Capital One® Cash Credit Card

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
I miss Zayre

n/t

No you STFU. Get lost kiddo.

grex23 said:   Dunno. It has the 0% purchase, but the 1.50% isn't that attractive because its only 1% per statement cycle, then .50% at the end of the year.

Venture is 1.25 miles all the time so I believe it comes out to more long term.

But whether you do Venture or Capital One Cash, both seem to be good cards overall for excellent credit customers.

In the "long term", why does it matter when you get your CashBack or miles (assuming you're not taking your miles and reinvesting it somewhere for that year)? The main question is whether you value 1.25 miles or 1.5% CashBack.

Grex23, you are pretty interesting. If you can't find $167 to charge things on a month, why even bother trying to get the most rewards you can? Makes no sense.

It's a good card though. Might consider it once my Schwab 2% gets tossed away.

With the Venture you can deposit the 1.25% in the bank as soon as you have enough and everything else can be cashed out and put into bank accounts quicker. Since you are earning interest and quicker on these rewards, the 1.25 Mile Venture even if you use it for Cash Back seems like it is the better deal overall.

However, for those who have the Venture and used up the 0% Purchase rate and bonus incentives if any, the new Capital One Cash Card comes in as a good offer. Then after the year is up, switch back to the Capital One Venture or whatever other cards are out by then.

Then you have other cards for other purposes out there. Yawn.

Its hard to optimize CC's since each credit profile and user is different.

"In the "long term", why does it matter when you get your CashBack or miles (assuming you're not taking your miles and reinvesting it somewhere for that year)? The main question is whether you value 1.25 miles or 1.5% CashBack"

Yes it does. The Miles can be used for cash or rewards. People are free to choose what they want though.

Please do the math and tell me when 1.25% Cash Back immediately is better than 1% now and .5% Cash Back at the end of the year.

Hint: if you're not making >100% on your money, the 1.5% is a better deal.

(Sorry for being a little condescending, but when you act like an expert on stuff that you don't really know much about, expect to get some backlash.)

And why does grex care anyway? Seems like he claims to spend only about $1200 a year on his credit cards, thus would get a whopping $18 back at years end. Stop trolling.

This is a good deal for a credit card even without the bonus.

I still think he's trolling. Of the 47 posts on this topic, 19 of them are his.. and only the first of his was of any value, the OP. His tag says "Senior Member" but it almost seems like it's his first time posting in FWF.

Please do the math and tell me when 1.25% Cash Back immediately is better than 1% now and .5% Cash Back at the end of the year.

Hint: One means the bank sits with the .50% for the whole year.

The other means they shell out the .25% on the regular rewards intervals.

Either way the merchant fees are generally around 2% so for those pay in full customers they make very little.

I would prefer 1.25% monthly vs the 1% monthly and 50% of that back at the end of the year between the two.

grex23 said:   Please do the math and tell me when 1.25% Cash Back immediately is better than 1% now and .5% Cash Back at the end of the year.

Either way the merchant fees are generally around 2% so for those pay in full customers they make very little.

I would prefer 1.25% monthly vs the 1% monthly and 50% of that back at the end of the year between the two.

Haha.. your posts are too well written for you to be this stupid. TROLL!!

I shall stop feeding you now. Thanks for the heads up on the card.

grex23 said:   Please do the math and tell me when 1.25% Cash Back immediately is better than 1% now and .5% Cash Back at the end of the year.

You HAVE to be trolling, so I don't know why I'm wasting my time on this...

You spend under $2000 a year on your card. That means at the maximum $2K you'd get $25 a year Cash Back at 1.25% (with that astronomical sum, I can understand your obsessing over the importance of each card!). At 1% with the end of the year bonus, you'd get $20 immediately and $10 at the end of the year for $30 total. So you're saying, you could take that $5 more you get immediately and make more than the $10 more you'd get at 1.5%?? That's a 100% return (actually less since the purchases would be made throughout the year).

