• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Be careful churning AMEX/Visa/MC giftcards on Paypal. I generally buy them at less than face value or I buy them on Thanksgiving so I can get some free lift tickets. I've added and deleted numerous gift cards to churn them into WalMart and gas GCs to save some money. Now I can't use Paypal for 6 months. That means that some of my contracting payments is going to sit there for that much time instead of going to me.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

fedguy (Jun. 02, 2011 @ 5:49p) |

Should have bought eBay giftcards with the money. It's a pain to individually enter them, but you won't get hit with the... (more)

madcowdisease (Jun. 02, 2011 @ 11:16p) |

Try adding -site:eBay.com to your search. That might work better.

kranky (Jun. 03, 2011 @ 9:50a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Why not just directly buy the WalMart/Gas GC's with the AMEX/visa gift cards?

What about adding and deleting too many bank accounts?

Paypal sucks...

But seriously, keep calling until you get through to their fraud dept. You'll get told nothing can be done, but if you are persistent, you might get lucky.

mlkrgr said:   Be careful churning AMEX/Visa/MC giftcards on Paypal. I generally buy them at less than face value or I buy them on Thanksgiving so I can get some free lift tickets. I've added and deleted numerous gift cards to churn them into WalMart and gas GCs to save some money. Now I can't use Paypal for 6 months. That means that some of my contracting payments is going to sit there for that much time instead of going to me.Have you tried calling them up? Their phone CSR folks have been able to alleviate similar issues that I've encountered.

Alternately, sign up for another account? I use two separate ones for sending and receiving funds, for instance.

So the big question is how many did you get up to?

maddybeagle said:   Why not just directly buy the WalMart/Gas GC's with the AMEX/visa gift cards?probably buying them on eBay for an additional discount.

personal or premier?

you can have both, so if you only have 1, might wanna try opening another account.

They did the same thing to me a month ago. I must have added 15 cards over the past three years-- mostly just Discovercard one-time disposable credit card numbers.

I will not waste my time calling these losers up. All I do now is use my wife's Paypal account. I'll switch off theoretically every 6 months when the other account gets limited.

I can't wait until the day when Paypal joins Blockbuster and other similar companies that cause so much resentment and ill will in their customers. It's that sort of "what comes around goes around" that cannot be captured in a balance sheet. It will happen to Paypal. Hopefully one day they'll freeze the wrong guy's or gal's account balance and they'll end up paying punitive damages for millennia. It only takes someone like me on a jury.

I seriously hope someone puts them out of business.

MEGAWALLET said:   It only takes someone like me on a jury.If they hire competent lawyers, someone like you wouldn't be on the jury...

MEGAWALLET said:   They did the same thing to me a month ago. I must have added 15 cards over the past three years-- mostly just Discovercard one-time disposable credit card numbers.

I will not waste my time calling these losers up. All I do now is use my wife's Paypal account. I'll switch off theoretically every 6 months when the other account gets limited.

I can't wait until the day when Paypal joins Blockbuster and other similar companies that cause so much resentment and ill will in their customers. It's that sort of "what comes around goes around" that cannot be captured in a balance sheet. It will happen to Paypal. Hopefully one day they'll freeze the wrong guy's or gal's account balance and they'll end up paying punitive damages for millennia. It only takes someone like me on a jury.

Yet you keep using them....

Same here, so opened a new account - life goes on. Begging Paypal is about as useful as talking to a brick. Only the foolhardy maintain money in Paypal accounts, provide them with open credit cards, and link to bank accounts with balances.

mlkrgr said:   Now I can't use Paypal for 6 monthsDoes your account have a status of Limited?
If so, you may still not be able to use your PayPal account even after 180 days. But you will be able to withdraw all funds after 180 days.

The beauty of PayPal is the fact you can make even $0.01 transfers!

At this point, not using Paypal is almost like refusing to use Microsoft Office at work. Yeah, you can do it, but you have to sacrifice alot of opportunities to do so.

AugustFour said:   The beauty of PayPal is the fact you can make even $0.01 transfers!

Most bill pay systems do not let you send under $1 payments. I have bought a lot of stuff off eBay which requires a Paypal account in order to send payment. I haven't sent a check to cover eBay purchases since the early 2000s.

I was using virtual CC with paypal account and they suspended my account too .... I sent them email explaining that I am being extra careful with my CC ... they removed the suspension.

Citi CC let you make purchases for $0.01 .... and you can use virtual CC.

I don't understand why you guys are bothering with a virtual CC and PayPal in the first place.

cashmonkey said:   MEGAWALLET said:   It only takes someone like me on a jury.If they hire competent lawyers, someone like you wouldn't be on the jury...

True. It would have to be a Runaway Jury of sorts.

Glitch99 said:   MEGAWALLET said:   They did the same thing to me a month ago. I must have added 15 cards over the past three years-- mostly just Discovercard one-time disposable credit card numbers.

Yet you keep using them....

It's like wishing my heroin dealer dropped dead. It's not that I want to stop using heroin, I just want him dead.

CommandCenter2 said:   At this point, not using Paypal is almost like refusing to use Microsoft Office at work. Yeah, you can do it, but you have to sacrifice alot of opportunities to do so.

Exactly. eBay -> PayPal

hejustlaughs said:   I don't understand why you guys are bothering with a virtual CC and PayPal in the first place.

Better safe than sorry. One-time use means they can't go back and charge me whatever they want.

MEGAWALLET said:   hejustlaughs said:   I don't understand why you guys are bothering with a virtual CC and PayPal in the first place.

Better safe than sorry. One-time use means they can't go back and charge me whatever they want.

They can't just go back and "charge whatever they want". The end merchant doesn't get to see your CC#.

