• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have ADT security service at my store since last 3 yrs now i am going to close down the store in couple months so i called them & ask to cancel my service they said i signed 5 yrs contract with them which is minimum they offer for any small business but i was not informed at the time of signing up the contract and today when i called to cancel i was shocked as they asked for 75% of service fees for balance contract period as termination charges which is around $800 so please show me the way to come out of it as i am sure many people must have gone thru my situation.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Thank you everyone for your time to discuss my post & i requested copy of my contract so if i will get it i will surely ... (more)

smartroute (Aug. 12, 2011 @ 2:50a) |

Please do so; and while you're at it, also try to find some periods and commas to add to your posts

greieras (Aug. 12, 2011 @ 6:45p) |

This is exactly what happened to us--although it was with a credit card processor and not ADT (who, thankfully we don't ... (more)

MsWho2 (Aug. 15, 2011 @ 10:00p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What does your contract say?

no, seriously, what does your contract say?

If you signed it without reading it, be glad there's no clause requiring you to be trampled by elephants by the light of a full moon.

soundtechie said:   no, seriously, what does your contract say?

If you signed it without reading it, be glad there's no clause requiring you to be trampled by elephants by the light of a full moon.

Seriously...if you replied to the post without reading ... do you think perhaps that the answer to the question...75% of service fees for balance contract period as termination charges ...

Mayne you could transfer the service to your home so it's not a waste.

As everyone else says, read the contract. Three years too late, but better late than never.

Edited to add: The majority of FWF posters simply fake their own death to get out of contracts like this.

Next time you talk to them use an oriental accent and tell them....
No fee ride!

Is the contract with the biz or you personally?
If it is with the biz, and it's shutting down, tell them to get in line.

JaxFL said:   soundtechie said:   no, seriously, what does your contract say?

Seriously...if you replied to the post without reading ... do you think perhaps that the answer to the question...75% of service fees for balance contract period as termination charges ...

Apparently you haven't read the post. It doesn't say that the contract says 75%, it says that the person on the phone asked for 75%. Which is our point: It doesn't matter what the OP says, what the telephone jockey says, what's right or what's fair. None of that matters. All that matters is: What does the contract say?

For that matter, I don't actually know that there isn't a moonlit elephant clause.

Yep get contract but also ask for a copy of the signed contract. If they can't show a copy you signed then you may be free.

Also was your business set up as a Corp? Was the ADT setup for the Business/corp? If so they can;t come after you just the business. And if you are closing then there is probably not much money left.

JaxFL said:   soundtechie said:   no, seriously, what does your contract say?

Isn't it ironic?

soundtechie said:   no, seriously, what does your contract say?

I think it says have a pitty party on an internet forum then pay 75% of the remaining service. Guess will have to find another form to host the pitty party. Be glad that you only have 2 years left and your lesson is a cheap one to learn, now you will READ the contract before you sign and do better business.

StevenColorado said:   The majority of FWF posters simply fake their own death to get out of contracts like this.

Is that why there's been a rash of "new user" alt ids lately? All makes sense now.

The current ADT Small Business Contract is a 3-year term with a cancellation fee of 90% of the remaining commitment. It doesn't seem unlikely that the your contract from several years ago was for 5-years with a 75% ETF, but you'd have to read it to be sure.

As an aside, kudos to ADT for making their contract terms so easy to find online.

ADT is famous for getting people to extend the contract without people actually knowing it. Usually, they come for a minor repair and in the invoice, the fine print mentions extending the contract a bazillion years. The receptionist/accountant usually will sign the bill slip blindly. I do not think it is enforceable. Ask for the original contract you signed. I would just stop paying. I hate ADT. Who pays $40 for alarm service?

xfmpcx said:    I hate ADT. Who pays $40 for alarm service?

Someone who wants an alarm on their small business? I don't know, just spitballing here. If you don't like the service, don't sign up.

I dumped ADT a few years ago and am very glad I did! I now have a much better alarm system with a lower monthly rate and excellent service.

ltcm said:   xfmpcx said:    I hate ADT. Who pays $40 for alarm service?

Someone stupid who wants an alarm on their small business? I don't know, just spitballing here. If you don't like the service, don't sign up.

Fixed your statement for you.

xfmpcx said:   ltcm said:   xfmpcx said:    I hate ADT. Who pays $40 for alarm service?

Someone stupid who wants an alarm on their small business? I don't know, just spitballing here. If you don't like the service, don't sign up.

Why does someone who wants an alarm on their business classified as stupid to you? I don't get it. I don't have a small biz nor have I ever had an alarm, but I could understand the point. Bad neighborhood + alarm = theft deterrent.

I find it Ironic given my post that I have to explain this. Someone who wants "something" and pays X for it when that same someone could spend Y for it given that Y is much less than X is stupid/azy. All things being equal.(I.E. apple to an apple) Does anyone have any good pictures/diagrams explaining this?

ltcm said:   xfmpcx said:   ltcm said:   xfmpcx said:    I hate ADT. Who pays $40 for alarm service?

Why does someone who wants an alarm on their business classified as stupid to you? I don't get it. I don't have a small biz nor have I ever had an alarm, but I could understand the point. Bad neighborhood + alarm = theft deterrent.

