NEW American Express Blue Cash Cards

Archived From: Finance
  • 14 5 67831
  • Page
  • Text Only
Last night I was approved for a Blue Sky mail offer. I decided to do the Blue Cash Everyday application right after, but it was pending. I called and spoke with someone who saw my Blue Sky approval and suggested that because I just applied for that card, I probably wouldn't get the Blue Cash. So, he was able to cancel the application before they do a hard pull. Better to be safe.

I did get approved for a couple other cards last night (Fidelity 2% AMEX, Citi Forward), so it's not a total loss, I suppose.

Got my card today and wanted to start referring friends to what I think is a smoking hot deal but on the referral page it says I'm not eligible, even though the application page still has the $75 bonus. CSRs were clueless.

http://bit.ly/iiJNiU has anyone used AMEX's 90 day return protection?

so you just return the stuff to AMEX and they give the money back?

what do they do with my stuff?

mrkk said:   http://bit.ly/iiJNiU has anyone used AMEX's 90 day return protection?

Saw that today on AMEX site and wondered the same thing. Also wondering if they make me ship them my stuff, do they give me a prepaid label? I know FW members have used this before, but not sure the process.

Same question as above

I can answer this from personal experience.

Dropped my new fancy andriod phone and shattered the top glass. Called AMEX and filed a caim. Claim was approved in 30 days and the amount charged to the card (blue cash) was refunded.
Asked if I should send them the broken phone.... they said I can keep it and do whatever I want with it.

The top glass replacement is pretty straightforward, so I eBay'd the phone as-is

Keep in mind that this benefit is a secondary coverage.

Edit: This is the purchase protection benefit. I would assume that the return protection is even simpler as it covers $300 max.

DelCheapo said:   mrkk said:   http://bit.ly/iiJNiU has anyone used AMEX's 90 day return protection?

Saw that today on AMEX site and wondered the same thing. Also wondering if they make me ship them my stuff, do they give me a prepaid label? I know FW members have used this before, but not sure the process.

I just got the Blue Cash Preferred Card last week. I noticed that when I go online to view my statement, AMEX is categorizing purchases from Amazon.com as:
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Department Stores

If the purchase is made on Amazon but via a 3rd party, or if it's Sold by XYZ and "fulfilled" by Amazon, then it goes under category: Internet Purchase. But if it's sold/shipped directly by Amazon, it's saying Department Store.

Soooo, I wonder if that means these Amazon.com purchases will qualify for 3% Cash Back for the Blue Cash Preferred card? I can't tell yet since this is my first month earning benefits on that card and I don't have an actual "Statement" yet, just "Recent Activity". I should know when my statement date closes in 2 weeks.

Anyone have a similar experience?

That will be awesome if I can get 3% CB on all my Amazon purchases (since most products I buy are sold by Amazon direct)...

I bought a blu-ray player through Amazon a while ago and it turned out it had some incompatibility issues with my Receiver. I didn't notice the issues until I had it just over a month which put it past Amazon's 30 day return policy so I submitted a return claim through my AMEX. It took about 2 weeks to get it approved then I had to pay to ship it to them, but they gave me a full refund which was great!

stib said:   I can answer this from personal experience.

Dropped my new fancy andriod phone and shattered the top glass. Called AMEX and filed a caim. Claim was approved in 30 days and the amount charged to the card (blue cash) was refunded.
Asked if I should send them the broken phone.... they said I can keep it and do whatever I want with it.

The top glass replacement is pretty straightforward, so I eBay'd the phone as-is

Keep in mind that this benefit is a secondary coverage.

Edit: This is the purchase protection benefit. I would assume that the return protection is even simpler as it covers $300 max.

DelCheapo said:   mrkk said:   http://bit.ly/iiJNiU has anyone used AMEX's 90 day return protection?

DelCheapo said:   I just got the Blue Cash Preferred Card last week. I noticed that when I go online to view my statement, AMEX is categorizing purchases from Amazon.com as:
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Department Stores

If the purchase is made on Amazon but via a 3rd party, or if it's Sold by XYZ and "fulfilled" by Amazon, then it goes under category: Internet Purchase. But if it's sold/shipped directly by Amazon, it's saying Department Store.

