• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
The problem I have with the new design is that this card is much more heavier than regular CC's. Can't understand what is the use of making the card more heavy!

fllniks said:   The problem I have with the new design is that this card is much more heavier than regular CC's. Can't understand what is the use of making the card more heavy!

I really like the new card which seems to be made of metal and not plastic, thus it is heavier.

I'm pretty sure it's not metal. It feels like a higher density plastic compared to other cards.

cestmoi123 said:   As for Visa Signature vs. World Mastercard, there's very very little difference. World ELITE Mastercard gets you some limited lounge access, but it's not a tremendous benefit.

If you disagree, please highlight what difference in benefits you see that make the World MC more "desirable" than the Visa Signature, I'm curious.

When I visited Australia a couple months ago, only my Chase World Mastercard (Continental) provided rental car insurance, none of my Visa Signature cards.

flowindex said:   fllniks said:   The problem I have with the new design is that this card is much more heavier than regular CC's. Can't understand what is the use of making the card more heavy!I really like the new card which seems to be made of metal and not plastic, thus it is heavier.The Sapphire Preferred is metal. I'm pretty sure the vanilla Sapphire is still plastic... Then again, I haven't been intrigued enough to request a new one yet.

Front
Disclaimer

Back
Disclaimer
My Continental Presidential Plus card (issued by chase) is like that too. It is not metallic but plastic (not glossy), definitely feels different. Haven't had much problems using it other than people taking a little longer to find the magnetic swipe.

ajh5408 said:   flowindex said:   fllniks said:   The problem I have with the new design is that this card is much more heavier than regular CC's. Can't understand what is the use of making the card more heavy!I really like the new card which seems to be made of metal and not plastic, thus it is heavier.The Sapphire Preferred is metal. I'm pretty sure the vanilla Sapphire is still plastic... Then again, I haven't been intrigued enough to request a new one yet.

It's not metal...Just denser plastic...

beethovengirl said:   cestmoi123 said:   As for Visa Signature vs. World Mastercard, there's very very little difference. World ELITE Mastercard gets you some limited lounge access, but it's not a tremendous benefit.

If you disagree, please highlight what difference in benefits you see that make the World MC more "desirable" than the Visa Signature, I'm curious.

When I visited Australia a couple months ago, only my Chase World Mastercard (Continental) provided rental car insurance, none of my Visa Signature cards.
This can be really card specific. I know my ATT Platinum Universal Card (Visa) from Citicard provided rental insurance in Oz. And I think my FIA (Former Schwab) Cash Rewards card does as well

tchen811 said:   It's not metal...Just denser plastic...Well screw that... I'd just take an image of a JPM Palladium card and try to have Cap1 print it for me.
QuantumSlip said:   My Continental Presidential Plus card (issued by chase) is like that too. It is not metallic but plastic (not glossy), definitely feels different. Haven't had much problems using it other than people taking a little longer to find the magnetic swipe.That actually looks pretty slick... They just did a poor job on the Sapphire redesign. Still haven't found any documentation where VISA/MC talk about having the logo on the back of the card. It wouldn't kill Chase to update the images on their website either... Continental still shows the old design with the metallic MC on the front.

LordB said:   UnicornSnake said:   I am a fan of NOT-embossed. No real reason for the raised numbers anymore.

Virtually all merchants if their CC machine goes down they fall back on embossing. Kohls did it just 2 years ago and I would bet they still do.

My Kohls card is about 2 years old and has no embossing on it.

TU to OP for great pics in the initial post! Very interesting thread. With all the CC deals lately, and NFIR in Europe etc., it's great to see how folks are receiving and using these cards.

erinm said:   LordB said:   UnicornSnake said:   I am a fan of NOT-embossed. No real reason for the raised numbers anymore.

Virtually all merchants if their CC machine goes down they fall back on embossing. Kohls did it just 2 years ago and I would bet they still do.

My Kohls card is about 2 years old and has no embossing on it.

I was refering to credit cards. Kohls charge is a store card and is valid only at Kohls. It also has no magnetic strip. It uses a barcode and is scanned with the barcode scanner.

Also relevant portion on the visa website:
"Visa unembossed cards are accepted by most Visa merchants, with the exception of those who require a manual imprint at the point of sale such as with an old-style "zip-zap" machine, and can be used for purchases made online, by mail or by phone."