Mock Call:
ADT: Hello this is ADT, your alarm is going off.
Caller: We are in London and looters are in the store burning and pillaging everything.
ADT: Did you have the ADT sign clearly posted in the front?
Caller: umm, Yes I did, The looters took that too. Strangely, a similar sign turned up on eBay right now.
ADT: Well, surely you did have the stickers on the windows?
Caller: I did, don't know about Shirley, but the windows are broken now. The stickers are damaged.
ADT: Hold on a second while I put you on hold, Hello this is "generic alarm service for $10 a month" your alarm is going off...
ADT: Sorry about that, had to take another call...
ADT: We made sure to call the police so that when the rest of the looters are done pillaging the police can file a police report.
Caller: Thank you so much. The extra $30 I pay each month for your service is well worth it.
Caller: Think you can send us another ADT Sign and stickers to replace the ones that got stolen?
ADT: Sure, but you will need to sign this form with fine print that may extend your contract for 5 years.
Caller: Thanks ADT, I do not read those things anyway.
ADT: Let me know if you need any lifelock or similar protection for your identity. I dabble in that a little too.
Caller: I will. Thank you so much for warning me. If I did not see the looters on TV I would have never known.

once you get a copy of the original signed contract, please post the terms around termination.

another option might be is to transfer your monitoring service to another small business in the area. they would pick up the remaining years.

ltcm said:   xfmpcx said:   ltcm said:   xfmpcx said:    I hate ADT. Who pays $40 for alarm service?

It's not that they're stupid for wanting the alarm. It's that they're stupid for paying $40+ per month when comparable service can be had for much less, and with no contract.

We had a similar issue with my parents' alarm company. They had 'switched' alarm companies after their neighborhood was canvassed by summer salesmen who wanted to help them "to feel safe and protected" since there had been "recent break-ins in their (upper middle-class, very safe, semi-rural) neighborhood." My parents are 82 yrs. old and were not told the length of the contract or the terms of cancellation (which are never; I wouldn't be surprised if even death might require a transfer to another user to take over your contract). The contract is printed on that transparent yellow, perforated paper and the print is so small there is no way my mother, with macular degeneration, could have read it. I feel as if these salesman target older residents who are at home, scare them with fabricated tales of near-by violence, and then, smilingly, with great politeness, sign them up for a 5 yr. contract, requiring a transfer to another customer for it to be revoked. Even the sale of the house did not give them an opt-out. We had to get a letter from their new residence specifying that they were moving to an assisted-living facility, a letter from the doctor confirming a diagnosis of "Alzheimer's." I was told over the phone that they would then "consider" the case. Needless to say, I sent the required documentation, on lawyer's letterhead. ($100). The thing that makes it even more reprehensible is that my parents paid for this system for 3 yrs ($39.99/mo) and could never figure out how to use it, so they never turned it on! They should have just bought the ADT sign on eBay and planted it in the front yard. These companies are very disreputable and should be investigated by the attorney general's office, which I understand is being done in some states.

Thank you everyone for your time to discuss my post & i requested copy of my contract so if i will get it i will surely post terms & condition but still i puzzled to get out of this big damage.

smartroute said:   Thank you everyone for your time to discuss my post & i requested copy of my contract so if i will get it i will surely post terms & condition but still i puzzled to get out of this big damage.

Please do so; and while you're at it, also try to find some periods and commas to add to your posts

Marlin1975 said:   Yep get contract but also ask for a copy of the signed contract. If they can't show a copy you signed then you may be free.

This is exactly what happened to us--although it was with a credit card processor and not ADT (who, thankfully we don't use at our business).

When I called to cancel our Merchant Services Account after 5 years, was told I was under contract for another year because I hadn't given the proper notice (don't ask)--and would have to pay a $500 ETF if I wanted out. I asked the company to send me proof I agreed to the contract and the ETF. I got 8 pages of documentation I'd never seen before -- all unsigned -- with a one page fee schedule that had my name printed in on the signature line. No signatures whatsoever.

I called a second time to ask for a copy of the signed contract and was told by the agent I spoke with that it didn't matter if I signed the contract or not, I agreed to the terms when I began processing cards with the company.

Needless to say this was news to me.

What bothered me most was not the ETF (which as many in this thread had stated, had I agreed to, I would have had to have eaten) but rather the arrogant and obnoxious attitude of every single person I spoke with.

So I filed a complaint with the BBB outlining the experience and the lack of a signed agreement. Two weeks later I got a lovely call from someone in corporate asking why I wanted to leave and if there was anything they could do to keep my business.

After I stopped laughing I assured the gentleman that, ummm...no thanks, I would prefer to move on.

I wasn't billed anything and the company reported to the BBB that it would not bill me going forward.

I learned a lot of stuff from this encounter. First, these companies are quite aggressive in attempting retention. I was bullied, belittled and threatened on every call I initiated. It was obnoxious and I can understand why people feel so angry and helpless.

Second, the contract I supposedly reviewed had print so ridiculously small that my 16 year old daughter couldn't read it--and it was 8 pages long. (I would bet that most average-sized paperbacks have fewer words.) I ended up having to scan and zoom the agreement in order to make out what the contract said. I am not sure how the average person can be expected to decipher, never mind comprehend what they are being given.

Third--the agents/salespeople some of these providers use to close the deal (in our case a mid-level bank manager who was far more interested in getting the equipment installed, making sure he got his commission for the sale and getting the hell out) are incredibly sloppy in the way they present the contracts they expect merchants to sign--if, as in our case, they even remember to provide the contract and get the document signed at all, which in our case, they apparently did not.

So, while I agree that you as the consumer/vendor better damn well know what you are agreeing to when entering in to these sorts of agreements, there is apparently absolutely no law or regulation in place to force these companies to give the merchant a document that is readable without a microscope.

After my experience, I can only conclude that these sorts of tactics are deliberate.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014