How is this compare with this:
Fidelity® Investment Rewards® Visa Signature® Card
Fidelity Credit Card
Invest in your future with everyday purchases.

Turn 1.5% of purchases into a deposit in your Fidelity account (earn 2% once you've spent $15,000 annually)†
No limits on cash rewards
No annual fee

I would think the Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature Card is comparable to this new Capital1 Cash credit card. Only problems with fidelity visa is that you must earn a min 5k points to redeem, and they charge 3% for transactions made in foreign currency or in US dollars processed outside the US. Capital1 does not. Comparing VentureOne vs Cash, I'd take the cash. But, compare the 2 with targeted offers for VentureOne, I'd take Venture since they offered me no balance transfer BT fees or cash advance fees. But, for some people, I can see where the Chase Freedom or Discover or Citi Dividend World (which all have rotating 5% categories) or AMX Premier Reward Gold Card (first-year annual fee waived only; and when they offered 50,000MR after $500 spend in first 3 months) is better.

I signed up with this card. I have the fidelity Visa card but they won't transfer the points into my account without jumping through some hoops first. For a straight up 1% plus .5% at the end of the year, I am all over this. I was approved for it and hopefully they give me more than the $1000 cap I still have on my first Capital One credit card I got from them 12 years ago when I was 18.

I recently refinanced my house and I am well over the FICO 720 minimum you need to get a car at a low apr. I also have no credit card debt either.

What is bad is when you have too many cards with CashBack and/or points on them and something better comes out and you just want to continue using one single card.

Due to balance transfers (0%'s), I wound up with loads of open accounts and only a few of them have been closed or consolidated in the mix.

However out of all the firms right now, Capital One has the vast majority of my business and this card did catch my eye and after I finish off with Chase I will likely apply for this one. The problem is Chase has some benefits especially for travel but this is a World MasterCard from Capital One and as such is more competitive even though its not a World MasterCard elite.

So after Im finished with Chase I will likely move all my business over to Capital One yet again with this new card. While the rewards are year end and I like the Venture, the Mastercard World tier is superior in other respects.

So Im not quite ready for this new card (yet). Considering 0% Purchase and 1% then 50% at the end of the year, it is excellent card for using a full year.

grex23 said:   What is bad is when you have too many cards with CashBack and/or points on them and something better comes out and you just want to continue using one single card.

Due to balance transfers (0%'s), I wound up with loads of open accounts and only a few of them have been closed or consolidated in the mix.

However out of all the firms right now, Capital One has the vast majority of my business and this card did catch my eye and after I finish off with Chase I will likely apply for this one. The problem is Chase has some benefits especially for travel but this is a World MasterCard from Capital One and as such is more competitive even though its not a World MasterCard elite.

So after Im finished with Chase I will likely move all my business over to Capital One yet again with this new card. While the rewards are year end and I like the Venture, the Mastercard World tier is superior in other respects.

So Im not quite ready for this new card (yet). Considering 0% Purchase and 1% then 50% at the end of the year, it is excellent card for using a full year.

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but c'mon, you have to call the venture one "premium" at least once.

Premium is the upcoming Capital One World Mastercard Elite when they acquire HSBC assuming they co-brand the Saks card.

The Cash Rewards is a World Mastercard so its a higher tier than the Visa Signature product depending on benefits offered.

Had Cash Rewards been out when I applied for the Venture with a World Mastercard I would have gotten it.

It is a very nice card in the marketplace. World Mastercard has some advantages over Visa Signature. Each though have different benefits.

Saw this post and I called Capital One about my No hassle cash card, asked to convert, they told me they will be offering "change ups" to "qualified" people started september 8th, lets hope its a go, would much rather, swap out my current card, then take a hard pull.

Conversion doesn't get you 0% for 12 months or $100 bonus for $500 in purchases for the 1st 3 months.

Has anyone noticed that they took away the 2% gas and grocery card with no annual fee for Excellent credit? It seems like only the one with $39 fee exists now.