Kohls 99.9999% of the time will use the mag strip, but if the CC won't scan or it goes down for any reason they fall back on the embossing (usually after calling a manager since the average employee has no clue how to do it since it's so rare).
If a Kohls charge won't read they do a lookup using your SS# and ID.

cooper1964 said:   Received the non-embossed cards from TD Bank several months ago; what a nightmare! Card magnetic stripe was very poor quailty; and often would not swipe. Every time that happened; merchant refused the card. Grocery store, clothing stores in mall, you name it. If they can't emboss it, they refuse it. Love being at Shoprite with a cart full of groceries and being embarrassed by the cashier thinking you are a deadbeat! After 4 new cards in 3 weeks and mulitple discussions with bank staff; switched banks. So much better! Their explanation was that the change came directly from Visa.

Sucks being a beta tester doesn't it? Especially when you aren't even told... from the press release cited by FlattenedWallet:

"The move follows a series of successful pilot tests with a dozen U.S. financial institutions, including Commerce Bancshares, Inc., TD Banknorth and United Heritage Credit Union."

ajh5408 said:   flowindex said:   fllniks said:   The problem I have with the new design is that this card is much more heavier than regular CC's. Can't understand what is the use of making the card more heavy!I really like the new card which seems to be made of metal and not plastic, thus it is heavier.The Sapphire Preferred is metal. I'm pretty sure the vanilla Sapphire is still plastic... Then again, I haven't been intrigued enough to request a new one yet.

The non-preferred Saphire cards I scanned are just plastic. They have a matte finish, but are not a higher density nor made of metal. I'm guessing the "faceted" edge detail is designed to emulate the AMEX Centurion card.

A few people have mentioned the portrait (called vertical sometimes) orientation that Chase is doing on some cards (I believe Slate was the first time they did this) versus the traditional landscape style. It looks like they have added more cards into this family.

The first time I saw non-embossed Visa cards in the US was via Target prepaid program, but it does appear that this is a bigger launch with non-prepaid (aside from the test banks). With the black print, it makes it very hard to read the number for visual number stealers, but definitely a problem for the zip-zap (great word -- I saw the term knuckle buster also) or carbon copy shaders or the press down thing.

Mastercard has a lot of detail on their unembossed program for merchants:
http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/solutions/unembossed_maste...
http://www.mastercard.com//us/merchant/pdf/unembMERCH_v5.pdf

Visa document (could be helpful to have a printout for overseas travel):
http://www.visa-asia.com/ap/center/merchants/productstech/includ...
http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/visa-flyer-unembossed-car...

The *worse* part is that the merchant can refuse the card if they cannot swipe.

I have seen versions of non-embossed from overseas banks for local residents for quite awhile. I think this is primarily because delivering the card from the bank to residence or home is not as efficient or safe as USPS here. The main non-embossed advantage appears to be instant issuance by bank to customer (at branch).

Rasheed

Zaos said:   UnicornSnake said:   I am a fan of NOT-embossed. No real reason for the raised numbers anymore.
Believe it or not, but manual imprint processing is not quite dead, particularly outside the US or as a backup.

I just it done in the US at a national convention as their method of charging just this past December 2010.

The new sapphire preferred cards are beautiful. There is a thin sheet of steel sandwiched between plastic. I know this because the card sticks to magnets. The centurian card by American Express is made of graphite. Chase is trying to make the card feel more luxurious.

I would sue.

dkman said:   Zaos said:   UnicornSnake said:   I am a fan of NOT-embossed. No real reason for the raised numbers anymore.Believe it or not, but manual imprint processing is not quite dead, particularly outside the US or as a backup.I just it done in the US at a national convention as their method of charging just this past December 2010.I was short on cash and had to use a credit card to purchase something from a vendor at a trade show a few weeks ago. The girl literally made a RUBBING of my credit card on a piece of paper with a pencil! I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

CamWalk390 said:    I'll just use AMEX when/if a merchant complains.

There ya go.
Don't like my Visa? OK, here's my AMEX, but the merchant fees are higher...

I actually received a new designed card and called Sapphire thinking it may be a temporary card.... The rep told me it is a new design which is supposedly more convenient, since when you use it to order online or in store all of the info is on one side (no flipping). I used the card, both domestically and Internationally with no problems.

ING Direct has the same type of card for their checking account, although its got a giant orange dot on the front. It looks really cheap too. My only concern was the number and name scratching off as my name is already falling off and its only been a few days.

Glad I have a MasterCard then. Less chance of getting a non embossed card.

