• filter:
  • 14 5 67814
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
DaveHanson said:   clemente21 said:   DaveHanson said:   Thanks for replying bbr. I'm afraid I'm no less confused...

Did you get the 1.2 cents only when redeeming for NYOP charges? Or all charges?
Just NYOP, but I thought it was 1.1 cents. If I had 13413 points right now, I could redeem a $147.54 NYOP purchase.

Can anyone offer a definitive explanation here please?

I don't see anything in the T&C about more favorable redemptions for NYOP, and would appreciate having something to check against these various calculations and data points. TIA.
The example I gave was directly from my login to the web site. They give you a table with which purchases you have enough points to redeem that are still within the timeframe for redemption. One column is how much you paid, the next column is how many points you need.

rated:
DaveHanson said:   
Can anyone offer a definitive explanation here please?

I don't see anything in the T&C about more favorable redemptions for NYOP, and would appreciate having something to check against these various calculations and data points. TIA.

I am not sure why this verification is so important to you. Is it that you do not want to make a NYOP purchase until you know for sure the points needed is better than 1 point to 1 cent? If you make a NYOP porchase, you will see that the required points indicates a discount. This is definite.

Previous post:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1125529/m16262041/#m1626...

I once got an email from Barclay alluding to this bonus program, but no details on what the discount rate was. As indicated, it can be higher than 10% (the 2.2% figure) if the purchase is high enough. What the tiers are, it would take one really big NYOP to start to figure this out. I think it took a more than 10 nights hotel stay in one bid to even see a discount rate of 15%.

Rasheed

rated:
Another data point. Redeeming points to pay for a NYOP purchase has a 10% discount in points used.

NYOP charge: $100.34. Points needed: 9122.

Normally this would require 10034 points to redeem. Redeeming against NYOP saved 912 points, or 10%.

rated:
Thanks sailwind. That's actually a 9.2% discount. Odd that they all seem to be weird amounts like this.

Rasheed, I was simply trying to get a clear understanding of what the precise benefits of this card was, so that it can be compared with other similar alternatives (e.g. the Sallie Mae card with 2% Cash Back on regular spending).

rated:
Sallie Mae 2% is dead. Plus it only paid out in $250 increments or you get less than 2%.

rated:
DaveHanson said:   Thanks sailwind. That's actually a 9.2% discount. Odd that they all seem to be weird amounts like this.

Rasheed, I was simply trying to get a clear understanding of what the precise benefits of this card was, so that it can be compared with other similar alternatives (e.g. the Sallie Mae card with 2% Cash Back on regular spending).

I understand. This was definitely covered in the very beginning of this thread by folks like myself who have been using a version of this card prior to this one. I guess we are not trying too hard to indicate how much more than 2% this card is worth.

Rasheed

rated:
Anyone heavy gaming this card with any success? Ie purchasing AMEX GC, funding bank accounts, flipping CL multiple times? Have no experience with this with Barclays - am wondering if someone else has?

Also - I have a Barclay with and $18K CL that is rarely used but has a bunch of points, so I can't get rid if it. Call and ask to reduce CL, then apply for this card? Or app and ask for CL reallocation?

rated:
pwm112 said:   Anyone heavy gaming this card with any success? Ie purchasing AMEX GC, funding bank accounts, flipping CL multiple times? Have no experience with this with Barclays - am wondering if someone else has?

Also - I have a Barclay with and $18K CL that is rarely used but has a bunch of points, so I can't get rid if it. Call and ask to reduce CL, then apply for this card? Or app and ask for CL reallocation?

I flipped the CL several (4+) times last month but none of it was churning. Most of it was stuff for resale. I haven't had any AA yet. I think you'd have to have a real good churn to make it worth it on a 2% card. Can't see buying GCs as profitable enough to mitigate the risk.

rated:
pwm112 said:   

You apply first, might get denied. Call the special credit review line mentioned in the thread earlier to transfer part of your line. However, I am not sure I want to give advice to churn users while I use my card for simple spending.

Rasheed

rated:
rasheedb said:   pwm112 said:   However, I am not sure I want to give advice to churn users while I use my card for simple spending.
A very understandble position.

