• 14 5 67812
  • Page
  • Text Only
gargam3l said:   I'm in for *zero*.

The reason: Why spend $50 to help a struggling cat, when healthy ones can be saved in larger numbers

This thread is about how to get an injured animal healed, not how to most efficiently donate to cat charities. Those who donated wanted to help this specific one, that op hit and injured.

From the op:
" what is your advice, people? What is a way for a true Fatwaller to have his/her animal fixed for the smallest money possible? "

when you are directly responsible for hurting someone/something , you try to make it right. Op wasn't asking how to help the most cats and get the best cat/$ ratio. (although this story could indeed help more cats if it goes viral)

If you break a Childs toy or video game, you don't tell the child "I am going to donate to needy children rather than replace your game , since it will help more people than just you , and for less cost than getting your game replaced".

And as I said before , it's not an either/or proposition. If you prefer donating to organizations , do it. If you want to directly help op, do it. Do both if you like.

Remember, Op did not ask for any Monetary assistance . The people who have pleged to donated did so freely, and no one has even encouraged others to donate. If it isn't your thing, that's cool.

diamente said:   I am going to alert mod to:

1. nominate this post as the post of the year for being so heartwarming and caring. It provides inspiration for what Fatwallet can do to bring out the goodness out of people.
2. Have an option to donate FatCash to charities of our choosing or from a list of charities.
3. Give medals to members who are generous.
etc.

in the event of adversity, it is great to FW community come together to help out. We might go to FW to save money but that money saved goes toward helping others in need.

I like the idea of donating CashBack to a non-profit organization or any type of good cause.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   This thread is about helping this specific one, that op hit and injured.

From the op:
" what is your advice, people? What is a way for a true Fatwaller to have his/her animal fixed for the smallest money possible? "

when you are directly responsible for hurting someone/something , you try to make it right. Op wasn't asking how to help the most cats and get the best cat/$ ratio. (although this story could indeed help more cats if it goes viral)

If you break a Childs toy or video game, you don't tell the child "I am going to donate to needy children rather than replace your game , since it will help more people than just you , and for less cost than getting your game replaced".

And as I said before , it's not an either/or proposition. If you prefer donating to organizations , do it. If you want to directly help op, do it. Do both if you like.

Remember, Op did not ask for any Monetary assistance . The people who have pleged to donated did so freely, and no one has even encouraged others to donate. If it isn't your thing, that's cool.

How does it benefit the victim to make sure the donations are not tax-deductible? I get the impression you don't fully understand what I said.

Filtering the money through a charity promotes the OPs objective (saving him money), and then some. What you're suggesting forces the contributions to be capped at the actual cost of this one cat, and simultaneously giving up the benefit of tax breaks. If the OP filters through a charity, tax efficiency is maximized, on top of fixing the one cat, and as an added bonus the excess goes to a charitable cause. Moreover, contributions increase when they are tax-deductible, because some are quite happy to also donate their tax savings to the cause, in effect.

What charity would turn down potentially 4 figures in donations that come with a stipulation of a 3 figure expense?

depalma13 said:   
Let me explain something to you. Televison crews do not show up to take pictures of every stray cat that goes into a shelter. They show up when there is a story behind it. This cat has a story. If this story gets out, which I believe it will, than the sky is the limit. Millions of people can and will want to help the cat. The number of donations will skyrocket.

My thesis capitalizes on this. It supports everything I've said.

depalma13 said:   
The will either send those donations to the OP and he will direct them to a charity or those people will send money to their local shelter.

This approach is a bit messy. Someone has already suggested spending the excess on this one cat, buying it cat treats. There might even be enough to buy the cat a lifetime supply of it's favorite food, or a outdoor cat house (with heating). Some might want a proportional refund after costs are paid, while others might favor sending it to a charity. It's messy. If you structure it so all contributions go directly to a charity, and the charity then must save Lipless as a stipulation, then there's no debate, and the impact is maximized.

depalma13 said:   
Helping this cat will do far more to help save animals in shelters than putting it down.

Only if it's done in the way that I've suggested. The other options on the table fail to maximize on the effect of saving "Lipless".

depalma13 said:   
The problem is, and it happens so many times, is some people can't see the forest for the trees

Or one might focus on just saving one cat, and see the forest for a single tree, and in the end only achieve saving one cat.

Have you ever heard of Barbaro?

Millions were spent to save that one horse. Multi-millions were donated to help thousands of horses because of him.

