• filter:
  • 123 4 514
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I was disappointed when I read the fine print on the $60 NYOP cash... it is really a gimmick and not worth it unless you are going to use it anyways...

As for the card, it does have the 5% NYOP and the 2% on everything else and it rounds the points up, so it is actually a tad more!! Plus when you use the points on a NYOP purchase as the 'payback' it requires 10% less points for the payback! On top of Fatwallet Cash, that makes NYOP purchases pretty good. I am happy with this card, using it for everything right now...

rated:
oko said:   Rasheed: The link on Priceline site shows 5points/2points. Is this new or am I missing something?

http://www.priceline.com/promo/priceline_rewards_card.asp

When you click on "Choose your card", (interestingly) there is only one card, which is 5/2 points with $50 bonus.

This is new.

When the links first came out the card was still the old version.

Did existing customers who kept their old no fee PCLN card get converted? I doubt it.

Rasheed

rated:
[deleted]

rated:
peteypablo said:   I do use Quicken and know you can download at any time.

I can't get this account setup with Quicken 2010 for One Step updates. It asks for my user id/password/challenge question and then fails with invalid userid/password or account info. Web Connect via the Barclay's site works, but I really want to do a one step update.

Any suggestions?

rated:
Foreign national on visa here but with ~10 years of credit history. Got approved right away with 18800 limit.

rated:
In for one since I've been lacking a 2% card. BTW, if you don't get approved, you can immediately call the reconsideration dept and plead your case at : 866-408-4064 (open business hours only).

rated:
Applied and got deferred. I wasn't surprised because Barclays was the only card issuer who took AA against me for a couple of mini-AORs, and cut my limit from 10k to 1k. Imagine my surprise when I got an email that my account had been approved, and even more of a surprise that the card limit was $18k!

Oddly enough (although maybe not for this outfit) the rewards TOC lists two different earning schemes, yet my rewards program overview screen has a completely different one (2 miles/$, 5000 miles after 1st use, 1 mile/1$BT up to 5k).

rated:
Oh-me-of-little-faith confirmed what rasheedb stated. Despite my rewards tab mentioning miles per dollar, I received two points for every dollar I spent and points redeemed at a point = 1 cent. The statement credit had to be redeemed against a charge over $25 and it made me redeem against the whole amount, so I'm not sure if you can, say, redeem 3000 points ($30) against a $40 purchase (if that's all the points you have).

Seems like a great card. I'm ducking back into gardening because of the impact the card had on my relatively thin file's average age of account.

rated:
In related news, the annual fee card is no longer offered to new cardholders directly on the Priceline website. What happens to existing card holders, I have no idea.

Rasheed

rated:
JDCMAN said:   Oh-me-of-little-faith confirmed what rasheedb stated. Despite my rewards tab mentioning miles per dollar, I received two points for every dollar I spent and points redeemed at a point = 1 cent. The statement credit had to be redeemed against a charge over $25 and it made me redeem against the whole amount, so I'm not sure if you can, say, redeem 3000 points ($30) against a $40 purchase (if that's all the points you have).

To clarify, you can't redeem 3000 points on a >$30 purchase. You must pay the purchase in full, and it must be at least $25.00. BTW, You get a slight bonus if you use your points to pay off Priceline purchases. So, if you do sufficient Priceline purchases anyways, then this card becomes >2.25% CashBack card.

rated:
novocane said:   JDCMAN said:   Oh-me-of-little-faith confirmed what rasheedb stated. Despite my rewards tab mentioning miles per dollar, I received two points for every dollar I spent and points redeemed at a point = 1 cent. The statement credit had to be redeemed against a charge over $25 and it made me redeem against the whole amount, so I'm not sure if you can, say, redeem 3000 points ($30) against a $40 purchase (if that's all the points you have).

To clarify, you can't redeem 3000 points on a >$30 purchase. You must pay the purchase in full, and it must be at least $25.00. BTW, You get a slight bonus if you use your points to pay off Priceline purchases. So, if you do sufficient Priceline purchases anyways, then this card becomes >2.25% CashBack card.