Soooo, I wonder if that means these Amazon.com purchases will qualify for 3% Cash Back for the Blue Cash Preferred card? I can't tell yet since this is my first month earning benefits on that card and I don't have an actual "Statement" yet, just "Recent Activity". I should know when my statement date closes in 2 weeks.

Anyone have a similar experience?

That will be awesome if I can get 3% CB on all my Amazon purchases (since most products I buy are sold by Amazon direct)...

Why don't you buy Amazon.com gift cards from a Grocery store to get a 6% discount that way, better than 3%.

heyeaglefn said:   
Why don't you buy Amazon.com gift cards from a Grocery store to get a 6% discount that way, better than 3%.

Yup, doing that too. But on a really big purchase I would probably want to use my CC instead to have better return and damage protection.

So, dumb question... If I call AMEX and ask them to convert my Blue Cash card to Blue Cash Preferred, will I still be eligible for the $100 if I spend $500 in 2 months?

hpmax said:   So, dumb question... If I call AMEX and ask them to convert my Blue Cash card to Blue Cash Preferred, will I still be eligible for the $100 if I spend $500 in 2 months?

Nope...you won't get it if you upgrade (convert)....

craig10x said:   hpmax said:   So, dumb question... If I call AMEX and ask them to convert my Blue Cash card to Blue Cash Preferred, will I still be eligible for the $100 if I spend $500 in 2 months?

Nope...you won't get it if you upgrade (convert)....

Hmmmm I converted from SPG AMEX to blue cash preferred. I'm probably not eligible either but that's the main reason I got it to try it for a year without a fee and calculate if it's worth it. I'll just call in 2 months and ask where my 100 bux is.

So do you guys think buying approximately $1500 to $2000 worth of visa pre paid cards a month from supermarkets will raise a red flag for them?

double post

How long does it take for rewards to be redeemable? My statement ended on May 25th and I don't see anything on the Rewards Summary page yet.

hejustlaughs said:   How long does it take for rewards to be redeemable? My statement ended on May 25th and I don't see anything on the Rewards Summary page yet.
Takes a month..you will see your rewards for the month you just ended when your NEXT statement comes out...it will always be 1 month behind in showing up on AMEX online...

I have a Blue Cash and a Starwood I converted to a regular Blue right before this offer started. On the online upgrade it says that I don't have any eligible cards. I was about to phone it, but it seemed weird. Anybody else run into this?

just got approved for this, had to jump a few hoops though like cancelling Delta card i opened in march (the one that had 50k Delta miles). online apps were "cancelled" so had to call, have csr cancel Delta card, have another csr take online app and took a week to get approved. to those who have had this for a while can you confirm 6% Cash Back on gift cards at supermarket (pm me if you dont want to post here). luckily i have a safeway here that i get gas at,so potential 6% for gas too.

mattun said:   I have a Blue Cash and a Starwood I converted to a regular Blue right before this offer started. On the online upgrade it says that I don't have any eligible cards. I was about to phone it, but it seemed weird. Anybody else run into this?

Is your card less then 13 months old? Because although they just added on the ability to convert even fairly new cards to Blue Cash Everyday (i just did that with my 3 month old Blue Cash Rebate)...I still would not be able to upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred because my card is not at least 13 months old...They allow changing to same type of card (no annual fee to no annual fee for example) but not to go from no annual fee to fee card (unless your card is over 13 months old)...so if that is the case, that is likely the reason...

That makes sense. While a fairly old card, I just converted it like a month ago.

I bought about $4k worth of gift cards in May, and already up to $3k in june. No comment so far from AMEX. Just talked to friendly Indian CSR, explained, I'm going to disneyland, any issue with me buying $4k in gift card at grocery store to fund hotel, food and entrance for the family. He just quoted me back the 'grocery store' purchase requirement.

We'll see how our relationship progresses.

mrkk said:   Compare yourself http://www.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/86181_bluecashcomparison.xlsx

This is why I frequent FWF... as a spreadsheet aficionado let me just say: good job!

