Speed Camera Ticket

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I received a speed camera ticket this week stating I was going 77 mph in a 65 mph zone. The ticket states there are no points and it cannot be used by insurance companies. The fee is $40. The only way of contesting it is by going to court. I'm considering contesting it because in one of the pictures other vehicles are visible. I received this ticket in Maryland, and the courthouse is probably 45 minutes from my house.

Over the last year and a half I received five speed-camera tickets in Washington DC. However, DC allows for "mail adjudication" of tickets, i.e. you check the box for mail adjudication and write a letter that states your case. Since the DC fines ranged from $125 to $250 I asked for mail adjudication in every single case. My defense was that there were other vehicles in the photos and this could cause a spurious radar reading. Four of the tickets were dismissed and I'm waiting on the fifth -- no court appearance required.

Lest you think I'm a dangerous speeder, the DC tickets were clearly speed traps. I was driving on six to eight lane divided freeways where they drop the speed limit to 40 mph. In most cases they were for going, say 56 in a 40 zone (just keeping up with traffic) even though these are divided freeways. I now know where most of the speed traps are on the route I drive so I haven't received any tickets for about six months.

Maryland does not have mail adjudication and the only way to contest is by going to court. The ticket says I can ask for the "operator" to be present but that he/she is not required to be present. I'm wondering if it's worth contesting this ticket (they make it $40 so no one will contest) because it may actually go on record and be used by insurance companies and the like.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Thanks for all the responses. You can learn a lot on fatwallet.

I'm leaning toward paying the ticket, but everyone should... (more)

Argyll (May. 06, 2011 @ 6:19p) |

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/pdf/TN.707.pdf

This is the actual law, and you have to understand that the ... (more)

RedWolfe01 (May. 06, 2011 @ 8:23p) |

For those still interested, I paid the darn ticket.

Argyll (May. 09, 2011 @ 5:26p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ignore the ticket, they can't do anything in response. They need to have a picture of you driving the car to prove that you were the person committing the crime. Otherwise, they don't have any recourse except perhaps they can turn it over to a collection agency.

I'll never get one of these because my radar detector has GPS warnings for speed cameras... but if I ever do it's going directly to the trash can.

Slow down?

The ticket says "Failure to pay...is an admission of liability and may result in the refusal or suspension of the motor vehicle registration."

RedCelicaGT said:   Slow down?

Too late! The horse is out of the barn. The water's under the bridge. Osama bin-Laden is dead.

Do like the rest of us, take a picture of 2 $20 bills and mail it in.

Joe328 said:   Do like the rest of us, take a picture of 2 $20 bills and mail it in.

I like that one.

There was a lawyer in my locale who got out of a ticket recently because he found a typographical error in the speed camera law, where a 'b' should have been a 'd.'

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/05/03/lawyer-successfully-cha...

You basically have to make a choice, is a day or 1/2 day off work worth $40? I'm in Maryland, too, and haven't been hit by any of these speed cameras, yet, but they're putting more and more in. I know some people that have gotten tickets in Baltimore County coming off of 95 where they reduce the limit from 45 to 25 quickly and dish out tickets all day long for 35-7 in a 25. I've also heard that some of the cameras in MD are under serious question of accuracy because they don't actually Radar or LIDAR cars, but guesstimate speed based on distance traveled, but they do it poorly (http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/33/3387.asp In the end, though, this is of little help to you =/ In the end it's just a choice of if $40 is worth the effort or not. Depending on what state your car is registered in and what their reciprocity with MD is, yes, failing to pay the tickets can lead to you being unable to renew tags or register a new vehicle.
Edit: It appears the article I linked is just an earlier version of the other article posted, so it seems the defense does work. Now, time to see if you can mathematically prove you weren't traveling that speed and it might be worth it to go save yourself $40.

notacrackhead said:   do what this guy did: http://www.neatorama.com/2011/04/21/math-vs-speed-cameras/

Thanks. I think I can use this. I can take the article to court if I go because, in the original article, the company rep says the photos are taken 50 feet down the road from the speed sensors, which means even more room for error when multiple vehicles are in view.

The original article: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/20/business-owner-c...

Same county in which I received my ticket.

Other useful info is that the sensors are set to detect any vehicle exceeding the limit by 12 or more mph.

brettdoyle said:   Ignore the ticket, they can't do anything in response. They need to have a picture of you driving the car to prove that you were the person committing the crime. Otherwise, they don't have any recourse except perhaps they can turn it over to a collection agency.

