NEW American Express Blue Cash Cards

Archived From: Finance
  • 123 4 531
  • Page
  • Text Only
user5387 said:   I would like to revisit the gift card issue, and work through an example.

I currently have around $500 of monthly insurance / utility bills that I can pay with Visa but not AMEX.

Suppose that I take my Blue Cash Preferred to the supermarket, buy a $500 Visa gift card, and pay the bills.

The fee would be around $5, and I would receive around $30 Cash Back, for a net cost of $475, or around 5% savings.

This approach could of course be used for any sort of purchase.

The question I have is whether AMEX or the supermarket care about this. I don't think AMEX can directly tell what you're buying at the supermarket, but they might have ways of guessing. If they knew, would they care? If so, why?

Is there any fundamental difference between buying gift cards and actual groceries, given that you cannot get cash out of a gift card except by fairly torturous means?

Another way of coming at the question is to ask where AMEX gets the money for the 6% Cash Back. Part of it comes from merchant fees, and part from the annual fee. But beyond this, is there some distinction between real goods (groceries) and virtual goods (gift cards)?

Guess that they feel gas price will rise faster than food/supermarket product prices. Assuming only a small minority of folks think like FWF, they could be shifting their CashBack liability from gas (rising cost) to supermarkets. It's not a bad assumption that people can only buy so much from a supermarket a year, capping the supermarket expense.

user5387 said:   I would like to revisit the gift card issue, and work through an example.

I currently have around $500 of monthly insurance / utility bills that I can pay with Visa but not AMEX.

Suppose that I take my Blue Cash Preferred to the supermarket, buy a $500 Visa gift card, and pay the bills.

The fee would be around $5, and I would receive around $30 Cash Back, for a net cost of $475, or around 5% savings.

This approach could of course be used for any sort of purchase.

The question I have is whether AMEX or the supermarket care about this. I don't think AMEX can directly tell what you're buying at the supermarket, but they might have ways of guessing. If they knew, would they care? If so, why?

Is there any fundamental difference between buying gift cards and actual groceries, given that you cannot get cash out of a gift card except by fairly torturous means?

Another way of coming at the question is to ask where AMEX gets the money for the 6% Cash Back. Part of it comes from merchant fees, and part from the annual fee. But beyond this, is there some distinction between real goods (groceries) and virtual goods (gift cards)?

When I googled the new blue cash preferred the first day it came out, I could not find anything other that old discussions in different boards about the blue cash with 6500 minimum before the good rewards. On one of those discussions on Flyertalk on 2009, someone posted a change in terms for the card, and it mentioned that "Any single transaction in excess of $400 at an automobile gasoline station will not qualify as an Everyday Purchase". So there is always the possibility that they can "throttle" spending with future limitations.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewar...

Approved for blue cash preferred card, need to remember to replace with blue cash card before one year to avoid annual fee.

Um, ok, I just applied for this card and was not instantly approved.

Said they'll get back to me within 14 days. What are my chances?

Bannanana said:   Um, ok, I just applied for this card and was not instantly approved.

Said they'll get back to me within 14 days. What are my chances?

You can't expect anyone to be able to answer (or reasonable guess) this without knowing anything about your credit profile.

I just received my Blue Cash Everyday card. I was surprised to see that it looked pretty much exactly like my previous Blue Cash card, with the word "Everyday" not appearing on the front at all and appearing fairly subtly on the back.

When I logged in to activate my card, I noticed that you can get a record of your spending by category. I was surprised, though, to see that "supermarkets" is not actually a category. It looks like "groceries" is the closest equivalent, but I'd note that they're not exactly the same thing. Since the card is defined as offering 3% Cash Back on "supermarkets," I'm a little surprised by this. I didn't check the other categories--since I plan to use my ex-Schwab card for everything except supermarkets, I didn't think to look.

AMEX gave me a 15k line on this. Pretty generous considering I have a 3k line on my SPG card (It was 7k slashed to 1.5k then increased to 3k using the online CLI button).

I noticed that I have a link to upgrade my blue cash to the preferred card, but an "apply now" link instead for the everyday card.

I typically spend around the 12-13k threshold on my blue cash, but if upgrading won't get rid of the $75 fee for the first year (via the $100 credit), then I don't see the benefit to going with it over the everyday card.

I don't want to apply for another though, and would rather 'downgrade' to the everyday...

thoughts?

EDIT: 780 score and 1% utilization across my credit profile...18k current limit on the blue cash (and I shop at WalMart CONSTANTLY with it) and PIF every month.

Yeah they're being sneaky - sort of like having only the large and extra large options shown on menus. I just called and asked for the everyday version. It only takes 4-5 minutes.

Mallard454 said:   Yeah they're being sneaky - sort of like having only the large and extra large options shown on menus. I just called and asked for the everyday version. It only takes 4-5 minutes.

But did you convert or apply for a new one?

I have the old blue (points) card and i still don't have the option of converting to the everyday card as of yet...some Csrs claim the option will be avilable on May 6th though others no nothing about this...
I know that those with old blue cash are being allowed to immediately convert to either everyday or preferred...Those with old blue cash can STAY with it or move over if the want to...

craig10x said:   I have the old blue (points) card and i still don't have the option of converting to the everyday card as of yet...some Csrs claim the option will be avilable on May 6th though others no nothing about this...
I know that those with old blue cash are being allowed to immediately convert to either everyday or preferred...Those with old blue cash can STAY with it or move over if the want to...

