• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
~ THIS OFFER IS NOW EXPIRED. CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO GOT IN ON THIS DEAL! ~

First time American Express Starwood Preferred Guest cardmembers can earn up to 30,000 bonus points. This deal is better than any AM3X SPG offer currently out there and the best since the 30k points for $1k purchase offered a year ago. This deal is valid for both the personal and business card versions.

There are now three ways to get this offer:
1. Targeted offer via postal mail.
2. Referral from an existing AM3X SPG cardmember. Referring cardmember earns 5,000 bonus points.
3. Direct link from the Starwood Hotels web site.

Key Points for Both Offers:
- Annual Fee waived for the first year ($65)
- 10k Bonus Starpoints after first purchase
- 20k Bonus Starpoints after $4,500 spend in first 3 months
- 2.9% APR on Purchases for first 6-months
- Application must be received by AM3X by August 22, 2011

Key Dates for Referrals (Both Offers):
- Referral must be submitted by August 10, 2011 - Link when logged into SPG web site
- Referral must be submitted by August 18, 2011 - Link when logged into AM3X web site

Landing Page for Both the Personal and Business Card Referral Offers from SPG Site:
https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/apply/jsp/includes/Star...
Copy and paste this link in your browser address bar. Linking it in FW somehow forwards you to the AM3X insurance site.

Landing Page for Both the Personal and Business Card Application Offers:
Personal and Business Card 30k SPG Point Applications

Click on "Proceed to Application" button for the personal card, or "Using the Card for business expenses? Apply here" link for the business card.

Key Card Features:

- Starpoints can be exchanged for airline miles in a very large variety of programs. Most have an exchange ratio of 1:1, but if you exchange 20k Starpoints they will give you a 25% bonus so you end up with 25k airline miles for only 20k Starpoints.
- Cash and Points program allows you to pay significantly reduced rates on hotel nights.
- Redeem Starpoints for free nights at over 1,000 hotels in nearly 100 countries and free flights on more than 350 airlines, all with no blackout dates
- NEW: Stay 2 nights and get the 3rd night free at participating Sheraton® Hotels and Resorts worldwide
- Get at least 4 Starpoints for every dollar you spend at Starwood Preferred Guest Hotels and Resorts
- Enjoy no annual fee for the first year, then $65 each year thereafter

Additional Terms and Conditions for the Targeted Personal Card Referral Offer:

Referrals must be submitted by August 10, 2011, and referred individual(s) must apply by August 22, 2011, and be approved.

To be eligible to receive 10,000 bonus Starpoints, referred individual(s) must make their first purchase with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card within one year of Card approval. Bonus points will appear on their Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8-12 weeks after their first purchase.

Bonus Starpoints are for first-time Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Cardmembers only. Bonus Starpoints can only be received once per Cardmember, regardless of the number of Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card accounts the Cardmember may have or had.

In order to receive additional 20,000 bonus Starpoints, referred individual(s) must use their Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card to complete $4,500 of eligible spending by the end of their first three months of Cardmembership, based on the date of their Card approval. 20,000 Starpoints will be credited to their account 8 to 12 weeks after they reach the spend threshold.

Pay no annual fee for the first year. The annual fee after the first year is $65.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This deal is expired, but if you'd like a referral to the current sign up (10k signup+15k after 5k spend in 6 months I t... (more)

imbatman (Oct. 09, 2011 @ 8:11a) |

SO and I both received the spend bonus with our second statements. 60K bonus points + a tad over 9K spending points bet... (more)

rakso (Oct. 18, 2011 @ 11:22p) |

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if multiple SPG CCs are considered towards Gold Status($30Kspend/calendar year)? ... (more)

rakso (Oct. 18, 2011 @ 11:29p) |

Landing Page for Both the Personal and Business Card Application Offers:
Personal and Business Card 30k SPG Point Applications

Extra 1000 SPG Points for Adding Cardmembers to Your Account (2k Max):
1k Bonus Link

This offer is available for up to two Additional Cardmembers. To earn 1,000 bonus Starpoints, the Additional Cardmember must have a total eligible spend of $150 within the first 90 days of their Cardmembership.