Grex, how much CashBack annually are you getting that this is even a conversation worth having?

freeka said:   Has anyone noticed that they took away the 2% gas and grocery card with no annual fee for Excellent credit? It seems like only the one with $39 fee exists now.

I just got a couple mailers a week ago, so not sure if it is gone. Both said no annual fee.

foxhopper said:   freeka said:   Has anyone noticed that they took away the 2% gas and grocery card with no annual fee for Excellent credit? It seems like only the one with $39 fee exists now.

I just got a couple mailers a week ago, so not sure if it is gone. Both said no annual fee.

Same here.

The real danger is that you churn a bunch of suspicious looking items and CapOne closes your card and you don't get the 50% bonus at year end. It you're not worrying about this, your not churning hard enough .

qwerty12345otron said:   foxhopper said:   freeka said:   Has anyone noticed that they took away the 2% gas and grocery card with no annual fee for Excellent credit? It seems like only the one with $39 fee exists now.I just got a couple mailers a week ago, so not sure if it is gone. Both said no annual fee.
Same here.
I also noticed their NoHassle Rewards Card gone from Capital1 website. The mailers must have been printed before they chose to stop allowing new, direct card apps, imho.

I'm a low spender and the Blue Cash cards look better by far.

grex23 said:   Neither. I realize that people shouldn't overspend or spend $500 to get $100 back which is a bad ROI.

Just like how people got themselves into the mortgage mess and couldn't pay their bills.

I own my place outright and have no debt and never will. As Suzie Orman says, you can't afford it. If I called into the show and mentioned this deal to her: She would say DENIED. Not sure if her show is still on CNBC or not.

Buy dollar coins. Spend $500 for $600 back.

bankdealsrule said:   qwerty12345otron said:   foxhopper said:   freeka said:   Has anyone noticed that they took away the 2% gas and grocery card with no annual fee for Excellent credit? It seems like only the one with $39 fee exists now.I just got a couple mailers a week ago, so not sure if it is gone. Both said no annual fee.
Same here.
I also noticed their NoHassle Rewards Card gone from Capital1 website. The mailers must have been printed before they chose to stop allowing new, direct card apps, imho.

I just received today another Cap one Platinum Mastercard offer with no annual fee, and 2% gas and grocery, 1% everything else. It came in a rather large yellow mailer.

Was able to "upgrade" to the Cash Back card. My prior card was an older miles card that only got 1 mile per dollar. For me its a good back up card to my 2% fia card which may or may not be going away. since i upgraded they used my anniversary date for the 50% bonus from my orgional card so my anniversary date is next month so whatever i charge this month will get the 50% bonus in October.

One additional data point, the few miles i had on my card were converted to cash and will also get the 50% bonus. Checked online and my account was updated and shows a cash balance in rewards

For those who applied: How long did approval take? Mine didn't take the usual 60 seconds because there was a system error when I applied and it said to apply again. Yet through creditkarma I saw an inquiry was run and I checked Capital One's check status and it says pending and its been that way for several days.

Other times with Capital One were instant approvals and quick delivery of the card a few days later.

I guess I got unlucky by doing it at the wrong time. Will just wait for their response.

But I know whenever problems like that happen never to retry because it will generate more inquiries or a double purchase so in a worst case I had an inquiry generated for nothing. I had 2 Capital One Inquiries on my bureau and the other will expire in 2012 so it looks like if this one was a bust I'll wait for mid 2012 to reapply.

Most likely outcome: Capital One approves and I get the card in the mail.

grex23 said:   For those who applied: How long did approval take?I applied for the card on the 23rd, was instantly approved and received the card last weekend. I did also receive an email to let me know they were mailing me a card.

Weird. Didn't receive any such email or any contacts. The status just says its still in review. The system told me to reapply but it generated an inquiry without me reapplying as per a check on Credit Karma and now its sitting in limbo waiting for review.

Been like that for several days now. Had the system worked, it would have been an instant approval.

Yeah this time I didn't get an instant so I guess they are just waiting to review the application. Hopefully this week the system gets updated or I get a letter and/or the card in the mail.

