NEW American Express Blue Cash Cards

Archived From: Finance
  • 12 3 4531
  • Page
  • Text Only
Thanks OP. Easy to convert. This card is much better for me.

tiktiki said:   Datapoint: Applied for Blue Cash Preferred card last night and got approved instantly. 758 credit score, 70k HHI, one other AMEX card (old blue cash). I opted for a new card for the $100 bonus.

Did a quick calculation: Even after paying the annual fee (which I NEVER did before), I will end up with around $250 more in CashBack than Fidelity/ex-Schawb card.

Are you saying you were offered the $100 bonus only if you take a new card? In other words, converting Blue Cash to Preferred does not qualify for $100 bonus?

That I don't know for sure. But usually you don't get the sign up bonuses if you convert from an existing card. So I didn't want to risk it. I plan to merge the two accounts at a later point(if they let me, that is).

Here's some more info on the cards along with a couple reviews:

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/2011/amex-unveils-rewards-cards-b...

mespin said:   leedsutd67 said:   Take another look at terms and conditions 3pts not 3%

3 points for every full £1 you spend in major Supermarkets up to £500 per month1

2 points for every full £1 you spend in leading Department Stores

1 point for virtually every full £1 you spend everywhere else

Earn points which you can redeem for handy gift vouchers 5,000 points = £25 gift voucher

Earn up to 18,000 bonus points (that’s £90 worth of gift vouchers) when you spend £500 each month for your first 3 months2

Introductory Offer: 0% on all new purchases for six months3

Earn points even faster, with Supplementary Cards at no additional cost for family and friends

24-hour customer service

No annual fee

Huh? That looks like a completely different card. I do not believe the card we are discussing is available in the UK. From a quick search, it looks like you copied the terms of the Express Rewards Credit Card available in the UK.

For a period of time last night the link mistakenly went to a UK site.

jtclin said:   Good afternoon OOOOOO,

I received your email regarding your request to convert your current Blue Cash Card to a Blue Cash Everyday Card and I will be delighted to assist you!

Congratulations! Your request for the new Blue Cash Everyday Card product change has been approved. The Product Change will be effective on 04/28/2011.

You will receive details regarding the change in terms by mail.

Your current Card can continue to be used until the new Card is received. Your new Card will be received within 7-10 business days.

It was my pleasure to assist you. We appreciate your Cardmembership since 2000 and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Sincerely, OOOOOOO Email Servicing Team American Express Interactive Services

Are you and the AMEX rep related? That can't be a very common name.

nm.

Has anyone figured out which stores American Express considers to be "supermarkets"?

ColbyS said:   So sweet to have a 5%+ card lined up after AARP expires.

Perhaps for groceries, but AMEX can't come close to the benefits of 5% across the board. At least the "old" AMEX BLUE CASH will continue to provide 5% for groceries, fuel, and drugstores after members hit the annual $6500 tier.

Definitely like the Everyday option. I applied for Blue Cash last year but didn't get it, so hopefully they'll take me this time around.

VagrTiger said:   Argyll said:   It looks like they are no longer offering the Blue Cash with the $6500 tier.

6% on groceries looks mighty good.

It's simple math. $6500 spend with 0 CashBack is equivalent to $130 loss on a 2% CashBack credit card (Schwab, Household, etc.). Now AMEX offers you 6% CashBack (instead of old 5%) with only $75 annual fee. So what is better 5% for $130, or 6% for $75?

It's not that simple. You didn't get 0% Cash Back on the first $6,500 on the old card.

The old card also didn't have an annual fee.

You "lose" on the first $6,500 but gain immensely once you pass that threshold.

6% on supermarket purchases looks good but you get a reduced 3% on gas and lose 5% at pharmacies completely.

The old card is still way better for the higher spenders vs using only a 2% Cash Back card.

Do supermarket pharmacies count under supermarkets?

so I spend about 35-40k/year on my AMEX blue cash- so I take it I would NOT want to switch since i'm hitting 5% pretty quick correct?

wp746911 said:   so I spend about 35-40k/year on my AMEX blue cash- so I take it I would NOT want to switch since i'm hitting 5% pretty quick correct?

