• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
For some reason when I click on spend analyzer, nothing shows, the rest of the site works fine...

rated:
I had the same issue in chrome- switched to IE and it worked fine.

rated:
Latke said:   VERY easy to see which travel charges will qualify- go to tools, spend analyzer, and sort by travel charges- you'll see all the travel charges, which should match up with the 10% bonus

Great tip - did this with a recent hotel booking (booked directly through Marriott) and got the bonus.  Awesome!

rated:
n/m - got it

rated:
myfrogger said:   I was told that currently there are no foreign transaction fees. You could double check with customer service.
  Just to confirm, I used this card in Vancouver this past weekend and there were no foreign transaction fees.

rated:
And it's only NYOP/express deal Priceline purchases that get a 50% bump? Have they killed the 50% bump for ordinary Priceline flight purchases over $800?

rated:
Very refreshing to see some good news in the Financial forum for a change.

rated:
Wow, I just redeemed an Express Deal hotel. The charge was $271.06.

This came up as 18,071 points needed to redeem... so the NYOP point discount still applies. On top of that, I got the 10% rebate. With the legacy 2% version of this card, I got an effective 3.2% Cash Back on this redemption, PLUS the CB I got via a portal click-through on the original purchase.

Shatner is now entrenched in my wallet's first spot as a daily spender.

rated:
Am I correct that regular travel purchases on Priceline (not NYOP)are treated no more favorably than other travel purchases -- so that there is no benefit to redeeming points against airline tickets that I happened to book through Priceline.com over redeeming points against train tickets bought elsewhere?

rated:
I have purchased retail airfare through Priceline before, and the charge itself actually comes via the airline.  As an example, if you buy a ticket on American, you will be charged by American, NOT by Priceline.

Where this gets hazy is the prepaid, cancellable hotels that they serve up.  I believe those are actually charged by Priceline rather than the hotel.  If that's the case, I'd be curious to know if they qualify for the NYOP/Express Deal bonus, or not.

rated:
Has anyone used their Priceline visa for funding bank accounts? Others have reported that barclay's arrival card is coded as a purchase when funding a bank account. It would be great to use the Priceline visa for this purpose.

rated:
Which bank?

rated:
myfrogger said:   Which bank?
  I was considering citigold, but there are others.

rated:
I funded Pinnacle Nebraska and Santander and both were coded as purchases.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   Am I correct that regular travel purchases on Priceline (not NYOP)are treated no more favorably than other travel purchases -- so that there is no benefit to redeeming points against airline tickets that I happened to book through Priceline.com over redeeming points against train tickets bought elsewhere?

Very curious to figure this out right now

rated:
ZJamaican said:   
lithopedion said:   
ZJamaican said:   Just wanted to point out that with the new 10% bonus + the NYOP redemption tier upgrade this card is now effectively a 3.3% CashBack card for "everyday" purchases and a 8.25% CB card for NYOP/Express deal purchases as long as you always redeem against a NYOP/Express deal purchase. This is pretty huge imo and makes this card the highest CB card that I know of. With the elimination of the FTF and 120 days to redeem it's an amazing upgrade, best one I've seen for credit card. When I first got this card I thought it's days were numbered given it was already offering 2% CB and most 2% don't last very long. This was an awesome surprise.

Trying to understand.. how did you calculate 3.3 and 8.25% ?

It's a little tricky and lengthy to explain in detail especially with the new 10% travel bonus and there's a few different ways to calculate the effective CB rate but I chose this sort of logical flow route:

Money Spent on an "Everyday Purchase" $833.50
Points Earned from Purchase (2 Points/Dollar) / Points needed to Redeem a $25 NYOP Purchase 1,667
NYOP/Express Deal Transaction to Redeem Points For $25
10% Travel Point Bonus Awarded after Redemption 166.7
Monetary value of Bonus Points - 166.7 * 1.5% $2.50
Effective Cash Back Earned - $25+$2.50 $27.50
Effective Cash Back Rate for Everyday Purchases - $27.50/$833.50 3.3%

Money Spent on a NYOP / Express Deal Purchase $333.40
Points Earned from Purchase (5 Points/Dollar) / Points needed to Redeem a $25 NYOP Purchase 1,667
Effective Cash Back Rate for NYOP / Express Deal Purchases - $27.50/$333.40 8.25%

Pedant here. Technically speaking, you need to sum the infinite series. Your problem is that you put the monetary value of the points in before you've actually solved for it (the points are worth more than 1.5 cents apiece; when you use those points to redeem for a future NYOP purchase, they get a fraction of themselves back too, and so on and so forth for the points generated by those points). But the remaining terms of the infinite series are gone from your rounding error (real CashBack assuming optimal usage is 3.333...%, you have 3.299% here). This does seem to make a difference for your second calculation -- true valuation should be 8.33%, not 8.25%.

rated:
Heh, love this forum.

rated:
chucklesmcgee said:   DavidScubadiver said:   Am I correct that regular travel purchases on Priceline (not NYOP)are treated no more favorably than other travel purchases -- so that there is no benefit to redeeming points against airline tickets that I happened to book through Priceline.com over redeeming points against train tickets bought elsewhere?