SPG Airline Partner Exchange Ratio:
Exchange Ratio Link

SPG Point Redemption Options:
Redemption Options Link

Member-to-Member SPG Transfer Form (Requires Login):
Transfer Form Link

40 Ideas for Meeting Minimum Spend Requirements
Blog Link
  • Also categorized in:

I've been ignoring the "refer your friends" postcards in the mail since they are usually terrible deals for my friends.

How many points do current users get for referring each "friend"?

gutterwench said:   Currently this deal is only valid for the personal card (not the business version).

It is valid for business version too. I have the SPG Business card and got the email to refer others. The terms are same as the personal SPG card with one difference - referrals must be submitted by August 18, 2011.

I've seen both 5k and 10k referrals via snail mail but they are always for bad deals like the current one on the AMEX web site which is 10k on first purchase + 15k after $15k purchase in 6 months. With this new deal you get 5k more points and a much lower spend requirement. Still not as good as the 30k for $1k spend that many of us got in on last year, but it does not seem like that one is coming back. AMEX has always been very frugal when it comes to Starpoints.

AMEX sent out this referral deal yesterday via email yesterday and only to a select number of cardmembers. My husband's card got the promo but mine did not. The referral is 5k bonus points. There is an ever growing thread on FT about this deal.

For any of you guys with an existing SPG card looking to refer your friends on this deal, check your junk e-mail folder. That is where this email ended up and I just found it today.

BADADVICE said:   I've been ignoring the "refer your friends" postcards in the mail since they are usually terrible deals for my friends.

5k I believe, I can check when I get home.

ucfzf10 said:   It is valid for business version too. I have the SPG Business card and got the email to refer others. The terms are same as the personal SPG card with one difference - referrals must be submitted by August 18, 2011.

Thanks for the update ucfzf10!

We did not receive the promo email for either of our SPG business cards and other forums I've seen so far have only been discussing the personal card, so this is welcoming news!

So if you don't have either of the SPG cards yet (personal or business) you may be able to get this deal on both of them for a total of 60k SPG points. Just make sure that you get a separate referral for each and for a matching card type (personal refers personal, business refers business). You might have to get 2 different friends refer you to get both offers.

got 25k offer for spg business card, not as good as consumer...this one requires 15k spending

As a Cardmember you can look forward to:
10,000 Starpoint Bonus after your first purchase.1
15,000 additional Starpoint bonus when you spend $15,000 in the first 6 months.2
No annual fee for the first year – a savings of $65.4
Redeem Starpoints at over 1,000 participating hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries and for flights on more than 350 airlines, all with no blackout dates5.
Take advantage of our newest benefit: Stay 2 nights and get the 3rd night free at participating Sheraton® hotels and resorts worldwide6.
Get at least 4 Starpoints on stays at hotels and resorts participating in the Starwood Preferred Guest program7.
Control and track spending with customizable online expense management tools. With OPEN Savings®, automatically save 3%-10% on expenses with companies like FedEx, Hertz®, and more8.
Apply now and don't miss out on this great business opportunity to earn up to 25,000 Starpoints and no annual fee for the first year.9

tx

I would like to update the OP with the expiration dates for the SPG Business Card offer since they are different than those for the Personal Card.

ucfzf10 posted that the referral submission expiration date was August 18.

Does someone have the application expiration date for the SPG Business Card?

pthor1231 said:   BADADVICE said:   I've been ignoring the "refer your friends" postcards in the mail since they are usually terrible deals for my friends.

My postcard says 5k

I also got the offer for the SPG Business card.

It seems the referral offers are targeted too. I didn't get one for the personal or business version.

gutterwench said:   I would like to update the OP with the expiration dates for the SPG Business Card offer since they are different than those for the Personal Card.

ucfzf10 posted that the referral submission expiration date was August 18.

Does someone have the application expiration date for the SPG Business Card?

The Business offer I received expires on 8/18.

jkimcpa said:   pthor1231 said:   BADADVICE said:   I've been ignoring the "refer your friends" postcards in the mail since they are usually terrible deals for my friends.

