• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Does anyone know of any institutions that offer free wire transfers?

If so, what are the requirements?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If you are in the U.S. Military (Active or Reserve), Chase is now offering both a personal checking account and business... (more)

FatMoneyClip (Aug. 02, 2011 @ 7:19p) |

USAA free.

KromiX (Aug. 02, 2011 @ 7:30p) |

KromiX, are you sure USAA offers free "wire transfers?" When I log into USAA it shows the following fee schedule for wi... (more)

FatMoneyClip (Aug. 02, 2011 @ 7:45p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:

Northwest Federal Credit Union, free incoming and outgoing domestic wire transfers. Search their link for premier or heritage accounts.

gwu1986 said:   Northwest Federal Credit Union, free incoming and outgoing domestic wire transfers. Search their link for premier or heritage accounts.
Thanks. 50K requirement seems high, but it still looks like a good deal at $10 per month, if the balance is not maintained.

Do they pull a hard? Fully online application process, mail, or in person?

If anyone knows of one, could you also state if it is a personal or business account?

Great idea OP - I've been looking for one as well.

EverBank has free incoming wires, but charges for outgoing.
Webster Bank (Connecticut) has free incoming wires on some accounts, but charges for outgoing.

Key Bank
Key Privilege Select Checking
All incoming domestic wire transfers are free, plus one free outgoing domestic transfers per month
Link to a business checking account to avoid monthly fee

https://www.key.com/html/key-total-business-personal-banking.htm...

you can transfer money between accounts at ING, unless you're looking for B&M bank. I don't know if this counts as "wire transfer" or not.

i have seen many cases where incoming is free- but outgoing is always charged (check for your local credit unions- the smaller ones). patelco/star one cu had some free ones but I think its all gone now.

Hsbc business direct checking

No minimum and 5 free wires per month

I just did an international wire transfer from my Fidelity brokerage account for a vacation rental in Portugal, and there was no charge. They did take a bit less than 2.5% in the currency conversion (dollars to euros) but that was very reasonable, IMO.

I have had little need for wire transfers, but the Fidelity rep assured me there was no charge to either send or receive one.

does this include international transfer?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Hsbc business direct checking

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a couple links to lists of banks with free wires.. but they will get blocked if I try to post it here.

vicester said:   I have a couple links to lists of banks with free wires.. but they will get blocked if I try to post it here.
PM is ok.

hsbc premier offer free wire transfer for international and domestic

vicester said:   I have a couple links to lists of banks with free wires.. but they will get blocked if I try to post it here.

I'd like a PM on theselists. Thanks!

Chase Platinum checking has free incoming for personal accounts

kvs25 said:   you can transfer money between accounts at ING, unless you're looking for B&M bank. I don't know if this counts as "wire transfer" or not.

A wire is different than an ACH transfer.

I've never had a bank that charged for incoming wires... That would be ridiculous.

ykh said:   does this include international transfer?

Why d0nt you check their website? Or would you like me to do that for you too ? Would you like a cup of coffee as well?

JTFH said:   I've never had a bank that charged for incoming wires... That would be ridiculous.Lots of them do. Citi Chase bofa etc

JTFH said:   I've never had a bank that charged for incoming wires... That would be ridiculous.

So please tell us the bank(s) and what types of accounts.

I have been looking for one too. Any banks that does domestic wire transfers for cheap will be great.

vemulasri said:   I have been looking for one too. Any banks that does domestic wire transfers for cheap will be great. was it too hard to read the posts above?

vemulasri said:   I have been looking for one too. Any banks that does domestic wire transfers for cheap will be great.

I think Citibak does is for $12 if you do it online from their website.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   ykh said:   does this include international transfer?

Why d0nt you check their website? Or would you like me to do that for you too ? Would you like a cup of coffee as well?

Hey SIS - I looked through the HSBC website, but I haven't been able to find exact details on international wire transfers. I would appreciate it very much if you could point me in the right direction...

rajiv said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   ykh said:   does this include international transfer?

Hey SIS - I looked through the HSBC website, but I haven't been able to find exact details on international wire transfers. I would appreciate it very much if you could point me in the right direction...

just answered my own question - it appears that the first 5 wire transfers include both domestic and international. This is a great deal!

I guess I spoke too soon - the website is asking for all sorts of business information including date of establishment and a bunch of other government issued ID's, codes, etc. Since I don't have a business yet, I guess I won't be able to open an account at this time...

Schwab offers three free domestic wire transfers per quarter if you have a household balance of more than $100k or make 36 or more stock or option trades per year.

WAMU offers free outgoing wires.

Oh, wait...

