NEW American Express Blue Cash Cards

Archived From: Finance
  • 125 26 27282931
  • Page
  • Text Only
Re-read your agreement and amendment and pay special attention in merchant code section.
If you understand it, then you know what you said.

On this fatwallet page, there are couple posting discussing the merchant code of gasoline sold in supermarket and grocery sold in gas station.

Uso said:   BCP or BC will be useless for churning by May. Look at your statement. AMEX added exclusion to prepard card and etc...

mikecl said:   Feb statement is frustrating. I am still waiting for rewards to show up.

Me too. It's been 10 days since my Feb. statement posted and no rewards yet.

I just called today, the dumbass on the phone tried to convince me that one "statment" cycle was actually two statement cycles. She said points will show up after March statement. BTW, that's probably why they have had unanticipated calls this week.

TheMightyQuinn said:   mikecl said:   Feb statement is frustrating. I am still waiting for rewards to show up.

+1 here. Will not call at all. Paper statement shows rewards so I will wait to see what happens. The fewer human eyes on the account the better.

In my experience AMEX issues rewards when you make your minimum payment. Submit a payment for the minimum and the rewards should post.

A transaction from the store were we do most of our grocery shopping shows up on my existing AMEX card as
Description: GROCERY STORES, SUP
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries
(no mention of the magic word "supermarket" anywhere)

I'd like to know if this store would yield the 6% reward on a BCP card. Just spoke to AMEX customer service people, and they really couldn't tell me conclusively (the customer service people have the category, but don't know if it's included in the 6% on a different card; the new applications people don't know the category and just keep reading their definition of what a "supermarket" is, which totally describes this store (self-service store with separate checkout registers, selling fresh produce, meats, etc. -- going from memory here)). Can someone tell me from experience, if transactions with these properties do or do not yield the 6%? TIA!

dukerau said:   In my experience AMEX issues rewards when you make your minimum payment. Submit a payment for the minimum and the rewards should post.They do seem to be processing rewards a little more slowly of late. I paid more than the minimum over a week ago, and my rewards have yet to post.

olegos said:   A transaction from the store were we do most of our grocery shopping shows up on my existing AMEX card as
Description: GROCERY STORES, SUP
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries
(no mention of the magic word "supermarket" anywhere)

I'd like to know if this store would yield the 6% reward on a BCP card. Just spoke to AMEX customer service people, and they really couldn't tell me conclusively (the customer service people have the category, but don't know if it's included in the 6% on a different card; the new applications people don't know the category and just keep reading their definition of what a "supermarket" is, which totally describes this store (self-service store with separate checkout registers, selling fresh produce, meats, etc. -- going from memory here)). Can someone tell me from experience, if transactions with these properties do or do not yield the 6%? TIA!

You must call the CS and find out which qualifies or not. I had to give them my zip code to find out which grocery stores near me count toward 6%. "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" doesn't mean anything. Below is copy & paste from the BCP T&C:

"Merchants are typically assigned codes and
categorized based on what they sell. Eligible
purchases will receive only a 1% reward if
the merchant code is not in a bonus category.
Eligible purchases will receive only a 1% reward
if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card
reader or if the purchase is made with an
electronic wallet or through a third party. In
addition, eligible purchases will receive only a
1% reward if the purchase is not made directly
from the provider of the goods or services.
A merchant with more than one location may
submit purchases using different codes. This
means that purchases at some locations would earn
a higher reward, while purchases at other
locations of the same merchant would earn a lower
or no reward.

Reward dollars accrued during a billing period
will be added to your reward dollars balance at
the end the billing period following the one in
which you earned them"

https://web.aexp-static.com/us/content/pdf/cardmember-agreements...

Anybody have their Jan AMEX BCP rewards posted yet ? Im kind of freaking out its taking so long and i think they might be upto something here
even though the previous statement show the correct actual rewards earned. If anyone has been able to get them please post

Datapoint:
BCP - statement closed Feb. 12th
made min. payment Feb. 16th
rewards credited Feb. 20th

vagrants said:   You must call the CS and find out which qualifies or not. I had to give them my zip code to find out. "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" doesn't mean anything.

I did call them, and couldn't get a definitive answer, even though I had the store's full address, phone number, and a sample transaction.