I wouldn't switch if I were you, especially since the card is compatible with Envaulted, you can be netting 6% in each category and 2.25% on everything else.

hmm never heard of envaulted before- is this only for online purchases (like FW CashBack) or something else?

wp746911 said:   so I spend about 35-40k/year on my AMEX blue cash- so I take it I would NOT want to switch since i'm hitting 5% pretty quick correct?

Assuming you spend a good chunk of that money at supermarkets, gas stations, and drug stores, you're probably better off not converting.

I got approved by email to convert blue cash to blue everyday. It was easier than calling. Blue cash had been sitting in the drawer for the longest time but this will be my main card now. Thanks!

Called but they did not let me convert my gold reward card to "BLUE CASH EVERYDAY" card, need to try again.

Argyll said:   Do supermarket pharmacies count under supermarkets?

It does for me at Kroger pharmacies.

hejustlaughs said:   VagrTiger said:   Argyll said:   It looks like they are no longer offering the Blue Cash with the $6500 tier.

6% on groceries looks mighty good.

It's simple math. $6500 spend with 0 CashBack is equivalent to $130 loss on a 2% CashBack credit card (Schwab, Household, etc.). Now AMEX offers you 6% CashBack (instead of old 5%) with only $75 annual fee. So what is better 5% for $130, or 6% for $75?

It's not that simple. You didn't get 0% Cash Back on the first $6,500 on the old card.

The old card also didn't have an annual fee.

You "lose" on the first $6,500 but gain immensely once you pass that threshold.

6% on supermarket purchases looks good but you get a reduced 3% on gas and lose 5% at pharmacies completely.

The old card is still way better for the higher spenders vs using only a 2% Cash Back card.

It all depends on what you spend your money on and what other cards you use.

I use FKFCU for gas, will use the Blue Cash Preferred for groceries and maybe the odd trip I make to a department store, and Schwab 2% for everything else. I rarely go to drugstores so I don't lose anything there.

My annual grocery expenditures are under $6500 so I never make the current Blue Cash threshold unless I buy coins or some such and for that I normally use the Schwab card (or Chase AARP for now).

When I worked out the math for my spending patterns and card usage patterns, I'll get roughly $150 to $250 more Cash Back (after the annual fee) with the Blue Cash Preferred than I would without it.

So, its not just how much you spend but what you spend it on and what other cards are in your arsenal.

What is or isn't considered a supermarket or department store? Is there a list? Stores I am curious about is Target, Sears and WalMart. That would make a difference for me in whether I go for the preferred card or not.

Anyone know if CostCo Gas Station = Superstore = 1.25% CashBack?

I'd definitely stick with your Blue Cash.That's my strategy as well. You can enhance your return by using a Fidelity AMEX to obtain 2% CashBack for non-5% items..........

Good Luck,

So I decided to spend the past hour pulling together a calculator (thought that it would take only 10 minutes). I compared my current Blue Cash Card rewards (no AF) to the Blue Cash Everyday Card rewards (no AF). My findings are pasted below based on 9% of spend on groceries, 9% on gas, remaining 82% on other (what AMEX shows as average for my category). Based on that, I need to spend $13K in one year to break even which means that in my case I'll stick with my current Blue Cash card.

Also, I played around with the percent breakouts a bit (Groceries, Gas, Other):

5%, 5%, 90%: Break even ~$15K
25%, 25%, 50%: Break even ~$12K
40%, 40%, 20%: Break even ~$11k

I think that a general rule of thumb is that if you spend more than $15K a year on your current blue cash card, don't switch to the new Everyday card w/No AF. I'm sure that there are others on this site that feel otherwise. Please feel free to comment but I'd appreciate if you'd do so with a quantitative analysis behind your thoughts.

Spend Blue Cash Current Blue Cash Everyday
$1,000.00 $5.90 $12.70
$2,000.00 $11.80 $25.40
$3,000.00 $17.70 $38.10
$4,000.00 $23.60 $50.80
$5,000.00 $29.50 $63.50
$6,000.00 $35.40 $76.20
$7,000.00 $47.98 $88.90
$8,000.00 $67.23 $101.60
$9,000.00 $86.48 $114.30
$10,000.00 $105.73 $127.00
$11,000.00 $124.98 $139.70
$12,000.00 $144.23 $152.40
$13,000.00 $163.48 $165.10
$14,000.00 $182.73 $177.80
$15,000.00 $201.98 $190.50
$16,000.00 $221.23 $203.20
$17,000.00 $240.48 $215.90
$18,000.00 $259.73 $228.60
$19,000.00 $278.98 $241.30
$20,000.00 $298.23 $254.00
$21,000.00 $317.48 $266.70
$22,000.00 $336.73 $279.40
$23,000.00 $355.98 $292.10
$24,000.00 $375.23 $304.80
$25,000.00 $394.48 $317.50

Can anyone who has received the new cards clarify the redemption options, i.e. if $25 in "rewards dollars" is actually equivalent to $25 cash?

phoenixlau said:   Can anyone who has received the new cards clarify the redemption options, i.e. if $25 in "rewards dollars" is actually equivalent to $25 cash?