I'll never get one of these because my radar detector has GPS warnings for speed cameras... but if I ever do it's going directly to the trash can.
You can't be serious, the camera ticket is treated the same way as a ticket written by a cop, as least around here.

I'm in no way saying I agree with the idea of a automated ticket machine, but that's bad advice. Unless, of course, that's your intention to get OP into more trouble.

Where the hell are speeding tickets $40?? I just got one and it was $240. $40 is a parking ticket. Pay it and forget it.

What can they do if you don't pay the ticket? In my city, all they can do is boot your car but they only do that if you have three or more unpaid tickets. I usually ignore parking and camera tickets. If your car isn't registered in Maryland and you have an out-of-state license, they probably can't do anything except send it to collections. In which state is your car registered?

Who is in charge of the speed camera? If it was on a state highway, it's controlled by the state. Otherwise, it's controlled by the city. In which city was the speed camera? (PM me if you don't want to post it). I want to research the appropriate laws.

ZenNUTS said:   You can't be serious, the camera ticket is treated the same way as a ticket written by a cop, as least around here.It's good advice for my city but it might be bad advice for other areas. In many areas, they just treat camera tickets like parking tickets. Most areas do NOT treat them the same as tickets written by cops. Usually, police departments do not inform the DMV of camera tickets.

GPS warnings won't work on the beltway around Baltimore, because the camera is mounted in an suv they move around. If you are in the area watch for the "your speed is" sign ( it displays your speed in lights) mounted with a speed limit sign. You have a couple hundred feet to slow down before the camera. They move the signs when they move the truck. I've never seen the camera truck without the signs. The camera is only supposed to go off if you are more then 12 mph over the limit.

They don't have any evidence OP committed a crime unless they have a picture of him driving the car.

brettdoyle said:   They don't have any evidence OP committed a crime unless they have a picture of him driving the car.

Unless you are a lawyer in THAT state and have actually read the laws that apply to administrative fines I would quit giving bad advice. Its not a "crime" but it is an administrative offense like a noise complaint or walking on the grass.

In Texas speed cameras are not legal but red light cameras are, and the administrative fine goes to whoever the vehicle is registered to. Just like a parking ticket.

If you don't pay then in Texas you can't renew your drivers license, or register your car. Once you get busted driving a car that isn't registered by a real cop don't expect much sympathy -- Plano tends to tow and you get hit for up to $300 for driving, plus you have to pay the admin fine and reregister the car to get it back at whatever nasty daily rates their impound contractor charges.

Plus you are stuck alongside the road, or wherever the cop stopped you.... when they hook your ride up to the tow.

---

so go ahead and ignore that little ticket....

brettdoyle said:   They don't have any evidence OP committed a crime unless they have a picture of him driving the car.It really does vary. Some states treat camera tickets as criminal offenses but most of them treat them as civil violations, similar to parking tickets. A lot of people say that you can't renew your license or registration if you don't pay the camera tickets but I think that's mostly fear mongering.

RedWolfe01 said:   If you don't pay then in Texas you can't renew your drivers license, or register your car. Once you get busted driving a car that isn't registered by a real cop don't expect much sympathy -- Plano tends to tow and you get hit for up to $300 for driving, plus you have to pay the admin fine and reregister the car to get it back at whatever nasty daily rates their impound contractor charges.Do you have any evidence to back that up? I don't see how they could refuse to renew your driver's license since there is no evidence to show who was driving the vehicle. I also doubt that they refuse to renew your registration but it is possible...

ZenNUTS said:   You can't be serious, the camera ticket is treated the same way as a ticket written by a cop, as least around here.

Where is "around here" located? Many places (such as Arizona) do not recognize speed camera tickets the same as the ones written by a cop. That's been one of the main reasons that the cameras turned out to be less "profitable" than expected, as the enforcement abilities are far more restricted. Judging by the language on the ticket (no points, etc.), that is the same case here.

Contest it, and file a lawsuit against them for violating your right to privacy or something along those lines. I mean, do we seriously want to live in the UK, and have cameras on every corner?

Or, just pay the ticket because it's not worth it; sort of a personal decision...