If the horse didn't breakdown on national television, numerous charities would not have benefitted.

You simply do not understand the power of the media and the power of a story.

Op never asked for help. People offered because they chose too. Our world is full of news of horrific crimes, high unemployment, war, nuclear disasters, etc. and we feel powerless, this actually makes people feel like they can do some good even on a small scale. Shame on those who respond negative.

If you don't want to give then don't. But don't berate Op for caring about this cat or those who want to give.

germanpope said:   gargam3l said:   And here's the other thing.. the OP has enough compassion that he's going to bridge the difference in the medical bill (we know this because he wasn't asking for donations in the first place), so your 10 dollars or whatever is better off going to a cat charity.

did you miss the part of the post above regarding the death penalty?

LOL once again you can donate to anyone or anything you want your free to choose. People who have chosen to help this cat did so freely. So let the lipless cat have a chance at life.

depalma13 said:   Have you ever heard of Barbaro?

Millions were spent to save that one horse. Multi-millions were donated to help thousands of horses because of him.

If the horse didn't breakdown on national television, numerous charities would not have benefitted.

You simply do not understand the power of the media and the power of a story.
I'm not sure why you're still struggling with this concept. Why do you have difficulty connecting the role of a charity with leveraging the power of a good story? Having a compelling story is only part of the equation. If you don't facilitate the reaction properly, you fail to mirror Barbaro's case -- and it leaves you with one very well pampered kitty with more kitty treats than it can consume, and that's all. If you do it right, then you can leverage the power of the story to increase the impact of the reaction.

As it stands, the OP intends to refund the excess, which fails to help thousands as you seem to think it will.

gargam3l said:   
Filtering the money through a charity promotes the OPs objective (saving him money), and then some. What you're suggesting forces the contributions to be capped at the actual cost of this one cat, and simultaneously giving up the benefit of tax breaks. If the OP filters through a charity, tax efficiency is maximized, on top of fixing the one cat, and as an added bonus the excess goes to a charitable cause. Moreover, contributions increase when they are tax-deductible, because some are quite happy to also donate their tax savings to the cause, in effect.

What charity would turn down potentially 4 figures in donations that come with a stipulation of a 3 figure expense?

That entails (quickly) finding a charity willing to do this. Are you going to volunteer to find a charity in ops area willing to do that ? Seems like it would take a few hours at the least

Op has a day job and limited time to contact the local university vet program, let alone scout the area for other vets who might do it at lower or no cost for the publicity , or to find a nonprofit willing to consummate the idea you propose....

Certainly there are lower cost alternatives, but time and effort needed is also an issue

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   
That entails (quickly) finding a charity willing to do this.

It doesn't. The surgery is next week. The charity can be put in place after the surgery if it were to come to that. But it shouldn't, because animal charities are usually open on the weekend (that's when people are out shopping, and easily distracted by a cage full of homeless animals sitting outside the entrance of a shopping area). Plus a vet need not invoice in advance. Of course, the charity who can act quickly will have a competitive advantage and win the deal, and rightly so.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   
Are you going to volunteer to find a charity in ops area willing to do that ? Seems like it would take a few hours at the least

Are you saying I would need to, in order for the idea to be workable? No one has the time or energy (just money) to help Lipless?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   
find a nonprofit willing to consummate the idea you propose....

Do you think it will be difficult to find a charity willing to accept 4-5 figures, at the cost of spending ~$500? And you're so convinced that charities are that incompetent, that it's not even worth anyones effort to inquire?

catanpirate said:   
I hope folks are as generous with fellow human beings!

Human beings have a right to life, and therefore social structures in place (ss, health insurance, laws prohibiting hospitals from not helping someone in a life-threatening situation), whereas animals have none of this.. animals must rely solely on voluntary charitable causes. So, I would hope to see more generosity toward animals.

Regarding what someone said a couple of pages ago....

PLEASE DO NOT DE-CLAW YOUR CAT.

It's the same as taking off YOUR fingers at the first knuckle.

We have 6...er....7 now, all strays, and I have Sony & KLIPSCH speakers, yet they've left them alone since we have scratching posts and mats in almost every room.

I BEG you not to ever de-claw a cat.

Hopefully it's unnecessary for me to say this, but do not circumcise the cat either.. even if the donations leave you with plenty of credit for extra health care.

(edit)
Nevermind.. I just recalled the cat is female.

shopper711 said:   Is it possible that the cat is deaf? Normally, cats move when a vehicle approaches to them.

