• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I discovered that my parked car was hit and run on Monday. Passenger fender and door damaged. Filed claim w/ insurance, letting me claim uninsured motorist (since I have only liability on this 14yr old car). Repair was assessed $960. In the meantime, neighbor's pickup disappeared for a few days and returned with a shiny bumper today. The bumper shape seems to match mark on my car. Also, my parked car was directly across from their driveway.

Question: can insurance company or police do anything about it since evidence is circumstantial? Has anyone dealt with situation like this before?

I've had decent interaction with these people. If it were them and they told me right away, I have no problem doing the repair myself. But, their action/inaction really makes me wanna go after them hard, especially with the shiny bumper rubbing in my face...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Terrible photoshopping if you ask me. lol you could've used bing's bird's eye view for a higher resolution at least.

Wizzerdo (Jun. 23, 2011 @ 10:51a) |

Is it really worth the premium increase to repair your 14 year old car? I personally would try to get the neighbors to ... (more)

scotto777 (Jun. 23, 2011 @ 10:56a) |

FIFTY BITCOINS?!?! The equivalent of $750?!?!?!

ensignlee (Jun. 23, 2011 @ 11:12a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:

Open up a conversation

dontcare4myname said:   Open up a conversation

<advice>...without predisposition and anger, as a friend.</advice>

the only reasonable explanation for a new bumper is that the old one was damaged

when you see them --- tell them you noticed that they had their car repaired and let them know that you are looking for shop to get the work done on yours too --- see if they can help you out with a good place to go to get yours fixed

then ask them what happened to them --- maybe the same guy that did the damaged to yours, hit theirs also

you need some proof. even though you suspect your neighbor...don't jump to conclusions without that proof. are there any security cameras that may have caught this accident?

get another neighbor to do the asking around. if the shinny bumper neighbor knows they hit your car and you are aware of it then why would they be honest about the repair on their vehicle at this point when you ask them? if they had any guilt or felt a lack of integrity then they would have left a note and offered to pay for the repair. since they haven't come forward, you need to gather some evidence.

also, please report it to the police so it is on their radar. They may not be able to do anything but it might be an established pattern and provides them another data point. it is entirely possible that teenagers with or without a drivers license went joy riding in their parents car and hit parked cars on the street.

dontcare4myname said:   Open up a conversationBe sure to use your holster

xit said:    ... if the shinny bumper neighbor knows they hit your car and you are aware of it then why would they be honest about the repair on their vehicle at this point when you ask them? ...

the questions may not draw a confession ... but it would be interesting to know how they respond to a serious of tactful questions

OP you mentioned "these people"
is there any weak links in their family unit that you might exploit for information?
an alienated step-child or family member might spill the beans
also, if you talk to multiple people --- you might get conflicting stories
note --- if they are tight, once you talk to one about anything relating to the bumper --- they will all be on to you

disclaimer: my knowledge in this area comes from years of watching television and movies

WHY is this in Finance???

***can we PLEASE have the subtopic *car hit, what do I do?* for stuff like this***

OP. Don't play cop. They are neighbors, and will live there for a while (meaning they will mess with you if they get pissed).

You filed with insurance, let them COVER your loss.

Aw, FARK it, you ain't gonna listen.... next MONDAY, you go SMACK the shit outta their truck, then send your car away for repairs... FARK it, you are even now.... laugh it off over a few beers (and under the breath snide remarks).

***Can we get a mod in here???***

Thanks all! All good advice.

@Techno: I debated whether I should post here and I understand why you're annoyed by it. From the looks of it, I'm out at least $1k (deductible now and getting sodomized with premium increase down the road) and want to see if FWF sages have advice on minimizing the hit. Obviously, eye for and eye is not my answer and neither am I a good detective. But the situation is quite sticky.

@germanpope: Good phrase for the question and also a good alternative scenario. Perhaps I'll go from that angle.

@xit: unfortunately, no security camera but I'm seriously thinking about one. As far as I know, a high school senior drives that truck but the parents also drive it. I have filed a police report. I'll see if the cops get back to me.