But if you redeem your points on a NYOP option, you lose out on the 5% reward, so you need to calculate which is greater: Using NYOP, accruing 5% rewards and redeeming your points at 2% for some other purchase or redeeming your point at 2.25% for Priceline...

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   
But if you redeem your points on a NYOP option, you lose out on the 5% reward, so you need to calculate which is greater: Using NYOP, accruing 5% rewards and redeeming your points at 2% for some other purchase or redeeming your point at 2.25% for Priceline...

Nuts, if you redeem rewards as credit for a NYOP purchase, you still get the 5% reward on that purchase.

Here's an example:
I buy $2000 worth of misc stuff = 4000 points
I make a NYOP purchase of $46.56 = 233 points

I now have 4233 points. PL will let me redeem them against any misc purchase from $25 to $42.33 at a rate of $1 for 100 points, or I can redeem them against my NYOP purchase at the rate of $1 for 90.91 points (i.e., a $46.56 credit for 4233 points). When I redeem points, I get a statement credit and I don't lose the original points earned on that purchase.

The math works out such that if your NYOP purchases are at least 2.4% of the amount of your non-NYOP purchases on this card, you're earning 2.2% CB on your non-NYOP purchases (in addition to the 5% CB on your NYOP purchases).

rated:
novocane said:   JDCMAN said:   Oh-me-of-little-faith confirmed what rasheedb stated. Despite my rewards tab mentioning miles per dollar, I received two points for every dollar I spent and points redeemed at a point = 1 cent. The statement credit had to be redeemed against a charge over $25 and it made me redeem against the whole amount, so I'm not sure if you can, say, redeem 3000 points ($30) against a $40 purchase (if that's all the points you have).

I just signed up two days ago for this card by the way ($11k credit limit, but I used the link thru their website, not the secret one here. Terms and conditions the same except the APR is 14.99 or 21.99 (not three options) and 15 months of 0% APR instead of 12. Other than that, everything is the same: 5x NYOP and 2x everything else. (Link starting point, Link specifying card details.)

Ugh... so you can't earn 2500 points and apply it on a high dollar purchase? This stinks as I was planning on paying my rent with this card as 2% back beats the 1% convenience fee for paying with a CC. I can still get the points, but I can't use it towards my rent?

This caveat is going to be a pain to get that 2% back without unnecessary spending as I already have a card for gas and groceries (where $25 purchases are more likely to occur). Well I do have a Virgin Mobile cell phone account that bills at $26.63 every month, so I guess it's not too bad.

I think this is how they are able to offer the 2% Cash Back as it isn't the easiest to redeem compared to true cash-back cards.

rated:
Also noticed the card's 14.99 or 21.99 APR for 15 months version (and 5% NYOP, 2% everything else) can also be obtained directly at this simple url:

https://www.pricelinevisa.com/

rated:
nelmr said:   I think this is how they are able to offer the 2% Cash Back as it isn't the easiest to redeem compared to true cash-back cards.

You could say this, but we have been rather clear since the beginning of this thread how Barclay works with their points (all of their cards likely work the same way). Because of all of the other aspects of this program (lower redemption rates for NYOP, points posted quickly), I find it much better than most 2% cards. Yes, you need to do a spectrum of charges on this card (not just big ones, not just small ones). This card has most value when you put most of your spending toward it.

I think it is better than Sally Mae from what I read on thresholds, but maybe not as hot as the 6 months of AARP card. Aside from CapOne business, I cannot think of a better Visa/MC card currently available on the market for domestic spending.

My position on this card now is can it survive long-term with the open application. I do not think so unless people have substantial NYOP spending on the card.

Rasheed

rated:
rasheedb said:   You could say this, but we have been rather clear since the beginning of this thread how Barclay works with their points (all of their cards likely work the same way).

That's fine, this is my first Barclay card. I just glossed over that. And with the cell phone payment, I've found an easy way to redeem the points.

rasheedb said:   This card has most value when you put most of your spending toward it.

Yep, and is why I want to put big ticket items on it (rent, utilities, etc).

rasheedb said:   I think it is better than Sally Mae from what I read on thresholds... I cannot think of a better Visa/MC card currently available on the market for domestic

Yep, didn't like the huge threshold on the Sally Mae. So it was either this or the Household Master Card for me. This being a signature VISA, seemed to be a better option.

rasheedb said:   My position on this card now is can it survive long-term with the open application. I do not think so unless people have substantial NYOP spending on the card.

