NEW American Express Blue Cash Cards

Archived From: Finance
  • 124 25 26272831
  • Page
  • Text Only
Uso said:   madcowdisease said:   somdave2005 said:   Anyone know if I convert my Preferred card to the regular Blue Cash card, would I keep my CashBack balance?

I don't see why not, I did the reverse last year with no problem.

I thought AMEX no longer offer Blue Cash. Only BCE or BCP now.

Correct; AMEX no longer offers the card to new users. One cannot move from BCP to "regular" blue cash.

dl73 said:   dl73 said:   kb2120 said:   What is the typical lag ( if any ) between statement closing and rewards showing up online ? The statement shows updated the rewards balance when I look at it, but online it hasn't updated so I can redeem them. Anyone else seeing this ?

Yeah it usually takes a couple days after the statement (for the rewards to show up and be available to redeem).

Well now that I said that perhaps there is a glitch - my account is now 4-5 days past the statement and earned rewards haven't shown up to redeem yet (unlike previous months). [Edit - they just showed up a few hours later]

Statement closed 1-21
Payment made 1-22
Rewards available 1-27 (previous experience rewards showed up 1 day after payment posted)

4 months and counting until my 2013 renewal date

WWYD HH to maximize my last 4 months at unlimited CB if you were in my shoes??

feel free to PM me if you don't want to disclose publicly.

part of my plan involves taking advantage of the CB, while carrying as low balance as possible. i guess what I'm really asking is strategies i can use not to raise AMEX attention.

WWYD

ThisGuy11 said:   Uso said:   madcowdisease said:   somdave2005 said:   Anyone know if I convert my Preferred card to the regular Blue Cash card, would I keep my CashBack balance?

I don't see why not, I did the reverse last year with no problem.

I thought AMEX no longer offer Blue Cash. Only BCE or BCP now.

Correct; AMEX no longer offers the card to new users. One cannot move from BCP to "regular" blue cash.

Nevermind.

I notice that they have a number of gift Cards available for 90% of Face value including Macy's and Land's End with a reported sale ending date of 1/31/2013.

While most of us are in the habit of redeeming for a credit to the account. without considering alternatives, if you shop at these stores, or could, they are a good deal.

One non-obvious aspect is that Land's End cards are usable at Sears and K-Mart, and one of these stores carries much of what most of us buy. Sear's cards are not on sale so the less knowledgeable customers may miss this opportunity.

For me and I suspect others, a problem is that I shop at these stores, but already have a stack of gift cards for them, usually from credit card redemption. I presume these stores offer these cards at a large discount to credit card firms, because these are the ones that are often on sale, and are readily available.

The other problem is that the minimum purchase is $90, and my balance is just short of that by a few cents. Since they seem to have sales fairly often, I am tempted to delay redeeming to accumulate more points, and see what my family's needs are. If the sale is not continued, I may redeem for a credit before the next due date. However, there may be a case for carrying a balance in points so that one can take advantage of such sales. Our family's monthly earnings are about $75, so leaving $25 unredeemed would make it easier to take advantage of the next sale.

For the "Store Gift Cards/Gas Cards", one can get 6%(AXP Prefered) or 5%(AXP6500) CashBack in supermarket.

For the AXP6500 5%CashBack 6500 cap card, search "Amazon Pay" or check your "Other account" under your Amazon Account.

ProfessorEd said:   I notice that they have a number of gift Cards available for 90% of Face value including Macy's and Land's End with a reported sale ending date of 1/31/2013.

While most of us are in the habit of redeeming for a credit to the account. without considering alternatives, if you shop at these stores, or could, they are a good deal.

One non-obvious aspect is that Land's End cards are usable at Sears and K-Mart, and one of these stores carries much of what most of us buy. Sear's cards are not on sale so the less knowledgeable customers may miss this opportunity.

For me and I suspect others, a problem is that I shop at these stores, but already have a stack of gift cards for them, usually from credit card redemption. I presume these stores offer these cards at a large discount to credit card firms, because these are the ones that are often on sale, and are readily available.

The other problem is that the minimum purchase is $90, and my balance is just short of that by a few cents. Since they seem to have sales fairly often, I am tempted to delay redeeming to accumulate more points, and see what my family's needs are. If the sale is not continued, I may redeem for a credit before the next due date. However, there may be a case for carrying a balance in points so that one can take advantage of such sales. Our family's monthly earnings are about $75, so leaving $25 unredeemed would make it easier to take advantage of the next sale.

