U-Haul is notorious for poor maintenance on their vehicles. Seems like once a year I see a consumer reports-type story on the local news where the crew rents a van and then has it inspected - broken lights, low on oil, missing mirrors, bad tires, bad brakes, etc. If you *DO* rent from them, perform a full inspection in the lot; check lights, blinkers, brake lights, mirrors and anything else you are capable of inspecting. In the first mile, check the brakes. If there is ANYTHING out of the ordinary, take the vehicle back immediately.

Or save yourself the hassle and rent from Ryder or Penske.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

I'm skeptical about complaints of poor service from any one Uhaul location reflecting on the chain as a whole, seeing as Uhaul locations are typically run by independent franchisees leasing out Uhaul corporate property.

Being a professional 12 year tractor-trailer driver, I think I'm qualified to say that people who operate large moving trucks are among the worst drivers on the road. Many cannot effectively handle the equipment nor the long driving hours. I stay as far away as possible from them, especially while passing.

Get the insurance.

Skipping 39 Messages...
OK, thanks for the follow up. Good luck!

i3ighead said:   caramelito said:   i3ighead said:   I ran into the sonic overhang/ceiling about a year ago. Buy the insurance. Driving that beast isnt hard, but you don't realize how big it is until you hear a loud noise.

Hello, I remember your story!. So, how did it end? How much did they charge you?

They never contacted me again. Either that or I lost the mail piece and there is a warrant for my arrest.

Either way. *knock on wood*

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014