• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The only reason I have left to visit a physical bank branch is to deposit a monthly expense check, and due to my hours it usually takes a week or so for it to even get to a bank.

Does anyone know of a bank that allows for deposits from a cell phone photo or scanner? Anyone know if it is coming to ING in the near future?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I just checked this out and it says it takes at least 6 days for the deposit to be processed. I think I will stick with ... (more)

billrubin (Jul. 19, 2011 @ 5:25p) |

I just noticed that the deposit icon is now missing from my Penfed account. I can't find their internet deposit functio... (more)

erinm (Aug. 02, 2011 @ 7:53p) |

Capital One will supposedly add this. I asked awhile back and they said it was planned. ING accounts will become Capit... (more)

grex23 (Aug. 02, 2011 @ 7:56p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Chase has simple iPhone deposit

You do realize that any bank has a 24 hour ATM where you can Make deposits , you don't need to go during bank hours . Also there ate many deposit taking ATMs in grocery stores and drug stores, so unless you're a hermit you walk past these all the time. A special trip to a bank isn't necessary in most cities

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Chase has simple iPhone deposit

chase also has the andriod app for the same purpose. Not the entire world uses iPhone

yes I use andriod phone and a quick search of the top financial apps in andriod marketplace, I only see chase and USAA offer deposit through phone app. BoA, WellsFargo TD Banks ING don't offer that, at the moment.

ZenNUTS said:   DidYouSearch?

I did, and the terms I searched had the most recent thread at a year old with 1 reply

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Chase has simple iPhone deposit

You do realize that any bank has a 24 hour ATM where you can Make deposits , you don't need to go during bank hours . Also there ate many deposit taking ATMs in grocery stores and drug stores, so unless you're a hermit you walk past these all the time. A special trip to a bank isn't necessary in most cities

I live in not the greatest area of brooklyn and the only nearby bank within walking distance (which is scheduled to open next week) is BOA which I refuse to use as do many others.

liar said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Chase has simple iPhone deposit

chase also has the android app for the same purpose. Not the entire world uses iPhone

yes I use android phone and a quick search of the top financial apps in android marketplace, I only see chase and USAA offer deposit through phone app. BoA, WellsFargo TD Banks ING don't offer that, at the moment.

Awesome. I saw a commercial for chase, but on the site it looked like it was business accounts only. Google led me to the Android app being discussed but it was a year old thread and said check deposits weren't available.

Google has now also led em to Alliant CU. Anyone here a fan? Anyone want to rant about pros/cons of Alliant?

Grue237 said:   Google has now also led em to Alliant CU. Anyone here a fan? Anyone want to rant about pros/cons of Alliant?

Perhaps a thread with 3500+ replies would be able to assist. Again, you can google search but not use FW search?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&q...

There's nothing particularly wrong with Alliant. Who you bank with is really a matter of preference more than anything else... I bank with Chase and CapitalOne, both of whom a lot of people wouldn't even touch, though I've had positive experiences with both and there are branches all over my area. I personally use the Chase Android app and have found it to be very functional, and have never had any issues making a check deposit with it. Also, their no-envelope depository ATMs seem to be installed at all the branches around me now.

kwest said:   Grue237 said:   Google has now also led em to Alliant CU. Anyone here a fan? Anyone want to rant about pros/cons of Alliant?

Perhaps a thread with 3500+ replies would be able to assist. Again, you can google search but not use FW search?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&q...

Nope my search was http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/search/results.php?type=forums&query=scanned+check&sort=&match=titles&forum=52
Which as I said shows a thread 200 days old.

As for the Alliant thread, id rather not read through 3500 posts to get opinions that can be as old as 4 years

Digital credit union has scanned deposit, also State Farm Bank

ATMs have check scanners at some banks. I wish my banks would provide this as well but only one of them I use has the Check scanners at the ATM. The 2nd one has old infrastructure and no check scanners whatsoever.

But none of them have remote deposit capture at the moment for personal customers and it isn't worth it for me to sign up with a bank that does since I can just pop into the ATM to deposit.

I don't see remote deposit capture as being a regularly offered product anytime now or in the future for personal customers. For business customers who process loads of checks, remote deposit capture is a routine product and offered.

I've been using Paypal, and transferring when the check clears. So far so good.

I use my iphone chase app to deposit cheques.Very easy to use

kwest said:   Perhaps a thread with 3500+ replies would be able to assist. Again, you can google search but not use FW search?If you are going to criticize the OP about search, at least provide a link that answers his question well. The two most recent pages of that extremely long thread mostly deal with questions about dormant fees and ACH transfers.

Anyway, OP, there was one post from the beginning of February that caught my eye:

PeteyNice said:   I am sure it has been said many times on this thread but I am so impressed with Alliant right now. I scanned a check about a month ago and they put an obscene hold on it. Hey, whatever, it's a new account. Earlier this week I tried to scan another check and had all kinds of problems, it just wouldn't take. I was resigned to getting up tomorrow and dragging myself to my B&M bank. I decided to give it one more shot. Used the same images that it balked at before and this time it worked! And the money is in my account right now! Unbelievable! After the check scanning debacle earlier this week I was really considering bailing since that was the main attraction to me. For now I will write it off as a one time thing. All banks need to get on the check scanning bandwagon.

USAA has apps for android and iphone. No one ever complains about USAA.

luckybob04 said:   kwest said:   Perhaps a thread with 3500+ replies would be able to assist. Again, you can google search but not use FW search?If you are going to criticize the OP about search, at least provide a link that answers his question well. The two most recent pages of that extremely long thread mostly deal with questions about dormant fees and ACH transfers.