My baseline is to bend over and take it. But, if there're other ways, like Bruce Willis bursting into the room and starting killing people with a samurai sword, I want to know.

Gather an angry mob (preferably drunk) and go knock on his door. As if he did it...if he says no knock out a headlight on his car with your baseball bat (obviously you'll be carrying a baseball bat). If he still doesn't come clean take out another light and another, then the windshield. Save that new bumper for last!

Vigilante justice is the only way to deal with this!

Also, he may have been sending you a message to stop being a tool and parking on the street.

from the pictures, it looks like the height may match up --- a tape measure would confirm this

do you see multiple people driving the truck?

Note to self: Don't park on the street directly across from someone's driveway.

The bottom of the rectangle is 24 3/4" from the ground and it's about 3 inches in height. Width is about 1.5 ft. I have not gone to the truck to measure.

The oldest kid drives it sometimes for school and the mom would drive it too.

lithalum said:    As far as I know, a high school senior drives that truck but the parents also drive it. I have filed a police report. I'll see if the cops get back to me.

Kid probably hit it and told his parents someone hit the truck in a parking lot or something. Parent got it fixed and have no clue anything happened to you.

Based on the damage it looks like it was a very light impact. Its possible the kid or whoever was driving it may not have even realized they backed into you and noticed the damage to their truck while somewhere else.

Technologist said:   
They are neighbors, and will live there for a while (meaning they will mess with you if they get pissed).

Well no sh##. OP is their neighbor as well. If they did this then they piss him off and he's going to mess with them.

lithalum said:    I'm out at least $1k (deductible now and getting sodomized with premium increase down the road)

In many states, you'd only be out the deductible, as a premium increase isn't allowed after a UM claim.

I'd strike up a conversation with the neighbor, asking him if he saw or heard anything the day your car was hit. It is possible that his kid was driving and he didn't know your car was involved.

cyber is probably right. You could talk to them yourself and say that you noticed that they got a new bumper yada yada...or you could have a police officer say he's out investigating a hit & run on your car and a neighbor said that they noticed he got a new bumper shortly after the incident occurred. I would talk to them myself if I were you...sending cops to somebody's house as a first response is not a neighborly thing to do.

raringvt said:   cyber is probably right. You could talk to them yourself and say that you noticed that they got a new bumper yada yada...or you could have a police officer say he's out investigating a hit & run on your car and a neighbor said that they noticed he got a new bumper shortly after the incident occurred. I would talk to them myself if I were you...sending cops to somebody's house as a first response is not a neighborly thing to do. OP should have called the cops for an accident report immediately upon noticing the damage. At this point, most cop shops have better things to do than to mediate disputes between neighbors and would refuse to get involved. Even if you did get cops involved, all the neighbor would have to say is "no" and shut the door. It would be one thing if the neighbors were known miscreants but they aren't. So what's stopping OP from having a neighborly chat with them and getting to the bottom of this?

If you really want to know if it was them, find out who does their body work and then find out if the old bumper is still there. Either it does or does not have your paint on it.

PS, make sure nothing is bent in your wheel/suspension/frame.

Same thing happened to me in college. I walked around the neighborhood and found my neighbor parked his car a block or so away with my car's paint color all smeared on the bumper. I left a note on the windshield telling him he could call me about it in the next 24 hours or I could file a hit and run report with police and his license plate. At the end of the day I just asked for an apology, the car was getting replaced anyway and wasn't anything spectacular.

Technologist said:   WHY is this in Finance???

***can we PLEASE have the subtopic *car hit, what do I do?* for stuff like this***

OP. Don't play cop. They are neighbors, and will live there for a while (meaning they will mess with you if they get pissed).

Aw, FARK it, you ain't gonna listen.... next MONDAY, you go SMACK the shit outta their truck, then send your car away for repairs... FARK it, you are even now.... laugh it off over a few beers (and under the breath snide remarks).

Get vengeance by running over shiny bumper neighbor's cat. Start another OT thread here in FWF to solicit donations for medical care of kitty. Reallocate proceeds to fix your car.

cyberl0k said:   Note to self: Don't park on the street directly across from someone's driveway.