I have a question on this. I have a Texas license but I am now living in British Columbia, Canada. (I go back and for the between BC and TX.)I was in DC for a wedding. I had a rented car. I got a speeding ticket from some company saying they were acting on behalf of the rental agency. The letter said I had a speeding ticket and the fine was $30.00. I wrote back with an address from Texas and said, send me the ticket. 6 months later they sent me the ticket. The photo shows a car, not me. I had a rental and I couldn't tell you if that's the car I had rented. And, now it says the fine is $300. Any suggestions?

fir2 said:   I have a question on this. I have a Texas license but I am now living in British Columbia, Canada. (I go back and for the between BC and TX.)I was in DC for a wedding. I had a rented car. I got a speeding ticket from some company saying they were acting on behalf of the rental agency. The letter said I had a speeding ticket and the fine was $30.00. I wrote back with an address from Texas and said, send me the ticket. 6 months later they sent me the ticket. The photo shows a car, not me. I had a rental and I couldn't tell you if that's the car I had rented. And, now it says the fine is $300. Any suggestions?Don't pay it. If the rental agency doesn't care, there's no reason to pay it. I would only consider paying it if the rental agency was asking for payment.

RushnRockt said:   ZenNUTS said:   You can't be serious, the camera ticket is treated the same way as a ticket written by a cop, as least around here.

Where is "around here" located? Many places (such as Arizona) do not recognize speed camera tickets the same as the ones written by a cop. That's been one of the main reasons that the cameras turned out to be less "profitable" than expected, as the enforcement abilities are far more restricted. Judging by the language on the ticket (no points, etc.), that is the same case here.

Really? I had to fly from LA to Phoenix to fight an AZ speeding camera ticket in court as they refused to let me do traffic school in CA or anything to get it dismissed without points. They told me the only thing i could do is show up to court and ask the judge! It was a 48mph in a 40mph. Such a waste of my time & money but I value a clean lisence.

First thing you should try to find out is what it will cost you if you lose in court because it will easily be more than $40.

Once you know the downside you can make an informed decision.

I know several people who have tried contesting them in court. It is no good. You will still end up paying the $40. Pay up, vote agaist the pro speed camera folks. It is not for road saftey it is a driving tax in large parts of MD particularly montgomery county and baltimore county. Brake if you see any of these things in MD lines perpendicular to travel along the road, flashes of light in front of you, one of those your speed is signs on the opposite side of teh road, or a white truck with a lot of antena on the side of the road.

brettdoyle said:   They don't have any evidence OP committed a crime unless they have a picture of him driving the car.

So I can ignore parking tickets because they don't have a picture of me parking my car?

kiasuchick said:   RushnRockt said:   ZenNUTS said:   You can't be serious, the camera ticket is treated the same way as a ticket written by a cop, as least around here.

Really? I had to fly from LA to Phoenix to fight an AZ speeding camera ticket in court as they refused to let me do traffic school in CA or anything to get it dismissed without points. They told me the only thing i could do is show up to court and ask the judge! It was a 48mph in a 40mph. Such a waste of my time & money but I value a clean lisence.

I got one in Phoenix and they let me do traffic school online. I do not live in PHX and lived in CA at the time.

I think part of the reason that speed camera tickets are only $40 in MD is that they know that most people with real jobs will never waste time contesting them. Same reason that the BS parking tickets I've gotten (I admit I've gotten some I deserved, but I've also received a couple that were flat out fraudulent) were for the lowest possible amount.

The fact that they don't have a picture of the driver in the car doesn't matter. If it's registered to you you're responsible, the driver thing just means you don't get any points on your license. Ignore Brettdoyle's advice, if it really were that easy then nobody would be paying those tickets. The legislators in the General Assembly want their money, they wrote the law in a way that enables the state to collect.

You seriously need to get a radar detector if legal in your state.

This is what you get when you let kids stay up late.

0AfterRebates said:   You seriously need to SLOW DOWN in your state.

Corrected....

caterpillar123 said:   brettdoyle said:   They don't have any evidence OP committed a crime unless they have a picture of him driving the car.It really does vary. Some states treat camera tickets as criminal offenses but most of them treat them as civil violations, similar to parking tickets. A lot of people say that you can't renew your license or registration if you don't pay the camera tickets but I think that's mostly fear mongering.

RedWolfe01 said:   If you don't pay then in Texas you can't renew your drivers license, or register your car. Once you get busted driving a car that isn't registered by a real cop don't expect much sympathy -- Plano tends to tow and you get hit for up to $300 for driving, plus you have to pay the admin fine and reregister the car to get it back at whatever nasty daily rates their impound contractor charges.Do you have any evidence to back that up? I don't see how they could refuse to renew your driver's license since there is no evidence to show who was driving the vehicle. I also doubt that they refuse to renew your registration but it is possible...