Where are you guys finding grocery stores that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card purchase? A&P and RiteAid will only take cash or debit, and the local ShopRite doesn't even stock Visa/AMEX gift cards with a value greater than $100. So far, I've only been able to get this done at CVS, which is fine, but I'd kind of like to mix things up a little. And if I ever upgrade my old Blue Cash to Preferred, I'll lose the Drugstore 5%. So unless I find a grocery store that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card, the new Everyday/Preferred cards would be useless to me.

tobyedison said:   I bought about $4k worth of gift cards in May, and already up to $3k in june. No comment so far from AMEX. Just talked to friendly Indian CSR, explained, I'm going to disneyland, any issue with me buying $4k in gift card at grocery store to fund hotel, food and entrance for the family. He just quoted me back the 'grocery store' purchase requirement.

We'll see how our relationship progresses.
DO NOT CALL! How many times do we have to repeat this? With enough calls like this you just increase the likelihood of AA.

Why would you need to call to get T&C read back to you?
It works till it works, why would you want to spell to CS you intentions ?

Grrrr...

DTASFAB said:   Where are you guys finding grocery stores that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card purchase? A&P and RiteAid will only take cash or debit, and the local ShopRite doesn't even stock Visa/AMEX gift cards with a value greater than $100. So far, I've only been able to get this done at CVS, which is fine, but I'd kind of like to mix things up a little. And if I ever upgrade my old Blue Cash to Preferred, I'll lose the Drugstore 5%. So unless I find a grocery store that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card, the new Everyday/Preferred cards would be useless to me.

wo why would you EVER upgrade(downgrade rather)?

mrkk said:   DTASFAB said:   Where are you guys finding grocery stores that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card purchase? A&P and RiteAid will only take cash or debit, and the local ShopRite doesn't even stock Visa/AMEX gift cards with a value greater than $100. So far, I've only been able to get this done at CVS, which is fine, but I'd kind of like to mix things up a little. And if I ever upgrade my old Blue Cash to Preferred, I'll lose the Drugstore 5%. So unless I find a grocery store that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card, the new Everyday/Preferred cards would be useless to me.

Pretty simple math... IF I ever find a grocery store that accepts credit cards for $500 VanillaVisa purchases, I'd get 6% back instead of 5% back, and there's no $6500 tier to reach.

Downside of this, like I said, is that drugstores would no longer be an option.

The only GC my stores around here sell are for fast food joints like friday's and chilli's (blah!)

I was always rocking the standard Blue card and spend about $28K in the last 7 months because we just bought a house. I'm kicking myself for assuming $1/1point on AMEX was the best I could do. Doing the math I missed out on hundreds more dollars because I didn't have the Blue Cash. I've been using Blue Cash now for a month... can't wait to see the difference.

DTASFAB said:   mrkk said:   DTASFAB said:   Where are you guys finding grocery stores that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card purchase? A&P and RiteAid will only take cash or debit, and the local ShopRite doesn't even stock Visa/AMEX gift cards with a value greater than $100. So far, I've only been able to get this done at CVS, which is fine, but I'd kind of like to mix things up a little. And if I ever upgrade my old Blue Cash to Preferred, I'll lose the Drugstore 5%. So unless I find a grocery store that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card, the new Everyday/Preferred cards would be useless to me.

Pretty simple math... IF I ever find a grocery store that accepts credit cards for $500 VanillaVisa purchases, I'd get 6% back instead of 5% back, and there's no $6500 tier to reach.

Downside of this, like I said, is that drugstores would no longer be an option.

Pharmacies/Drugstores generally carry a lot more selection of certain very lucrative GCs.

I checked my local grocery store they highest visa card they have is $100, which would make buying it with blue cash almost pointless due to the $3.95 activation fee.

Did AMEX waive the $75 annual fee on the Blue Cash Preferred for you when you converted? The app didn't mention it being fee-free the first year, IIRC.

DelCheapo said:   Hmmmm I converted from SPG AMEX to blue cash preferred. I'm probably not eligible either but that's the main reason I got it to try it for a year without a fee and calculate if it's worth it. I'll just call in 2 months and ask where my 100 bux is.

wesleman said:   Did AMEX waive the $75 annual fee on the Blue Cash Preferred for you when you converted? The app didn't mention it being fee-free the first year, IIRC.