Let me ask a different question. Does anyone have a transaction on their statement in this category "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" (visible if you expand transaction details online) that received the 6% bonus? (The CSRs were leaning toward this store not getting the bonus, since the category didn't include the word "supermarket".) In another thread I saw someone mention that Trader Joe's transaction had this exact category, and sounded like it did get the bonus.

I think all the purchases that received 6% show "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" as I looked at on my statement. So I would say your chances are better not worse if it shows that category. In the end though, it is the MCC code not this Category that ends up determining the reward level.

olegos said:   vagrants said:   You must call the CS and find out which qualifies or not. I had to give them my zip code to find out. "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" doesn't mean anything.

I did call them, and couldn't get a definitive answer, even though I had the store's full address, phone number, and a sample transaction.

Let me ask a different question. Does anyone have a transaction on their statement in this category "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" (visible if you expand transaction details online) that received the 6% bonus? (The CSRs were leaning toward this store not getting the bonus, since the category didn't include the word "supermarket".) In another thread I saw someone mention that Trader Joe's transaction had this exact category, and sounded like it did get the bonus.

Call again. If you can not get a straight answer from the regular CS, call the EXECUTIVE OFFICE.

kb2120 said:   Datapoint:
BCP - statement closed Feb. 12th
made min. payment Feb. 16th
rewards credited Feb. 20th

Another data point:
BCP - statement closed Feb. 20th
made min. payment Feb. 27th
rewards credited Mar. 3rd

TheMightyQuinn said:   

couponking1953 said:   
+1 here. Will not call at all. Paper statement shows rewards so I will wait to see what happens. The fewer human eyes on the account the better.

My rewards posted eventually, 2/28 or 3/1. Did not call, since the paper statement showed what I earned. But it was really slow in Feb

recklessmax said:   Anybody have their Jan AMEX BCP rewards posted yet ? Im kind of freaking out its taking so long and i think they might be upto something here
even though the previous statement show the correct actual rewards earned. If anyone has been able to get them please post

Got the rewards today. Did not call. Statement closed feb 23,

Hi folks. I used this forum to help choose a new card, so I figured I would offer up my app info in case anyone's keeping track.

Applied for BCP straight from AMEX web site over the weekend - I navigated from home page since I didn't see any relevant hidden links or special deals. Gave my wife's info since I'm not full time yet at my job, and I think her score is slightly higher. After clarifying with an online chat sales rep, I put only her income. I expected they would ask for household income and we file jointly so it would have been easy to prove, but the guy said nope, individual income. Okay. At that point I figured it was a long shot but what the hey.

Credit score ~750 on creditkarma, no bad marks, average age of accounts probably 3-4 years.
Annual income $24,000.
Home owner.
Checked boxes for retirement, checking, and savings assets.
Selected $10-25k range from drop-down menu for value of same.

I called them up this evening and my wife got quizzed for a while about her accounts. We both have fraud alerts active from a break-in earlier this year, and that was the reason I gave for calling to check on my application - see if they needed more ID info. Rep asked my wife why we wanted the card and she said for the rewards. They called our bank to confirm her home address, then said she's approved. I'm on as an additional card holder but they never asked for my financial info, just SSN.

This will be a nice upgrade from the cards we have now. We both mainly use the same cards we got when we first applied for credit; hers is a standard BofA card with no rewards, mine is an online retailer branded rewards card that works out to 1% plus a discount on shipping (was free shipping when I got it, grr). We should hit the $6k cap with our regular grocery spending and the signup bonus will be nice as we're 5 months pregnant with #1.

Anyway, hope the info is helpful.

cumpaniciu said:   TooManyCards said:   
I'm reluctant to get Blue Cash Preferred, simply because spending an annual fee on a credit card is against my religion

Church of Fatwallet of latter day deals?

Love it! especially if you live in Idaho or Utah

Ok here is one to add to the confusion. A buddy of mine who has his renewal post May emailed AMEX customer service to find out exactly when he would be capped at the 6%. They told him the cap would be starting at his renewal in October. When he replied back regarding the February notice, they said that was regarding the change that the purchases must be done in the US and that everyone would be subjected to that starting with their billing cycle beginning in May. I highly doubt this is correct, but it would be great if it is. I think it is best to do this via email rather than the phone, at least you would have a response in writing from them as opposed to only a verbal response if one wanted to contest it.

