• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Will the 10% bonus shows up when i try to redeem? I bought a United ticket from Priceline. But there shows no bonus at all.

rated:
No, it shows on your next statement.

rated:
Really hope that the 2% doesn't go away for grandfathered holders. As is, this is a great card. @1%, Barclay's atrocious customer service would become an intolerable negative and my PL card would have to go sock drawer diving.

rated:
tomprc said:   Will the 10% bonus shows up when i try to redeem? I bought a United ticket from Priceline. But there shows no bonus at all.
A. Note how many points you have.
B. Note how many it says you are redeeming.
Right after you redeem, you will see that your balance of is greater than A-B, reflecting the 10% bonus.

rated:
Confirming data point A charge at a Hyatt resort in Mexico posted today, and *did* still receive the 10% travel bonus.

No big surprise, given what we've heard, but still nice to see.

rated:
sullim4 said:   Truth is, no one really knows. I tend to think the 2% will stick... and even if it doesn't, at 1% Cash Back, redeeming for Priceline purchases will net you about 1.3% back in additional savings over and above the standard Cash Back. Still beats Citi Double Cash.

I can't emphasize enough how much I like this card... Priceline's hotel rates are typically the cheapest. Add the Cash Back, discount on redemption, 10% refund in points, FW Cash Back, and occasional Priceline coupon, and it's far and away the best hotel rewards program out there, particularly for a site that has no formal rewards program!

If you're thinking just​ Travel, doesn't the Orbitz credit card beat this with the 10% back on hotel bookings, 6% on flights, and 2% overall?  Or does Priceline beat Orbitz substantially on prices on their website?

rated:
mattun said:   
sullim4 said:   Truth is, no one really knows. I tend to think the 2% will stick... and even if it doesn't, at 1% Cash Back, redeeming for Priceline purchases will net you about 1.3% back in additional savings over and above the standard Cash Back. Still beats Citi Double Cash.

I can't emphasize enough how much I like this card... Priceline's hotel rates are typically the cheapest. Add the Cash Back, discount on redemption, 10% refund in points, FW Cash Back, and occasional Priceline coupon, and it's far and away the best hotel rewards program out there, particularly for a site that has no formal rewards program!

If you're thinking just​ Travel, doesn't the Orbitz credit card beat this with the 10% back on hotel bookings, 6% on flights, and 2% overall?  Or does Priceline beat Orbitz substantially on prices on their website?

Priceline (grandfathered):
5% Cash Back on NYOP Priceline purchases
2% Cash Back everywhere else
10% dividend when points redeemed towards travel purchase
Can be redeemed as cash or used at 50% bonus value towards Priceline NYOP redemption
Altogether, this is a bit complicated as there are multiple earning and redeeming valuations.  But if you have enough Priceline NYOP purchases, this card is 3.3% Cash Back on all purchases (8.25% on NYOP purchases) (see rlaw's post on 9/9/15 for proof).  Even if you have no Priceline NYOP purchases, this card is 2.2% Cash Back when redeemed towards travel.  And if you have no travel purchases, this card is still 2% Cash Back everywhere and easily dominates Orbitz since Orbitz requires using the rewards @ Orbitz to cash out.

Orbitz card really just gives 5% in Orbucks on Orbitz purchases or 2% Orbucks everywhere else.  They get to 10% for hotels / 6% for airfare because all Orbitz bookings earn 5% for hotels (booked in mobile app, 3% otherwise) / 1% for airfare.  So they're stacking the standard Orbitz benefits with the card bonus to get to the 10%/6% statement.  In other words, the Priceline card can be used on Orbitz bookings and earn 7.2% (5% Orbucks + 2.2% cash) / 3.2% (1% Orbucks + 2.2% cash) by their logic.  I think the flexibility of Priceline's rewards and the fact that it is a clear winner on non-bonused purchases (2.2% / 3.3% towards travel vs 2% Orbucks OR 2% cash vs non-cash-equivalent Orbucks) make it the winner.  But of course, if you don't have a grandfathered Priceline card, it doesn't matter.

rated:
I looked at the Orbit card in detail and compared it to the Price|ine card
2% Price|ine Rewards Visa Stats
5.00% on Price|ine NYOP/Express Purchases
2.00% on Everything Else
10% Redemption Bonus When Redeemed Toward Travel
1/3 Redemption Cost Reduction when Redeeming For NYOP/Express Purchases
results in...