My postcard says 5k

They have online right now at the AMEX website a deal for 10,000 points for referring a friend
offer expires july 25 so not much time left

I already have the starwoods card but when i signed up they didnt have this promotion. Any idea if there is anyway for me to get it now? Think if I send them a secure message they might give me the deal?

FYI: I got my second year free after a $65 courtesy credit by talking to a retention person who later transferred me to his supervisor.

Has anyone run into issues referring a spouse with the same address? It doesn't look to be an issue from the T&Cs

mrkk said:   can someone become my friend?

please pm me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzDN74rMTzE

The application link for the 30k American Express SPG Business Card offer has become public:

https://www201.americanexpress.com/sbsapply/EACQServlet?request_...

Earn 10,000 Starpoints after your first purchase and an additional 20,000 bonus Starpoints when you spend $4,500 in 3 months.

Enjoy an introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $65.

2.9% introductory APR for the first 6 months.

No referral needed.

If you did not receive the email but you have an SPG Personal card, you can still refer others if you follow this link and sign into your account:

Can someone who got the Business referral offer post the link from their email?

Ike

Is it possible to have a second SPG biz card for a different biz and still get the bonus on the second one?

juggler451 said:   Is it possible to have a second SPG biz card for a different biz and still get the bonus on the second one?

I've read elsewhere that with AMEX many people are able to churn accounts every 2 years and get the bonus. Generally if you already have a business account they will not award bonus points to the same cardmember even with a different business TAX ID. YMMV.

gutterwench said:   

I've read elsewhere that with AMEX many people are able to churn accounts every 2 years and get the bonus.

This is true, I used to have both Delta Plat AMEX and SPG AMEX - got those rewards in 2006 and 2007. Closed them in 2007 and 2008 respectively.
I signed up for Delta last November for additional 20,000 MQM and 25,000 miles. Signed up for SPG card yesterday (thanks gutterwench) for this 30k point offer.
Both times I confirmed that I would get the bonus again, both times the CSR said "yes, it's been at least 2 years since you last had the card, so you're eligible for the sign up bonus".

I don't know about the personal vs business card bonus though.

gutterwench said:   The application link for the 30k American Express SPG Business Card offer has become public:

Earn 10,000 Starpoints after your first purchase and an additional 20,000 bonus Starpoints when you spend $4,500 in 3 months.

Enjoy an introductory annual fee of $0 for the first year, then $65.

2.9% introductory APR for the first 6 months.

No referral needed.

My wife and I thank you. We'll see if it works.

Can you get the Business promo if you've already received the personal bonus? I would think so, but the terms aren't clear. It mentions that it's for first time SPG cardholders only, but doesn't specify if it's for first-time Business cardholders or either personal or business.

Bonus Starpoints are for first-time Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Cardmembers only. Bonus Starpoints can only be received once per Cardmember, regardless of the number of Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card accounts the Cardmember may have or had.

I applied for the Biz version of SPG using this link: http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&mid=1611693...

However, although result is Pending, I can't see my application from http://www.americanexpress.com/myappstatus, which is really strange. Usually I can see all my AMEX applications even if it's still pending.

Anyone else has the same problem?

hraner said:   I applied for the Biz version of SPG using this link. However, although result is Pending, I can't see my application from http://www.americanexpress.com/myappstatus, which is really strange. Usually I can see all my AMEX applications even if it's still pending.

Anyone else has the same problem?

A few people at FT have reported the same thing for the business card application. After a few days they were able to get the status by calling AMEX. AMEX told them the card was approved and on the way, but the application still wasn't showing online. Others state that it has been 3 days and when they call AMEX there is no record of an application and no credit pull reported.

I have removed the business link from the OP until we can get confirmation that it is working.

Until then, the best route if you are looking for the business version of this card is to request a referral from a friend or one of the posters who have received the business offer.

This deal looks great, but the catch for me is spending 4.5k in 3 months! That's insane for me. Do balance transfers work? Also, since my wife and I both don't have a card, can we both sign up for the card and potentially get 60k points?