Here is a copy of the response my buddy got this morning:

Dear XXXXX,

The language that you are referring is an added text to the Cardmember Agreement. We've added this information in the Cardmember Agreement and therefore, you and other Cardmembers were notified about it, through the February statement.

To simplify this, I'd like you to know that it is just an additional of the information on the Cardmember Agreement. It will not have any impact on the way you earn your reward currently.

I'll to assure you again that the change (6% - at U.S. Supermarkets: The first $6,000.00 of purchases at U.S. supermarkets each calendar year qualifies for 6% Cash Back; 1% thereafter) will be effective on your account after it renews in October 2013.

I hope this clarifies the matter to you.

Sincerely,

jcohen73 said:   Ok here is one to add to the confusion. A buddy of mine who has his renewal post May emailed AMEX customer service to find out exactly when he would be capped at the 6%. They told him the cap would be starting at his renewal in October. When he replied back regarding the February notice, they said that was regarding the change that the purchases must be done in the US and that everyone would be subjected to that starting with their billing cycle beginning in May. I highly doubt this is correct, but it would be great if it is. I think it is best to do this via email rather than the phone, at least you would have a response in writing from them as opposed to only a verbal response if one wanted to contest it.

Here is a copy of the response my buddy got this morning:

Dear XXXXX,

The language that you are referring is an added text to the Cardmember Agreement. We've added this information in the Cardmember Agreement and therefore, you and other Cardmembers were notified about it, through the February statement.

To simplify this, I'd like you to know that it is just an additional of the information on the Cardmember Agreement. It will not have any impact on the way you earn your reward currently.

I'll to assure you again that the change (6% - at U.S. Supermarkets: The first $6,000.00 of purchases at U.S. supermarkets each calendar year qualifies for 6% Cash Back; 1% thereafter) will be effective on your account after it renews in October 2013.

I hope this clarifies the matter to you.

Sincerely,

Even if this is true, it still might not be as effective since they list a bunch of specific exclusions starting may 1, 2013 - prepaid, reloadable cards

Has anyone else contacted AMEX in order to inquire as to when the 6% actually goes away for those of us with a post renewal date after May?

Here is my contribution to the confusion. I asked AMEX exactly which date the limit would begin on my account (my account anniversary is sometime next month) and they told me the limit began on January 1. So, obviously AMEX reps are giving out contradictory info - Jan. 1 for some; account anniversary for others.

"I would like to inform you that the first $6,000.00 of purchases made at U.S. supermarkets each calendar year qualifies for 6% Cash Back and 1% thereafter.So, please be aware that this limit begins January 1st every year(irrespective of the account renewal date).I hope you find the information useful and assuring.If there is anything else that American Express can assist you with, do let us know!Sincerely, Priyank Singh"
Email Servicing Team
American Express Interactive Services

At this point we just need people who already reached the 6k limit to report how they got there.
I should be very close if not over the limit but due to delay in rewards reporting still not sure where I stand.
Anyone here who is already over 6k limit?

miles and smiles said:   Here is my contribution to the confusion. I asked AMEX exactly which date the limit would begin on my account (my account anniversary is sometime next month) and they told me the limit began on January 1. So, obviously AMEX reps are giving out contradictory info - Jan. 1 for some; account anniversary for others.

"I would like to inform you that the first $6,000.00 of purchases made at U.S. supermarkets each calendar year qualifies for 6% Cash Back and 1% thereafter.So, please be aware that this limit begins January 1st every year(irrespective of the account renewal date).I hope you find the information useful and assuring.If there is anything else that American Express can assist you with, do let us know!Sincerely, Priyank Singh"
Email Servicing Team

I think what they are saying here it is that your purchases toward the limit begin applying as of Jan 1st, so at your renewal date, you won't start out at $0 in grocery purchases, but they will just start enforcing the limit ( on grocery purchases accrued since Jan 1 ) on your at your renewal date. That is how I understand it.

ETA: I am over the $6K for this year and still getting 6%. We'll see what happens after the May statement ...

kb2120 said:   miles and smiles said:   Here is my contribution to the confusion. I asked AMEX exactly which date the limit would begin on my account (my account anniversary is sometime next month) and they told me the limit began on January 1. So, obviously AMEX reps are giving out contradictory info - Jan. 1 for some; account anniversary for others.