I suspect this is not a great card for churning (not high enough CB, and the bank is reputed to be more attendent than most). But it's a really great everyday card, especially for Priceline users.

For the sake of card holders with many bona fide purchases, I hope gamers don't break its rewards structure.

rated:
This seems like a pretty awesome deal. How do you guys like the online interface and dealing with the banking company that sponsors this card?

rated:
Medikit said:   This seems like a pretty awesome deal. How do you guys like the online interface and dealing with the banking company that sponsors this card?

I have had no issues, I love this card. Got my $50 after first purchase bonus right away as well.

rated:
Medikit said:   This seems like a pretty awesome deal. How do you guys like the online interface and dealing with the banking company that sponsors this card?

I have no complaints. I received a generous credit limit. The card with Shatner's face is always a conversation starter. Temporary authorizations don't appear instantly like BofA/FIA, but I'll live. When you accumulate 2500+ points, you go through your recent charges and pick which one you want reversed. IMHO, this has been excellent replacement for the Schwab Cash Back card. I hope it sticks around for a while.

rated:
Medikit said:   This seems like a pretty awesome deal. How do you guys like the online interface and dealing with the banking company that sponsors this card?I am also very happy about the card I am using since 5 months. The online interface is covinient. My calls during the application process have been handled competent and friendly. I requested 4 times a reward redemption as account credit against a former purchase with minimum $ 25 that appears in the list of transactions 1-3 days after the request. A convinient card with real 2 % CashBack.

rated:
I've been very happy with it as well. I do enough NYOP purchases that I have no trouble getting the 2.2% Cash Back against them from my regular purchases. I won't be surprised if Barclay's cuts the earning down to 1 point/$ from 2, but keeps the 5 points/NYOP. Right now, I'm splitting my non 5%-category spending roughly evenly between this card and my SPG AMEX as I had depleted the latter's balance a year ago.

rated:
Just applied but got put off and "no decisioned" I hope that's just because it's Sunday.

Anyway, at least I wasn't denied . . . . . so far. It's a nice deal if you can get it.

Thanks, OP.

rated:
guardian44 said:   Just applied but got put off and "no decisioned" I hope that's just because it's Sunday.

Anyway, at least I wasn't denied . . . . . so far. It's a nice deal if you can get it.

Thanks, OP.

Come up with a good story and call the reconsideration dept when they open (business hours only) tomorrow: 866-408-4064...

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   guardian44 said:   Just applied but got put off and "no decisioned" I hope that's just because it's Sunday.

Thanks, OP.

Come up with a good story and call the reconsideration dept when they open (business hours only) tomorrow: 866-408-4064...

Hey, green! Thank you for posting that number. Will probably wait until I'm turned down, if I'm turned down, before calling. I hate "no decisions". You don't know where you stand. I already applied for and recently received the Barclay's NFL card, so that might end up hurting me on this one. Hope not. All will become known in the fullness of time.

rated:
G/F applied. Got the letter in the mail message. Called recon number right after, kissed butt, and got approved for 3k.

rated:
I am thinking of applying for this card. I have a question though. How does remption @2% work? For example, if I have 2500 points and a statement charge of $30, can I apply $25 towards my payment? Is the $25 tiered or could I have also applied $29 (if I had 2900 points)?

Also, how has the experience with customer care been with respect to rewards point redemption? Are they helpful or are you at the mercy of their automated system?

rated:
freeka said:   I am thinking of applying for this card. I have a question though. How does remption @2% work? For example, if I have 2500 points and a statement charge of $30, can I apply $25 towards my payment? Is the $25 tiered or could I have also applied $29 (if I had 2900 points)?
You can apply any points value of 2500+ against purchases of $25+ made in the recent period (I think it's 60 days, but I'm not sure). So if you had 2834 points and your recent charges were $26.46 and $29.35, you'd be able to apply 2646 of your points against the $26.46 charge, and keep the remaining points for the next time you get up over 2500.

rated:
freeka said:   Also, how has the experience with customer care been with respect to rewards point redemption? Are they helpful or are you at the mercy of their automated system?