I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and the information on the back (name, card number, expiration date) IS raised. It's not embossed, like with a typical card (i.e. where the other side is actually dented), but I'm pretty sure that, if you did a manual rubbing, it would come through. I do think the card is metal, by the way. Looking at the edge, it certainly looks like there's a blue plastic layer, then a shiny metal layer, then another blue plastic layer. It does stick to magnets, although, in retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have tried that...

Wow, a thread on the aesthetics of a credit card.

UnicornSnake said:   I am a fan of NOT-embossed. No real reason for the raised numbers anymore.

Exactly, and not embossed = thinner wallet!

Whatever happens.

Switching banks over a bad CC design? Lame.

"If you disagree, please highlight what difference in benefits you see that make the World MC more "desirable" than the Visa Signature, I'm curious."

Grex "...I was under the impression that World Mastercard was better and I thought I saw another article which said that but then I saw other say Visa Signature is better so I really have no clue.... Can't say for sure which is better if benefits are the same."

Grex, your posts would improve in quality if you could say one concrete statement about credit cards. Stop being under impressions and then using that to post random information. Don't say a big bonus for signing up, say they offered X dollars or points to sign up.
I'm not hating on you, but you have 6 posts in this thread which make statements and then backtrack, but can't back it up with something substantial.

Great - a new variation of the e-penis thread. Used to be "mine's bigger." Now it's "mine's prettier."

This whole thread is lame. A credit card is a credit card right?

grex23 said:   A credit card is a credit card right?As a FWF reader, this is one of the silliest things I've seen typed.

theblenny said:   Wow, a thread on the aesthetics of a credit card.Welcome to the new creditboards.. where everyone measure their self-worth by the size of their credit lines and their ability to get baddies off their CR. pfffft.

grex23 said:   This whole thread is lame. A credit card is a credit card right?I'd say the terms of your agreement and promotional offers is what matters for a credit card. I have over a dozen I've never even charged on... just like most on this board.

My ING debit card is the same way. Looks pretty cool.

christoj879 said:   My ING debit card is the same way. Looks pretty cool.

Until you try and rent a car in Latin America...

dmagid7 said:   ... the rep told me it is a new design which is supposedly more convenient, since when you use it to order online or in store all of the info is on one side (no flipping)

That is gotta be the lamest excuse a credit card company has ever used when trying to save money: "we are saving you the trouble of turning the card over!"

I've reviewed the materials from both Visa and MC regarding unembossed cards, and they make it pretty clear that this transition is for the benefit of card issuers- unembossed cards are simply cheaper to make. I don't really buy the "instant issue" convenience thing. As long as you walk in and insist on it, my bank has *always* issued debit cards right on the spot. They have a pool of pre-made debit cards that they can activate on the fly. They can even emboss your name on it. True, this is a pain in the a** for them. But, I don't see banks running out to purchase new card printers for every branch, when they 'prolly pay only $1 to some third-party card printing service for each mailed card anyway.

grex23 said:   Did you apply for the card? I had other Chase Cards and was offered it with a big signup bonus so I took it. Received the bonus and the card and got the World Mastercard one which is the superior one.

On the Signature vs World tier cards, World is superior. Mastercard reigns supreme at the high end tiers while Visa is better on the lower end.

Never said it was exclusive, it just wasn't offered to the average joe and was a higher end premium tier credit card which offered a lot of benefits especially for travel since it was a World Mastercard.

The cards I use now are either Visa Signature or World Mastercard. When I got my first card, it was a student credit card. I have since moved up to World Mastercard and wouldn't go back. This card is excellent for prime customers who don't want to pay an annual fee, but it is disappointing if they gave out Visa Signature cards since those are less desirable and I was not aware they had.

So if this wasn't photoshopped and they gave different cards out to different customers (branded Visa Signature or World Mastercard), I am thinking the World Mastercard's will be treated somewhat better and will retain the old embossing on the card.

Chase has been issuing the new style credit cards for some time, it's been at least 6 months since they issued their Chase Presidential Plus card in the new style, that's a "World Elite" labeled Mastercard which, if you care, is a step above the "World" branded cards.

grex23 said:   This whole thread is lame. A credit card is a credit card right?Pfft... Really? Some make better ice scrapers than others, ya know.

MaxRC said:   UnicornSnake said:   I am a fan of NOT-embossed. No real reason for the raised numbers anymore.

Exactly, and not embossed = thinner wallet!

Hello...this is Fat Wallet, not Thin Wallet. I want all my cards embossed with quarter-inch tall numbers/letters. That way my wallet can be the fattest of all y'all.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014