Can I take setup 403b with 401k max

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello.

I have a fulltime job with a 401k and then am part-time faculty at a college.

I max out the 401k at my main employer.

My college part time benefits offers a 403b (tiaa cref mentioned it was a supplemental annuity type).

Since I max out my 401k to the legal limit (I believe 16.5k), can I also signup on my partime job and defer all that income into the 403b? We are talking about $2500 to $4500 a year in total income from this position.

thanks

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

larrybr45 said:   Hello.

I have a fulltime job with a 401k and then am part-time faculty at a college.

I max out the 401k at my main employer.

My college part time benefits offers a 403b (tiaa cref mentioned it was a supplemental annuity type).

Since I max out my 401k to the legal limit (I believe 16.5k), can I also signup on my partime job and defer all that income into the 403b? We are talking about $2500 to $4500 a year in total income from this position.

thanks

I know you can max out both the 457 limit and the 403b but in your case, I believe the answer is NO.

The limit that you are speaking is called a "Salary Deferred Contribution" and both 401k and 403b constitute those. So, no, you do not get a separate limit for each. That being said, if you have the opportunity to receive a match from both jobs, manipulate your contributions so that you can receive the maximum match from each employer as matches have a separate limits (well over $40k/year, IIRC). For instance, this might mean that you lower your contributions at your full-time job so that you can receive a match from the part-time job. Again, you will have to take all of the factors into account to determine the right mix for you. IANAL nor an accountant or a tax professional....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014