• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just opened one of Schwab's Investor Checking accounts and the initial correspondence has a 12-digit account number. Every check I've ever seen has a 10-digit account number on it (though the checks for this account haven't arrived yet).

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I wonder - did banks that used sequential account numbering use 1 for the drawer account (for cashier's checks and the l... (more)

ThePessimist (Mar. 21, 2011 @ 8:22p) |

Typically not, a bank of accounts is set for internal bank accounts.

GreyRabbit (Mar. 22, 2011 @ 2:25p) |

My Wells Fargo, formerly Wachovia, formerly First Union account number is 13 digits.

reptilian (Mar. 23, 2011 @ 9:37a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No.

In all my bank accounts I've always had 8, 9, or 10, with 9 being more common than 8 and 10 combined.

Fidelity brokerage checks have 13 digits.

One of mine was only 6 digits - recently went to 7 when new bank aquired. The accout was >35 years old.

Most of the banks I've used have had 9 or 10, but 12 or 13 definitely isn't out of the ordinary.

Nope. My old wamu acount which is now Chase is 10, my new Chase ones are 9, and my Merrill Lynch cma is 12.

Alliant's acccount numbers are HUGE

Alliant uses 14 digits. But, to answer your question, no, there's no standard. I don't recall offhand what the limit is for account number size for ACH transactions, but it's at least 17 digits.

I have a 7 digit acct #, so no.

I'm an auditor and used to audit a company in a small town that had used the same checking account for about a 100 years. Their checking account number had 2 digits. I don't remember the account number exactly, but I think it was less than 20.

This is almost certainly a situation in which the account's security has been breached and a phony account number sent to OP.

OP should immediately send the checks to me for testing. A completed signature card, social security number and mother's maiden name would greatly facilitate my testing.

Mine isn't very long, but it has a lot of girth.

no, but what does that matter? as long as the routing # is in the same length, i am okay.

fasttimes said:   Mine isn't very long, but it has a lot of girth.

My wife says the size of my checking account number doesn't matter. It's the balance in the account that's important. She's right, isn't she?

IrishTomBunny said:   fasttimes said:   Mine isn't very long, but it has a lot of girth.

My wife says the size of my checking account number doesn't matter. It's the balance in the account that's important. She's right, isn't she?

I'll ask her next time I see her.

fasttimes said:   Mine isn't very long, but it has a lot of girth.Mine really has lot of digits, but they're mostly ones so it only looks smaller than everyone else's.

I've a variety of sizes, depending on... Oh, nevermind.

IrishTomBunny said:   fasttimes said:   Mine isn't very long, but it has a lot of girth.

I think she's just being polite and concerned about your self esteem.

OP, you're getting hosed. Go back there and demand a 10 digit acct. number. You may have to ask for a manager.

Citibank has 16 digit account numbers. Talk about a wasted thread!

The # of digits in a checking account varies from bank to bank/CU, and if the # begins with 0, the 0s don't really matter. As a previous poster said, it's the routing #, or bank/CU name that counts most. The originating bank can use any numerical method to identify individual account holders. The bank itself gets charged by it's routing #, everything else, is the originating banks problem.

Bank checking account is only 7 digits, my credit union account is only 4 digits (but they are both very old accounts).

bharatiya said:   Citibank has 16 digit account numbers. Talk about a wasted thread!

My Citibank checking account number is 10 digits. The only 16-digit account numbers I've seen are on my credit cards.

Actually, ALL accounts in the US have 50 numbers. What you don't realize is that the first 36-42 or so numbers are all zero.

ds394 said:   Actually, ALL accounts in the US have 50 numbers. What you don't realize is that the first 36-42 or so numbers are all zero.

... and prior to 1959, they only had 48 numbers.

Puerto Rico would have been given statehood long ago if it weren't for Citigroup and BoA's lobbying efforts. They claim the costs of changing their systems to handle 51-digit account numbers would be prohibitive.

ThePessimist said:   Alliant uses 14 digits. But, to answer your question, no, there's no standard. I don't recall offhand what the limit is for account number size for ACH transactions, but it's at least 17 digits.

NACHA format - DFI Account number field (field 5) is 17 digits.

Once, when I represented a bank's corporate affiliate in a sale of a business, the seller's account number was 4 digits (and a low 4-digit number, at that). I thought that was pretty cool.

Imagine if you had the #1?

My Vanguard account number that I use for direct deposit begins with the letters VAN. I don't know if those are truncated or anything during transmission but it works fine and USAA didn't complain when I linked it online.

The only place I've been where the length of the account number mattered was REI, where the shorter the number the greater the esteem.

Even then, it didn't get you a bigger dividend. Just the admiration of your fellow members, maybe. And the recognition that you were older than dirt.

GreyRabbit said:   Imagine if you had the #1?
I wonder - did banks that used sequential account numbering use 1 for the drawer account (for cashier's checks and the like)?

ThePessimist said:   GreyRabbit said:   Imagine if you had the #1?
I wonder - did banks that used sequential account numbering use 1 for the drawer account (for cashier's checks and the like)?

Typically not, a bank of accounts is set for internal bank accounts.

My Wells Fargo, formerly Wachovia, formerly First Union account number is 13 digits.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014