• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just got this email from PenFed... I searched but nothing came up, or I didn't do it well enough.

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card
5X Points on Dining Purchases*
5X Points on Hotel Purchases*

That's in addition to
5X Points on Airfare Purchases
1X Points on All Other Purchases

Plus

20,000 bonus points when you spend $650 in the first three months
No Annual Fee
No Foreign Transaction Fee

Terms: https://www.penfed.org/usedBehindPin/Form1217-AMEX-Summary-of-Te...

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

hmmmm. Don't see any mension of 5x points for dining or hotel purchases at their site. Where is that information coming from? thanks.

It was an email offer. I posted a pdf of a screen print.

Got the same email. Note that hotel and dining bonus points is valid only till 8/31/11. Not really useful since it might be at least ten days by the time you get the card in the mail.

The dining/hotel has been valid since the beginning of June I believe for ALL cardholders.

I also got a targeted 5x gas shortly before that for the same time frame. (Which is nice for getting 5% off Costco gas)

I've had this card all summer and have been able to rack up almost 40,000 points with it. I plan to buy a bunch of $100 restaurant gift cards before 8/31 for the 5x bonus.

My question is if this card is worth using after 8/31. The only bonus is 5x airfare, otherwise you get 1 point per dollar and I can do a lot better with other cards.

No foreign transaction fee.

And no reason to assume they wont' have more bonus categories in the future.

Does anyone know at what rate you can redeem these points for cash/statement credits?

ScreamingDaisy said:   Does anyone know at what rate you can redeem these points for cash/statement credits?

I don't recall being able to redeem points for cash. You can do gift cards for many restaurants, some stores, a couple of airlines, a few hundred merchandise options. I'm planning to get a $500 royal caribbean GC when I hit 50,000 points. (you could also get a $100 gc for 10,000 points)

Since there is no annual fee, I'll just keep the card in the desk and keep my eyes peeled for bonus categories.

Just got this email:
-----------------------------------------
A Special Holiday Bonus, Just For You!

Dear cpaynter,

As a valued PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® cardmember, we are excited to bring you this special offer that allows you to earn a 25% bonus on your points, just for using your card!

Our Gift to You

Let PenFed reward you with a bonus this holiday season on all your purchases that you make with your PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express® Card. For a limited time, earn 25% extra points on each purchase you make between October1 and December 31, 2011.

And remember, every time you use your Card, you will also enjoy:

5X points on all airfare purchases
1X points on all other purchases
No cap on the number of points you can earn
No PenFed foreign transaction fee
Give yourself that holiday bonus you deserve, just for being a loyal cardmember with us! But hurry, this offer runs for a limited time only!

--------------------------------------

So, in Q4 you're getting 6.25% on airfare and 1.25% on everything else.

But I'm puzzled about the wording on the foreign transaction fee. "No PenFed foreign transaction fee" makes it sound like they're leaving open the possibility of AMEX charging a transaction fee, but that PenFed wouldn't add on to that. Am I just being cynical?

Chris.

I just used the Penfed AMEX in Canada. No fees. It's possible AMEX adds fees before they do the exchange rate, but there was nothing listed as fees.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014