I completed a wire tranfer from Alliant CU today. The outgoing was $25.
The reason I wired funds rather than ACH transfer was because of the time element.
I just opened the Tennessee Commerce Bank, Classic Savings Account, and wanted to get the 1.60% APY on $250K.
Alliant CU will ACH $100K per day and with the weekend coming I wanted to get the money in and start drawing the great 1.60% APY interest.
Of course Tennessee Commerce Bank did not charge for the incoming wire.

pattyb53 said:   I completed a wire tranfer from Alliant CU today. The outgoing was $25.
The reason I wired funds rather than ACH transfer was because of the time element.
I just opened the Tennessee Commerce Bank, Classic Savings Account, and wanted to get the 1.60% APY on $250K.
Alliant CU will ACH $100K per day and with the weekend coming I wanted to get the money in and start drawing the great 1.60% APY interest.
Of course Tennessee Commerce Bank did not charge for the incoming wire.
If you have a performance account or are a heritage member @ NWFCU, the domestic wire transfers are free. For unlimited domestic wires. And, NWFCU makes it very easy for family members to link your accounts to take advantage of this feature.

EDIT: I am an idiot, bc I thought you were discussing NWFCU v Alliant.

As to Alliant, I've wired funds from and to them (very easily online), and the charge was $15. So, the wire fee may be fluid based on your status (I believe they use platinum, gold, silver, et al.)

Sorry for my confusion.

For Advantage customers and above at BOA (it doesn't take much to become an Advantage customer there), all incoming wire transfers are always free. Outgoing domestic wire transfers are $25 but I've never actually had to pay it -- BOA has always provided courtesy reimbursements to me.

I know I've posted it before but BOA's wire system is also exceptional. Incoming wires get posted into your account within 5-10 minutes of the fed funds # becoming available, which is by far the fastest of any other bank that I've ever experienced. For outgoing wire transfers, you can now do the whole thing online, which saves time and eliminates mistakes. They also get those wires out very quickly.

By the way, in my experience, while Citi allows you to request a wire transfer online, they are also one of the slowest institutions to get them out.

Citi required talking to me before processing my online wire....for security purposes. That took a day extra

Does bofa require speaking to someone before the online wire request Is processed ?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Citi required talking to me before processing my online wire....for security purposes. That took a day extraYep, me too, which is pretty absurd. You don't request a wire if you have an extra day to go through its verification system.

Does bofa require speaking to someone before the online wire request Is processed ?Nope. If you request it online, it goes out within 15-20 minutes, which is really fast.

pattyb53 said:   Of course Tennessee Commerce Bank did not charge for the incoming wire.

Regions bank, incredibly, charges for incoming wire transfers! They are also not very transparent about their fees, which is frustrating.

doveroftke said:   pattyb53 said:   Of course Tennessee Commerce Bank did not charge for the incoming wire.

Regions bank, incredibly, charges for incoming wire transfers! They are also not very transparent about their fees, which is frustrating.
Wire processing is always a manual process. So, banks processing both incoming and outgoing wires require additional personnel, technology, etc... Hence, the reason that it's not at all uncommon for banks to charge even for incoming wires, although higher level accounts are always exempt from those.

thok said:   WAMU offers free outgoing wires.

Oh, wait...
Even then, they weren't really free as WaMu had to use an intermediary bank, which charged $15.

geo123 said:   doveroftke said:   pattyb53 said:   Of course Tennessee Commerce Bank did not charge for the incoming wire.

Wire processing is always a manual process. So, banks processing both incoming and outgoing wires require additional personnel, technology, etc... Hence, the reason that it's not at all uncommon for banks to charge even for incoming wires, although higher level accounts are always exempt from those.

Is this recently becoming a trend? I just checked BoA and they have a fee to receive wire transfers, but I was never charged it when I had an account there several years ago (basic checking/savings, not a large balance).

Anyway, I still think it's a BS fee. Processing a deposit at the counter is a manual (and, I would presume, more expensive) process as well, but they don't charge for that. They want me to make deposits, right?

doveroftke said:   Is this recently becoming a trend? I just checked BoA and they have a fee to receive wire transfers, but I was never charged it when I had an account there several years ago (basic checking/savings, not a large balance).I've been with BOA (well, started out with predecessor banks) for about 18 years. As far as I recall, the fee was always there but most account types were always exempt from it. At this point, Advantage accounts and above at BOA are exempt from the fee.

Anyway, I still think it's a BS fee. Processing a deposit at the counter is a manual (and, I would presume, more expensive) process as well, but they don't charge for that. They want me to make deposits, right?I hear you but am just explaining the banks' rationale. By the way, there are account types out there at some banks that do not allow you to make any transactions with tellers, including making deposits, without incurring a fee.

Skipping 14 Messages...
KromiX said:   USAA free.

KromiX, are you sure USAA offers free "wire transfers?" When I log into USAA it shows the following fee schedule for wires:

Wire Transfer Fees
Domestic Outgoing: $20
International Outgoing: $35
Incoming: No charge

USAA advertises "Free unlimited fund transfers to and from any bank nationwide from your USAA Free Checking Account" but I think these are automatic clearing house (ACH) transfers and not wire transfers.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014