• 123 4 512
  • Page
  • Text Only
Xiru said:   Seriously, let's be reasonable. How many of you has donated that much money to help PEOPLE?? I'll chip in 50 bucks to a local charity if you agree to give all this money to help PEOPLE, not a cat. 77RUS: trust me, look at a hungry person having food, a person with cancer hoping a better future for other sick folks, a child getting a better education or whatever makes sense for you as a charity...You'll forget the cat.

If the OP had run over a stray human, they would have been given free health care whether they could afford it or not.
Its awesome to see everyone come together on this.

Xiru said:    77RUS: trust me, look at a hungry person having food, a person with cancer hoping a better future for other sick folks, a child getting a better education or whatever makes sense for you as a charity...You'll forget the cat.

77RUS didnt run over a hungry person, or someone with cancer. He ran over this poor, unattractive, lipless stray cat. If the cat had an owner, OP would be held financially responsible, and would either be facing a lawsuit or having his auto insurance pay the vet bills. Because the cat is a stray and has no owner, there is no one to advocate for the cat, no one will be filing a claim against OP's insurance, and its up to 77RUS.

He posted about the financial dilemma of spending so much money on a stray cat. FWF members took away the financial dilemma, so the best decision can be freely made, without cost playing a factor in the decision. The best decision may still be to put the cat down, but at least now OP can make the decision without the cloud of costs swaying the decision.

This smells like another one of those PETA lawyer entrapment scams. Data-mining contact info. from all of you big-hearted paypal donors just to turn around and slap you all with cruelty to animals charges. I mean, clearly, this poor feline set out to take her own life--lying down on the center line to slip peacefully from cold, hard pavement to kitty-Bliss in the afterlife...as is often the case, things didn't quite work out as planned. And now, your "kindness" is depriving her of the eternal peace she sought and perpetuating the living hell she's had to endure far too long. Juries eat this stuff up.

This is better than the Saturn bear of old.

OP:
I posted a link to this thread on Reddit. You can find the topic here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/hwvez/can_anyone_near_birmingham_al_help_find_a_home/
Perhaps there is someone near Birmingham who would be willing to take her in.
If you'd post your email address in the quick summary, it may help non FWers contact you.

what the heck send me your paypal info , I'll send $10

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Xiru said:    77RUS: trust me, look at a hungry person having food, a person with cancer hoping a better future for other sick folks, a child getting a better education or whatever makes sense for you as a charity...You'll forget the cat.

77RUS didnt run over a hungry person, or someone with cancer. He ran over this poor, unattractive, lipless stray cat. If the cat had an owner, OP would be held financially responsible, and would either be facing a lawsuit or having his auto insurance pay the vet bills. Because the cat is a stray and has no owner, there is no one to advocate for the cat, no one will be filing a claim against OP's insurance, and its up to 77RUS.

He posted about the financial dilemma of spending so much money on a stray cat. FWF members took away the financial dilemma, so the best decision can be freely made, without cost playing a factor in the decision. The best decision may still be to put the cat down, but at least now OP can make the decision without the cloud of costs swaying the decision.

Are you sure he would financially responsible? I recently hit a stray cat and was told by a police officer that my only obligation was to stop and report the issue to the local animal authorities. They didn't even take my info when I reported it. I ended up paying for veterinary services at a local vet out of pocket, but I wanted to be clear of my legal obligation before doing so.

All of you people saying to put the cat down and not even trying to allow this cat to LIVE...if any of you are ever suffering, get hit by a car, have a health problem or anything...don't expect someone to help you. Just because we are humans doesn't make us the better species. Animals show compassion better than most of us do. Cats can be our best friends. They always know when you're upset. My cats have licked the tears off my face numerous times. I would do EVERYTHING I could to save one of my animal friends. You people that say kill it just because it's a couple hundred dollars for a stray cat...have no heart.

I just posted copies of the today’s exam receipt and the estimate for the upcoming surgery. I have removed the personal data but unedited copies are sent to 5 folks that sent me money (steve.*****@gmail.com domain****@msn.com ryan****@gmail.com claudiu****@hotmail.com gmo****@gmail.com)
and will be emailed to all folks later on. No matter what the cat is getting the surgery done and I will update the thread with the final receipt. The type of the surgery is “Femoral head ostectomy”.
Please see more here about this surgery
I don’t know if the cat needs to be neutered – she is always outside and was never pregnant so she may be neutered already but I don’t know for sure. I will be happy to get all the vaccination for the cat.
I will post the pictures of the cat tomorrow – it is too dark now to take pictures without flash and I don’t want to bother her.
Thank you again, dear FW people

MelissaAnne said:   All of you people saying to put the cat down and not even trying to allow this cat to LIVE...if any of you are ever suffering, get hit by a car, have a health problem or anything...don't expect someone to help you. Just because we are humans doesn't make us the better species. Animals show compassion better than most of us do. Cats can be our best friends. They always know when you're upset. My cats have licked the tears off my face numerous times. I would do EVERYTHING I could to save one of my animal friends. You people that say kill it just because it's a couple hundred dollars for a stray cat...have no heart.