Very curious to figure this out right now

FWIW, I use my Priceline card to fund a Disney Saving account. I have a vacation planned for this summer at Disney Grand California. When I build up Priceline points I will fund "make a purchase" toward my Disney saving account. I then redeem Priceline points toward that fund, usually 2500 points for a $25 funding, I then get 10% back.

To answer the question my none NYOP travel expenses are getting 10% points back.

rated:
Fuerza said:   

To answer the question my none NYOP travel expenses are getting 10% points back.

How? Just by being sure to redeem the CashBack towards the travel purchases?

rated:
Fuerza said:    When I build up Priceline points I will fund "make a purchase" toward my Disney saving account. I then redeem Priceline points toward that fund, usually 2500 points for a $25 funding, I then get 10% back.
  Just to clarify, you are saying that you can confirm that Disney savings account deposits account do get the 10% point refund?  AND, your non-NYOP purchases at PL (what are those please?) are getting 10%  point refund also?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

rated:
DaveHanson said:   Fuerza said:    When I build up Priceline points I will fund "make a purchase" toward my Disney saving account. I then redeem Priceline points toward that fund, usually 2500 points for a $25 funding, I then get 10% back.
  Just to clarify, you are saying that you can confirm that Disney savings account deposits account do get the 10% point refund?  AND, your non-NYOP purchases at PL (what are those please?) are getting 10%  point refund also?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!

Disney savings account funding is counting as a "travel" purchase. When I redeem points toward that travel expense it gets 10% back.

So, sorry if I was confusing at first. My travel purchases when I redeem points are getting 10% back.

rated:
phototristan said:   Fuerza said:   

How? Just by being sure to redeem the CashBack towards the travel purchases?

Yes, I make small purchases $25 with my Priceline card toward Disney Saving account. When build up everyday 2 points purchases I redeem toward those $25 Disney Saving purchases.

rated:
bppcomplete said:   
ZJamaican said:   
lithopedion said:   
ZJamaican said:   Just wanted to point out that with the new 10% bonus + the NYOP redemption tier upgrade this card is now effectively a 3.3% CashBack card for "everyday" purchases and a 8.25% CB card for NYOP/Express deal purchases as long as you always redeem against a NYOP/Express deal purchase. This is pretty huge imo and makes this card the highest CB card that I know of. With the elimination of the FTF and 120 days to redeem it's an amazing upgrade, best one I've seen for credit card. When I first got this card I thought it's days were numbered given it was already offering 2% CB and most 2% don't last very long. This was an awesome surprise.

Trying to understand.. how did you calculate 3.3 and 8.25% ?

It's a little tricky and lengthy to explain in detail especially with the new 10% travel bonus and there's a few different ways to calculate the effective CB rate but I chose this sort of logical flow route:

Money Spent on an "Everyday Purchase" $833.50
Points Earned from Purchase (2 Points/Dollar) / Points needed to Redeem a $25 NYOP Purchase 1,667
Effective Cash Back Rate for Everyday Purchases - $27.50/$833.50 3.3%

Money Spent on a NYOP / Express Deal Purchase $333.40
Points Earned from Purchase (5 Points/Dollar) / Points needed to Redeem a $25 NYOP Purchase 1,667
Effective Cash Back Rate for NYOP / Express Deal Purchases - $27.50/$333.40 8.25%

Pedant here. Technically speaking, you need to sum the infinite series. Your problem is that you put the monetary value of the points in before you've actually solved for it (the points are worth more than 1.5 cents apiece; when you use those points to redeem for a future NYOP purchase, they get a fraction of themselves back too, and so on and so forth for the points generated by those points). But the remaining terms of the infinite series are gone from your rounding error (real CashBack assuming optimal usage is 3.333...%, you have 3.299% here). This does seem to make a difference for your second calculation -- true valuation should be 8.33%, not 8.25%.

Yes, you are correct and it brings me joy that you pointed this out, I do like accurate answers and you took it the next level, the good news is you're more accurate calculation means... more CashBack! Good news in my book. I actually did recognize this issue when I did my calculation / made the table however I didn't want to over complicate things / confuse people so I made it just slightly more simple / conservative. 

rated:
It sounds like it doesn't need to be a NYOP purchase to qualify for the 1.5 cents/point rate.