I am in for $25. Thank you for your kindness and willingness to tend to this cat's needs.

that's what I thought at first, can't imagine a cat staying still that long while such a large object approaches them.

OP if the surgery goes well and kitty has a long healthy life, ask the vet doc (if you haven't already) to test her hearing, so she doesn't get ran over again.

the lip thing is the cutest!... gonna post her pic at Lolcats and let the captions begin

HKnight said:   You're not looking for financial advice. Purely financial advice would be to spend the least amount possible: put the cat to sleep, which would have been free. But now you've claimed ownership and have the responsibilities associated with that. So now the best financial decision is to pay $40 to put the cat to sleep. If you're looking for any other discussion, I suggest that this thread is more appropriate for the "Off Topic" forum.

I love how people sugarcoat killing an animal by saying "put the cat to sleep", LOL! Really, when is it going to wake up?

While I laugh at the wording, I do agree with the underlying message, put the cat in "la-la land" (shoot it) to rid it of it's misery and you of your financial misery.

I hope this isn't some kind of scam just to get money from sympathetic animal lovers.

Suggestion: let the cat go and donate the money to organizations that help people like The Ronald McDonald House.

On a side note, I had to laugh at how you put the injured cat in a box to suffer the rest of the night and I'm amazed others haven't ripped you a new one for that (it's ok to kill baby humans but hurt a cat? big no no). Also, who are you to decide that the animal should be butchered even further by having it spade? I thought animals were supposed to have rights or is it that they only have the rights that humans decide they should have?

solution
Disclaimer
25 cents.

... FWF sure are generous for kitties... My next thread; Fictional Kitty Injury Tales for Fun & Profit

Softpaws are another option for claws. Also, very stylish.

OP sorry to state the obvious, but when you check around other places for surgery estimates, don't say "my cat", say that you accidentally injured a "stray" and want to make it right to the cat instead of putting her down.

You have some friends who are all chipping in to help this happen. So you would appreciate any break they can give you on the surgery bill.

If you feel more comfortable sticking to the first place you went to, tell them the same thing, even though it is now "registered" to you as the owner, they do know the history, and even if they cut you a 10-20% discount, it could be well worth it.

JTFH said:   25 cents.

... FWF sure are generous for kitties... My next thread; Fictional Kitty Injury Tales for Fun & Profit

Here's how we'll work it. You weave the sob story. I generously offer to kick in $100. Since you didn't ask for money, the others are confindent that they should help too.

j/k

johnm4 said:   JTFH said:   25 cents.

Here's how we'll work it. You weave the sob story. I generously offer to kick in $100. Since you didn't ask for money, the others are confindent that they should help too.

j/k

this forum does more than its share of putting trolls through the meat grinder --- pretty sure this is not a troll thread

--- and your j/k generalization/joke about the thread is actually not very funny at all given the context that you just want to crap on something that is pretty cool

germanpope said:   
this forum does more than its share of putting trolls through the meat grinder --- pretty sure this is not a troll thread

--- and your j/k generalization/joke about the thread is actually not very funny at all given the context that you just want to crap on something that is pretty cool

Relax buddy. I think the thread is pretty cool too and I commend the OP and members chipping in to help. I'm not thread crapping - the j/k was intended for people who would have otherwise taken what I said as anything other than lighthearted.

If you can't keep the cat, find a no kill animal shelter. They will take care of the cat for life if it isn't adopted. That said, if you can keep it (indoors) it will have a much better life.

johnm4 said:   germanpope said:   

Relax buddy. I think the thread is pretty cool too and I commend the OP and members chipping in to help. I'm not thread crapping - the j/k was intended for people who would have otherwise taken what I said as anything other than lighthearted.

it was actually JTFH's post with the bullet that I think went a bit far --- you might have just inadvertantly encouraging him

I am not quite as attached to cats as some other here might be --- but I am sensitive to the fact the some humans see animals in the same regard as children --- and I don't think that is such a bad thing

ElephantNest said:   Regarding what someone said a couple of pages ago....

PLEASE DO NOT DE-CLAW YOUR CAT.

It's the same as taking off YOUR fingers at the first knuckle.

We have 6...er....7 now, all strays, and I have Sony & KLIPSCH speakers, yet they've left them alone since we have scratching posts and mats in almost every room.

I BEG you not to ever de-claw a cat.

How do you feel about song-birds?

mmaf said:   wp746911 said:   kill the cat and send the money to help human beings who are dying from starvation?

man that's rude. she is a poor cat. Think if you were that cat.