You login to your account ONLINE and select the transaction you want to pay with points...

rated:
Thank you all.

rated:
Experience so far could be better. Applied last Sunday with promise of instant decision. Instead got a "no decision". OK It was a Sunday. But now it's Thursday late and still I have no decision.

I wish they would just turn me down, if that's my fate, so I could ask for reconsideration. As it is I'm in limbo. They are very tight lipped about my outcome. Heck, I don't even know for sure I've been turned down. But if not, it sure is taking them a while to approve me. If it's their thought to insist on notifying me by snail mail, I think that is unnecessarily slow and it just sucks. Sure could use this card. Right now prospects are not looking all that great.

Maybe I should complain to William Shatner personally.

rated:
No complaints using the card here, have had it for 5 months, redemptions work well, customer service is polite. Just used the Fandango Visa Signature 2 tickets for the price of one deal and it was good.

Question though, has anybody actually used the Visa Signature Concierge? How good/practically useful is it?

rated:
guardian44 said:   Experience so far could be better. Applied last Sunday with promise of instant decision. Instead got a "no decision". OK It was a Sunday. But now it's Thursday late and still I have no decision.I applied in Nov. and got a message: They need more time for decision about the application at the end of the online application.
Checked the status at the application site by Barclay:
https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/japply/checkstatus.do?default_...
Figured out that a letter with the denied application was prepared. I could download the pdf of it. Used the recommended Barclay backdoor number 866-408-4064 (Credit Analyst) Mo-Fr 8am-5pm EST - and it was really working like a charm: After only 12 min. I got approved with $ 7,500 credit limit.

So, check your application status and - if you are denied - don't hesitate to give it a chance at the backdoor number.

rated:
NewFarmBoy said:   guardian44 said:   Experience so far could be better. Applied last Sunday with promise of instant decision. Instead got a "no decision". OK It was a Sunday. But now it's Thursday late and still I have no decision.I applied in Nov. and got a message: They need more time for decision about the application at the end of the online application.
Checked the status at the application site by Barclay:
https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/japply/checkstatus.do?default_...
Figured out that a letter with the denied application was prepared. I could download the pdf of it. Used the recommended Barclay backdoor number 866-408-4064 (Credit Analyst) Mo-Fr 8am-5pm EST - and it was really working like a charm: After only 12 min. I got approved with $ 7,500 credit limit.

So, check your application status and - if you are denied - don't hesitate to give it a chance at the backdoor number.

Hey, man. That's very thoughtful of you to post that for me. Thanks and green!!

To be completely honest, though, I had discovered that page on my own several days ago. I've been checking it all week, couple of times each day, and all they tell me is that they still are working on my stupid application. This is like waiting for the guillotine to fall. Heck, if they thought I was creditworthy they would have approved me almost a week ago. I just wish they'd drop the darn blade and make my fate official. Then I can apply for reconsideration and maybe have my head re-attached.

rated:
I've looked at the on-line application for the Priceline 2% card. As much as I love the Negotiator, I'd rather get a plain blue card. Is there some way to indicate this preference with the on-line app or should I go the old-fashioned route with a phone call? Thanks.

rated:
sayhey said:   I've looked at the on-line application for the Priceline 2% card. As much as I love the Negotiator, I'd rather get a plain blue card. Is there some way to indicate this preference with the on-line app or should I go the old-fashioned route with a phone call? Thanks.I work for a PCLN competitor and use this as my primary card. If I'm with someone at work and I need to pay for something I hand it to the waiter/cashier face down. I am seriously considering taking sandpaper to the front of it.

rated:
sayhey said:   I've looked at the on-line application for the Priceline 2% card. As much as I love the Negotiator, I'd rather get a plain blue card. Is there some way to indicate this preference with the on-line app or should I go the old-fashioned route with a phone call? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure there's an option in the online application to select whether or not to have Shatner on your card design. I applied about 3 months ago, opted for the plain design, and that's what I received, all without any phone calls.

rated:
guardian44 said:   Experience so far could be better. Applied last Sunday with promise of instant decision. Instead got a "no decision". OK It was a Sunday. But now it's Thursday late and still I have no decision.