OK grex after reading many of your posts on fwf, my question is this: SuperNova or Northern Lights?

Neither. Northern Trust considering this is fatwallet.

Sorta weird how Capital One still says application is in review after several days now though so I'll get some contact back. Worst case I get denied (dunno why) or the application process failed due to website error and I'll reapply next year.

Will figure out what happened soon.

1800933 Status check # says Application is in review and they will mail more information which I'll receive in 10 days. Been saying that for several days now.

grex23 said:   Neither. Northern Trust considering this is fatwallet.

Sorta weird how Capital One still says application is in review after several days now though so I'll get some contact back. Worst case I get denied (dunno why) or the application process failed due to website error and I'll reapply next year.

Will figure out what happened soon.

1800933 Status check # says Application is in review and they will mail more information which I'll receive in 10 days. Been saying that for several days now.

Hello, Cap One here. You got denied because we read your responses in this thread....

We've seen how you SCREAM and FREAK out over any banks you hate, so we just wanted to make sure that you NEVER got into our sytem.

Besides, we saw you agonizing over your application..... OMG, 20 bucks in Cash Back!!! WOW! We tip that to girls that smile (and give hundreds for the lapdances).

And you can't find something to spend 500 bucks on? Jeez, that is my DAILY gambling habit...

Ok, going to BofA to deposit my CitiBank Student loan payoff check now... MAN, I love these CashBack cards.

PS, should I cancel my BofA credit card with a $50K+ limit, because Suzy Orman thinks I might actually USE IT??? I was goin gto ask Clark Howard, but he creeps me out.... lol!!!

funny......

Guess Capital One's system probably says everyone is under review if they fail the instant check or if the system fails.

An approval or denial shouldn't take more than a day but its been in limbo saying under review for multiple days now. Perhaps it says that till they mail out the card finally.

Gotta give it more time. If I don't get any mail I'll just leave it alone and let the inquiry run off eventually. But I should get something letting me know if there is a holdup and approval or denial.

Not even a phone call from them so far asking any questions.

Perfect FICO 800+ Score. No lates. Large paybacks. Same address for multiple years. Own home in full. All cards paid in full on bureau with 0 utilization.

My own guess is the card was mailed and sent to me already but the website messup could mean a failed application but if the inquiry was run, Im sort of assuming they attempted to process my info electronically but failed and did a manual review.

jtdeals said:   grex23 said:   For those who applied: How long did approval take?I applied for the card on the 23rd, was instantly approved and received the card last weekend. I did also receive an email to let me know they were mailing me a card.This has got to be one of the fastest rewards I've participated in!

8/27 Applied/approved instantly
9/1 Card received
9/2 $500 spent
9/7 $105 rewards balance appears
9/8 Rewards applied to balance!

I mentioned this thread first, have perfect credit and didn't even get the card.

Applied Early 09/2011. Got an error and was told to reapply on the website, but I checked and saw an inquiry was run anyways. Checked status via 8009557070, says application is under review.
9/10/11 still says application is under review.
Called in on 9/9/11 to speak to a live representative to make sure everything was fine and asked if they needed anymore information from me and they didn't. Wouldn't say if I got accepted or denied over the phone.

So I'll find out next week, since they either have to mail a card, or a letter (asking for more information or outright denial).

Will find out soon.

This card appears to have the Price Protection benefit according to the benefits guide.

Link to benefits guide

Looks like this new offering has overwhelmed the new accounts department computers. If one did not get instant approval and gets approved subsequently, it may take up to a month to get cards from them.

The card came out at the end of August, but I suspect many people have not got their cards (or even had a card number created as yet I hear). The three months bonus time starts from the time the account is created.

Between this and the Venture billion miles promo, Capital One is skyrocketing with new accounts. Once they get the ING/HSBC folks over late 2012, it is going to be a busy bank.

At least for HSBC, I have heard Capital One will offer jobs to all US HSBC employees (likely need increased call center capacity).

Rasheed

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.