What the penquin said

The same thing happened to me a few years ago, except there was a much bigger dent. My car was parked across the street from a driveway. The teenager there had friends who drove a large van/truck and were often at his home...I'm pretty sure they were responsible. I asked the neighbors about it and they said they asked their son and he denied any responsibility.

I did call the police but there wasn't anything they could do about it.

ScrawneyWallet said:   Technologist said:   WHY is this in Finance???

Get vengeance by running over shiny bumper neighbor's cat. Start another OT thread here in FWF to solicit donations for medical care of kitty. Reallocate proceeds to fix your car.

This fix-a-kitty thing could end up bigger than "Ghost in a jar."

Would make a good episode of CSI or L&O. Dun-dun.

cyberl0k said:   Note to self: Don't park on the street directly across from someone's driveway.

I agree, looking at the map there was absolutely no reason to park directly behind his driveway. While legal, I consider that extremely rude (along with parking directly at the edge of a neighbors driveway). I have gone to my neighbors before and asked them nicely not to park directly behind my driveway with many safer parking spots available.

OP consider it a lesson is learning to park and being considerate of others. Even though you are the victim, you purposly put yourself in a bad situation. It's like leaving the keys in the car then complaiing that it was stolen.

Put a note on their car from an "anonymous neighbor" saying the accident was witnessed and that they need to confess right away or else he will tell the neighbor. If they don't fess up, go up to them a week later and say you got an anonymous note saying their truck hit your car, is this true, etc. and see if you can draw a confession.

Many years ago I was at a friend's house for a wedding rehearsal. I was the best man. Coincidentally, I was also serving in the role known by that same name in his wedding. We were in the backyard doing the usual boring wedding rehearsal stuff like how fast the little flower chick was supposed to walk down the aisle dropping wilted flower petals. The groom's brother, who showed up conveniently very late, pulled up in front of the house just in time to see some Older Model Big Ass ("OMBA") American car sideswipe my car parked on the side of the road--and then continue to drive away. My driver side mirror was left hanging by a couple of wires. Well, I was pissed and ready for some vigilante justice, so a few of us grabbed some old drumsticks to use as weapons and headed down the street to find the son of a bitch that hit my car. We were a fierce gang that would have been right at home in the movie The Warriors, kind of like Baseball Furies but with drumsticks instead of bats. I hope you've seen the movie.

Sure enough, just a couple of blocks away, we saw an OMBA American car in the parking lot of the Poodle Dog Hair Salon, not a dog grooming place but a place where actual humans went to get their hair colored and styled. The establishment is now defunct, not surprising at all considering the unfortunate business name and also the fact that their clientele were mostly octagenarians which is probably a poor demographic for sustainable repeat business. Anyway, the OMBA American car had paint marks on the side that were an exact match to my damaged car. This was it! After a brief strategy session, the Drumstick Droogs stormed the Poodle Dog.

The only person in the Poodle Dog besides the single hair stylist was a little old lady who I think was there to get her hair dyed a bluish tint, really just a refresh job on the previous coloring. Hard to believe that underneath that wrinkled and frail exterior was the twisted and dark soul of a criminally insane hit-and-run vandal. However, we holstered our drumsticks because it was obvious pretty quickly that (a) we'd be able to kick her ass with our bare hands, and (b) she was, well, let's just say, a few peas short of a casserole. A few minutes of discussion ensued, which basically involved us repeating to the old lady the same sentences over and over in a progressively slower and louder manner, while simplifying our syntax. We were not exactly sure how to proceed with the senile car smasher.