You're kidding right?

hejustlaughs said:   phoenixlau said:   Can anyone who has received the new cards clarify the redemption options, i.e. if $25 in "rewards dollars" is actually equivalent to $25 cash?

You're kidding right?

Well that's not an unreasonable question-many companies label their product/rewards in deceptive ways. If you get $1000 in reward dollars that is worth about $1000 cash (sometimes you can get a little more if you get some discountend gift cards).

cheeto said:   What is or isn't considered a supermarket or department store? Is there a list? Stores I am curious about is Target, Sears and WalMart. That would make a difference for me in whether I go for the preferred card or not.

Target, WalMart, Sams all don't qualify for "supermarket" and will only get the base 1%. Sears is considered a department store.

sunrising said:   I think that a general rule of thumb is that if you spend more than $15K a year on your current blue cash card, don't switch to the new Everyday card w/No AF. I'm sure that there are others on this site that feel otherwise. Please feel free to comment but I'd appreciate if you'd do so with a quantitative analysis behind your thoughts.

It's been repeated over and over again in this thread. If you want to use just ONE card for all of your expenses, a 2% card (such as Schwab, Household, Orchard, etc) will beat all versions of Blue Cash given your spending pattern, that is:

$1000 => $20
$10000 => $200
$25000 => $500

But if you are frugal, then you would not mind using new Blue Cash Everyday for groceries at 3%, PF rewards card for gas at 5%, and your favorite 2% card for the rest of purchases. Then, given your expense pattern you will have:

$1000 => $23.6
$10000 => $236
$25000 => $590

Your grocery bill is relatively small ($2250 when you spend $25000). As it was mentioned, if your annual grocery purchases exceed $2500 ($209 per month), you will be better off with Blue Cash Preferred.

The only category that the new Blue Cash cards lack that is not covered by other types of cards is the drugstores. My annual Drugstore purchases are probably under $10, since I find them small and overpriced compared to regular grocery stores/supermarkets.

Any idea if you can convert AMEX Blue (not Blue Cash) to this new card? And if so, what happens to your existing Membership Rewards points?

qcumber98 said:   I got approved by email to convert blue cash to blue everyday. It was easier than calling. Blue cash had been sitting in the drawer for the longest time but this will be my main card now. Thanks!

I am thinking to do the same as I rarely use my Blue Cash. But I have few other thoughts before I do:
1. My blue is the oldest card I have and has no fee. If I convert to the Blue Everyday still no fee at the moment but this may change in the future and I wouldn't like that at all. (Although I may be able to transfer back, but not sure)
2. I don't want to mess up with my existing account too much because that may trigger an AMEX review and since I almost never used my card they may lower my CL.

Still would probably go ahead and do it, but just some additional thoughts.

Hmm....interesting thing I noticed on the Everyday application. Down toward the bottom in a blue box it says:

"By submitting this application, I certify that I have read, met and agreed to all of the terms, conditions and disclosures which contain fee and other important information. I understand that the annual Card fee is $75."

But the terms and conditions show $0 for the Annual Fee. Typo or trickery?

Thanks OP.

Applied for the Blue Cash Preferred since they are giving out $100 bonus. Will convert to the regular blue cash before the annual fee is due for the 2nd year. With the $100 bonus, I will still be ahead for $25 after the $75 annual fee while earning 6% in grocery for the 1st year.

Easy conversion to EveryDay from Delta Options. No go for Blue Cash Business.

reptilian said:   Any idea if you can convert AMEX Blue (not Blue Cash) to this new card? And if so, what happens to your existing Membership Rewards points?

I converted the AMEX Blue to the new card and it showed that I would have 30 days to cash my membership rewards. Now that the new Blue Cash Preferred shows online, I have lost my link to my points.

