NEW American Express Blue Cash Cards

Archived From: Finance
  • 127282930 31
  • Page
  • Text Only
jewsus said:   My anniversary date recently passed. I've received all rewards up to now despite my account getting axed :'-( I'll post if I get my last month of rewards when the next statement cuts in 3 weeks.
  Amex capped me a month early.  I called Amex and submitted a ticket to investigate.  I made sure the rep noted that I was told on twitter and through secure message that my rewards would be uncapped until my anniversary date of September xx.  Anyone know what other avenues I should pursue to make sure I get all my rewards?

ProfessorEd said "Is it best to cancel and plan on getting a new card with a bonus for next year (possibly through a spouse application)? Is so, what is the best bonus obtainable?." CreditCards.com still has the 250.CB Amex blue cash pref. sign up bonus. It states "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Blue Cash® Card account within the last 90 days." I suppose this means you could cancel and sign up again thru that site and start fresh. But there is always a credit ding. But 1000 spend for 250Cb is not too bad.

I was updating my spreadsheet I use to keep track of spending/rewards (BCP), and my rewards calculations were low by a few cents. It seems that Amex converted from rounding down to normal rounding for calculating rewards. Switching from ROUNDDOWN to ROUND made it work out to the cent for both my billing statement as well as the real-time rewards tracker. It switched on the opening date of the last billing cycle for me.

The spending chart disappeared from the "Track Reward Dollars" page.  Anybody else see the same thing?

holla said:   The spending chart disappeared from the "Track Reward Dollars" page.  Anybody else see the same thing?
  yes...hoping that isn't permanent.

same here. i'm getting worried. notice that yesterday. anyone else.

it's gotta be a glitch or an update of some type, because i don't have the BCP card (i have the old BC) and it's not on my page either.

You know what...when I click on the "Use Reward Dollars" link, that doesn't work either...it just times out.

Can anyone get to where they can actually even redeem?

BenH said:   You know what...when I click on the "Use Reward Dollars" link, that doesn't work either...it just times out.

I can get in with no issues.

does your reward chart display the category spending.

BenH said:   You know what...when I click on the "Use Reward Dollars" link, that doesn't work either...it just times out.

The only way I could successfully redeem Reward Dollars in the last month or so was to use Internet Explore (eww..) instead of Chrome.  Just FYI.

BenH said:   
holla said:   The spending chart disappeared from the "Track Reward Dollars" page.  Anybody else see the same thing?
  yes...hoping that isn't permanent.

I still have the spending chart.

This could be important because for perhaps a year the redeem rewards has not worked, but I could make redemptions by going here, and then clicking on a redemption link from there.

reward tracker
Disclaimer
So yeah...it turns out that I can access the rewards site via IE, but not through Chrome. This hasn't always been the case and likely coincides with the removal of the spending chart. Just to be clear, the attached graphic is now the only thing that is visible.  There used to be another chart next to it that broke down your spending by category.

While this is inconvenient, I actually in recent months have taken right to the statement.  There is a section entitled "Reward Dollars Summary" at the bottom of your statements.  There it shows the $$ spent on the 5% categories as well as "Other Eligible Purchases."

Remember, that the summary here is the spending from the PREVIOUS month.  So, if you see $108.50 listed under "Other Eligible Purchases" what you want to do is *also* look at last months statement and itemize everything that doesn't fall into the gas/grocery/pharmacy purchases.
Add all of those together and it should add up to $108.50 (or whatever your number is).  This is the most accurate way to ensure that all your charges are getting posted properly.

I use this technique with an excel spreadsheet so you can summarize YTD (or whatever range you want).  Honestly, I don't really care month to month - I just want to make sure that everything from the previous month that should have been categorized as 5% was - and the technique above is the best way to do that.  I found that the old graph, while handy, could sometimes be inaccurate or incomplete based on the date.

BenH said:   So yeah...it turns out that I can access the rewards site via IE, but not through Chrome. This hasn't always been the case and likely coincides with the removal of the spending chart. Just to be clear, the attached graphic is now the only thing that is visible.  There used to be another chart next to it that broke down your spending by category.
That's impressive rewards balance there

The site works fine for me in Firefox. And I can still get the chart you're talking about. On the Account Home screen, on the right it shows Rewards Dollars available balance. Under that I have some rotating ads, and below that is a little text link "TRACK REWARD DOLLARS" (which text for some reason copies to clipboard as "Ways to earn and use rewards (carousal) Select here to Track Reward Dollars"). Clicking this link brings up the chart. The way to access it used to be different, as I too thought I lost access to it, until I found this link.

olegos said:   
The site works fine for me in Firefox. And I can still get the chart you're talking about. On the Account Home screen, on the right it shows Rewards Dollars available balance. Under that I have some rotating ads, and below that is a little text link "TRACK REWARD DOLLARS" (which text for some reason copies to clipboard as "Ways to earn and use rewards (carousal) Select here to Track Reward Dollars"). Clicking this link brings up the chart. The way to access it used to be different, as I too thought I lost access to it, until I found this link.