2.00% on Everything
~2.22% on Everything if Redeemed against Travel
~3.49% on Everything if Redeemed against Price|ine NYOP/Express Purchases
~8.33% solely used for Price|ine NYOP/Express Purchases

Orbit Rewards Visa Stats

• 5.00% Orbucks on Orbit Bookings most notably Flights
  • 2.00% Orbucks on all other purchases

The advertised 6% on their website factors in the flight booking bonus of 1% in Orbucks which can be done with any card.
Same with the 10% for hotel, you get back 5% in orbucks just using Orbit as a merchant

Advantages of Orbit Rewards Visa

• 5% in Orbucks on Flights booked through Orbit (Net: 6% [See Point 2]) -- Compared Price|ine would get 3.49% [+1% in Orbucks] (net 4.49%) if booking through Orbit although it should be noted Price|ine users are not locked into Orbit, if they prefer they can use another rewards program like E×pedia.

The caveat here is, there aren't really any other competitive reward programs for flights.

Disadvantages of Orbit Rewards Visa

1. Orbucks cannot be redeemed for cash equivalents,
They can only be redeemed for Hotel Stays using Orbit. And not all hotel stays are eligible... 
Orbitz said: Note: Orbucks can not be used towards a booking at a Starwood Hotel. Starwood hotels include the chains of Sheraton, Westin, Four Points, W Hotels, Le Meridian, aloft, element, The Luxury Collection, or St. Regis.

2. Orbucks have limitations in earning potential**
Orbitz said: Eligible Flights: The maximum earn for a Silver member is $50 in Orbucks per year; for a Gold member, the maximum earn is $100 in Orbucks per year; and for a Platinum member, the maximum earn is $400 in Orbucks per year.

This one is interesting
It doesn't directly effect the Cash-back, you will still get 5% and 2% in Orbucks for all your purchases even past the limit,
Rather it decreases your standard flight reward from 1% to 0% once you reach the cap.
Since your locked into Orbit,

Your total bonus for flight bookings (merchant + credit card) eventually goes from 6% to 5%. (Really Clever!)
For Price|ine users they are also effected going from 4.49%[1% Orbucks] to 3.49%[0% Orbucks],
but Price|ine can always switch merchants once the cap is reached, not an option if your trapped in the Orbit Ecosystem.

**To change tiers it is necessary to do multiple hotel stays.

Conclusion:
As a everyday spender Price|ine wins hands down, the only case where Orbit wins is as a pure flight card and again only if hotel bookings are a major cost for you.

Everyday Spending
Flexibility:
Price|ines 2% Cash vs Orbit 2% Hotel Redemption
Value:
Price|ine ~3.49% Hotel Redemption vs Orbit 2% Hotel Redemption

Pure Orbit Flight Card:
Price|ine ~3.49% Hotel Redemption vs Orbit 5% Hotel Redemption

Changelog:Formating

rated:
tomprc said:   Will the 10% bonus shows up when i try to redeem? I bought a United ticket from Priceline. But there shows no bonus at all.
  OK can anyone make sense of my statement:

10% Travel Redemption Bonus + 0 

Activities:

11/14 11/16 Priceline Rewards Credit 2,500 Points -$25.00
12/02 12/02 REWARDS CREDIT -$300.00 12/03

The $300 rewards credit is toward to flight ticket.  How can the math work?

rated:
If it qualified for the 10% bonus it would have shown up right after you made the redemption.