Well, I hope that part doesn't hold true. As 2% general Cash Back is great. At least this card isn't being advertised alongside the more mainstream offerings (i.e. Chase Freedom, Discover More, AMEX Blue Cash, Venture, etc) at the credit card compare sites (yet).

rated:
Does anyone know if Priceline/barclay reports your credit line to all three credit bureaus?

I'm concerned that since this is a Signature Visa that it may be reported as no-preset credit limit (since reading up on signature visas this seems to be a common complaint). From what I understand it is up to the issuers discretion whether or not they report limits. So can anyone chime in on this? Online it shows my credit line, I just want to make sure this gets communicated with the bureaus.

rated:
Shatner will no longer be the spokesperson...

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   Shatner will no longer be the spokesperson...

The story behind this change makes no sense with this card. Effectively, Priceline is trying to de-emphasize bidding (some say that they would allow it go away) since retail is so important. I know from all of the Delta/AA internet sales showdowns last year that they heavily value Priceline retail. Basically, you go in, do your hotel/car/air price lookup. You could then bid if you do not like the retail prices or you just take the retail offering and effectively avoid the 'headaches' of bidding. Apparently, this happens a lot more often.

So, why do a 5% NYOP feature and not have an extra incentive for retail purchases? This is why I am keeping the $29 card until I see how this plays out.

Weird stuff.

Rasheed

rated:
nelmr said:   Does anyone know if Priceline/barclay reports your credit line to all three credit bureaus?

I'm concerned that since this is a Signature Visa that it may be reported as no-preset credit limit (since reading up on signature visas this seems to be a common complaint). From what I understand it is up to the issuers discretion whether or not they report limits. So can anyone chime in on this? Online it shows my credit line, I just want to make sure this gets communicated with the bureaus.

Don't know about EQ but my CL for this card is definitely reported to EX & TU.

rated:
nelmr said:   Does anyone know if Priceline/barclay reports your credit line to all three credit bureaus?My Priceline Visa card is a Signature card and I can confirm that they report the credit limit to Experian. The Type of credit is labeled as Flex Spending related to the Signature status. More-and-more credit card companies report for the Signature cards the limits (Chase, Citicard, Barclay); in my selection only BoA not (persistently, also not after requesting it).

rated:
Thanks OP and others. I move from Schwab/FIA 2% to CapOne 1.5% and now back to 2% with this one.

rated:
Can i buy visa/mc or gas giftcards on NYOP?

rated:
pyro123 said:   Can i buy visa/mc or gas giftcards on NYOP?

NYOP = Name your own price, which is for travel purchases only at Priceline (hotel, air, car).

rated:
novocane said:   pyro123 said:   Can i buy visa/mc or gas giftcards on NYOP?

NYOP = Name your own price, which is for travel purchases only at Priceline (hotel, air, car).

thanks..she told me after 1st statement bill, i will be able to see the NYOP deals under the rewards tab..

rated:
pyro123 said:   novocane said:   pyro123 said:   Can i buy visa/mc or gas giftcards on NYOP?

thanks..she told me after 1st statement bill, i will be able to see the NYOP deals under the rewards tab..

I think you are confused about how Priceline works.

rated:
marstaton4 said:   pyro123 said:   novocane said:   pyro123 said:   Can i buy visa/mc or gas giftcards on NYOP?

I think you are confused about how Priceline works.

lol...And also the pricelinerewardvisa.com website...

Pyro, there was a misunderstanding, there are no NYOP deals under the reward tab...NYOP isn't really a "deal", you simple go to Priceline.com, select either airfare, rental cars or hotels and enter your offer amount...Priceline will then let you know if they accepts or rejects your offer...

rated:
brettdoyle said:   I found it interesting they ask for a social security number for authorized users. That might indicate they report authorized users to credit bureaus which may help someone with bad credit boost their score.