I agree.

Anyway cats, dogs and humans are comparable.

But bulls, pigs, chicken are not. If we want to eat them , their lives are our choice to make. Painful truth. Shouldn't animals have equal rights .

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   scrouds said:   You could a lot more with the cash being spent here by humanely having the cat put down and giving the cash to a shelter.

We can all do more, its not an either/or choice.

Personally, my good deed today is to help out this poor lipless kitty.

OP I have sent you paypal. Would love to see more pics after recovery. This is a special kitty.
I am not surprised to see SIS shell out a bill for a pussy in distress.

Please PM me I will give $10 via paypal. I can't stand to see an animal suffer. I have paid for surgeries for strays , I also do it for family members if they can't afford it. I have more compassion for animals because they can't just get a job.. they are totally dependent on the humans around them. Op this is wonderful post! Kudos to you and your wife for the kindness and caring you have given this cat. And by now you have probably reached the amount you needed so take this 10.00 for cat food, treats this kitty needs a bit of pampering.

MelissaAnne said: Just because we are humans doesn't make us the better species.

mmaf said: Shouldn't animals have equal rights.

Wow. How to say this politely...? Your belief systems differ greatly from my own. In my world, human life is in an entirely different category from all other lifeforms.

ScrawneyWallet said:   MelissaAnne said: Just because we are humans doesn't make us the better species.

mmaf said: Shouldn't animals have equal rights.

Wow. How to say this politely...? Your belief systems differ greatly from my own. In my world, human life is in an entirely different category from all other lifeforms.

It looks like you trampled your tail.

Equal rights -> with cats and dogs

We need a MLK for animals

jk

I'll send $10 -- PM me the PayPal address. Poor cat with half a lip deserves a chance.

I'm in for $20 - PM me your paypal info.

I suggest you start a journal about everything that goes on with this cat from the first time you fed it until you ran it over and every day after that.

A one lipped stray cat surviving being runover with the help of anonymous strangers on the internet is a bestseller waiting to be written.

It's why the media does stories about this.

PM me, I'm in for $20

Yup it's a hallmark channel "very special episode" to be watched with the whole family

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   [.. If the cat had an owner, OP would be held financially responsible, and would either be facing a lawsuit or having his auto insurance pay the vet bills. ...Not to put a damper on this feel good thread but I don't think that would be the case. Saw one episode of those TV court show where a dog owner had to pay the driver of the car who ran her dog over for damage to the car. The reasoning was that it's pet owner's fault for letting it run loose. Was the *judge* in error?

generosity abounds. I have gauged the FW community incorrectly. I choose to donate $ and time to help stray children but admire the compassion here.

capnkidd said:   generosity abounds. I have gauged the FW community incorrectly. I choose to donate $ and time to help stray children but admire the compassion here.

Generosity+Compassion = Good Karma

ZenNUTS said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   [.. If the cat had an owner, OP would be held financially responsible, and would either be facing a lawsuit or having his auto insurance pay the vet bills. ...Not to put a damper on this feel good thread but I don't think that would be the case. Saw one episode of those TV court show where a dog owner had to pay the driver of the car who ran her dog over for damage to the car. The reasoning was that it's pet owner's fault for letting it run loose. Was the *judge* in error?
Leash laws generally apply to dogs, not cats.

You have a good heart, OP. Glad to see the FWF community stepping up to help as well.

I'm in for $10.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Leash laws generally apply to dogs, not cats.

Depends on the city--many cities have leash laws for cats as well. This does not mean you see cats on leashes everywhere--that would be an interesting sight. It just forces liability back onto the animal owner, not the driver.

Is it possible that the cat is deaf? Normally, cats move when a vehicle approaches to them.

I am in for $25. Thank you for your kindness and willingness to tend to this cat's needs.

There may be a way to do this tax-free.

Find a charitable organization that helps cats. Ask them to pay for the operation, in exchange for your donation of equal size. If you filter the money through a recognized charity in this manner, you can deduct the donation from your taxes.

I'm in for *zero*.

The reason: Why spend $50 to help a struggling cat, when healthy ones can be saved in larger numbers for the same money?

Perfectly healthy cats are being put down daily. The cost of sheltering all of them while waiting for an adoption is high, so cats are getting euthanized in high numbers. I know someone that helped round up stray cats on behalf of some charitable cat-loving org, but of course there are cost limits, so they keep as many cats as their budget allows, and the rest don't make it.

