• filter:
  • 124252627 28
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I am so retarded, i'm still not getting this at all. When I decided to start doing ibonds 3 years ago to keep things simple, which is best for me, I figured I would just buy my max near the end of every January. So for the next 6 months am I getting the rates below that my account show or something different?
  Confirm # Issue Date Interest Rate Status Amount Current Value
  IAAAD 01-01-2014 1.38%   $10,000.00 $10,012.00
  IAAAC 01-01-2013 1.18%   $10,000.00 $10,156.00
  IAAAA 01-01-2012 1.18%   $10,000.00 $10,428.00
Totals: $30,000.00 $30,596.00

rated:
I'm so glad I bought in April!

rated:
RS4Rings said:   I am so retarded, i'm still not getting this at all. When I decided to start doing ibonds 3 years ago to keep things simple, which is best for me, I figured I would just buy my max near the end of every January. So for the next 6 months am I getting the rates below that my account show or something different?

Confirm # Issue Date Interest Rate Status Amount Current Value
  IAAAD 01-01-2014 1.38%   $10,000.00 $10,012.00
  IAAAC 01-01-2013 1.18%   $10,000.00 $10,156.00
  IAAAA 01-01-2012 1.18%   $10,000.00 $10,428.00
Totals: $30,000.00 $30,596.00

Your Current Value shows value as of May1 minus 3 months interest penaties for early redemption. As soon as you cross 5 years- penalty will not be deducted anymore.
 Use this website to see value without penalties and you can check wich rates you are getting for which month.
http://eyebonds.info/ibonds/home10000.html 

rated:
MoneyOCD said:   

Your Current Value shows value as of May1 minus 3 months interest penaties for early redemption. As soon as you cross 5 years- penalty will not be deducted anymore.
 Use this website to see value without penalties

The part about not getting interest for the first 3 months is about the only thing i get, I'm trying to figure out what my rate for each bond will be for the next 6 month? tia

rated:
Ok that chart seems to solve what I'm looking for, i think. So for example the bond i bought Jan 2014 will pay 1.38% till end of July and then 2.04%? While the first one i bought Jan 2012 is paying 1.18% till end of July then change to 1.84%?

rated:
RS4Rings said:   Ok that chart seems to solve what I'm looking for, i think. So for example the bond i bought Jan 2014 will pay 1.38% till end of July and then 2.04%? While the first one i bought Jan 2012 is paying 1.18% till end of July then change to 1.84%?

Yes, except your rate is Jan 1 to June 30, then changes July 1 to end of year.

rated:
garyreno said:   So if I bought yesterday I received 0.10% higher than today?
  No. If you bought yesterday, it would have been 1.38% for the next 6 month. In October, however, it will have been 0.2% extra for the subsequent 6 months and beyond.

rated:
MoneyOCD said:   http://eyebonds.info/ibonds/home10000.html 
  Thanks so much for this chart, now don't need to know the hows and whys and can just see what each one is paying. 

rated:
mysteryAgain said:   
garyreno said:   So if I bought yesterday I received 0.10% higher than today?
  No. If you bought yesterday, it would have been 1.38% for the next 6 month. In October, however, it will have been 0.2% extra for the subsequent 6 months and beyond.

Isnt what he means is he will get  2.04% when it resets next time by buying in April where as if he bought in May  would only be 1.94%?

rated:
RS4Rings said:   
MoneyOCD said:   

The part about not getting interest for the first 3 months is about the only thing i get, I'm trying to figure out what my rate for each bond will be for the next 6 month? tia

You do not even get that. The interest penalty is levied against the last three months.

rated:
stormdog123 said:   
RS4Rings said:   
MoneyOCD said:   

You do not even get that. The interest penalty is levied against the last three months.

Then how come they dont show interest till after the 3rd month?

rated:
RS4Rings said:   
stormdog123 said:   
RS4Rings said:   
MoneyOCD said:   

Then how come they dont show interest till after the 3rd month?

because that happens to be the last 3 months at that time duh.

rated:
MoneyOCD said:
 Use this website to see value without penalties and you can check wich rates you are getting for which month.

Thanks for this link, very useful.

rated:
- Ibonds don't show interest until you've owned them for 3 months because there is a penalty (equal to 3 month's interest) for cashing them out before 5 years from purchase. Until you hit the 5 year mark, the most recent 3 months of interest will not be shown... So, when you're at 6 months, you'll see the interest accumulated in months 1, 2, and 3... not 4, 5, and 6. During your first 3 months, there's not enough interest to see anything (b/c the "last 3 months" is ALL the interest). When you hit 5 years, you should see a nice boost in the interest, b/c you'll suddenly start seeing the most recent 3 months added in.

- What rate you're currently getting: The rate that you're getting changes every six months. If you buy in January, you get the current rate (that was set in the previous 11/1 announcement) for Jan, Feb, March, April, May, and June. In May, the new rate is announced. Your bonds will get that rate... but not until July. You always get 6 months of each rate (except at the end, b/c you can cash out before those six months are done) - do you'd get the May rate starting in July... going through December.

- I bonds are always backdated to the first of the month that you bought them. If you bought on 4/27, they're dated (and you get interest) from 4/1.

- Wasn't asked, but you get the fixed rate that is in effect when you buy forever added to your bonds. So, if you buy now, and the fixed rate is 0.10% - and the inflation-indexed rate in November is set to 0.25% for 6 months (which is really 0.50% for an annual rate) - you'd be getting 0.50% + 0.10% (fixed rate for life of bond) = 0.60% for those six months.

Hope that helps!

rated:
Thanks, think I' m finally getting it. I did know buying near end of month better and I'm guessing buying this years before May was better since I will always have .20% fixed on it instead of .10% if I bought today or later

rated:
Side note: my crystal ball says that for 2015

401k contribution limit will increase to $18,000
401k catch up limit will increase to $6,000
HCE will increase to $120,000

IRA limits will stay the same - $5,500 and $1,000 for catch up.

Will see....

rated:
April CPI-U is posted = 237.072
Base line for next change (March) = 236.293
Total inflation for Apr = 0.33%

We have FIVE more months to go before new I-bonds inflation component rate will be set

rated:
CPI-U monthly changes - color coded based on overall average.
You can see clear pattern of seasonality.
ETA: please excuse my OCD

rated:
MoneyOCD said:   ETA: please excuse my OCD

I, for one, am grateful for your OCD.  No need to apologize for being helpful!  Thanks!

rated:
Pics like that are FW p*rn...

rated:
Is theren any study or theory on why there is the seasonality? My only thought is that bonuses and pay increases happen toward the beginning of the year.

rated:
I would think it relates to agricultural seasonality - prices go down in fall and peak in spring

rated:
May CPI-U is posted = 237.900
Total inflation for Apr+May = 0.68%

We have FOUR more months to go before new I-bonds inflation component rate will be set

rated:
June CPI-U is posted = 238.343
Total inflation for Apr+May+Jun = 0.87%

We have THREE more months to go before new I-bonds inflation component rate will be set

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014