Anyway, OP, there was one post from the beginning of February that caught my eye:

PeteyNice said:   I am sure it has been said many times on this thread but I am so impressed with Alliant right now. I scanned a check about a month ago and they put an obscene hold on it. Hey, whatever, it's a new account. Earlier this week I tried to scan another check and had all kinds of problems, it just wouldn't take. I was resigned to getting up tomorrow and dragging myself to my B&M bank. I decided to give it one more shot. Used the same images that it balked at before and this time it worked! And the money is in my account right now! Unbelievable! After the check scanning debacle earlier this week I was really considering bailing since that was the main attraction to me. For now I will write it off as a one time thing. All banks need to get on the check scanning bandwagon.

Gracias!

For the folks who are currently using this service via their phone, care to give a quick summary of how this work? Once you've scanned the check, after x number of days you get the amount deposited to your account but do you need to still send the check? Is it via mail or you can just drop those checks in your bank? If you are mailing, do you get some kind of pre-paid envelope from bank that you use or you need to add postage every time?

Thanks in advance.

dealgrabber2010 said:   For the folks who are currently using this service via their phone, care to give a quick summary of how this work? Once you've scanned the check, after x number of days you get the amount deposited to your account but do you need to still send the check? Is it via mail or you can just drop those checks in your bank? If you are mailing, do you get some kind of pre-paid envelope from bank that you use or you need to add postage every time?

At least with Chase, you never have to deliver the physical check. I expect that's the case for the others, as well. They just use the image(s). I usually keep the check for a week or so - just in case. As for hold times, I've only deposited small checks (<$100). I get credit the next day for those. Chase limits phone deposits to $1,000/check and $3,000/day. With those limits, I doubt they are putting real long holds.

Chase's ATM scanners have problems with red colored checks. Too many splotches left after filtering. Teller's scanner doesn't seem to have any problems with them. Anyone have better luck depositing similar checks using their phone?

kshell said:   Chase's ATM scanners have problems with red colored checks. Too many splotches left after filtering. Teller's scanner doesn't seem to have any problems with them. Anyone have better luck depositing similar checks using their phone?

I never had the need to deposit a red check... If you are willing to write me one i will test it

kshell said:   Chase's ATM scanners have problems with red colored checks. Too many splotches left after filtering. Teller's scanner doesn't seem to have any problems with them. Anyone have better luck depositing similar checks using their phone?Hmmm, I don't recall how many of those are red, but Chase ATM had problems with about 80% of rebate checks I've tried to deposit there. These are the "postcard checks." Really annoying.

liar said:   kshell said:   Chase's ATM scanners have problems with red colored checks. Too many splotches left after filtering. Teller's scanner doesn't seem to have any problems with them. Anyone have better luck depositing similar checks using their phone?

I never had the need to deposit a red check... If you are willing to write me one i will test it
Sorry, I go the cheap route. All my checks are generic blue given (was given) to me free of charge by my bank.

While Alliant is the best, Penfed and NRFE CU also offer limited scanning.

cclyde said:    Chase limits phone deposits to $1,000/check and $3,000/day.

Also good to know, as my expense checks are regularly in the 2-3k range.

A teaser from ING:

I hear a lot of buzz about being able to scan checks for deposit called Remote Deposit Capture. Is this something ING DIRECT will offer in the future?
Letís just say, itís in the works. Weíre working hard to offer you more convenient ways to make deposits into your ING DIRECT account(s). Stay tunedÖ

http://helpcenter.ingdirect.com/ingd/Topic.aspx?category=TRANS1

newfeature
Disclaimer
U.S. Bank

Paypal (which is not a bank) now allows this via Android Link and looks like they already had it for iPhone.

crhptic said:   Digital credit union has scanned deposit, also State Farm Bank

I love Digital credit union : you get same day credit for scanned check deposits with no holds (up to $5000 total per day).

Our credit union just started to offer scanned check deposits and I immediately signed up. Then I read the fine print, and now I'm pretty certain I'll never use it.

The terms and conditions specify I would need to retain every check for 6 months. After that, I can destroy them. Not really interested in more piles of paper, I'll just deposit them at the ATM.

A minor facelift for ING Direct's web site today, with notable addition of "Deposit Checks" option under "Transfers & Deposits" tab. Clicking that brings up a message "Depositing checks is about to get a whole lot easier. Stay tuned..." So looks like it's imminent.

If you're in the Northeast, TD Bank and Rockland Trust both offer mobile deposit. TD has it for Android, Blackberry and iPhone. RT has it for iPhone with Android and Blackberry coming in July. I currently use USAA's Deposit@Home -- but I don't get next-day availability on my deposits, which for me is a must. I have to say I don't understand how USAA (a bank with a reputation for innovation and a worldwide reach) can't offer 100% next day funds availability, when my little podunk regional bank can. It's one of the little things I find irritating about USAA.

MsWho2 said:   If you're in the Northeast, TD Bank and Rockland Trust both offer mobile deposit. TD has it for Android, Blackberry and iPhone.I am not seeing this on TD's Android app.

Fidelity now offers photo deposits in their Android app.

talljay said:   Paypal (which is not a bank) now allows this via Android Link and looks like they already had it for iPhone.I just checked this out and it says it takes at least 6 days for the deposit to be processed. I think I will stick with Schwab.

I just noticed that the deposit icon is now missing from my Penfed account. I can't find their internet deposit functionality on the site anymore.

I used it about a half-dozen times/month, but recently started having issues with it. I hope it comes back.

Capital One will supposedly add this. I asked awhile back and they said it was planned. ING accounts will become Capital One and hopefully will offer the best of both institutions.

Integrations always take time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014