NEW American Express Blue Cash Cards

Archived From: Finance
  • 1 234531
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Blue Cash Everyday
Get 3% Cash Back at supermarkets, 2% back at gas stations and department stores, and 1% everywhere else.

Blue Cash Preferred $75 AF
Get unlimited Cash Back for all your purchases, including 6% Cash Back at supermarkets, 3% Cash Back at gas stations and department stores, and 1% back everywhere else

Credit CB Forums.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Hmm. I don't know which is correct.

The application says:

An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row beginning w... (more)

Krazen1211 (Dec. 28, 2013 @ 3:15p) |

Good catch. The poster right before you suggests that the first one is correct and the online account info is wrong.

doveroftke (Dec. 30, 2013 @ 9:38a) |

My interpretation of the numbers I see today (1/1/2014) for my card on the AmEx website is that the $6000 cap resets on ... (more)

govenar (Jan. 01, 2014 @ 4:09a) |

The links in the original post (OP) is no longer working. Here's working links for both cards (includes $100 bonus for Blue Cash Everyday or $150 bonus for Blue Cash Preferred): American Express Blue Cash Cards

Here's the old thread discussing it: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/100210/?start=0

Check Application Status

Store Category Codes -> this is unreliable since the link is for VISA MMC checker. AMEX has their own. Thanks whoever put this in here though.

Qualified Grocery Stores:
Super WalMart (? variable)
safeway, Belair, Raleys, Vons

Note: A number of Blue Cash Preferred cardholders received Oct 2012 notices that starting at their account renewal date in 2013, the 6% reward on U.S. stand-alone supermarkets applies only to the first $6,000 during each calendar year, after which such purchases earn only 1%.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Isn't this worse than the existing Blue Cash?

There is no more mention of 6500 threshold to reach the rewards level but damn I was thinking about getting the Blue card just yesterday too.

I was just about to post this myself. Good thing I checked before hitting "Post topic."

No, these cards are better than the "classic" Blue Cash, unless you spend enough above $6500 annually that the 5% rewards on the "classic" card exceed the rewards for the two new cards. The two new cards seem to pay the full Cash Back immediately, with no thresholds or caps.

I'm kind of intrigued by the new cards. I never use my current ("classic") Blue Cash anymore because I don't spend enough above the $6500 threshold every year to make it worth not spending on my other cards, which offer at least 2% Cash Back on everything. But it would be worth getting Blue Cash Everyday just for the 3% Cash Back at supermarkets (except for those quarters where my Citi Dividend Platinum Select or Chase Freedom cards are offering 5% Cash Back in those categories, assuming I stay below their spending caps, which hasn't been a problem so far).

I'm reluctant to get Blue Cash Preferred, simply because spending an annual fee on a credit card is against my religion, and because it's not outside the realm of possibility that AMEX will eventually raise the fee and/or lower or cap the Cash Back, worsening this card's benefit/cost structure. But objectively, doubling my Cash Back on supermarkets relative to the Blue Cash Everyday card isn't bad. In fact, it looks like the break-even for that is $2500 in annual spending at supermarkets, which is $208.33 per month. I spend more than that, so...it's something to consider.

The question is if/when the change will take place for existing cardholders?

dl73 said:   The question is if/when the change will take place for existing cardholders?

I've heard nothing from AMEX. It wouldn't be unusual for them to allow existing card holders to simply keep, and continue to use, their cards well into the future.

When I log in to AMEX and take a look at these cards, I have radio boxes that read "Apply Now" for "Blue Cash Everyday" and "Upgrade Now" for "Blue Cash Preferred." I wonder if that means that converting to "Blue Cash Preferred" will allow you to keep your account intact--meaning that they'll still report to the credit bureaus that you've had the card for, say, four years--while "Blue Cash Everyday" would be considered a new card. I'd think twice about applying for Blue Cash Everyday if it's going to hurt my FICO.

TooManyCards said:   dl73 said:   The question is if/when the change will take place for existing cardholders?

I've heard nothing from AMEX. It wouldn't be unusual for them to allow existing card holders to simply keep, and continue to use, their cards well into the future.

When I log in to AMEX and take a look at these cards, I have radio boxes that read "Apply Now" for "Blue Cash Everyday" and "Upgrade Now" for "Blue Cash Preferred." I wonder if that means that converting to "Blue Cash Preferred" will allow you to keep your account intact--meaning that they'll still report to the credit bureaus that you've had the card for, say, four years--while "Blue Cash Everyday" would be considered a new card. I'd think twice about applying for Blue Cash Everyday if it's going to hurt my FICO.

Others reported on another forum that you can switch from old Blue Cash to those new ones w/o much trouble...I don't think they will force existing cardholders to switch, only if you want to

New cards are better for the general populace that didn't spend above $6,500 to reach the 5% rewards level.

If you're a FWF person the $6,500 spending threshold should take you a month to attain.

hejustlaughs said:   New cards are better for the general populace that didn't spend above $6,500 to reach the 5% rewards level.