Ugh, I feel sick now. Sometime last year, I "upgraded" my old AMEX Blue Cash card to the Preferred (after much reluctance and checking with several different AMEX reps that there would be no cap going forward). What a scam.

Has there been any mention of the old Blue Cash card getting capped in the near future?

Are there any capless 5% grocery CashBack cards that I can turn to now?

ddeeaallzz said:   . . . .

I believe the CITI Preferred is uncapped and has 5% back (in points) for the first year. That card has its own thread.

b16899 said:   For the "Store Gift Cards/Gas Cards", one can get 6%(AXP Prefered) or 5%(AXP6500) CashBack in supermarket.

For the AXP6500 5%CashBack 6500 cap card, search "Amazon Pay" or check your "Other account" under your Amazon Account.

ProfessorEd said:   I notice that they have a number of gift Cards available for 90% of Face value including Macy's and Land's End with a reported sale ending date of 1/31/2013.

I think your points is that if you buy a gift card in the grocery stores,you can get 6% back (although pushing yourself closer to the $6,000 limit on spending for 6% back, a limit my family will probably hit). Thus, if you redeems for a gift card, you may $10 instead of $6.00, leaving a net of $4.00. If you have a stack of gift card now, (my situation)getting the cards now implies holding them for a while, risking losing them, changing spending patterns so you no longer shop at that store, tying up cash you could get now, etc.) This is a good point.

In any case, the cards are no longer on sale (although I suspect others sales may occur in the future). Hence, I decided not to save up points for this possible future use, but to redeem now for a credit.

Well hate to be the first to post this negative news.. As I was also the first to post that the blue cash was being capped on the first $6000...

Anyway, got my statement the other day and they changed the terms from the cap going into effect upon your renewal on or after january xx, 2013.

Last page now has an Amendment to the supplement to the cardmembers agreement which states

"Effective with your first billing period that begins on or after May 1, 2013....."

Your will earn a reward of :

"6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases during an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the US (Superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets). An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row starting with the one that begins in january".

The rest of the verbiage really deals with specifically stating the purchases must be done in US based grocery stores, but stuck in there I noticed is the date changed from when the 6% is capped that I provided above.

Wow, that stinks! Anyone dare clarify this statement directly with AMEX. Pretty sneaky of them to do this btw

Wonder if those whose cap was to come into effect in Feb/Mar/Apr got the same T&C change ... I guess not.

jcohen73 said:   Well hate to be the first to post this negative news.. As I was also the first to post that the blue cash was being capped on the first $6000...

Anyway, got my statement the other day and they changed the terms from the cap going into effect upon your renewal on or after january xx, 2013.

Last page now has an Amendment to the supplement to the cardmembers agreement which states

"Effective with your first billing period that begins on or after May 1, 2013....."

"6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases during an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the US (Superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets). An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row starting with the one that begins in january".

The rest of the verbiage really deals with specifically stating the purchases must be done in US based grocery stores, but stuck in there I noticed is the date changed from when the 6% is capped that I provided above.

Questions:
1. If my statement ends on 9th May, will I earn rewards up until 9th may statement?
2. Will I qualify for 6000 spend for may - dec statement or will they include my purchase from before may statements?

starcrossed said:   1. If my statement ends on 9th May, will I earn rewards up until 9th may statement?
It sounds like you "should", but no guarantee

jcohen73 said:   Well hate to be the first to post this negative news.. As I was also the first to post that the blue cash was being capped on the first $6000...

I saw that too, but not sure if I fully understand it. It may be a good thing for me since my annual renewal was to be up in March. So we should continue to get unlimited 6% up until the billing period that includes May 1, then 6% on $6,000 through the rest of the 2013 calendar year?

My annual fee was just charged on Feb 6, 2013 statment so I thought I am now in the 6K cap territory but on that statment got the same message about May 1, 2013. So I am not in the 6k cap yet, right?

MoneyOCD said:   My annual fee was just charged on Feb 6, 2013 statment so I thought I am now in the 6K cap territory but on that statment got the same message about May 1, 2013. So I am not in the 6k cap yet, right?

It's best to speak with AMEX directly about your a/c.

I converted to BCP last Nov and charged the fee then, but later on was told that my "membership year" is in March (I guess my a/c before it was converted was originally opened in March).

So I thought that my $6k limit on Supermarkets would begin this March.