Hey I am a cat lover-I own a cat and love it and treat it right-gets its shots, etc. But I guess I draw the line at expensive surgeries. IMHO there are too many humans who need our help to run around replacing hips in pets (like my inlaws did- something like 10k spent). I certainly don't really disapprove of anyone doing this, and it is pretty great seeing FW members donate money.

Kudos OP and fwf. Please don't declaw.

$10 more to my humane society, a great place where we got our 2 cats.

PS - it can be next to impossible to get an older cat adopted at a shelter, so try finding it a family privately if possible.

OP can you talk with a plastic surgeon about reconstructing the cat's lip? I will donate $50 towards the reconstruction of the cat's lip if you post the bill here for the plastic surgery.

STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   OP can you talk with a plastic surgeon about reconstructing the cat's lip? I will donate $50 towards the reconstruction of the cat's lip if you post the bill here for the plastic surgery.

naw the lip thing makes it unique. get a better ROI if we invest in a boob job and put her on the pole... she is a stray after all

i feel human can take care of themselves, whereas animals really can't. On top of that, virtually all animal abuses like
bear bile farming (check out www.animalsasia.org)
bear dancing (http://www.wspa-international.org/)

are caused by human so we have an even more obligation to help them to undo the wrongs done by the human.

gargam3l said:   catanpirate said:   

Human beings have a right to life, and therefore social structures in place (ss, health insurance, laws prohibiting hospitals from not helping someone in a life-threatening situation), whereas animals have none of this.. animals must rely solely on voluntary charitable causes. So, I would hope to see more generosity toward animals.

This story (and the generosity of FWF members) touched me, even though I'm allergic to cats! $100 to my local humane society, where I got my adorable house rabbit.

I have two cats myself. I'm grunching here, but if you intend to keep the cat, I can chip in $25 by paypal, no need to wait for the surgery, pm me your paypal details and I'll send you the payment. If you're running at a surplus, use the money for spaying/neutering/cat food/cat toys/cat furniture (I recommend afelix cat scratch post if you're looking for a post that your cat will use instead of the carpet).

Aren't there any humane society run animal hospitals in your area? If you keep the cat alive, you just adopted a cat.

Our two beautiful daughters came from a shelter. Adoption fee was $100 with a $50 rebate when you got them spayed. Best rebate I never filled out

gargam3l said:   catanpirate said:   

Humans don't have a right...it's a privileged that we are able to have health insurance and ss. Animals have health insurance by the humans who own them as a choice. Poor people can't afford health insurance so they are on insurance that OUR tax dollars pay for... just like stray animals. They can't afford it so we should take our money to help them out. Animals have the right to live too. Animals aren't rapists, serial killers, con artists, or child molesters.. They have a right to live more than those people do. Our tax dollars are going towards prisons with all those people in them...why? They should go towards animal shelters to save the lives of animals.

You are doing the right thing by helping the cat. It's tough to part with that much money but you'll feel very good once you do. What is money for if not for supporting life? If you can't or don't want to keep the cat after surgery, a cat rescue agency should take her off your hands and find her a home.

Just created a new account and got this duplicate post. Sorry about that.

christoj879 said:   Our two beautiful daughters came from a shelter. Adoption fee was $100 with a $50 rebate when you got them spayed. Best rebate I never filled out

Thanks for the reminder. I just now donated $200 to Clinico thanks to your post

@JTFH - A bullet? That's your solution? It's not funny. If you're not intending to be funny, then that makes quite a statement about your respect for life, or lack thereof.

Standby, people. I think I might have injured a bass while trying to catch-and-release it. Get your paypal accounts ready! I'm calling the vet, the DNR and the U.S. Coast Guard for estimates on surgically repairing a gill! This thread is the Finance Forum at its best!

MelissaAnne said:   gargam3l said:   catanpirate said:   

Humans don't have a right...it's a privileged that we are able to have health insurance and ss. Animals have health insurance by the humans who own them as a choice. Poor people can't afford health insurance so they are on insurance that OUR tax dollars pay for... just like stray animals. They can't afford it so we should take our money to help them out. Animals have the right to live too. Animals aren't rapists, serial killers, con artists, or child molesters.. They have a right to live more than those people do. Our tax dollars are going towards prisons with all those people in them...why? They should go towards animal shelters to save the lives of animals.

Animals are the worst rapists!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NTYeRg5Dg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gzH-Gx5Bt0

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014