• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just called Wells Fargo and they do offer it for their customers, but only for WF-related documents.

The reason I wanted to know if any banks offer this for free is b/c I'm signing up for the PenFed VISA card, which offers 5% Cash Back on gas purchases, but in order to put my wife on the account, I was asked to have her fill out a guarantor's statement form and have it notarized. Normally this costs at least $10 but I was told some banks do it for free.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If this thread were to useful to OP and anyone else, for those who were able to obtain free notary services, it would be... (more)

glxpass (May. 09, 2011 @ 9:17p) |

My town's public library offers free notary services. I believe many city town halls do the same.

xchange55 (May. 10, 2011 @ 12:16a) |

I've had 53rd bank do both regular notary and medallion work for free with and I just had a checking account.

elist (May. 10, 2011 @ 8:36a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

ablang said:   I just called Wells Fargo and they do offer it for their customers, but only for WF-related documents.

The reason I wanted to know if any banks offer this for free is b/c I'm signing up for the PenFed VISA card, which offers 5% Cash Back on gas purchases, but in order to put my wife on the account, I was asked to have her fill out a guarantor's statement form and have it notarized. Normally this costs at least $10 but I was told some banks do it for free.
Why would you want to add her to your account? If something goes wrong with the account, her credit will be screwed up along with yours. Just make her an authorized user, or have her open her own account.

AAA does it for free for members, very fast and convinient

Penfed does it for members for free for any document. I've notarized car titles there all the time. But, make sure you know what they are supposed to write on your documents. I've had notaries just blindly notarize any document I give them and then the DMV tells me wonderful things, like, "Sir, the notary needs to write his NAME on this, not just sign and stamp it!"

I would imagine that this is something that any credit union would offer for any member free of charge. Dump Wells Fargo so that you can learn how banking SHOULD be. It is beyond me how people continue to be raped on fees by the big banks when there are plenty of better alternatives. Every non credit union I have ever banked with had ridiculous fees.

Citibank (Citigold at least).

Chase does it for free as well.. One reason why $5 of every paycheck gets dd there! FYI, they often ask if you have an acct but I have never seen them verify ...

Check with your auto/homeowners insurance agent - many of them do it for free.

Our credit union does and I believe most credit unions will do it for free for members.

Banok of america does it for free as well, at least 2 years ago.

If your bank does not do it free, take your money somewhere else and tell them the reason you are leaving

My suntrust bank does

cu

PNC and Chase do for customers.

It may vary from branch to branch. I have gotten free notary service from Wells Fargo in the past year on a non-WF paper. All I had to do was prove I had an account there.

TDBank

sensia said:   Banok of america does it for free as well, at least 2 years ago.

As of 2 weeks ago.

be careful, before you run to BoA/Chase or Citi for free notary. I pinged all three for a notary of a marriage related document and all three said they can't do that. They said they can only notarize specific type of documents. eventually I had to take it to regular paid notary.

credit unions more likely to offer this than banks i think

ish256 said:   PNC and Chase do for customers.

If I have the Chase Freedom VISA CC but no longer have bank accounts at Chase, does that still count as me being a customer?

patch96 said:   If your bank does not do it free, take your money somewhere else and tell them the reason you are leaving
This is horrible advice. In my area, none of the major banks offer free notary services. Nor does my local CU. I'd hardly leave a profitable relationship (to me) with a bank or CU just because they didn't offer notary services -- free or otherwise. A bank's policy might vary by location. For example, none of my local Bank of America branches (in CA) offer notary services, yet I've heard back East some do.

On a more productive note, some libraries offer free notary services. The AAA suggestion was great, but I suspect this also might vary according to your location.

You can also look at small, community-based banks or CUs as possibilities.

Did you call your own bank? I don't think our bank (5/3 in Michigan) advertises this, but they do offer the service.

US bank does!

It depends on the state as well. For Chase in NJ you can get a notary there without being a customer. Other states require you to be a customer. Plus the bank has discretion over what documents they notarize. Technically they can restrict it to Chase specific documents but I've seen people get almost anything notarized at long as it's in English.

If you're a college student, campuses typically have multiple (free) on-campus notaries. One of my schools had at least three in just one building...

In addition to campuses, there are multiple notaries within my office where I work and you can ask them to notarize your documents as well.

VK11 said:   AAA does it for free for members, very fast and convinientNot free unless Premier

Key Bank does it for all of their customers. But yes, fewer banks are offering it. I used to be able to go into any WaMu branch, but now they're Chase and it's not available at all branches.

chase, DMV, and city government center do it for free

I finally got an email response back from my local credit union:

"Thank you for your email. All branches have notary services available. The fee for non-Golden 1 documents is $10 per signature."

The very small bank in town where I have an account (MidCountry Bank) does it cheerfully. I'll bet smaller banks are more likely to provide this service for free than the behemoths.

sounds like ymmv for big banks. contrary to other reports above, my local Chase said they would only notarize Chase related documents. it was a WaMu before, and had the same policy then also.

Believe it or not, your local police department will probably do it. The ones around me do.

The last time I needed something notarized, I got it done at an independent packing/mailing store near me. It cost me a grand total of $2. Unless your time is worthless it may be cheaper just to pay someone than try to find a place that can do it for free...

my credit union also did mine for free. (real estate property valuation dispute form)

ablang said:   I finally got an email response back from my local credit union:

"Thank you for your email. All branches have notary services available. The fee for non-Golden 1 documents is $10 per signature."

I wonder what state this is, since the price for Notary services is preset by the State here in NJ and set pretty low too IIRC. I am a notary and do it for free at Sovereign Bank for customers, but the state max charge is something in the neighborhood of $2-3 dollars. I have never charged for Notary services, otherwise I would be sure of the charges.

TheBigGuy said:   ablang said:   I finally got an email response back from my local credit union:

I wonder what state this is, since the price for Notary services is preset by the State here in NJ and set pretty low too IIRC.

This is California. Ten dollars is a common rate here and a part of the revenue mix for many independent mailbox centers here.

Rasheed

Wells Fargo does it for free for me

wxl31 said:   Citibank (Citigold at least).

No Citigold status required. You just have to be a customer.

Skipping 11 Messages...
I've had 53rd bank do both regular notary and medallion work for free with and I just had a checking account.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014