I called AMEX to confirm and they told me that while the $6k limit begins in March, that my next annual fee would be in Nov.

misterspaghetti said:   jcohen73 said:   Well hate to be the first to post this negative news.. As I was also the first to post that the blue cash was being capped on the first $6000...

I saw that too, but not sure if I fully understand it. It may be a good thing for me since my annual renewal was to be up in March. So we should continue to get unlimited 6% up until the billing period that includes May 1, then 6% on $6,000 through the rest of the 2013 calendar year?

Just heard back that my cap will begin in March, despite what the latest statement claimed.

does anyone know if 7-11 is considered as grocery?

tomprc said:   does anyone know if 7-11 is considered as grocery? Depend on store. make a small purchase and check mcc listed in the transaction.

tomprc said:   does anyone know if 7-11 is considered as grocery?

My experience is if the convenience store sells gas, an in-store purchase shows up as "service station" which qualifies for gas
on Chase, Citi and AMEX cards (good when the rotator cards are 5% gas). Doesn't work for Penfed as they specify "at pump" which has a different MCC.

clutchcargo777 said:   tomprc said:   does anyone know if 7-11 is considered as grocery?

My experience is if the convenience store sells gas, an in-store purchase shows up as "service station" which qualifies for gas
on Chase, Citi and AMEX cards (good when the rotator cards are 5% gas). Doesn't work for Penfed as they specify "at pump" which has a different MCC.

I can definitely confirm this - I tried several test transactions with the Penfed card all over and couldn't get any to bite. Do you know of any specific gas stations where the AMEX card registered as gas? I don't have much exp using my blue cash card to date. I have Mobil, Shell, safeway and probably a few others around me in the Chicago area.

debtinator said:   clutchcargo777 said:   tomprc said:   does anyone know if 7-11 is considered as grocery?

I can definitely confirm this - I tried several test transactions with the Penfed card all over and couldn't get any to bite. Do you know of any specific gas stations where the AMEX card registered as gas? I don't have much exp using my blue cash card to date. I have Mobil, Shell, safeway and probably a few others around me in the Chicago area.

It doesn't seem to be any brand of gas. I've tried it at 7-11, Rebel and a local mom and pop C-store that happened to sell Shell gas. The purchase came back with the name of the C-store but categorized as a service station and got the bonus from a Citi card A Chase and an AMEX card. I just make sure any C-stores I go to have a gas pump onsite.

Two 7-Elevens near me coded as a grocery store for an in-store purchase. I have been exploiting Kroger gas points so I have not tried paying inside for gas to see if it will code as grocery vs. gas station.

Does anyone know what happens after May now ? Do you start with a fresh cap of $6000 for grocery ? Or if you spend $6000+ already Jan - April, you get 1% from May - December ?

kb2120 said:   Does anyone know what happens after May now ? Do you start with a fresh cap of $6000 for grocery ? Or if you spend $6000+ already Jan - April, you get 1% from May - December ?

At least to me the wording seemed clear. For twelve months from the January statement, you benefit from 6% on groceries. To me this means once the terms come into effect, they count purchases from January and stop crediting you 6% once you hit $6,000. If when the new terms come into effect, you have already spent $6,000 on groceries, they give you only 1% from then on.

Tom9999 said:   Two 7-Elevens near me coded as a grocery store for an in-store purchase. I have been exploiting Kroger gas points so I have not tried paying inside for gas to see if it will code as grocery vs. gas station.
Do both have gas stations attached?

kb2120 said:   Does anyone know what happens after May now ? Do you start with a fresh cap of $6000 for grocery ? Or if you spend $6000+ already Jan - April, you get 1% from May - December ?

Emailed with this same question to AMEX, as CSRs were confused - got 3 different answers on 3 different calls. I got the response below:

You will continue to earn 6% rewards on all supermarket purchases till ***** (your account renewal date).However, as the reward period is from January- December 2013, the cap of $6,000 will be calculated from 01/01/13 only.So if you have already made supermarket purchases of $6,000 before (****** account date renewal date in 2013), you will earn 1% rewards after this date for the remaining calendar year.

Ilovesquash said:   kb2120 said:   Does anyone know what happens after May now ? Do you start with a fresh cap of $6000 for grocery ? Or if you spend $6000+ already Jan - April, you get 1% from May - December ?

Emailed with this same question to AMEX, as CSRs were confused - got 3 different answers on 3 different calls. I got the response below:

You will continue to earn 6% rewards on all supermarket purchases till ***** (your account renewal date).However, as the reward period is from January- December 2013, the cap of $6,000 will be calculated from 01/01/13 only.So if you have already made supermarket purchases of $6,000 before (****** account date renewal date in 2013), you will earn 1% rewards after this date for the remaining calendar year.

