• filter:
  • 125262728 29
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
vetiver said:   Is there anyone that opened an l bond in April 2008 that still has it open? If I don't need the money right away but would like to use some of it in the next few months  when is the next interest payout and will I need to transfer it all out or can I just transfer say half of it back into my bank account?
  Interest is paid on the first of the month. You can't do a partial sale - that's why it's best to split your purchase into multiple bonds.

rated:
HKnight said:   
vetiver said:   Is there anyone that opened an l bond in April 2008 that still has it open? If I don't need the money right away but would like to use some of it in the next few months  when is the next interest payout and will I need to transfer it all out or can I just transfer say half of it back into my bank account?
  Interest is paid on the first of the month. You can't do a partial sale - that's why it's best to split your purchase into multiple bonds.

If you bought the bond on treasurydirect you can do a partial sale.  You just need to leave a minimum of $25 in each bond and the minimum withdrawal is $25. For a paper bond, it is all or none.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res... much can I redeem at one time?
Electronic bonds in your TreasuryDirect account No limit.  However, each redemption must be in a minimum amount of $25 redemption value, with additional one-cent increments above that amount, in any one transaction.  Redemptions will be comprised of principal and proportionate interest.

rated:
Hi. I am starting to buy I-bonds in $500 chunks each month as part of my emergency fund. I've read that a trick exists when buying I-bonds that if you buy them at the end of the month, you get the interest for that entire month. So I set up recurring purchases on the last business day of the month for the next 6 months or so. If I go into TreasuryDirect and look at the Pending Transactions, for example, the first one has an Issue Date of '09-30-2014' (a Tuesday).

So my question is, since the issue date is in September, I'll get the full month of September's interest, right? Is there any risk of the transaction not pulling the money from my credit union in time and having the effective date some time in early October? Or even if the transaction takes a few days, is the scheduled issue date of '09-30-2014' used? Has anyone had any experience with this?

rated:
cbodendein said:   Hi. I am starting to buy I-bonds in $500 chunks each month as part of my emergency fund. I've read that a trick exists when buying I-bonds that if you buy them at the end of the month, you get the interest for that entire month. So I set up recurring purchases on the last business day of the month for the next 6 months or so. If I go into TreasuryDirect and look at the Pending Transactions, for example, the first one has an Issue Date of '09-30-2014' (a Tuesday).

So my question is, since the issue date is in September, I'll get the full month of September's interest, right? Is there any risk of the transaction not pulling the money from my credit union in time and having the effective date some time in early October? Or even if the transaction takes a few days, is the scheduled issue date of '09-30-2014' used? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Why risk it? Upside you saved 2-3 days of interest in whatever account you were holding the $500. Downside is you miss a whole month on the I-bonds. I'd move the date ahead a little just to be safe.

rated:
You can convert a paper bond into electronic and then redeem a partial amount as well.

rated:
Guess I've been splitting my contributions for nothing. Thanks for the info.

rated:
When are this I series Bonds cashable if no longer interested in them.

Olivia

rated:
Bonds cannot be cashed earlier than 1 year after issuance. You lose three months interest if cashed in less than five years after issuance.

rated:
Is there any way to tell on TreasuryDirect what the fixed rate of a particular i bond? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site.

rated:
cbodendein said:   Is there any way to tell on TreasuryDirect what the fixed rate of a particular i bond? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site.
  Can find here http://eyebonds.info/ibonds/home10000.html

rated:
anyone know the new ibond inflation yet? did sept get released yet? i think inflation may be low since gas prices have falling like a rock

rated:
RagingBull said:   anyone know the new ibond inflation yet? did sept get released yet? i think inflation may be low since gas prices have falling like a rock
  The September CPI-U will be released on 10/22.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014