Anyone with experience applying for this card and adding an authorized user? Just wondering if they do a hard pull for both the primary AND authorized user. I know credit card companies typically only do a hard pull for the primary, however, most don't require the SS# when getting another card for an authorized user. Any insights would be great. Thanks in advance.

rated:
I initially applied and got a card for myself only because I didn't have my wife's SSN handy. I later accessed my account online to request a card for her and did not have to provide her SSN. I'm assuming that because they do not have her SSN they cannot do a hard pull.

rated:
Either they updated their terms, but this seems pretty straight forward. 2% on everything else, not bad:

Priceline rewards program:

The Priceline rewards™ Visa® credit card account is issued by Barclays Bank Delaware ("Barclays"). Barclays and Priceline are responsible for establishing the terms and conditions of the Priceline rewards™ program (the "Program") and reserve the right to modify, amend or terminate the Program at any time.

Upon application approval, you will be issued a Priceline rewards™ Visa® credit card account (the "Account"). To be eligible to participate in the Program you must keep your Account open and in good standing, you must be a consumer (no businesses, corporations etc. are eligible to participate) and you must reside in the United States.

If you do not keep your Account open and current, your enrollment in the Program may be cancelled and any unredeemed Points may be cancelled.

Earning Points

1) $0 annual fee Priceline rewards™ Visa® credit card – Cardmembers earn “Points“ in the following amounts based upon the types of purchase transaction charged to the Account:
(a) 5 points per $1 on “Name Your Own Price” transactions made online at Priceline.com.
(b) 2 points per $1 spent on all other transactions.

Points earned are based on the new net retail transaction activity (i.e. purchases less credits, returns and adjustments) charged to the Card during each periodic billing cycle rounded to the nearest dollar. Certain transactions do not qualify for points including balance transfers, convenience checks, cash advance fees, finance charges and other transaction charges. Eligible purchases may be made by the Cardmember(s) and/or any authorized user(s) of the Card. The Account may only be used for personal, family or household purposes.

Points will be itemized on the Cardmember's periodic statement and will indicate the total number of points earned, points redeemed and points carried over during the statement month. Points expire 4 years from the date of issuance, unless your Account is terminated earlier for inactivity.

Effective on September 10, 2010, to continue to participate in the rewards program, your account must remain open and in good standing, you must maintain your creditworthiness and you must use your card for at least one (1) purchase transaction every six (6) months (or have some type of account balance every six months). Failure to meet these requirements may result in account closure and/or forfeiture of all outstanding points earned. In addition, if your payment is late in a particular billing cycle, this may result in the forfeiture of points earned in that billing cycle. If your points are forfeited for any reason, we will not reinstate these points to your account.

Points Redemption:

Cardmembers may redeem points for a statement credit toward any purchase transaction that posts to the Account that is equal to or greater than $25. The amount of Points needed to redeem will vary by transaction. To redeem points access your account at www.pricelinerewardsvisa.com and go to the rewards tab. The statement credit will appear on the Account within 1 billing cycle after the points are redeemed. There is no maximum number of points that may be redeemed in any billing cycle.

If any statement credit you received was awarded based on purchases not authorized by you, or if credits or returned purchases from previous statements post in any subsequent review period and such returned purchases exceed the Points value on your Account, Barclays may assess your Account for any statement credits previously applied to your Account. If your account is 60 or more days past due at any time, Barclays may at its option assess your Account for any statement credits previously awarded on your Account.

First Use Bonus Award:

1) $0 annual fee Priceline rewards™ Visa® credit card - Cardmembers will receive a one time bonus award of 5,000 Points if the first purchase or balance transfer on the Account posts within the first 30 days from the date the Account is opened.

First Use bonus Awards are limited to new Cardmembers only.

Balance Transfer Bonus Points:

1) $0 annual fee Priceline rewards™ Visa® credit card - Cardmembers will earn one point per $1 in balances transferred to their Priceline rewards™ Visa® credit card in the first 30 days after the Account is opened, up to a maximum of 5,000 points.

Apply
Terms

rated:
rasheedb said:   Appears to be a $60 offer with a max of $12 per day (so you can use it for up to 5 days). Appears to be 3 star or higher requirement (no 5 star or Resort allowed). Must book by 12/31/2011. This is not very different from other bonus cash offers used by Priceline in terms of how to redeem.