The way you state to get to the charts - the "TRACK REWARD DOLLARS" is the way I have always accessed the charts. However, now when I click it it only brings up a page with the one chart I included above, and not the additional bar chart that divides spending categories.

Also, I can access that chart page either in Chrome or IE, but when I actually try to redeem rewards (through either that page, or directly from the account page) Chrome doesn't work.

I will try in FF to see if that makes a difference. I'm curious though...those who see the chart and those who do not...what is your rewards balance. Maybe only those of us who have high balances are not getting the chart?

UPDATE:  I can confirm that there is no change using FF, I only get the fuel-gauge style chart of total dollars and not the bar chart of spending by category.

My balance is only $9.20 and I can't see it in IE, chrome, or Opera. I haven't tried FF because my work computer doesn't have it and my personal laptop has a really old version of FF that I'm keeping for unrelated reasons.

Folks I have a couple of questions:

1) I signed up for the Amex BCP Preferred 4 months ago under the Spend $1K in 3 months and get $250 CB. I did the spending but don't see the $250 statement/reward dollars yet. (FYI - I already have a regular BCP card also).

2) I spent about $3K in grocery store. Statement closed, I paid off the balance. Its been about 2 weeks. But my Rewards CB is a BIG FAT ZERO!! Not even 1%. ZERO CB.

How long does the CB take? I am almost certain the store where I spent the $3K is a Superstore (Amex code description for the charges also states it as a grocery store).

How much longer do I wait before contacting Amex CSR?

All of the above was done for wife's card also. Same results. No $250 bonus awarded and no CB either. ZERO Rewards dollars showing in her account also.

Thanks!

Amex posts rewards on the statement after the one in which they earned.

Does anybody know if WalMart is coded as grocery?  How abut Sams club?

kriskos4 said:   Does anybody know if WalMart is coded as grocery?  How abut Sams club?

No on both.  WalMart neighborhood markets do, I have heard.  Have not tried that myself.

kriskos4 said:   Does anybody know if WalMart is coded as grocery?  How abut Sams club?
  Some are.  Look up your local stores here:  https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/search/index.jsp 

^^NM, just realized this is an AmEx thread.^^

anyone's graph updated? that was a neat feature, hope amex don't take it away permanently.

My graph has not stopped working. Currently at $9,000+ in groceries.

On my second BCP statement, I was surprised to see an interest charge, even though I have 0% intro APR.  Based on the amount of interest (under $1), I guess it was on the $75 annual fee (for the previous statement, I paid more than the minimum due, but less than the annual fee).  Is it expected for AMEX and other card issuers that 0% promo rates don't apply to annual fees?

Can a math whiz compare at what spending amount per year it makes sense to move up to blue cash preferred vs the regular no fee card? Any other insightful comparison numbers would help too.

GuP said:   Can a math whiz compare at what spending amount per year it makes sense to move up to blue cash preferred vs the regular no fee card? Any other insightful comparison numbers would help too.
  Did you look at post #4?

GuP said:   Can a math whiz compare at what spending amount per year it makes sense to move up to blue cash preferred vs the regular no fee card? Any other insightful comparison numbers would help too.

If you spend exactly $2500 in grocery purchases annual you will net the same regardless of which card you choose..

Blue Cash Everyday
$2500 @ 3% = $75 Cash Back

Blue Cash Preffered:
$2500 @ 6% = $150 Cash Back - $75 annual fee = $75 net Cash Back

$2500 grocery spend is the cutoff. If you will spend more, you're better off with the preferred. That comes to an average of $208.33 per month. If you don't buy gift cards, etc. AND someone else in your household does most of the grocery shopping then maybe the everyday card would work better.. For many on here, it's a no-brainer to go with the preferred card.

govenar said:   On my second BCP statement, I was surprised to see an interest charge, even though I have 0% intro APR.  Based on the amount of interest (under $1), I guess it was on the $75 annual fee (for the previous statement, I paid more than the minimum due, but less than the annual fee).  Is it expected for AMEX and other card issuers that 0% promo rates don't apply to annual fees?
  0% intro purchase APR.   Annual fee is probably not being categorized as a purchase.

Have anybody truly confirmed whether the 6000 limit starts from the calendar year or from your renewal date ($75 charge date)?  I just had my renewal date (november), and still am getting my 6% back...so I know at least it is not counting my previous spendings of this past year...so if it starts from beginning off year, I guess I should spend $6000 before year end...but if it starts counting from November to November, then I can wait.

Wreptyle said:   Have anybody truly confirmed whether the 6000 limit starts from the calendar year or from your renewal date ($75 charge date)?  I just had my renewal date (november), and still am getting my 6% back...so I know at least it is not counting my previous spendings of this past year...so if it starts from beginning off year, I guess I should spend $6000 before year end...but if it starts counting from November to November, then I can wait.
"An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one that includes January 1st."
https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/member/terms/blue-cash-everyday-credit-card/36182-11-0/#cardbenefits

passion124 said:   

If you spend exactly $2500 in grocery purchases annual you will net the same regardless of which card you choose..