I usually use the spending analyzer before making any redemption to see if they land in travel.

You can find it under Tools.

rated:
Yes. But i am more confused about the 20000 points deduction on $300 redemption. This may be a system error.

rated:
So to be clear, what posts on the card as PLN to get 3.3% redemptions? Hotel NYOP/Express Deals, NYOP Flights, NYOP Rental cards...what else? Does any ordinary purchase from Priceline actually post as Priceline? Or is it always just the respective airline/hotel unless it's NYOP/Express Deal?

rated:
My Priceline Visa is a Visa Signature version so I get a few benefits that the regular Visa version (which I had originally but got upgraded) does not have. The cool thing is recently Priceline improved the benefits to include a few great ones like Price Protection (Price drops within 4 months you get a check) and Return Protection (If the merchant won't take the return withing 3 months Visa will). I wanted to make these benefits well known to the FW community because I don't think they are well publicized. You can find the benefits for your specific card here . The PDF list of all the benefits can be found directly here . I've listed some of the best benefits below:

Price Protection
The Price Protection benefit assists you in achieving the best possible price on
products you buy entirely with an eligible card. If you buy an eligible item with
your card in the United States and see a printed advertisement of it for less
at any retail store within one hundred and twenty (120) days of the original
purchase date, simply file a valid claim and we will refund the difference
up to $250.00 per item. This benefit is limited to $1,000.00 a year per
cardmember’s eligible account.

My Experience with Price Protection: I bought a Nexus 6P a month ago. Since then Google is running a $50 off sale. I received the terms of the benefit and was annoyed to see that "internet prices" were not covered. Undeterred I called the number and tried to file a claim, I told them it was an online price and they said that's not a problem, great. Within 3 days after filing the claim I got an email saying my claim was denied because "Storewide sales and special discounts are not covered under the Price Protection program." I was upset because in the terms did not say anything about "Storewide sales" being excluded and the $50 sale certainly did not fall under a "Special Discount" (Whatever that is). I called back and appealed, they immediately escalated the issue to a supervisor and said I would get a call back within 1 business day. Next day I got a call back from a Supervisor and they approved my claim, success! Now I'm waiting for my $50 check. If anyone else files a Price Protection claim please let us know what your experience is. I want to see how reliable / fair they are at handling these claims. I have a Citi card that also has this benefit (they call is Price Rewind) and Citi has been great at honoring my claims but the terms are 3 months from purchase date and with Priceline it's 4 months.

Purchase Security
Within the first ninety (90) days of the date of purchase, Purchase Security
will, at the Benefit Administrator’s discretion, replace, repair, or reimburse
you for eligible items of personal property purchased entirely with your
eligible Visa Signature card up to a maximum of $500 per claim and
$50,000 per cardmember,* in the event of theft, damage due to fire,
vandalism, accidentally discharged water, or certain weather conditions.

Return Protection
Return Protection is coverage that will reimburse you for the cost of an
eligible item of personal property within ninety (90) days of the date it was
purchased entirely with your eligible card if you are not satisfied with it and
the retailer won’t allow it to be returned.

Warranty Manager Service Extended Warranty Protection
Warranty Manager Service Extended Warranty Protection doubles the period
of repair service under the manufacturer’s written U.S. warranty up to a
maximum of one (1) additional year on many items of personal property
which have a valid original manufacturer’s written U.S. repair warranty
of three (3) years or less and which you have purchased entirely on your
eligible Visa Signature card.

rated:
Sadly, I can now officially confirm that Priceline vacation packages do not qualify for 5% back. I only got 2% back.  However, vacation package purchases DO qualify for the 33% discount on redeemable points.  I.e., for a $1000 purchase, you do not need to redeem 100,000 points, instead, it costs you 66,667 points.

However, in the good news department, any retail hotels that are "pay now" DO qualify for 5% back as well as the 33% discount on points needed to redeem. This is, of course, in addition to the usual Express Deals and NYOP transactions that do qualify.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016