DelCheapo said:   Hmmmm I converted from SPG AMEX to blue cash preferred. I'm probably not eligible either but that's the main reason I got it to try it for a year without a fee and calculate if it's worth it. I'll just call in 2 months and ask where my 100 bux is.

No they didn't waive the fee... What I meant was that the reason I converted was that I thought I would get the $100 signup bonus and that would effectively eliminate the $75 fee for the first year, then I would decide if it was worth paying the $75 after the year was over.

I believe the $100 bonus only applies to new AMEX accounts not those who convert their current cards....so if you converted, you would not get the bonus...

Hi guys, I checked my AMEX online today. My first statement of AMEX Blue Cash Prefered card is posted online. However, when I talk a look the PDF file, there is no words regarding the reward point.

I also check the reward summary online. It says "nothing to check yet?". Maybe it is because today it is Sunday. But I am still a little bit worrying about the fact there is no any word regarding reward on the statement. It is strange to me since it is different from my Chase Reward Card or my other AMEX reward card.

So I would like to ask anyone, who also receives your Blue Cash Statement if you have seen any words regarding reward on your first statement or not? Thank you very much.

dj100 said:   Hi guys, I checked my AMEX online today. My first statement of AMEX Blue Cash Prefered card is posted online. However, when I talk a look the PDF file, there is no words regarding the reward point.

I also check the reward summary online. It says "nothing to check yet?". Maybe it is because today it is Sunday. But I am still a little bit worrying about the fact there is no any word regarding reward on the statement. It is strange to me since it is different from my Chase Reward Card or my other AMEX reward card.

So I would like to ask anyone, who also receives your Blue Cash Statement if you have seen any words regarding reward on your first statement or not? Thank you very much.

I asked the same question. Read the past couple of posts.

It's always one month behind.

DTASFAB said:   Where are you guys finding grocery stores that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card purchase? A&P and RiteAid will only take cash or debit, and the local ShopRite doesn't even stock Visa/AMEX gift cards with a value greater than $100. So far, I've only been able to get this done at CVS, which is fine, but I'd kind of like to mix things up a little. And if I ever upgrade my old Blue Cash to Preferred, I'll lose the Drugstore 5%. So unless I find a grocery store that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card, the new Everyday/Preferred cards would be useless to me.

I went to Vons to try to purchase a $500 Visa Gift Card with credit and the cashier said only $100 and under I can purchase with credit. I went to Albertsons and was able to purchase a $500 Gift Card with a Credit Card.

Bighairyman said:   DTASFAB said:   Where are you guys finding grocery stores that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card purchase? A&P and RiteAid will only take cash or debit, and the local ShopRite doesn't even stock Visa/AMEX gift cards with a value greater than $100. So far, I've only been able to get this done at CVS, which is fine, but I'd kind of like to mix things up a little. And if I ever upgrade my old Blue Cash to Preferred, I'll lose the Drugstore 5%. So unless I find a grocery store that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card, the new Everyday/Preferred cards would be useless to me.

I went to Vons to try to purchase a $500 Visa Gift Card with credit and the cashier said only $100 and under I can purchase with credit. I went to Albertsons and was able to purchase a $500 Gift Card with a Credit Card.

Where was this (Vons)?

Bighairyman said:   DTASFAB said:   Where are you guys finding grocery stores that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card purchase? A&P and RiteAid will only take cash or debit, and the local ShopRite doesn't even stock Visa/AMEX gift cards with a value greater than $100. So far, I've only been able to get this done at CVS, which is fine, but I'd kind of like to mix things up a little. And if I ever upgrade my old Blue Cash to Preferred, I'll lose the Drugstore 5%. So unless I find a grocery store that will take a credit card for a $500 gift card, the new Everyday/Preferred cards would be useless to me.

Do we really need specific discussions of stores or chains? Everyone, with enough trial and error, will be able to find exactly the store or cashier who can make the magic happen. We shouldn't kill this.

Don't we already have a thread like this? Or maybe it was just associated with the now defunct Chase Freedom Card, the version that gives you a $250 check when redeeming $200.

FWIW, Vons is in SoCal, part of the safeway supermarket chain.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 14 5 67831
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014