From Barclay's CS:

"Eligible purchases should be over $25.00 and made in the past 120 days. Statement credits toward eligible Priceline.com purchases are your best value. For instance, 10,000 points can be redeemed for a $150 statement credit toward an eligible Priceline.com purchase, or a $100 statement credit toward another purchase. Thus, a $25.00 statement credit for a Priceline purchase is for 1,666 points."

rated:
I like this card and my SallieMae in terms of rewards, but just got through dealing with Barclay's CS regarding the first disputed charge that I've had on either card since I opened my account, years ago. They were MISERABLE to deal with. Worst I've come across in years.

rated:
irobot said:   I like this card and my SallieMae in terms of rewards, but just got through dealing with Barclay's CS regarding the first disputed charge that I've had on either card since I opened my account, years ago. They were MISERABLE to deal with. Worst I've come across in years.

Agreed. This is why I will only use my AMEX card for purchases where I think I would have to do a dispute such as eBay purchases or when buying from a lessor-known online store. 

rated:
phototristan said:   
irobot said:   I like this card and my SallieMae in terms of rewards, but just got through dealing with Barclay's CS regarding the first disputed charge that I've had on either card since I opened my account, years ago. They were MISERABLE to deal with. Worst I've come across in years.

Agreed. This is why I will only use my AMEX card for purchases where I think I would have to do a dispute such as eBay purchases or when buying from a lessor-known online store. 

+1.

I won't put any big purchases on Barclays from now on.

rated:
I didn't necessarily mind how Barclay handles things. It's not necessarily harder---it's just different. They want you to dispute the charges in writing and if you call in then they will tell you that they will mail you a form. I've had a situation come up a few time...maybe more than I should have and I use this card just because I do know that Barclay will handle this sort of thing well.

rated:
myfrogger said:   I was told that currently there are no foreign transaction fees. You could double check with customer service.
  I requested a copy of my current Cardmember Agreement for my Priceline rewards Visa card on March19, 2015 and received it on April 3, 2015.  And it confirms:
Transaction Fees: Foreign Transaction: 0% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.

I have another Barclays creditcard - a 3% Foreign Transaction Fee is still mentioned for this Mastercard in the recently requested Cardmember Agreement.

rated:
I feel like this card has way too many benefits, they have to be planning on reintroducing it with a yearly fee.

rated:
Medikit said:   I feel like this card has way too many benefits, they have to be planning on reintroducing it with a yearly fee.
 Unlikely they'll put an AF on grandfathered cards.  More likely change to the earning rate of new cards - 1 point per $1 spent.  Remember, for new issues, this card isn't that spectacular.

rated:
Has anyone purchased miles and gotten the extra 10%? The American Airlines miles program merger is doing an offer of extra miles when you buy or gift miles. Might be a good way to rack up miles for a future vacation.

rated:
I have found the dispute resolution process to be the worst I have ever experienced.
They won't communicate by e-mail.
If you fill the dispute out on-line they wind up requiring you to write a letter explaining the dispute.
If you write the letter, you can't e-mail it you have to use a fax.
If you send the letter explaining the dispute, they then tell you they need written documentation.
If you send the written documentation, of course, you have to fax it.
And if you fax it and it comes out blurry, they don't tell you.
Instead, they tell you that you failed to submit the information and you have to call them again to find out what hell they are talking about.

Oh, and if they give you a credit after the investigation, you don't get to keep the money. They do a charge back if the merchant complains and ... wait for it ... you have to do the whole thing over again.

rated:
But, of course, the Cash Back is too sweet to cancel the card over their idiotic process.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   But, of course, the Cash Back is too sweet to cancel the card over their idiotic process.
  Thank you for this post.  It made me smile, it brightened my day just a bit, and of course I agree with your thinking.  

rated:
Whoa!  Just logged into my Priceline account, and also my Sallie Mae account, and all my reward points are gone!!

Have to assume they are just doing maintenance . . . or something innocent like that.  At least I hope that's the only thing going on!!

Sunday maintenance.  Sounds reasonable.  Right?

ETA

Also they took Bill Shatner's photo off the card.  Not that that's as bad as losing all my reward points!

ETA

OK, very strange stuff.  Logged in again and everything is back to normal.  I must have caught them earlier at an odd moment.  It's scary to lose all your points . . . . and Bill Shatner, too!    

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   
I, and I suspect others, have points in several hotel programs, so using Priceline might mean paying for a room that could be free.
I suspect most "road warriors" might find this hard, but some may be in a position to do so.

When paid hotel rates are relatively low, I usually just pay cash rather than use points.  By saving my hotel points for occasions when paid rates are relatively high, I extract even more value from them (albeit value in the future rather than value now).

So even though I play hotel point games and have a nice stash of hotel points, I still easily do enough Priceline NYOP or Express Deal bookings to redeem this card's points at the 1.5% bonus rate.

These recent changes are enough for me to start putting spend on this card again.  Like others, I prefer Amex dispute resolution to Barclay's, but there are lots of transactions that I'm pretty confident I won't need to dispute.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015