I wish they would just turn me down, if that's my fate, so I could ask for reconsideration. As it is I'm in limbo. They are very tight lipped about my outcome. Heck, I don't even know for sure I've been turned down. But if not, it sure is taking them a while to approve me. If it's their thought to insist on notifying me by snail mail, I think that is unnecessarily slow and it just sucks. Sure could use this card. Right now prospects are not looking all that great.

If you read the previous posts, you'd see the reconsider number posted...Even in limbo you can call now (or when they're actually open, on Monday) for an instant decision...

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   guardian44 said:   Experience so far could be better. Applied last Sunday with promise of instant decision. Instead got a "no decision". OK It was a Sunday. But now it's Thursday late and still I have no decision.

If you read the previous posts, you'd see the reconsider number posted...Even in limbo you can call now (or when they're actually open, on Monday) for an instant decision...

OK. Thanks! Sounds like a plan!

rated:
Only Citizens and GC's can apply..

rated:
Had to split my credit card line between Priceline and the NFL card in order to get both. :'( 10k for PL. 5k for NFL.

rated:
Just a data point in case anyone still is considering this card:

I finally was approved, but it took them two weeks to make a decision. I appreciate the help I was offered here. But in the end I sort of got pissed off and just said f*** it, I don't care. I refused to call them. So the two weeks is what happens when you don't call. This while, on the application, they promise an instant decision. I never expected instant, but two weeks to approve a credit card is ridiculous.

There is something wrong with this outfit. Their website also seems to be lethargic. But anyway, no heartfelt complaints and I will be grateful to have the fifty bucks and the 2% . . . . when I'm not getting 5% on my other cards. Of course the 5% is not across the board and the 2% is. So this card will get some use.

rated:
guardian44 said:   I don't care. I refused to call them.

So, based on your posts, it is not surprising the way the process worked out for you. I am not sure why two weeks or whatever is a big deal. If you needed immediate response, you needed to talk to their credit analyst team members.

You are likely unfamilar with Juniper and its heritage, but these folks have it together. They are not the flashiest bunch, but they know what they are doing. This card obviously has been popular with certain segments, they do not mind, but they do expect you to assist the process if it matters.

Sometimes it is good to step back and "do not call", sometimes, it is best to assist in the process. I did the first part even with this newer card, but was much happier when I called. And now further, where the computers proactively review my credit needs (the credit review did not hurt that process).

Rasheed

rated:
Just signed up for this card. The online interface seems pretty clean. I'm going to miss Chase though, I really liked their customer service.

rated:
rasheedb said:   guardian44 said:   I don't care. I refused to call them.

So, based on your posts, it is not surprising the way the process worked out for you. I am not sure why two weeks or whatever is a big deal. If you needed immediate response, you needed to talk to their credit analyst team members.

You are likely unfamilar with Juniper and its heritage, but these folks have it together. They are not the flashiest bunch, but they know what they are doing. This card obviously has been popular with certain segments, they do not mind, but they do expect you to assist the process if it matters.

Sometimes it is good to step back and "do not call", sometimes, it is best to assist in the process. I did the first part even with this newer card, but was much happier when I called. And now further, where the computers proactively review my credit needs (the credit review did not hurt that process).

Rasheed

I have a somewhat different take.

Fact: They did not require any input from me whatsoever, beyond the basic on-line application, prior to granting approval.

Fact: It took them two full weeks to get around to me.

I just think they might have been able to accomplish their evaluation in a week, give or take; perhaps in four or five days. I apply for a great many credit cards. This is the longest it ever has taken to receive a decision.

Again, all of that said, I'm happy to have the card and I thank the OP to whom I have given green. All is well that ends well, and this matter ended well for me.

rated:
I don't understand your complaint. 2 weeks is completely reasonable especially based on what you wrote about your many credit card applications. Also if you don't like their business go elsewhere. No one's forcing you. Finally isn't this a UK owned company? Maybe they just have different practices.

rated:
About a week after my application for this card, Barclay's called me and asked if I was willing to move some of my credit over from another card (this is my 3rd Barclay's card). I said yes and was approved. My dealings with Barclay's have been positive.
This will be my second most used card after my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, which I use whenever I can get the 6% Cash Back.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014