My original change (October/November statement?) notice wording would concur with the response you received. Out of curiosity, had you received the new statement this month with the change in terms? No place in that response is mentioning anything about the new notice saying a May 1, 2013 date. The one part of the new statement that had me a little puzzled is the new change in terms is mentioning the May 1, 2013 date AND has to be "U.S." grocery stores as opposed to being able to use your card in a foreign country.

If you have not received your new statement yet, who ever responded might have responded based on what is currently tied to your account and not the update. When I notified a friend of mine about the change in terms back in November, he immediately called AMEX and questioned it. Since he hadn't gotten his statement yet, everyone told him that his terms hadn't changed and he thought what I was saying was incorrect.

ProfessorEd said:   kb2120 said:   Does anyone know what happens after May now ? Do you start with a fresh cap of $6000 for grocery ? Or if you spend $6000+ already Jan - April, you get 1% from May - December ?

At least to me the wording seemed clear. For twelve months from the January statement, you benefit from 6% on groceries. To me this means once the terms come into effect, they count purchases from January and stop crediting you 6% once you hit $6,000. If when the new terms come into effect, you have already spent $6,000 on groceries, they give you only 1% from then on.

Thanks, that is what my interpretation was too, just wanted to see if others agreed. Interesting that they have changed terms twice in less than 6 months. Some higher up must be really upset about the amount of rewards they are paying out.

DEATH of 5% REWARDS ON CC's

Suprisingly the article does not highlight anywhere the high fees AMEX charges for keeping their cards. Seems like more of a bashing for churners at this point

recklessmax said:   DEATH of 5% REWARDS ON CC's

Suprisingly the article does not highlight anywhere the high fees AMEX charges for keeping their cards. Seems like more of a bashing for churners at this point

"Next, take full advantage of these offers, but donít ever spend more money to earn rewards. Even when earning 6% Cash Back, cardholders are still losing the other 94% when they make unnecessary expenditures."

LOL. What were we thinking??

tomprc said:   Tom9999 said:   Two 7-Elevens near me coded as a grocery store for an in-store purchase. I have been exploiting Kroger gas points so I have not tried paying inside for gas to see if it will code as grocery vs. gas station.
Do both have gas stations attached?

Yes

I know rewards are slow to post recently but how long is current delay. For me it used to take 3-5 days after statement cut. But on recent statement it's more then a week and rewards are not updated yet.

mikecl said:   I know rewards are slow to post recently but how long is current delay. For me it used to take 3-5 days after statement cut. But on recent statement it's more then a week and rewards are not updated yet.

On my last Feb statement it took about a week. Seems to get longer every time.

dl73 said:   
On my last Feb statement it took about a week. Seems to get longer every time.

Thanks. Feb statement is frustrating. I am still waiting for rewards to show up.

FYI

I kept the BC and my wife got BCE and BCP.
I compared the last pages of all recent statements.

The front side of the pages look same.
The back side are different.

The BC one is still the same with no change
1% everyday, 0.5% others below $6500
5% everyday, 1% others over $6500

ddeeaallzz said:   Ugh, I feel sick now. Sometime last year, I "upgraded" my old AMEX Blue Cash card to the Preferred (after much reluctance and checking with several different AMEX reps that there would be no cap going forward). What a scam.

Has there been any mention of the old Blue Cash card getting capped in the near future?

Call them to see if you can UN "upgraded" (downgrade) back to BC?

b16899 said:   

ddeeaallzz said:   Ugh, I feel sick now. Sometime last year, I "upgraded" my old AMEX Blue Cash card to the Preferred (after much reluctance and checking with several different AMEX reps that there would be no cap going forward). What a scam.

Call them to see if you can UN "upgraded" (downgrade) back to BC?

When you PC, they give you 30 days to reverse the PC. You can call and try, but most likely no.

BCP or BC will be useless for churning by May. Look at your statement. AMEX added exclusion to prepard card and etc...

Uso said:   BCP or BC will be useless for churning by May. Look at your statement. AMEX added exclusion to prepard card and etc...

Did you know AMEX always had "Cash Equivalents will not earn rewards/cashbacks" clause? GC = PrePaid = Cash Equivalent. So, buying GCs shouldn't have earned any rewards/cashbacks in the past.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014