The best thing you can do for cats is adopt one of them (not from a pet store, but from a shelter). My suggestion to the OP- unless you have some attachment to this particular cat, put it down, and go adopt a couple healthy cats to save them from death row. Although it's a bit late for that, having donations rolling in.

gargam3l said:   I'm in for *zero*.

blah, blah, blah .... I am not willing to help .... blah, blah, blah .... but I want to share my opinion with everyone .... blah, blah, blah

fixed

germanpope said:   gargam3l said:   I'm in for *zero*.

blah, blah, blah .... I am not willing to help .... blah, blah, blah .... but I want to share my opinion with everyone .... blah, blah, blah

fixed

Unlike your opinion above, it's an opinion that's consistent with the FWF theme. It's very unFWF-minded of you to not seek the most bang for the buck.

You can save 1/10th of a cat, or you can save 5 whole cats for the same money. What's the rationale for saving a fraction of one cat?

gargam3l said:   germanpope said:   gargam3l said:   I'm in for *zero*.

fixed

Not very FWF frugal minded of you to not seek the most bang for the buck.

originally this might have been a an opinion/discussion thread --- but now it has turned into a rescue thread --- so I think it may be nice to keep it positive and let the people that want to participate --- do it without poo poo'ing them

germanpope said:   
originally this might have been a an opinion/discussion thread --- but now it has turned into a rescue thread --- so I think it may be nice to keep it positive and let the people that want to participate --- do it without poo poo'ing them

Nonsense. If there's something wrong with my opinion, why do you seem fear that it might influence someone?

I would rather see the money spent on healthy cats - and as a rescue thread (as you call it), it's actually not good for the cat society to allocate spending disproportionately to expensive injuries while healthy ones die.

Do you donate money to a beggar, or do you donate to a vetted charity who can make sure the money is most effectively spent? Although the OP isn't begging, it's the same scenario in terms of how well the money is spent.

gargam3l said:   germanpope said:   

Nonsense. If there's something wrong with my opinion, why do you seem fear that it might influence someone?

I would rather see the money spent on healthy cats - it's actually not good for the cat society to allocate spending disproportionately to expensive injuries while healthy ones die.

you need to brush up on your Egyptian history

from wikipedia --- The Egyptians viewed their gods not as spirits but as intelligences that could be personified in a body. The earliest evidence of cats as deities comes from a 3100BC crystal cup decorated with an image of the lion-headed goddess Mafdet. The goddess Bast was originally depicted as a fiercely protective and warlike lion, like Sekhmet, but as Bast's image "softened" over time she became more strongly associated with domestic cats.

As cats were sacred to Bast, the practice of mummification was extended to them, and the respect that cats received after death mirrored the respect they were treated with in everyday life. The Greek historian Herodotus wrote that in the event of a fire, men would guard the fire to make certain that no cats ran into the flame. Herodotus also wrote that when a cat died, the household would go into mourning as if for a human relative, and would often shave their eyebrows to signify their loss.

Such was the strength of feeling towards cats that killing one, even accidentally, incurred the death penalty.

And here's the other thing.. the OP has enough compassion that he's going to bridge the difference in the medical bill (we know this because he wasn't asking for donations in the first place), so your 10 dollars or whatever is better off going to a cat charity.

gargam3l said:   And here's the other thing.. the OP has enough compassion that he's going to bridge the difference in the medical bill (we know this because he wasn't asking for donations in the first place), so your 10 dollars or whatever is better off going to a cat charity.

did you miss the part of the post above regarding the death penalty?

hey.. i just saw the thread.. i can send you some money.. please pm me the details. how much more do you need?

What a nice thread.
I am more of a dog person, but I'd take any animal over many people...
I'm in too for $10 via Paypal.

PS. The upper lip missing is so strange. Not even the doctor knew what happened?

I am going to alert mod to:

1. nominate this post as the post of the year for being so heartwarming and caring. It provides inspiration for what Fatwallet can do to bring out the goodness out of people.
2. Have an option to donate FatCash to charities of our choosing or from a list of charities.
3. Give medals to members who are generous.
etc.

in the event of adversity, it is great to FW community come together to help out. We might go to FW to save money but that money saved goes toward helping others in need.

I'm in for *zero*.

The reason: Why spend $50 to help a struggling cat, when healthy ones can be saved in larger numbers for the same money?

Let me explain something to you. Televison crews do not show up to take pictures of every stray cat that goes into a shelter. They show up when there is a story behind it. This cat has a story. If this story gets out, which I believe it will, than the sky is the limit. Millions of people can and will want to help the cat. The number of donations will skyrocket.

The will either send those donations to the OP and he will direct them to a charity or those people will send money to their local shelter.

TV Reporter: What can people do to help poor little Lipless?
OP: We have already received more than enough to help Lipless, but we ask that any other donations be directed to your local shelter so more cats like Lipless can be saved.

Helping this cat will do far more to help save animals in shelters than putting it down.

The problem is, and it happens so many times, is some people can't see the forest for the trees

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.