You have to have received the email with the coupon which was sent after your first NYOP purchase using the card. So, you can only use if for the second or later purchase. Since the deadline is fast approaching, I am not sure they are going to give you an offer for 2012 if you have not yet already received it.

Rasheed

I could not use this in 2011, seems like they figured that out and extended the offer into 2012 for me. Nice situation.

Rasheed

rated:
FYI: I was doing some eBay reseller which maxed out my card. Apparently if you make a second payment in the same month they can place a seven day business hold on your payment...

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   FYI: I was doing some eBay reseller which maxed out my card. Apparently if you make a second payment in the same month they can place a seven day business hold on your payment...

I have made 5 payments this month with no holds (flipped CL 3x). YMMV

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   

Here's an example:

I now have 4233 points. PL will let me redeem them against any misc purchase from $25 to $42.33 at a rate of $1 for 100 points, or I can redeem them against my NYOP purchase at the rate of $1 for 90.91 points (i.e., a $46.56 credit for 4233 points). When I redeem points, I get a statement credit and I don't lose the original points earned on that purchase.

The math works out such that if your NYOP purchases are at least 2.4% of the amount of your non-NYOP purchases on this card, you're earning 2.2% CB on your non-NYOP purchases (in addition to the 5% CB on your NYOP purchases).

I'm sorry, I'm not following you reasoning here (e.g. the 2.4% NYOP purchases breakpoint, assuming I'm reading that right.) Would you (or someone) clarify please? TIA.

rated:
DaveHanson said:   NutsAboutGolf said:   

Here's an example:

I'm sorry, I'm not following you reasoning here (e.g. the 2.4% NYOP purchases breakpoint, assuming I'm reading that right.) Would you (or someone) clarify please? TIA.

I think what they're getting at is if you redeem your points for NYOP purchases you get $.012 per point (example - I just redeemed 27,489 points for a $329.86 credit). So if you redeem your points for only NYOP charges, it's a 2.4% CB card.

If that's not what they are getting at, then your guess is as good as mine.

Edit: BTW, either I got a special deal or the above math is wrong. I got $1 for every 83.33 points redeemed (or 1.2 cents per point).

rated:
Thanks for replying bbr. I'm afraid I'm no less confused...

Did you get the 1.2 cents only when redeeming for NYOP charges? Or all charges?

rated:
DaveHanson said:   Thanks for replying bbr. I'm afraid I'm no less confused...

Only when redeeming for NYOP charges. All other charges only get 1.0 cents per point.

rated:
DaveHanson said:   Thanks for replying bbr. I'm afraid I'm no less confused...

Just NYOP, but I thought it was 1.1 cents. If I had 13413 points right now, I could redeem a $147.54 NYOP purchase.

So since $6,706 of non-NYOP purchases would earn the 13413 points, it returns 2.2% if you do enough lower-priced NYOPs where you can always redeem them.

For somebody who does a lot of weekend travel like me, I inevitably end up with 6-7 Friday NYOP nights a year at airport properties at about $50 each. So I figure that for my first $1k spend each month, I'm getting 2.2%, and then 2% on anything after that.

rated:
rasheedb said:   NutsAboutGolf said:   Shatner will no longer be the spokesperson...

Effectively, Priceline is trying to de-emphasize bidding (some say that they would allow it go away) since retail is so important.
So, why do a 5% NYOP feature and not have an extra incentive for retail purchases? This is why I am keeping the $29 card until I see how this plays out.

Weird stuff.

Rasheed

I really wonder how this will play out...I wondered why they are so generous with both NYOP's 5% and reduced redemption...Seems like it would make more sense for them to offer those perks with retail only...

rated:
clemente21 said:   DaveHanson said:   Thanks for replying bbr. I'm afraid I'm no less confused...

Just NYOP, but I thought it was 1.1 cents. If I had 13413 points right now, I could redeem a $147.54 NYOP purchase.

Can anyone offer a definitive explanation here please?

I don't see anything in the T&C about more favorable redemptions for NYOP, and would appreciate having something to check against these various calculations and data points. TIA.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.