I can't even think of a scenario where you're left "sorry". If a charge is unauthorized a chargeback fixes the problem.

hejustlaughs said:   MEGAWALLET said:   hejustlaughs said:   I don't understand why you guys are bothering with a virtual CC and PayPal in the first place.

They can't just go back and "charge whatever they want". The end merchant doesn't get to see your CC#.

I can't even think of a scenario where you're left "sorry". If a charge is unauthorized a chargeback fixes the problem.

Correct. And the result of Paypal being unable to charge your one-time-use credit card vs. Paypal losing a chargback from your card is the same, i.e. your Paypal account is toast either way.

crhptic said:   hejustlaughs said:   MEGAWALLET said:   hejustlaughs said:   I don't understand why you guys are bothering with a virtual CC and PayPal in the first place.

Correct. And the result of Paypal being unable to charge your one-time-use credit card vs. Paypal losing a chargback from your card is the same, i.e. your Paypal account is toast either way.

I have done numerous chargebacks after loosing paypal disputes and never had a problem with my personal account. I know other people that have done far less and had their accounts suspended/frozen etc. There really doesn't seem to be a rime or reason behind suspended paypal accounts in general.

MEGAWALLET said:   CommandCenter2 said:   At this point, not using Paypal is almost like refusing to use Microsoft Office at work. Yeah, you can do it, but you have to sacrifice alot of opportunities to do so.

Exactly. eBay -> PayPal

I am so sick of typing "buy X" into Google and getting eBay link after eBay link.

CommandCenter2 said:   MEGAWALLET said:   CommandCenter2 said:   At this point, not using Paypal is almost like refusing to use Microsoft Office at work. Yeah, you can do it, but you have to sacrifice alot of opportunities to do so.

Exactly. eBay -> PayPal

I am so sick of typing "buy X" into Google and getting eBay link after eBay link.

I tried a few items and was not able to replicate that. But there's an easy fix ... just put -eBay in your search string. (do you really use the word "buy" in your Google searches? Why?)

Putting "buy" in your search does/did two things. One, it used to frequently trigger the Google Shopping subview. Two, it helps weed out alot of stupid jibber jabber like press releases, blogs, and forums. Putting phrases in quotes and using -Z flags doesn't always work either. Just because you can't replicate it (with no context to go off of) right now doesn't mean I don't sometimes have to click through 10 pages of the same repeated eBay listing(s).

I only really bring it up because no having Paypal prevents you from doing business over eBay and eBay is still a force in the small sales game. The situation has improved a little as Amazon's user listings have started to get more traffic though.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP32fe63c19d5a41bf9b2f880c6a13edf1.html

Poor PayPal. Google stole your secrets? Karma's a biatch. I hope the jury sides with Google. Put me on the jury!!! I hope Google puts you out of business. It's starting to happen!!!

CommandCenter2 said:   At this point, not using Paypal is almost like refusing to use Microsoft Office at work. Yeah, you can do it, but you have to sacrifice alot of opportunities to do so.
A very good analogy. To carry it further, people who complain loudly about it is typically due to using it incorrectly. And the reality is that as much as people mouth off against it, it is still the best available.

MaxRC said:   CommandCenter2 said:   At this point, not using Paypal is almost like refusing to use Microsoft Office at work. Yeah, you can do it, but you have to sacrifice alot of opportunities to do so.
it is still the best available.

Um, no. Paypal has a terrible setup and user experience. It is not not the best (market share does not equate to quality) by a long margin, but has a large user base. On the contrary, Amazon Payments is excellent, simple to use (though also easy to make mistakes), and a better user experience. Its problem is that it has little market share in comparison to the crooks at Paypal.

MaxRC said:   CommandCenter2 said:   At this point, not using Paypal is almost like refusing to use Microsoft Office at work. Yeah, you can do it, but you have to sacrifice alot of opportunities to do so.
A very good analogy. To carry it further, people who complain loudly about it is typically due to using it incorrectly. And the reality is that as much as people mouth off against it, it is still the best available.

PayPal is an eBay company. Should eBay decide it no longer wants to do business with you for reasons valid or invalid, then that ban will probably extend to PayPal, even for PayPal purchases that have nothing to do with eBay. It's not just a matter of refusing to do business with PayPal, it's also a matter of PayPal refusing to do business with you, for reasons that have nothing to do with PayPal itself.

It's time to find alternatives to PayPal and eBay. I hope Google Wallet succeeds as a viable replacement for PayPal.

MEGAWALLET said:   http://online.wsj.com/article/AP32fe63c19d5a41bf9b2f880c6a13edf1.html

Poor PayPal. Google stole your secrets? Karma's a biatch. I hope the jury sides with Google. Put me on the jury!!! I hope Google puts you out of business. It's starting to happen!!!

Perhaps Google Auctions will put eBay out of business as well....

Should have bought eBay giftcards with the money. It's a pain to individually enter them, but you won't get hit with the account lock.

I believe the quarterly limit is $5000.

5% CashBack CC + 2% eBay Bucks + 3% certain CashBack site = 10% potential return on eBay purchases.

Incidentally, I've been using PayPal for the past 9+ years or so with no problems whatsoever.

CommandCenter2 said:   Putting "buy" in your search does/did two things. One, it used to frequently trigger the Google Shopping subview. Two, it helps weed out alot of stupid jibber jabber like press releases, blogs, and forums. Putting phrases in quotes and using -Z flags doesn't always work either. Just because you can't replicate it (with no context to go off of) right now doesn't mean I don't sometimes have to click through 10 pages of the same repeated eBay listing(s).

I only really bring it up because no having Paypal prevents you from doing business over eBay and eBay is still a force in the small sales game. The situation has improved a little as Amazon's user listings have started to get more traffic though.

Try adding -site:eBay.com to your search. That might work better.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014