• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi,
I want to block strangers from accessing my information or history by using my social security number. I am not only talking about using my social security number to apply for stuff. This is a safety measure. I know how to do credit freeze, but it is only for credit, not ssn. Nowadays, strangers can get people's ssn due to security breach of financial accounts, or they can use social engineering.
Thanks.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I think what you are asking is to identify every organization that has info about you and make sure they don't give it out to someone that has your SSN. Good luck with that...

is there any way to do a ssn freeze just like credit freeze?

Ecuadorgr said:   I think what you are asking is to identify every organization that has info about you and make sure they don't give it out to someone that has your SSN. Good luck with that...

Impossible. If you were to do something as simple as to write me a check, I could have your SSN within 24 hours based solely on the information on that check.

I say that not brag on my behalf, but rather as an example of how SSNs are not this magical sacred private number that some people make them out to be.

Yes, it would cost a lot though. Give me a downpayment of $500k and I'll get the process started.

The problem is that the SSN is used for many purposes of identification (tax filing, applying for an ID, verification for opening bank accounts, etc.). To place a global block to it, would involve issuing a worldwide "broadcast" to every commercial related organization that this number is "frozen". That would be nearly impossible to implement. As mentioned before, it is very hard to get everyone and every organization on this planet to treat it as such. The nine digit number is, unfortunately, permanent for life and not disposable like a CC number.

One possible workaround: Become an expatriot and "discard" the SSN first assigned to you. Come back to the US (through the naturalization process) and get a new SSN.

LifeLock would cover the fraudulent accounts part, but other than that how would you expect your future employer/landlord to perform a background check if everything was blocked?

TheDealMaker said:   

Ecuadorgr said:   I think what you are asking is to identify every organization that has info about you and make sure they don't give it out to someone that has your SSN. Good luck with that...is there any way to do a ssn freeze just like credit freeze?
There is no organization that gives out your SSN upon request, so there is no "SSN report" to freeze. The only "freeze" you can impliment is to not give it out yourself.

ZenNUTS said:   Yes, it would cost a lot though. Give me a downpayment of $500k and I'll get the process started.

I can do it for ~$50k, but it would require relocation to colombia (on the plus side, the women are hot to look at).

For what its worth, the SSN by itself is not quite the identifier it used to be. Even places that have your SSN tend to block it when printing a statement or a payroll list or whatever. Also most banks I have called will not give out information based on SSN alone. Organizations seem to be aware that lots of SSNs are out there and fewer and fewer rely on it as an all purpose ID.

prostoalex said:   LifeLock would cover the fraudulent accounts part, but other than that how would you expect your future employer/landlord to perform a background check if everything was blocked?LifeLock is a scam. Do not even imply someone should use them

I used to be in a business where I needed SSN's on people. It usually took about 15 minutes to find one. At most, maybe an hour or so. There is nothing magic about it, and trying to keep it "secret" is an exercise in futility.

Only give SSN's out to people who are fiscally responsible for your money.

My Doctor hands me a form with a SSN field . I ALWAYS NEVER fill in that field. Why does my Doctor need to know my SSN? He has my insurance, he has my address, he has MY LIFE in his hands. I don't need to hand over my SSN.

So far I only give it out to , Banks, Loan people, My wife.../doh I should've not told me wife

Start over and get a new one, and then don't give it to anyone.

I've often wondered that same thing. Many years ago, companies/organizations/medical providers needed a unique identifier and they decided to use SSN. They figured that would be easy and it was supposed to be unique. That was a mistake that they are having to unravel in current day. Still many healthcare providers insist on you providing SSN because they think it is required when filing insurance or they still attempt to use it to verify your identity. The SSN was not intended to be the unique identifier across the planet and it was not designed for it.

The best you can do is what others have already stated -- be careful who you provide that info to. I'm just as careful with my SSN as my driver's license info. I'm willing to show my drivers license so they can confirm my identity but I do not allow them to enter that info into the system directly or scan it in and I do not allow them to make copies. The company or health care provider may not provide services to me under those conditions and I'm ok with it. recently, I wanted to test drive a new Kia. The salesman wanted my drivers license. I told him that I'm willing to show it to him but that is it. he said he needed to enter it into his system. I said no thanks -- I won't be buying any cars from that dealer.

Doctors ask for it because if the insurance denies the claim, the only recourse they have if you don't pay is to ding your credit. The easiest way to do that is with your SSN. If you don't provide it, they can say "No thanks" and deny you service.

drodge said:   Doctors ask for it because if the insurance denies the claim, the only recourse they have if you don't pay is to ding your credit. The easiest way to do that is with your SSN. If you don't provide it, they can say "No thanks" and deny you service.

my health insurance does not work off of SSN. i'm lucky in that that i've been assigned a unique identifier within the the Aetna plan. I also never stiff doctors--I always ensure the bill gets paid.

Doctors have always been free to decline providing services if they want. Some doctors are not concerned with patient identity theft to the degree that they need to be as evidenced by their out dated business practices of keeping a copy of your drivers license and SSN in the file or scanning it to their computer.

Regardless of what we are told, our data is not protected from a breach made by the cleaning crew who has access to files or computers in off hours.

we are also free to choose to work with doctors or other businesses who understand the risks of a breach to SSN and drivers license info.

I think OP is really asking how to prevent the unapproved or unauthorized access to SSN.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014