Which part? I don't have evidence of someone being towed for it, but the state law governing camera tickets is pretty clear. Its non-judicial, max fine $75, your right to appeal is heard by the officer that has to sign the fine after reviewing the video tapes. (it costs $25 more if you lose the appeal) If you refuse to pay you go on a database for registration/drivers license. As far as I know there isn't a lawyer that will touch these. Their websites all say just to pay it because they would charge more than the fine.

Texas new laws They used to send it to collections and hence onto your credit report, but that was stopped in its tracks.

One part that I didn't know was that they are not allowed to compel out of state owners to pay them. (just did a quick google, and found this one -- I read up on it last year as I got 2 tickets over a few weeks.)

Argyll said:   I received a speed camera ticket this week stating I was going 77 mph in a 65 mph zone. The ticket states there are no points and it cannot be used by insurance companies. The fee is $40. The only way of contesting it is by going to court. I'm considering contesting it because in one of the pictures other vehicles are visible. I received this ticket in Maryland, and the courthouse is probably 45 minutes from my house.

Over the last year and a half I received five speed-camera tickets in Washington DC. However, DC allows for "mail adjudication" of tickets, i.e. you check the box for mail adjudication and write a letter that states your case. Since the DC fines ranged from $125 to $250 I asked for mail adjudication in every single case. My defense was that there were other vehicles in the photos and this could cause a spurious radar reading. Four of the tickets were dismissed and I'm waiting on the fifth -- no court appearance required.

Lest you think I'm a dangerous speeder, the DC tickets were clearly speed traps. I was driving on six to eight lane divided freeways where they drop the speed limit to 40 mph. In most cases they were for going, say 56 in a 40 zone (just keeping up with traffic) even though these are divided freeways. I now know where most of the speed traps are on the route I drive so I haven't received any tickets for about six months.

Maryland does not have mail adjudication and the only way to contest is by going to court. The ticket says I can ask for the "operator" to be present but that he/she is not required to be present. I'm wondering if it's worth contesting this ticket (they make it $40 so no one will contest) because it may actually go on record and be used by insurance companies and the like.
5 in a year and a half....obviously you need to slow down!

My wife is a speeder and she gets at least 2 of those per year. Colorado has them too and it is cheaper to just pay up. Also the picture I get (I do our mail and pay the bills) are very clear front and back with her very visible.
Its not worth our time to go to court and I just pay them (40$). All the research I did showed that not paying them and not showing up in court will eventually load to trouble.
Nothing ever showed on her license.

$40 and no points? Pay and be happy. I just got one in CA for going 40 in a 25. Total ticket was $240, +$30 for the OPTION of going to traffic school, +$30 again to ENROLL in traffic school.

court costs >>>>>> $40

brettdoyle said:   Ignore the ticket, they can't do anything in response. They need to have a picture of you driving the car to prove that you were the person committing the crime. Otherwise, they don't have any recourse except perhaps they can turn it over to a collection agency.

Many states have fixed that loophole. In my state, the traffic camera citation is a civil infration not a criminal infraction. They do not have to prove who was driving. As the owner of the vehicle, you are getting a citation for having your vehicle involved in the commission of a crime (speeding).

RedCelicaGT said:   Slow down
Whhhhhaaaaaattttttt dooooooooeeeeeeessssss aaaaaaaaaaaaaa yeeeeeeeellllllllllooooooooowwwwwww liiiiiigggggggttttttt meeeeeeeeeaaaaaaannnnnnn?

Go to 4:08 in the video....

caterpillar123 said:   brettdoyle said:   They don't have any evidence OP committed a crime unless they have a picture of him driving the car.It really does vary. Some states treat camera tickets as criminal offenses but most of them treat them as civil violations, similar to parking tickets. A lot of people say that you can't renew your license or registration if you don't pay the camera tickets but I think that's mostly fear mongering.

I live in the same area and can attest that this is true. They don't mess around... Keep in mind though, these are red light cameras, not speeding cameras. There are a lot fewer variables involved. That being said, if I were given a $40 ticket for going 12 over in a 65, I'd pay up and carry a sack lunch for the next week to make up for the loss. Unless you get a thrill out of fighting the courts and/or law enforcement officials, there's no point in contesting this...

Skipping 18 Messages...
For those still interested, I paid the darn ticket.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014