I had a regular Blue (non-Cash) card as well. I called the number on the back of my card and converted to a Blue Cash Everyday card last Wednesday night. It took maybe 10 minutes. I happened to call in the middle of the night and the CSR put me on hold for a couple minutes to read up on the new card. She made the conversion effective as of Friday and it shows up online now as the Everyday card. It shows up with the same number and credit limit.

Thanks for the input, mespin...though i was curious....have you had the standard blue (points version) for a long time? I wonder if it is because i have only had it a few months...though according to a supervisor i spoke to there, one does not have to wait 13 months to make a conversion if it's from a no annual fee to a no annual fee card...yet, the computer isn't offering the option for me to convert to Everyday only to the older Blue Cash Rebate...weird huh?

craig10x said:   Thanks for the input, mespin...though i was curious....have you had the standard blue (points version) for a long time?
Yes, my regular Blue card had been sock drawered for maybe 4 years before I converted it.

mrkk said:   Compare yourself http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/86181_bluecashcomparison.xlsx

Confirmed, I'm best sticking with the Blue Cash I've been using.

I was thinking of getting this card mainly for the sole purpose of being able to try and get in on AMEX's daily wish deals. Is that worth me having to keep up with another card?

Anyone still can see a referral link ?
It was there till yesterday, but broken.

I asked CS about it, and apparently they had "fixed" it by removing it.
Or is it somewhere else now?

Has anybody successfully earned 5-6% CashBack depending on your card for gas purchases at Kroger supermarkets? My current charges show up with the grocery store name.

dkman said:   Looks like you get $100 to sign up for new card for PreferredIs this $100 mentioned once you start the application, or before?

Alcibiades said:   dkman said:   Looks like you get $100 to sign up for new card for PreferredIs this $100 mentioned once you start the application, or before?

Keep in mind...the $100 bonus on the card is only for NEW AMEX customers....Not those who have AMEX cards and are applying for it as an additional card...

instant denial for having recently applied and got the Delta AMEX card, will try calling them to do the switch to AMEX blue if possible.

How long ago did you apply for the Delta card?

If someone is over their 6500$ limit in Old Blue Cash Card, won't it make sense to continue using it until the card's 1 year usage rule time expires.

coolgoose1313 said:   If someone is over their 6500$ limit in Old Blue Cash Card, won't it make sense to continue using it until the card's 1 year usage rule time expires.

Absolutely. Since I structure some big ticket items to be purchased yearly just after my anniversary date, I have NO plans to give up my old Blue Cash. Where else can you get 5% on groceries, supermarkets,and drugstores aside from the 5% AARP promo?????

Hey guys, hope I'm not asking a question that has already been asked. But do you know if existing points from an old blue rewards point card can be retained or transfered to the new blue cash everyday card if you upgraded? Or will they be lost? Thanks!

Got the standard "we'll get back to you", 2 minutes later via the link said I was approved.

Check Application Status

Received the $100 bonus today.

Hot! 6% on the preferred for grocery stores and $100 bonus cancels out the $75 annual fee. I'm going to start getting my friends to sign up for these like they are going out of style for another $75 in my pocket.

Can anyone find a list of what counts for grocery/drug/department stores. Or perhaps those who have the card can comment.

Interested specifically in Target and Wal-Mart. Do these count as Grocery Stores or Department Stores?

DelCheapo said:   Can anyone find a list of what counts for grocery/drug/department stores. Or perhaps those who have the card can comment.

Interested specifically in Target and Wal-Mart. Do these count as Grocery Stores or Department Stores?

Don't know about Target but Wal_Mart is classified as a Discount store.

wajj said:   DelCheapo said:   Can anyone find a list of what counts for grocery/drug/department stores. Or perhaps those who have the card can comment.

Don't know about Target but Wal_Mart is classified as a Discount store.

In past experience Target usually counts as a discount store also.

Just to clarify, the Cash Back for both cards is for supermarkets only, not drug/convenience stores.

If anyone that applied for the Delta AMEX card for the 40-50k miles within the last 4-5 months also applied for this card please post your results. TIA

wajj said:   hejustlaughs said:   VagrTiger said:   Argyll said:   

It all depends on what you spend your money on and what other cards you use.

I use FKFCU for gas, will use the Blue Cash Preferred for groceries and maybe the odd trip I make to a department store, and Schwab 2% for everything else. I rarely go to drugstores so I don't lose anything there.

My annual grocery expenditures are under $6500 so I never make the current Blue Cash threshold unless I buy coins or some such and for that I normally use the Schwab card (or Chase AARP for now).

When I worked out the math for my spending patterns and card usage patterns, I'll get roughly $150 to $250 more Cash Back (after the annual fee) with the Blue Cash Preferred than I would without it.

So, its not just how much you spend but what you spend it on and what other cards are in your arsenal.

You're not doing it right. The $6,500 threshold is on your total purchases, not your grocery spend alone..

Anyone have experience applying for this card while already having the Fidelity 2% rewards card?

fitallvb said:   Anyone have experience applying for this card while already having the Fidelity 2% rewards card?Shouldn't be an issue since the Fidelity card isn't issued by AMEX, it just run charges on their network.

Appears you cannot even apply for the blue cash preferred card anymore... only can "upgrade" if you have a current blue cash card.

fitallvb said:   Appears you cannot even apply for the blue cash preferred card anymore... only can "upgrade" if you have a current blue cash card.

It's because you've already logged in online and they put a cookie on your machine, so now all you see is "upgrade". Clear you cache + cookies then go back into AmericanExpress.com and click "cards -> view all personal cards" and it should be back to "apply".

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 123 4 531
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014