If you're a FWF person the $6,500 spending threshold should take you a month to attain.

and $130 lost in 2% CashBack. It means that your grocery purchases should top $13,000 per year (or $1083 per month) in order for the old card to be better than the new card. Most FWF people spend less than $1000 in supermarkets.

TooManyCards said:   
I'm reluctant to get Blue Cash Preferred, simply because spending an annual fee on a credit card is against my religion

Church of Fatwallet of latter day deals?

I think the arrival of this card is very timely, given that most cards that gave 3-5% CashBack for everyday purchases all year long are gone. My last one was Driver's Edge.

VagrTiger said:   hejustlaughs said:   New cards are better for the general populace that didn't spend above $6,500 to reach the 5% rewards level.

and $130 lost in 2% CashBack. It means that your grocery purchases should top $13,000 per year (or $1083 per month) in order for the old card to be better than the new card. Most FWF people spend less than $1000 in supermarkets.

I forget what the profile of a typical FWF type person really is and I realize I am not one at all.

Let the gift card buying binge commence!

VagrTiger said:   I think the arrival of this card is very timely, given that most cards that gave 3-5% CashBack for everyday purchases all year long are gone. My last one was Driver's Edge.

Exactly. That is what I was looking for recently. I decided that even though I did not like the $6500 treshold, I would apply for it and use it, since the Chase Freedom and Discover are really not doing it for me since Driver's Edge died.

I tried to apply for it over the weekend and it kept giving me an error message. So when I tried today, the old Blue cash was not there but it gave me the option to "upgrade" my Blue to the Blue Cash Preferred. Since I do not have Penfed or a 2% card, and have and old blue with a large limit, this seems to be my best option. In three years with Driver's Edge, I got back over $2100. Looking for something similar with the 6% on groceries and 3% on gas.

You only get 1% on "other" purchases, instead of 1.25%. That 1/4% is one thing that set the Blue Cash card apart from others, where 1% is about the best reward still available (aside from temporary promos like the AARP). That's 25% additional earnings if alot of your purchases do not fall into the typical 5% bonus categories.

Does FreshDirect count as a supermarket for this purpose?

time to stop abusing us mint dollar coins program

we could use a calculator like the old one https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/loyalty.do?page=bluecas...

Any sign up bonus avbailable????

Currently I have the AMX True Earnings Costco card and was looking around to see what other Cash Back cards are out there.

Looking at my 2010 year end summary they separated clothing stores from department stores. I made most of my clothing purchases at Macys but apparently that's not a clothing store.

Did the breakdown of all the categories and it still seems better for me to have the True Earnings Costco card.

and i am not sure about this term - supermarket

Earlier term was groceries - blue cash did not give 5% back if you bought groceries at WalMart

If I spend 3000 in gas, 2000 in groceries and 15000 misc
I would probably get more in my current blue cash

its 1% everywhere else in new cards, thats killing me

Looks like you get $100 to sign up for new card for Preferred card and $75 referral bonus with the new Blue Cash Preferred for each friend.

$25 referral for Everyday card

Called AMEX and got my Blue Cash converted to Blue Cash Everyday in 5 mins. Very Easy. Thanks OP.

Does this mean for someone who was thinking about getting the Blue Cash can choose which reward program they want? Either the new or the old?

someone in sd suggested that even these cards have 6500 threshold, better call AMEX and confirm

mrkk said:   someone in sd suggested that even these cards have 6500 threshold, better call AMEX and confirm

Just because "someone" said it doesn't mean we should all give it creditability.

The language on the new Blue Cash Everyday site even says "Get 3%, 2%, and 1% Cash Back with NO spend minimum, NO enrollment, and NO rotating categories."

Thanks for letting me know. It's a good card!

I'll wait until AMEX offers me $ to open it

Don't forget to factor in the 6% on gift cards at supermarket for the Blue Cash Preferred card.

I just called and converted to the Everyday card. It took just under 18 minutes. To be fair, I had a bit of an issue with the telephone maze. I ended up talking to someone in New Accounts, who, once she understood that I wanted to convert my old card, transferred me to someone in Account Services or something similar. They initially thought I wanted to open a totally new account and keep my existing account active, but I emphasized that I wanted to convert the account, wanted the date/age of the account to remain the same, didn't want a hard pull, etc. They eventually understood that and cooperated.

The CSR in Account Services didn't understand all the details of the card--she asked me why I'd want to go from a 5% card to a 3% card, and had to verify with a colleague that the $6500 threshold is gone. She apologized, noting that the cards were only introduced a few days ago and she hadn't had an opportunity to really become familiar with them, but like all American Express CSR's I've dealt with she was helpful, friendly, and professional throughout.

So, my understanding is that my card has now been magically converted, and will show up as a five year old card (or whatever it is) for purposes of my FICO score and all that. She said I'd be getting a new card in 7-10 business days with my current number, but possibly a different expiration date, but added that their system will recognize my card as an Everyday card starting tomorrow, so if I go to the supermarket tomorrow and use my current card I'll get the 3% Cash Back under the Everyday program.