Is it fair to say that these points are much more valuable than normal AMEX rewardes points? A quick search found 10,000 points (cat 4) hotel in NY got me a hotel that is usually $400 a night plus tax. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if this is an unusual example or standard with this card.

@midgar - BT doesn't work for the spend requirement. Yes, both your wife and you can each apply for seperate cards and get the the 30k point bonus. SPG allows you to transfer points between accounts if your addresses have been the same for the last 30 days. My husband and I were able to each apply for the personal and business cards last July for a total of 120k SPG points.

@blackie7955 - Yes, in many ways SPG points are more valuable than MR points. The exchange rate for 1k MR points is 333 SPG points. I have not seen the big 50% exchange bonuses on SPG like we have been seeing with MR exchanges for airline miles but for hotel use it is fairly easy to get 3-7 cents per point for use on Starwood properties.

blackie7955 said:   Is it fair to say that these points are much more valuable than normal AMEX rewardes points? A quick search found 10,000 points (cat 4) hotel in NY got me a hotel that is usually $400 a night plus tax. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if this is an unusual example or standard with this card.

I got a Times Square hotel on New Years Eve for 12 thousand points, the going rate for the room was well over $500.

If that exchange rate is accurate, and I have no reason to belive it is not, 30,000 bonus points is an absolutely HUGE bonus!!! One can argue that this is one of the biggest credit card bonus offers ever.

I applied for the Starwood signup bonus where you get 25k points if you spend 15k in 6 months. Anyone have any clue how I might go about asking them to give me this new offer instead. I have not successfully found a link to the actual offer.

Wow, this is way worse than last year's deal which was a 1k spend. I loved that deal, got a great vacation with a free room upgrade at the Sheraton Waikiki out of it with 60k points (I highly recommend this hotel, btw, it's one of the best on Waikiki Beach). 4.5k spend is just too pricy for me this time, will wait for the next one to come along. I highly recommend SPG points and the 'best room available' upgrades you get with them though.

Thanks for the post OP, I'm sure folks that don't mind the spend will get great use out of the points.

American Express just sent out another round of the targeted emails to existing SPG cardmembers today for this same 30k/$4500 spend deal. The previous round of emails went out last Sunday (7/17).

My husband's personal card was targeted last Sunday and now I've received the same offer for referring the personal card today. Expiration dates remain the same.

So if you are a current SPG cardmember, check your email (and your spam box) because you might now be able to refer your friends for this deal as well!

Now if only they would send me the business offer so I can post the terms for that one...

The business offer states:

With amazing rewards, like getting your third night free at participating Sheraton® Hotels and Resorts, now is a great time to refer a fellow business owner for The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. Not only can you get 5,000 Starpoints for each colleague approved for the Card3, but your colleagues can get up to 30,000 Starpoints3 and enjoy the Card at no annual fee for the first year — a savings of $654.

blackie7955 said:   Is it fair to say that these points are much more valuable than normal AMEX rewardes points? A quick search found 10,000 points (cat 4) hotel in NY got me a hotel that is usually $400 a night plus tax. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if this is an unusual example or standard with this card.

SPG points are a great deal! If you're planning to "stretch out" your points, a Cash+Points redemption will give you an even better deal

sstarcher said:   I applied for the Starwood signup bonus where you get 25k points if you spend 15k in 6 months. Anyone have any clue how I might go about asking them to give me this new offer instead. I have not successfully found a link to the actual offer.

People have gotten 0, 3000, 5000, and 20,000 points for requesting a match. So, YMMV.

Nice deal. I just added their new Blue Cash card, though, so guess I'll be passing on this one.

Rep to OP. I just got the referral link on my account too.

The only thing different is I've got till August 18th to refer someone instead of August 10th.

Skipping 44 Messages...
A bit off topic, but does anyone know if multiple SPG CCs are considered towards Gold Status($30Kspend/calendar year)? I have a personal with approx 22K spend on it, and now the Biz with $4.5K spend. These are tied to different SPG accounts (even though I supplied my SPG# when I applied for the Biz).

I dont imagine SO's spend will count under any circumstances.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014