Blue Cash Everyday
$2500 @ 3% = $75 Cash Back

Blue Cash Preffered:
$2500 @ 6% = $150 Cash Back - $75 annual fee = $75 net Cash Back

$2500 grocery spend is the cutoff. If you will spend more, you're better off with the preferred. That comes to an average of $208.33 per month. If you don't buy gift cards, etc. AND someone else in your household does most of the grocery shopping then maybe the everyday card would work better.. For many on here, it's a no-brainer to go with the preferred card.

From the way it is worded, it seems as though the $6000 spending limit is for grocery purchases only, and the 3% for gas purchases and department stores has no limit.  With only 2% on the non-Preferred card on both gas and department stores, savings could be significant more with the Preferred card.  How Cash Back Adds UpEarn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations; 3% Cash Back at select U.S. department stores; and 1% Cash Back on other purchases.

jewsus said:   
jewsus said:   My anniversary date recently passed. I've received all rewards up to now despite my account getting axed :'-( I'll post if I get my last month of rewards when the next statement cuts in 3 weeks.
  Amex capped me a month early.  I called Amex and submitted a ticket to investigate.  I made sure the rep noted that I was told on twitter and through secure message that my rewards would be uncapped until my anniversary date of September xx.  Anyone know what other avenues I should pursue to make sure I get all my rewards?

Did you hear back on your investigation ?

I got this card in early November, and my first statement posted around December 8. I have the $150 credit in my rewards balance, but I still haven't seen anything come of my Cash Back from purchases. How long does this usually take? I'm not in a hurry, just worried I had to activate something and I didn't.

Thanks.

dougan778 said:   I got this card in early November, and my first statement posted around December 8. I have the $150 credit in my rewards balance, but I still haven't seen anything come of my Cash Back from purchases. How long does this usually take? I'm not in a hurry, just worried I had to activate something and I didn't.

Thanks.

Amex doesn't post the Cash Back until the next statement, so about January 8th.

recklessmax said:   
jewsus said:   

Did you hear back on your investigation ?

Yeah, they told me to piss off since they closed all my accounts.

ajcp said:   
dougan778 said:   I got this card in early November, and my first statement posted around December 8. I have the $150 credit in my rewards balance, but I still haven't seen anything come of my Cash Back from purchases. How long does this usually take? I'm not in a hurry, just worried I had to activate something and I didn't.

Thanks.

Amex doesn't post the Cash Back until the next statement, so about January 8th.

And the other thing I noticed is that with the closing of your December statement, your clock resets, and any purchases from Dec 9-31, will count towards your 2014 6k limit.

ETA:  Saw this happen on the feb statement 2013 when they counted the dec 2012 purchases toward the 6k cap.

curtster said:   
Wreptyle said:   Have anybody truly confirmed whether the 6000 limit starts from the calendar year or from your renewal date ($75 charge date)?  I just had my renewal date (november), and still am getting my 6% back...so I know at least it is not counting my previous spendings of this past year...so if it starts from beginning off year, I guess I should spend $6000 before year end...but if it starts counting from November to November, then I can wait.
"An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one that includes January 1st."
https://www304.americanexpress.com/personal-card-application/member/terms/blue-cash-everyday-credit-card/36182-11-0/#cardbenefits

Hmm. I don't know which is correct.

The application says:

An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one that includes January 1st;

My BCP account when I login says:

You will earn a reward of: 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets). An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row starting with the one that begins in January

Krazen1211 said:   
curtster said:   

Hmm. I don't know which is correct.

The application says:

An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one that includes January 1st;

My BCP account when I login says:

You will earn a reward of: 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets). An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row starting with the one that begins in January

Good catch. The poster right before you suggests that the first one is correct and the online account info is wrong.

My interpretation of the numbers I see today (1/1/2014) for my card on the AmEx website is that the $6000 cap resets on January 1, not on a statement period boundary.
When I click TRACK REWARD DOLLARS, it says Qualified Spend Year to Date is $0.  I think when I checked this a couple days ago (in 2013, but after my December statement which closed 12/20) it showed the old total, i.e., it changed on Jan 1 (not immediately after my December statement, nor after my January statement).
And I made a $13 grocery purchase in 2013 after my December statement (after reaching the $6000 cap); the website today says my Available Reward Dollar Balance is higher by 13 cents (1% of $13, not 6%); when I click View Latest Balance Details, it shows the 13 cents under "Adjusted".

I opened my BCP card in September 2013, after the $6000 cap was added; it's possible that other people's cards have different rules.
I guess it's also possible that the website temporarily shows bogus numbers until the next statement closes (e.g., the extra 5% could be added later).

Different places on the website for my card show different terms (statement period that begins in January, statement period that includes January 1st).  But my December 2013 statement says "purchases at U.S. supermarkets in a calendar year".

------ Update after getting my Feb 2014 statement: it looks like the cap really reset in December, so the "beginning with the one that includes January 1st" rule is the right one.  (The 0.13 adjustment I got seems to be just a coincidence that it was 1% of a $13 charge; I think it was really for something unrelated (my statement says "CAT 11535 Rebate Remediation"), and I actually got 6% rewards for the $13 late December charge, counted in the next rewards year.)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014