Even if you open a new account AMEX reports the year opened as the year you opened your first AMEX so if you don't mind the inquiry you may as well open a new account and take the bonus.

EX first AMEX 02/1999
apply today will report 04(month opened)/1999

dpid said:   Thanks for letting me know. It's a good card!

I'll wait until AMEX offers me $ to open it

The preferred card is offering $100 Cash Back after spending $500 in the first 60 days.

cumpaniciu said:   TooManyCards said:   
I'm reluctant to get Blue Cash Preferred, simply because spending an annual fee on a credit card is against my religion

Church of Fatwallet of latter day deals?

OT.

Nope, it's St Timothy the Redeemer Church. Some of us are Cashbackolics, and we are non denominational.

"Use your Card for all your purchases and you can earn unlimited Rewards Dollars. Redeem Rewards Dollars for Cash Back, or choose from gift cards or merchandise."

Does this mean we can accumulate our points over time or will it automatically credit each month?

My understanding is that all the Blue Cash cards (as opposed to just Blue) automatically issue statement credits once you rack up $25 Cash Back.

echip said:   Don't forget to factor in the 6% on gift cards at supermarket for the Blue Cash Preferred card.

do gift cards at supermarkets qualify for the 6% with this card?

Just switched to the Preferred. Going to call in a few days once everything has converted and have cards sent for other authorized people on my account.

Rack up the GC's too @6%.

Sweet deal, OP.

pjws3 said:   echip said:   Don't forget to factor in the 6% on gift cards at supermarket for the Blue Cash Preferred card.

Absolutely not. Whenever you buy a gift card at a grocery store, the manager of the store calls your credit card company and informs them how much of your purchase was for gift cards. There is somewhat of a delay between when you make the purchase and when this information is reflected in your account. So the points may show up in your account fora brief period of time, but will be removed before you are able to cash them out.

ironfist99 said:   pjws3 said:   echip said:   Don't forget to factor in the 6% on gift cards at supermarket for the Blue Cash Preferred card.

Absolutely not. Whenever you buy a gift card at a grocery store, the manager of the store calls your credit card company and informs them how much of your purchase was for gift cards. There is somewhat of a delay between when you make the purchase and when this information is reflected in your account. So the points may show up in your account fora brief period of time, but will be removed before you are able to cash them out.

Huh?

FYI, Costcos, WalMart, Targets, Sams Clubs.... are considered superstore or warehouse stores, so only 1% Cash Back. Too bad... Costco would have been great.

LocalMotion said:   ironfist99 said:   pjws3 said:   echip said:   Don't forget to factor in the 6% on gift cards at supermarket for the Blue Cash Preferred card.

Huh?
ironfist99 is being sarcastic. There is no way the AMEX will know what you bought from the supermarket.

It appears this is the main benefit of this card. Use the card to buy GC for all the other retailers you usually shop at. Essentially, this gets you 6% off every place that the supermarket sells gift cards to. This often includes Amazon, eBay as well as generic visa and AMEX gift cards (which come with a fee).

I have a Chase Ink card which gives 3% for gas, restaurants, office supply, and hardware stores and 1% everywhere else (limit $2000/mo). Without carrying an additional card for supermarkets, the Ink card is the best for me.

Skipping 1200 Messages...
My interpretation of the numbers I see today (1/1/2014) for my card on the AmEx website is that the $6000 cap resets on January 1, not on a statement period boundary.
When I click TRACK REWARD DOLLARS, it says Qualified Spend Year to Date is $0.  I think when I checked this a couple days ago (in 2013, but after my December statement which closed 12/20) it showed the old total, i.e., it changed on Jan 1 (not immediately after my December statement, nor after my January statement).
And I made a $13 grocery purchase in 2013 after my December statement (after reaching the $6000 cap); the website today says my Available Reward Dollar Balance is higher by 13 cents (1% of $13, not 6%); when I click View Latest Balance Details, it shows the 13 cents under "Adjusted".

I opened my BCP card in September 2013, after the $6000 cap was added; it's possible that other people's cards have different rules.
I guess it's also possible that the website temporarily shows bogus numbers until the next statement closes (e.g., the extra 5% could be added later).

Different places on the website for my card show different terms (statement period that begins in January, statement period that includes January 1st).  But my December 2013 statement says "purchases at U.S. supermarkets in a calendar year".

------ Update after getting my Feb 2014 statement: it looks like the cap really reset in December, so the "beginning with the one that includes January 1st" rule is the right one.  (The 0.13 adjustment I got seems to be just a coincidence that it was 1% of a $13 charge; I think it was really for something unrelated (my statement says "CAT 11535 Rebate Remediation"), and I actually got 6% rewards for the $13 late December charge, counted in the next rewards year.)

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 1 234531
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014