Email Servicing Team

I think what they are saying here it is that your purchases toward the limit begin applying as of Jan 1st, so at your renewal date, you won't start out at $0 in grocery purchases, but they will just start enforcing the limit ( on grocery purchases accrued since Jan 1 ) on your at your renewal date. That is how I understand it.

ETA: I am over the $6K for this year and still getting 6%. We'll see what happens after the May statement ...

I will be going over the 6k limit on my april statement which is on the 25th. The way i understood it was the the 6k per year went into effect this year only after the jan statement. I had done most of my purchases before the january statement so i expect to get 6% at the end of this statement despite going over. If it is what I think, i will still have about 3500 to go at 6%. If its based on renewal date as i've been reading on here then even better as my renewal date is May

Does anyone know that if your AMEX BCP statement closes sometime in April (eg: April 22) do the last few days of April grocery spending count towards the cap
or the cap will only be enforced for transactions starting May 1, 2013. Its confusing since they mentioned " That the cap goes into effective the first billing cycle that begins at or after May 1, 2013". So is the cap really enforced for the entire billing cycle or only for transactions post May 1 ?

My rewards just showed up 2 days after the statement date (back to the way it always used to be for me) so hopefully these delays are getting resolved.

dl73 said:   My rewards just showed up 2 days after the statement date (back to the way it always used to be for me) so hopefully these delays are getting resolved.

Yeah, right in time for the two new changes in terms....Redefining Rewards structure and the latest...the warning ahead of time that they are going to give you an anal probe if you F-around. I find it rather odd that the system goes back to "normal" when these two new changes in T&C go into effect...Call me a cynic.

The term says "effective with your first billing period that begins on or after May 1, 2013". So it should be effective for your 5/23-6/22 cycle. But on other hand AMEX delays a month to post the rewards, so rewards for spending between 4/23 and 5/22 will be posted on 6/22. So not sure if it is capped or not.

recklessmax said:   Does anyone know that if your AMEX BCP statement closes sometime in April (eg: April 22) do the last few days of April grocery spending count towards the cap
or the cap will only be enforced for transactions starting May 1, 2013. Its confusing since they mentioned " That the cap goes into effective the first billing cycle that begins at or after May 1, 2013". So is the cap really enforced for the entire billing cycle or only for transactions post May 1 ?

Since my account has hit the FR Team 3 times in the past 6 months, figured there was no harm in inquiring when my 6% would become capped. Here is the response I received.

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Sure, I will be happy to clarify this for you.

As per this new change in terms, only the first $6,000 of purchases at U.S. supermarkets each calendar year would qualify for 6% Cash Back; 1% thereafter.

This change became effective immediately for accounts with a product effective date November 5, 2012 or after.

For existing Blue Cash Preferred Cardmembers, this change becomes effective when their account renews on or after January 15, 2013.

Since your Card account was opened before November 5, 2012, this change becomes effective for you when your account renews on November 2013.

I hope this information clarifies the matter to you. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know. I'll be glad to assist you further.

We value your membership since 1995 and I wish you an Excellent day!

Sincerely,

what did you people expect? abuse a program, and it gets shut down. yes it sucks but it's the nature of the beast. I knew going in this wasn't going to last long as we were buying 10s of thousands in gift cards to Amazon and other retailers from grocery stores and enjoying our 6% off. Anyone who thought this wasn't going to last, I have a bridge to sell you.

I thought it wasn't going to last, but I don't need any bridges right now. I could use some ocean front property in Nebraska though. Perhaps you would be more successful selling your bridges to people who thought it was going to last...

STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   Anyone who thought this wasn't going to last, I have a bridge to sell you.

jimmax said:   The term says "effective with your first billing period that begins on or after May 1, 2013". So it should be effective for your 5/23-6/22 cycle. But on other hand AMEX delays a month to post the rewards, so rewards for spending between 4/23 and 5/22 will be posted on 6/22. So not sure if it is capped or not.

recklessmax said:   Does anyone know that if your AMEX BCP statement closes sometime in April (eg: April 22) do the last few days of April grocery spending count towards the cap

Good Point but whats the best way to find out for May transactions. Is there anyway to find out whether a particular test transaction performed in May will 6% rewards for groceries when the june statement rolls out?

edited above

nymgiants said:   nymgiants said:   kb2120 said:   miles and smiles said:   Here is my contribution to the confusion. I asked AMEX exactly which date the limit would begin on my account (my account anniversary is sometime next month) and they told me the limit began on January 1. So, obviously AMEX reps are giving out contradictory info - Jan. 1 for some; account anniversary for others.