In the mean time, the hair stylist called the police. To this day, I don't know if she called them because of the drumstick-toting hoodlums or to report the auto incident. I suspect it was the former. The cop showed up, and after hearing our story he went back with us to see my car, having the old lady follow. Not only was it obvious from the paint marks that she had done the damage to my car, there were also recent paint marks from at least three other cars on her vehicle. Her adult grandson was summoned, apparently he lived with her and probably was kind of her caretaker. As soon as he arrived and assessed the situation, he knew his life was about to be hell, especially when the cop told him that he couldn't allow her to drive home because her driver's license was being revoked. Probably her last driving test involved hand-cranking the motor to start the car and yielding to horse-drawn wagons. I kind of felt bad for the lady and her grandson but considering she had just waged her own personal blitzkrieg through the beautiful tree-lined streets of a tranquil neighborhood, she had no business driving a tank.

After filling out the appropriate paperwork, the cop took off to locate the other cars in the old lady's Path of Destruction, the grandson was left to drive his grandmother home, and I got the raw end of the deal because I had to go back to rehearsing the mundane details of a wedding. It wasn't all bad though. Her insurance did cover the repair, and I got a Snakelight as my best man gift.

My Grandma gave me a Snake Light as a Christmas gift when I was 8.

lithalum said:    But, their action/inaction really makes me wanna go after them hard, especially with the shiny bumper rubbing in my face...

Emotion and finance are a poor mix.

It's a 14 y.o. car with minor, repairable nonstructural damage. And what little physical or economic damages are getting covered by your insurance. In all likelihood with NO permanent negative impact to you, your car, your credit rating or your insurance.

And you feel the need to go all Clouseau on them?

Go and ask if they have any idea what might have happened to your car, it was sideswiped. Forget that you know their bumper was replaced. If they put two and two together, aren't scumbags, and didn't know that jr. had hit your car, they will bring it up. If not, the hardest I would push is "geez, it's bad enough that someone would have to get their bumper or fender fixed after hitting me like that.". Other than that, you will lose.

curvesahead said:   cyberl0k said:   Note to self: Don't park on the street directly across from someone's driveway.

What the penquin said

What's a penquin?

I know what a penguin is.

I think you're assuming wrong about the neighbor hitting you.

I don't see how that little amount of damage to your car would cause them to need to replace their bumper. Bumpers are made to withstand 5MPH collisions like that. At most they probably would have had nothing more than a scuff.

There is no way to prove it, and your insurer is not going to send out SEAL Team Six on a nighttime raid on your neighbors to waterboard them for information.

The best you would be able to do is to sue them in small claims, but they can just show up and play dumb... and what EVIDENCE will you have to show the judge/commissioner that your neighbors were involved in a criminal conspiracy to replace a bumper on an old pickup truck?

I suggest you offer to settle with your neighbors for 50 Bitcoins.

IANYL

This has happened to my wife and me several times in the past. We've consulted with cops and lawyers every time, and every time they have told us the same thing: If you have video footage of the actual incident that can resolve legibly onto the offender's license plate, you MIGHT have a case. Even then, it will probably cost more to pursue it in the court system than to fix it ourselves. And there's no guarantee that we would win even with good evidence.

In other words, every time we have been told to let it go. So we did.

TrentSteel said:   This has happened to my wife and me several times in the past. We've consulted with cops and lawyers every time, and every time they have told us the same thing: If you have video footage of the actual incident that can resolve legibly onto the offender's license plate, you MIGHT have a case. Even then, it will probably cost more to pursue it in the court system than to fix it ourselves. And there's no guarantee that we would win even with good evidence.

In other words, every time we have been told to let it go. So we did.

alternative solution: catch your neighbor commiting a crime. Tax evasion, animal abuse, watering lawn on wednesday instead of thursday, whatever. Submit evidence anonomously to police. you won't be any richer, but karma will have been served. Assunming the neighbor did it.

Skipping 41 Messages...
Crazytree said:   There is no way to prove it, and your insurer is not going to send out SEAL Team Six on a nighttime raid on your neighbors to waterboard them for information.

The best you would be able to do is to sue them in small claims, but they can just show up and play dumb... and what EVIDENCE will you have to show the judge/commissioner that your neighbors were involved in a criminal conspiracy to replace a bumper on an old pickup truck?

I suggest you offer to settle with your neighbors for 50 Bitcoins.

IANYL

FIFTY BITCOINS?!?! The equivalent of $750?!?!?!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014