It wasnt much I had (1100 points), but the day I convereted, while not showing online, I tried to cash in for a $10 GC, and it told my that my 4 digit number was not correct (even though it was). I figured that it is expecting the new 4 digit number. The next day I checked and tried to log in to membership rewards, it told me that I had no card linked to the program. I would cash in before converting to be on the safe side.

In the meantime, I'll wait to see if they fix the system within the next week, if not I will be calling before the 30 days are up.

How is AMEX about downgrading..for example....if i would convert my AMEX Blue (membership rewards points) to AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, and after the first year i decided i would like to change to the everyday (no fee) card, would they let you convert it like that?

By the way, i was told by a CSR that although she could switch me to the AMEX Blue cash (old version) immediately...if i would prefer to switch to the new Everyday (no fee card) i could call next friday and they should have it set up to do it then...i hope she was giving accurate information...

I do see the option to upgrade to the fee version when i log into my account even now though...just not as of yet the option to change to the no fee card yet...
Haven't decided which way i want to go...

The fee based card (after annual fee) would only net me about $25-$50 more per year then the fee-free one...based on my spending patterns...so no sure if the fee one makes sense for me...
If not, then i would take the fee free one....i just hope she is right about being able to convert to it next week over the phone...i didn't really want to apply for a new card, just convert my current one...

sloppy1 said:   Any sign up bonus avbailable????

$100 Welcome Bonus

$100 Welcome Bonus: Earn a $100 Cash Back bonus with $500 in eligible purchases in the first 60 days of Cardmembership on your Blue Cash PreferredSM Card.

Offer valid for first-time Blue Cash Preferred from American Express Cardmembers only. To qualify for the $100 bonus, you must make purchases with your Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express that total $500 or more within your first 60 days of Cardmembership. The bonus will be awarded in the form of reward dollars, which will be added to your reward dollar balance and can be redeemed at anytime. Minimum reward redemption is $25. Cash advances, balance transfers, finance charges, fees and the purchase of American Express ® Travelers Cheques and American Express Gift Cheques, or other cash equivalents, do not apply. You may be permitted to have more than one Blue Cash Preferred from American Express account, however, you are eligible to receive the welcome bonus for only one Blue Cash Preferred from American Express account. Additional Cardmembers on your account are not eligible for this offer. To receive the $100 bonus, account must be active, in good standing and not in default at the time the statement credit is posted to your account.

pianomaster said:   qcumber98 said:   I got approved by email to convert blue cash to blue everyday. It was easier than calling. Blue cash had been sitting in the drawer for the longest time but this will be my main card now. Thanks!

I am thinking to do the same as I rarely use my Blue Cash. But I have few other thoughts before I do:
1. My blue is the oldest card I have and has no fee. If I convert to the Blue Everyday still no fee at the moment but this may change in the future and I wouldn't like that at all. (Although I may be able to transfer back, but not sure)
2. I don't want to mess up with my existing account too much because that may trigger an AMEX review and since I almost never used my card they may lower my CL.

Still would probably go ahead and do it, but just some additional thoughts.

You worry too much.

I would like to revisit the gift card issue, and work through an example.

I currently have around $500 of monthly insurance / utility bills that I can pay with Visa but not AMEX.

Suppose that I take my Blue Cash Preferred to the supermarket, buy a $500 Visa gift card, and pay the bills.

The fee would be around $5, and I would receive around $30 Cash Back, for a net cost of $475, or around 5% savings.

This approach could of course be used for any sort of purchase.

The question I have is whether AMEX or the supermarket care about this. I don't think AMEX can directly tell what you're buying at the supermarket, but they might have ways of guessing. If they knew, would they care? If so, why?

Is there any fundamental difference between buying gift cards and actual groceries, given that you cannot get cash out of a gift card except by fairly torturous means?

Another way of coming at the question is to ask where AMEX gets the money for the 6% Cash Back. Part of it comes from merchant fees, and part from the annual fee. But beyond this, is there some distinction between real goods (groceries) and virtual goods (gift cards)?

user5387 said:    But beyond this, is there some distinction between real goods (groceries) and virtual goods (gift cards)?

I've bought many gift cards at the supermarket with my Blue Cash. No problem. They've simply been incorporated into my grocery charge, and I've received 5% CashBack.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 12 3 4531
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014