Email Servicing Team

I will be going over the 6k limit on my april statement which is on the 25th. The way i understood it was the the 6k per year went into effect this year only after the jan statement. I had done most of my purchases before the january statement so i expect to get 6% at the end of this statement despite going over. If it is what I think, i will still have about 3500 to go at 6%. If its based on renewal date as i've been reading on here then even better as my renewal date is May

My statement printed but it didnt go over the 6000 as it is a month behind. the strange part is that both my march and april statement listed rewards as of your march statement. In my april statement I was billed my annual fee. This was not a new card as i converted it from a different product. so am not sure when my rewards are supposed to get capped? sent an email to cs but who know if i'll get the correct answer, I dont want to pay an annual fee for a card that i cant use at 6% until January as my april purchases will put me over 6000, but if i cancel I'll lose my rewards of $150 for april...

Received response that stated that my 6000 limit begins with my may statement date as i was just charged the annual fee and the 6000 limit resets on 1/1/14. If it happens that they were incorrect, i can always go back to the info they sent as i probably would have changed the card as i hit the 6000 total on my april statement

Emailed wAmex in February to find from which date the 6k limit is calculated. As I posted back in Feb, . I got the response below:

You will continue to earn 6% rewards on all supermarket purchases till ***** (your account renewal date).However, as the reward period is from January- December 2013, the cap of $6,000 will be calculated from 01/01/13 only.So if you have already made supermarket purchases of $6,000 before (****** account date renewal date in 2013), you will earn 1% rewards after this date for the remaining calendar year.

If your email says that the 6k limit resets on account renewal date, wonder which emailer is correct?

Ilovesquash said:   Emailed wAmex in February to find from which date the 6k limit is calculated. As I posted back in Feb, . I got the response below:

You will continue to earn 6% rewards on all supermarket purchases till ***** (your account renewal date).However, as the reward period is from January- December 2013, the cap of $6,000 will be calculated from 01/01/13 only.So if you have already made supermarket purchases of $6,000 before (****** account date renewal date in 2013), you will earn 1% rewards after this date for the remaining calendar year.

If your email says that the 6k limit resets on account renewal date, wonder which emailer is correct?

I'm sorry, but this confusion thing is getting old (not just you but everyone). All you can do is just wait for your anniversary and see.

Good luck though. Hope it'll be in your favor.

vagrants said:   Ilovesquash said:   Emailed wAmex in February to find from which date the 6k limit is calculated. As I posted back in Feb, . I got the response below:

I'm sorry, but this confusion thing is getting old (not just you but everyone). All you can do is just wait for your anniversary and see.

Not old to me. Would be extremely valuable to know the correct implementation of change in terms as it would be worth thousands to know up front vs. after the fact.

chasecheatedme said:   vagrants said:   Ilovesquash said:   Emailed wAmex in February to find from which date the 6k limit is calculated. As I posted back in Feb, . I got the response below:

Not old to me. Would be extremely valuable to know the correct implementation of change in terms as it would be worth thousands to know up front vs. after the fact.

Yeah, for you, sure and rest of the people who had the card before Nov 15, 2012 supposedly.

The unlimited 6% is dead. Stop holding on to it and find something else.

Also, then just report what you found instead of I heard this from a CSR and that from a CSR. Not valuable information at all since they are already here in the thread or scattered in this forum. Sigh...so-called "up front" = nothing more than speculation at this point in the game. And, all you want to do is to utilize other people's info.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I stumbled on some helpful info from American Express. Here is their explicit list of department stores (found here: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/rewards-info/retail.html)
FROM THE SITE:

"You will earn additional rewards ONLY for purchases made in the U.S. at the following list of department stores that accept the card and have these specific names:

Bealls
Belk
Bloomingdale's
Bon Ton Stores
Boscov's
Century 21 Department Stores
Dillard's
J.C. Penney (JCP)
Kohl's
Lord & Taylor
Macy's
Neiman Marcus
Nordstrom
Saks Fifth Avenue
Sears
Stein Mart"

The site also mentions:

"To earn additional rewards on department store purchases, the purchases must be made at a department store that is included on our list of "select major department stores" and is located in the United States."

hope that helps someone else.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014